[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to piece together a second PC that would serve as a NAS/home

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: cs01s-hs-34rigth-top.jpg (22KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
cs01s-hs-34rigth-top.jpg
22KB, 560x560px
I want to piece together a second PC that would serve as a NAS/home server/secondary & backup computer. The problem I ran into is whether I should prioritize size or parts compatibility.

Since it would be my second PC I would prefer a smaller size as space is at a premium. The problem there is that SFF builds are far more limited in terms of components, e.g. SFX PSUs and low profile CPU heat sinks. The NAS cases (pic related, the main one I'm considering) tend to be SFF though.

On the flipside, if I just go mid tower I can use whatever parts I want, even reusing certain parts I already have. I'm just curious if those that have a home server/NAS prefer compactness over parts compatibility, because I feel that if I go with a mid tower I'll regret it due to space problems.
>>
File: c03760134.png (71KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
c03760134.png
71KB, 320x240px
>>59711356
Just get the most cheapest & power efficient box/parts you can get away with and shove it in a cupboard.
>>
>>59711466
Is there an outlet that has these for less? All the ones I found for sale were expensive for the specs they have.
>>
It seems like you're concerned with form factor interfering with overall performance and parts compatibility/availability. So clearly you have more in mind for this SOHO server than just basic NAS or non-resource intensive stuff.

You'll have to further detail how much performance you want outta this machine, kinda hard to give an informed answer otherwise.
>>
>>59712268
Performance wise I would want four cores at 3.0GHz+ and 16 GB of memory. I would need it to function as a back up computer without taking too big of a performance hit, but I would also run scripts and software simulations on it so as to not bog down my main PC.
>>
>>59712339
you don't need a 4 core cpu at 3ghz to run that shit
>>
>>59712385
ANSYS benefits from multi-core CPUs, at least the package I use does. Monte-Carlo simulations also benefit from more cores.
>>
>>59712339
Get the AMD R7 1500x, four real cores, eight threads, excellent cooler. Make sure to get 3200 Mhz RAM 2x8 Gb (check compatible brands though, motherboard page), and you're good. The cooler is for 95w, so it'll be way overkill and stays silent.
>>
>>59712339
If you're going to be running CPU intensive applications then I don't believe using a smaller form factor case is good idea.

Keep in mind that everything is going to be crammed close together so so heat is definitely a concern in a small space.
>>
>>59712516
The cooler it comes with?

>>59712530
That's one of my concerns. The space limitations also mean low profile coolers only, so cooling capacity is further diminished.

Granted it wouldn't be running at 100% CPU usage every day, but a few hours at a time every so often is definitely a possibility.
>>
>>59711356
Just by a cloud service, nerd. It's cheaper and more effective than any planned obsolescence box you could ever build in 2017.
>>
>>59712578
Can my rub my dick on cloud service? Thought so, faggot.
>>
>>59712567
It's not out yet, the 11'th of April. But it has the larger cooler, and if you're into that shit, RGBs. But mostly, it's that it's rated for 95w while the CPU is 65w (as is the 1700, comes with the same cooler, 1700 is much more expensive at $329 vs $170 though).
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.