[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can these really replace a good laptop? Curious about any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 4

Can these really replace a good laptop?

Curious about any possible cons
>>
As always, depends on use cases. They're surprisingly well-built and have a great screen, but the keyboard is utter shit - and let's not talk about the audio.

If you really want to embrace the botnet and won't use your keyboard intensively, why not I guess.
>>
That sucks, I was planning on using it to learn programming so keyboard is a must
>>
I have one and am a software engineer. The screen is amazing and the aspect ratio is good for writing code. But the thing is so uncomfortable to use I can't stand to code on it. The keyboard is part of it, but it's so top heavy that getting it to stay on your lap for more than five minutes is a challenge.
>>
>>59703124
I would recommend the surface book then if you want a pen enabled device but also have a decent keyboard.
I have a pro 2 and enjoy it, however I use mine for art stuff and light programming here and there.
>>
>>59703124
Seeing as you were considering a Surface, I'd say you don't have money problems, so I'd recommand an XPS from Dell, they're pretty good.
Either that or an older thinkpad, but it's hard to find one where the hard drive doesn't have thousands of hours of spintime.
Or just buy a mac, but not the newest MBP.
>>
>>59703124
You could dock it if you needed a keyboard but that defeats some purpose. I have a desktop and the surface and it's an amazing combo
>>
>>59703124
>>59703060
I use it daily as a Computer Engineering student. Idk what those people are talking about when they say the kb is shit. For me, it is almost perfect, with the only con that the screen brightness control is hidden under key combinations fn + backspace/del, and that there is no media control for next and previous.

I usually use foobar, for which I can define global hotkeys though, so there aren't many issues for me.

For a comparison, it's keyboard are at least as good as the MBAir 2012 or something that I got from my old gf. It's hardware is not powerful enough to keep everything perfectly smooth all the time, and other than that I have no cons for it. Surface Book would not have this issue, then again I think it's screen would probably wobble without a kickstand as I touch the screen, so all in all, I would surely again buy a Surface Pro 4, or wait for 5, if I were to lose mine right now.
>>
>>59703026
>can a device you can't even use on your lap replace a LAPtop
>>
>>59703636
Just because they're called laptops doesn't mean that's where you're supposed to put them. In fact, it can be quite detrimental to your health
>>
>>59703060
put the keyboard flat on the ground and it is on par with every other laptop keyboard out there. trackpad is one of the best in the windows world too. it's just a normal laptop packed into a tablet, so of course it can replace it. only case where it sucks if you really plan to write on your lap. for notes in a lecture or something you can always use the pen.
>>
>>59703719
>In fact, it can be quite detrimental to your health
That's bullshit.

Also you're missing the point, the "laptop-format" simply allows you the comfort and options a quisi-laptop-actually-its-a-tablet-format" doesn't.

MS fucked up by marketing the thing as laptop replacement while it's just a tablet with a non shit keyboard option.

>>59703769
Outside not being really adjustable and needing much more, perfectly solid and straight space under it.
>>
I switched from a X220T to one of these and it's great. The only drawback to the keyboard is home/end etc are on the Fn switch. Using it on your lap is not a problem, it's perfectly comfortable. In fact, since the keyboard doesn't get hot (obviously), it can be more comfortable than a laptop under heavy use.

Of course, the best feature is that every Macbook owner I know is extremely jealous of it.
>>
Programming on your lap is the most uncomfortable shit ever and I swear ppl make this up as a common use case here just to perpetuate the lapability meme. Do you all seriously write on your laps? I can do that for a quick write up but if I'm doing something serious I pick one of the endless flat tables or surfaces in my place
>>
No, I had mine for a year before I gave it to my younger sister.

It was nice in many ways but I'm back to a regular laptop for the better typing experience.
>>
>>59703808
Not being able to use it on my knees when sitting in bed or even on the bed itself seems much more crucial than lapability.
>>
>>59703832
Are you kidding, it's perfect for bed. You can lie back with your knees up and hold it up there with the kickstand. It's comfy as shit.
>>
Are the surface books a good step up in performance?
>>
>>59703908
>You can lie back with your knees up and hold it up there with the kickstand.
Just looking at the pic, I have a hard time imagining how it would work, specially if you're going to type something.

Never saw it in a store or used by someone IRL so can only guesstimate.
>>
i have a 2n1 and windows is just not meant to be used like a tablet. it works well as a laptop
>>
>>59703951
The kickstand folds about 170 degrees back and the keyboard can be used at any angle so it's pretty versatile. Your mileage may vary of course depending on what you find comfy but I don't find it less convenient than a regular laptop.
>>
Can you put Linux on it?
>>
>>59703997
>and the keyboard can be used at any angle
But wouldn't it get extra wonky when used everywhere beyond a hard and flat surface? It seems pretty wonky even there on the vids I saw. Guess one can get used to it but just from looking at the way it's built I fail to picture a non annoying typing scenario in cozy positions away from hard surfaces.
>>
>>59703026
my big issue with these is that they don't really look like you could literally use them in your lap very easily. That's why I chose a Dell XPS 13, and I'm very happy with it.
>>
pros: super cheap. if you ragequit your laptop you can always buy a cheap android tablet
cons: super slow. also the android OS turns lots of apps sideways. I havent spent time figuring out the fix, but for example my vpn service is presented horizontally, so i have to turn my head and go left to right on the screen
>>
>>59703026
Just go try it in best buy

It works fine has Iris Pro
>>
File: 1488405470653.jpg (19KB, 239x207px) Image search: [Google]
1488405470653.jpg
19KB, 239x207px
>>59704178
>the android OS
>>
>>59704178

the fuck are you smoking
>>
I use one as my main machine doing a lot of scripting work, and it works just fine. I have never wanted to use it on my lap.
>>
File: 11212324.jpg (110KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
11212324.jpg
110KB, 800x800px
>>59703026
>stuck with wangblows 10 forever
Haha, no. Come back when you can install Gentoo on it, you fag.
>>
>>59703026
Should mention that there are huge differences between the surface pro 4 keyboard and surface pro 3 keyboard, which is why some people might say it sucks and some say its awesome.. the 4 is better by significant margins.
>>
>>59705443
Why can't you install other OS?
>>
File: triforce.jpg (174KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
triforce.jpg
174KB, 1280x1024px
I had one for about a week and returned it. It sucks as a laptop, it sucks as a tablet.
>>
>>59705443
the older models can run linux
i think up to surface 2
>>
>>59707636
What did you replace it with?
>>
My personal experience in four words:
So. Much. Blue. Screens.

Even in large corps those things BSOD all the fucking time. Often firmware, driver or heating issues.
>>
>>59707468
>Why can't you install other OS?
Because it's OPEN.
>>
I use one daily at work (for whatever reason). Pen works great, keyboard is acceptable (not something I'd want to use 8 hours a day, but good enough for mild usage), screen is great.

Thing overheats like a bitch though.
>>
I use mine on my lap, too, perfectly fine. You just have to be tall enough to attract an average woman.

In fact, it is better than the conventional laptop in terms of using it on your lap, since no parts touching your body get even slightly warm. Whenever a friend of mine brings his/her computer for me to help on their stuff, I cannot keep their shitty heater on my laps for more than 15 seconds and we start seeking for a desk. The CPU inside my Surface Pro 4 may burn, and I wouldn't even notice it using it on my laps.

Not having the warming parts on the keyboard area is definitely a plus. AFAIK the Book's GPU doesn't kick in until you do something that requires FLOPS, so that kind of a thing could also be fine. It also has batteries down there, so I am not 100% sure, but I don't think batteries alone would heat up enough much to bother you, let alone make it unbearable.

One thing is for sure: I will never buy a laptop with parts that get warmer than my dick in a chick that are located in the keyboard area. That shit is annoying.
>>
>>59708432

>>59703636
>>59703792
>>
>>59707711
even newewer
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.