[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

why are there still no/only very few m.2 usb adapters, /g/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: M.2_and_mSATA_SSDs_comparison.jpg (40KB, 351x282px) Image search: [Google]
M.2_and_mSATA_SSDs_comparison.jpg
40KB, 351x282px
why are there still no/only very few m.2 usb adapters, /g/? Is m.2 DOA?
>>
>>59717153
It's as dead as any new technology because it's on motherboards and laptops nobody is buying
>>
>>59717167
M.2's fucking everywhere m8, most laptops and desktops have it, it took a while to catch up to mSATA's 1TB but then mSATA died where it stood.
Probably a lack of adapters because of the number of different connectors the drives use.
Also fuck off I just looked and there's tones of adapters.
>>
>>59717167
>m.2
>dead

ok kid
>>
>>59717153
>why are there still no/only very few m.2 usb adapters

Because the market for it just isn't there. People didn't really want the new m.2 form factor -- they simply use it because that's what the industry came up with to break the SATA speed limit for SSDs. What's the point of using m.2 with anything other than PCIe? If the SATA speed limit is fine for you, then use the SATA port -- that's what it's there for, and it's way more common than m.2. If you want hot-plugging, portability, and don't care about speed, then USB is fine. A vast majority of people fall into one of those three use cases -- and the product offerings reflect that fact.
>>
>>59717153
how are these better than sata ssds?
>>
>>59717843
i want usb adapters for technical work like cloning, servicing other machines and such, everything that isnt live use. where am i to put my new one to clone my stuff if my old one occupies my only slot?
>>
>>59717907
>how are these better than sata ssds?

m.2 opens the door for using the PCIe interface with the SSD.

The PCIe interface was needed because SSDs kept getting faster, but the SATA standard wasn't keeping up. A few years ago they decided that continually enhancing SATA wasn't going to be the way forward -- instead, you'll use PCIe for the ultra-fast SSDs -- and m.2 is emerging as the standard form factor for PCIe SSDs.

If you're okay with a slower speed SSD, you can also get a m.2 SATA SSD, which saves space (as compared to the standard 2.5" SSD form factor).
>>
File: huh.png (127KB, 467x333px) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
127KB, 467x333px
>m.2
>usb adapter
>its obsolete
>>
File: Untitled-1.jpg (105KB, 650x364px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1.jpg
105KB, 650x364px
I use a 256gb 2.5" SATA III SSD as my Windows 10 boot drive. I go from a powered off state to desktop in three or four seconds. I go from desktop to powered off in one second.

tl;dr - Isn't M.2 a meme?

Here's my complete pc -
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/BfLrhq
>>
>mobo came with U.2 slot
>wtf is this use google
>literally 1 Intel solid state ssd drive uses it
For what purpose
>>
why would I want anything but an SSD in my m.2 slot?

t. 960 evo owner
>>
>>59719270
>For what purpose
so that mobo makers have another item on their list of features on the box
Just look how useless sata express turned out to be, yet its on nearly every mobo.
>>
>>59719039
It's nice to have the extra speed for running high IO workloads or multiple VMs at turŠ²o speed.
>>
>>59719270
>>59719308
u.2 will be used in the future when you want a large capacity SSD,
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.