[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, How do you deal with terribly written code and a company

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 1490926159138.gif (1MB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
1490926159138.gif
1MB, 540x540px
Hey /g/,

How do you deal with terribly written code and a company that doesn't really follow good practices?

The current company I am at has a pretty large C++ code base where the code quality is pretty terrible. None of the code seems to even have any unit testing or any other type of automated testing. What can I do to improve my situation? This situation really makes me frustrated.
>>
>>59709781
>How do you deal with terribly written code and a company that doesn't really follow good practices?
You quit and let it go the /g/ way.
>The current company I am at has a pretty large C++ code base where the code quality is pretty terrible. None of the code seems to even have any unit testing or any other type of automated testing. What can I do to improve my situation?
Find out if you are allowed to refactor; if not, see above.
>>
File: kannaoutfits.png (2MB, 1232x1460px) Image search: [Google]
kannaoutfits.png
2MB, 1232x1460px
>>59710371
>You quit and let it go the /g/ way.
took me forever just to be able to get this job though, quitting so early would be pretty bad.

>Find out if you are allowed to refactor; if not, see above.
I can probably refactor some parts, but there is plenty I can't touch. It is also difficult to do while working on new features or fixing bugs. Also there is no testing, the design doesn't make it that easy to create tests for.
>>
>>59709781
depending on the structure you might be able to rewrite certain parts and piece them in. eventually you'll have a lot of it rewritten, then just explain that you have something better and maybe they'll switch. either way it doesn't really matter. it's their money and if they want crap they can keep it.
>>
Give me the Kanna.
>>
>>59710523
>took me forever just to be able to get this job though, quitting so early would be pretty bad.
Isn't that the WeInvestedSoMuchNowWeNeedToGoTheShitWay fallacy?

>>59711013
>Pedo-Neet
[Aqua_smiting_you.png]
>>
File: 1491011047574.jpg (91KB, 606x900px) Image search: [Google]
1491011047574.jpg
91KB, 606x900px
>>59711013
more for you

>>59711061
Wouldn't quitting a job so early be a bad sign on a resume?
>>
>>59711106
>Wouldn't quitting a job so early be a bad sign on a resume?
Depends. When I mean quit, I don't think in tomorrow terms, but in terms of half a year, so you have and should have enough time to get a positive employers reference, as any responsible adult would half a year.
>>
write terribly written code
ignore good practices
get paid
>>
>>59709781
I don't deal with it. I quit and find another job.
>>
>>59711106
Who gives a fuck? Good employees are selective regarding the work places they'll accept. They have choices. They don't stand around begging shit companies for pajeet jobs. They got better things to do.
>>
By being a terrible coder with shitty practices.
>>
>>59709781
>What can I do to improve my situation?
Employ testing for your own code. Buff your resume: every little bit matters because if you can show a better employer "hey, I was at this shithole and tried to make it better but no one cared," it looks good for you that you tried your best, are actively seeking a better place to be, AND still managed to get something out of it. Get paid while job hunting; you don't want to go job hunting while unemployed.
>>
Ask them for time to do some refactoring and explain that building new features on unstable ground is a waste of time/money. If they say no, start looking for a new job because spaghetti code is bad for your brain.
>>
File: 1487654634764-g.png (355KB, 555x770px) Image search: [Google]
1487654634764-g.png
355KB, 555x770px
>>59709781
>>59710523
>>59711106
Stop being a fucking pedophile and you'll figure it out
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.