[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long do you think it will be until 50TB hard drives

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 3

File: 67tdjhfgj.png (48KB, 375x309px) Image search: [Google]
67tdjhfgj.png
48KB, 375x309px
How long do you think it will be until 50TB hard drives become the norm?
>>
Probably never. A 128 GB SSD is all you need today unless you play games.
>>
>>59722294

I program play games do media production. I need 1tb
>>
>>59722230
Never. All the R&D is going into SSDs now. When SSD's reach price parity with HDDs (~5 years) expect to never see an HDD again
>>
>>59722318
>>59722294
By "hard drives" I meant spinning disks AND SSDs. "Hard drive" is a generic term for the computers main storage, whatever it is.
>>
You have cloud storage and streaming of media. Why would you need a lot of local storage space?
>>
>>59722810
Because you don't want to support restrictive DRM and other anti-user practices, nor rely on a third-party service for data storage.
>>
I'm not sure how long it will be until normal data would reach sizes that big.
My mom has been saving pictures from everything for the last 20 years on her computer, something like 4000+ images and they still all fit on a 500gb hdd with plenty of room to spare
Her 5000-ish item music collection on itunes also fits on the same hard drive
And that only takes up 60gb because of all the stupid podcasts

Even today, for a regular consumer, most can work with under 250gb of space

Now if large storage drives get cheap, maybe uncompressed music will get popular, maybe her future phone will do 8k images and maybe she'll start buying and downloading high resolution movies and tv shows

But even then in the states video is currently in she wouldn't need more than 1tb more.
>>
>>59722386
Well the flash makers are sick of price wars and would rather have profits, so they're not spending billions of dollars to drive down the cost per gigabyte of flash. The spinning-disk makers are no longer raking in the money from billions of consumer-market sales, now their market is enterprise and datacenter, because most consumers don't buy 10TB drives. So there's much less cost-cutting pressure on them.

My prediction is that you'll see consumer-sized SSDs (like, 128-512GB) stay around their current prices and everything else slowly gets more expensive per unit space.
>>
>>59722839
Okay so no reason other than autism?
>>
>>59722294

>unless you play games
Or work with big data. Or work with virtual machines... or really just have a lot of large documents in general. I still have a 10 GB CSV on my hard drive that's just training data for my old computational linguistics class.
>>
>>59722230
Who is this smol smug sexy semen sweetheart?
>>
>>59722230
What "norm"? Industrial norm?

50TB is on the small side for a typical 30 min. 3D animation project
>>
>>59726593
Explain
>>
>>59722230
Tomorrow !
>>
>>59726694
For an average small screen 3D cartoon, usually 1 minute= 1TB (and even that depends on a particular scene). The size of a 30 minute long episode (actually about 20-22 minutes, minus montages and commercial slot) is between 25 to 40 TB
>>
>>59722318
It will always be nice to have a HDD for that beautiful mechanical sound. Expect there to be cultists like the mechanical keyboard fags that will use it because of the "experience."
>>
>>59723754
>Thinking you have to be autistic to want a local back-up of your data
>>
File: steve jobs quote 231.gif (56KB, 671x682px) Image search: [Google]
steve jobs quote 231.gif
56KB, 671x682px
>>59722294
>128 GB SSD is all you need
what did you say to me you lil shiiilll?
>>
>>59722294
>>59722318
>>59726917

ITT, normies who own a "cheap" 256GB ssd and think hdd 5TB for tyhe same price is a waste a time, while at the same time having to go thru hoops to ensure not much background data is being written on their SSDs daily.

>>59726845
damn anon, when is all that data written? when you start the 3D rendering that then takes a few hours to render frame by frame at 4k, and then reencode it in h264 and h265 for review?

so a NAS with several cheap 3TB ~5TB works just fine?
>>
Ten years for mechanical hard disk drives. For solid state drives fifty years. Current tech has poor outlook for SSD capacity.
>>
>>59728090
We're still not doing 4K since most channel is still stuck at 1080i.

Actually in my section we only use a single 4 TB HDD because we're only doing background animation. Afaik on other section that is responsible for actual animation, they used a bunch of CCTV-grade HDD and do a RAID
>>
>>59722230

Decade or two.
>>
>50TB hard drive
one big power surge and 50TB of data vanishes in a sec. yeah, won't be buying one of those.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.