[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://www.imgtec.com/news/press-r elease/discussions-with-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 7

File: CookLaugh.jpg (18KB, 300x237px) Image search: [Google]
CookLaugh.jpg
18KB, 300x237px
https://www.imgtec.com/news/press-release/discussions-with-apple-regarding-license-agreement/

>Imagination Technologies Group plc (LSE: IMG, “Imagination”, “the Group”) a leading multimedia, processor and communications technology company, has been notified by Apple Inc. (“Apple”), its largest customer, that Apple is of a view that it will no longer use the Group’s intellectual property in its new products in 15 months to two years time, and as such will not be eligible for royalty payments under the current license and royalty agreement.

POWERVR IS FINISHED & BANKRUPT

THANK YOU BASED APPLE
>>
>mfw Apple is crashing mobile GPU industry with no survivors

Who cares. Only droidfags will suffer from this.
>>
File: IMG_0311.jpg (41KB, 737x531px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0311.jpg
41KB, 737x531px
Holy balls.
>>
>>59715260
The meltdown is real.
>>
>>59715251
Doubtful, as Qualcomm makes its own GPUs. Droidfags will be fine.
>>
>>59715219
>power "pay for drivers" vr
>dead
good riddance
>>
http://www.electronics-eetimes.com/news/apple-hires-group-uk-gpu-engineers

>poach a bunch of high-level executives and engineers from Imagination while it continues to lay people off

>finally pull out of licensing with Imagination and watch the company implode
>>
>>59715251
Everyone avoids Imagination products because they're Jewish turbocunts in licensing and support
The vast majority of Android SoC's use either Qualcomm or ARM offerings for GPU's, with some using Broadcom offerings
Apple is doing a favor to the entire industry by finally letting those cunts die
>>
Haha, these idiots pissed off every non-apple customer by not providing drivers or behaving poorly. There was a case where a SBC with powerVR gpu was promised linux support by imgtec. Then after the products shipped they tried to extort them out of money for access to drivers. I think they wanted a fee for every unit shipped on top of the money they got licensing the GPU to the company that made the SoC.
>>
>>59715875
All their MIPS products are being eaten by ARM cores as well. Still I hope Apple gets caught up in a patent mess and has products banned from europe or something similar.
>>
I love the passive-aggressive and thinly veiled accusation of IP theft in that press release. You can feel the seething resentment just under the surface.

Once the Apple royalty payments stop coming in, they are fucking done.
>>
>>59716139
I don't entirely get Apples goal here either though. They weren't really paying them much considering. Any patent conflict could rapidly end up more expensive than just buying out imgtec. A Chinese firm will probably buy them out to strengthen Chinese IP regarding GPUs and CPUs.
>>
>PowerVR dying
Who else is using them anyway, other than Apple?

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PowerVR#Implementations
>Mediatek

Good riddance.
>>
>>59716376
They announce that they'll stop using their products, which causes their stock to plummet, allowing them to buy up the entire company outright for pennies. Then they can continue using their chips without paying royalties.

It is cheaper in the long run.
>>
>People on /g/ actually support the fascist corporation known as apple
>>
File: offthecharts.png (66KB, 1341x662px) Image search: [Google]
offthecharts.png
66KB, 1341x662px
>>59715219
>>59715260
>>59715269
>tfw your stock falls so hard it's literally off the charts
>>
>>59716701
Apple 101
>>
>>59716798
KEK
>>
>>59716701
>They announce that they'll stop using their products, which causes their stock to plummet, allowing them to buy up the entire company outright for pennies. Then they can continue using their chips without paying royalties.
Not sure how that will go down outside of the USA, there's probably laws against doing it.
>>
File: gadsden-flag.png (120KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
gadsden-flag.png
120KB, 800x533px
>>59716701
based apple
>>
>>59716798
RIP
>>
>>59716834
>Not sure how that will go down outside of the USA, there's probably laws against doing it.

It will go well in the USA because they have a legal system for companies to be able to get laws turned/changed/passed.
>>
>>59716655
Mediatek mostly uses Mali GPU's though
I don't remember a MT product using PowerVR made in the last few years
>>59716766
Imagination is worse in every way possible
>>
>>59716848
Imgtec are from the UK. Any action they take against Apple will be in the UK or EU. Apple has made so many enemies everywhere the EU will be eager to hurt Apple if they can find a reason to.
>>
>>59716931
>Imagination is worse in every way possible
Anyone have amusing stories of crazy shit imgtec has done? I have only seen vague implications from people due to imgtec NDAs.
>>
>>59716941
>uk soon out of eu
>tim cuck laughs on his way to the bank
>>
>>59715219
What a beautiful press release
>>
File: 1489210540430.png (235KB, 400x470px) Image search: [Google]
1489210540430.png
235KB, 400x470px
>>59715219
>put 70% of all eggs in one basket and hand it to Apple
>Apple drops the basket
WOWWWWW WHO COULD HAVE PREDICTED THIS MISFORTUNE
>>
>>59717010
>put 70% of all eggs in one basket
Imgtec brought it upon themselves because of their jew treatment of their other clients. Literally everyone told them to fuck off and they were left with apple.
>>
File: 1385035792711.gif (463KB, 403x219px) Image search: [Google]
1385035792711.gif
463KB, 403x219px
>Uk loses real world empire
>attempt to build a digital one
>starts whining and waging Jihad against piracy and copyright infringement
>starts losing digital empire shortly afterwards

History repeats itself.
Remember kids, don't wage war with pirates.
>>
Bongs Cooked
one more step in the apple race for chink excellence
>>
>>59716376
This is what should happen. China already makes MIPS based Loongson processors. Fuck I would love it if that happened. Imagine cheap MIPS processors in Chinese crackerjack boxes. Holy fuck that would rock.
>>
File: tidus.jpg (30KB, 475x343px) Image search: [Google]
tidus.jpg
30KB, 475x343px
>nips bought arm
>chinks will buy imgtec
>soon sharia state
LMAO BONGS
>>
>>59716989
Tim's been playing 4d checkers all along
>>
Another win for Apple, the most successful company in human history.
>>
>>59717130
>This is what should happen. China already makes MIPS based Loongson processors. Fuck I would love it if that happened. Imagine cheap MIPS processors in Chinese crackerjack boxes. Holy fuck that would rock.
I think they more or less settled on ARM-v8 now. They have domestic 24 core ARM server chips now, hardly gets reported on western websites. Not sure if they got MIPS if it would convince them to go back. Atleast if China gets powerVR IP they might be able to make qualcomm and nvidia behave more.
>>
>>59717543
I doubt they would resurrect MIPS, Loongson has been dead for 3 years now
Meanwhile their ARM efforts are doing great, along with Sunway and even x86 through VIA
And rumours say that SoftBank is just a front for the chinks nowadays, so they could own ARM
>>
>>59717413
Standard oil
>>
>>59715219
can we talk about how based a fully apple designed cpu/gpu would be on a smartphone, considering their cpus already put the industry to shame?

droidfag here, gonna jump ship when the happens.
>>
>>59717759
It's going to be underwhelming at first, but after the 3rd or 4th gen it is when the shitwrecking begins.
>>
>>59717759
>can we talk about how based a fully apple designed cpu/gpu would be on a smartphone, considering their cpus already put the industry to shame?
It's a meme, Apple just use much more die space on their chips. All the android SoCs are sold to other companies where profit margins are perhaps only 1 or 2% thanks to qualcomm and intel selling things below cost. As a result every square mm means a lot to them. Even before they had their own CPU they would often do things such as using quad channel ram on iPads.

Due to their vertical integration they can just make a huge SoC that costs 2x as much to manufacture and it's not an issue since the entire product has 50%+ profit margins. Even samsung stupidly do not have integration, they run the chip and phone sections as separate companies, so the exynos designers have to bid against qualcomm products and don't see any of the profit from the phones.

The first Apple 64bit core was pretty good for it's time but they haven't stayed ahead. Now compared to standard ARM cores Apple are probably behind on performance per $ and slower in multithreaded applications, but have a slight lead in single threaded situations.
>>
>>59717999
It's not a slight lead, it's utter annihalation, the latest Snapdragon 835 can't even match the 6s in single threaded tasks.

Also although Apple uses a gigantic die, almost 80% of it is for fixed function applications, with the largest being the Image Signal Processing for the camera and L3 Cache for Live Photos function. The CPU is no larger than the competitors and GPU is actually pretty tiny.
>>
>>59716376
Apple has already poached a lot of key people from Imagination over the past couple of years. They talked to the company last year about a buyout, but it somehow didn't work out.

I'm sure Apple's lawyers and engineers did their homework on Imagination's patents and concluded that they can safely go ahead with an in-house GPU using a new alternative architecture.

A Chinese company swooping in to scoop up Imagination's patents and little else won't matter much.
>>
>>59718296
>implying Apple won't scoop Imagination now
They literally did the same to PASemi
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.