[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>install linux >find software that you need >bretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 12

File: 1488147483905.jpg (4KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
1488147483905.jpg
4KB, 300x225px
>install linux
>find software that you need
>bretty gud
>reload linux because kernel update
>try to start software
> Fontconfig error: Cannot load default config file
> cannot connect to X server :0.0
>FFFUUUUUU!
>>
>tfw Linux is so stable that you probably broke it 2 weeks ago without realizing it.
>>
>>59699765
>victim blaming
>>
File: install-linux.png (264KB, 3840x1080px) Image search: [Google]
install-linux.png
264KB, 3840x1080px
>install linux
>everything just werks
:-)
>>
>>59699799
I would rather be fixing Xorg than be looking at unity.
>>
>>59699821
>I would rather be fixing Xorg than be looking at the best DE with the best font rendering available.
yeah seems logic
>>
File: 1456801902354.jpg (59KB, 700x505px) Image search: [Google]
1456801902354.jpg
59KB, 700x505px
>Install Windows
>Everything just werks
>>
>>59699845
After installing shittons of drivers :-)
>>
>>59699830

Objectively wrong.
>>
>>59699938
Are any of your configs public? Also, what panel is that? I'm an i3 user but my setup is pretty ugly.
>>
>>59699729

Serious question here that I've been meaning to ask /g/ for some time.

If I install W10 LTSB on an airtight workstation, would there be any reason to switch to Linux? LTSB removes all the bloat and keeping the workstation offline will make the computer secure.
>>
>>59701033
I think it's polybar.
>>
>>59701349
Installing GNU/Linux is the only way to de-botnet'ing Windows.
>>
>>59699729
2009 want it's meme back
>>
>>59699729
you mean install archlinux?
better use debian.
>>
>>59699938
Holy fuck that's ugly. I really wish I could unsee shit
>>
>>59699769
Who else is to blame for a lack of knowledge?
>>
>>59699938
I am sorry, but your font rendering sucks feminine penis, especially in the browser
>>
>>59699938
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2yKSFxGhb9c&list=PLdmxa89LhW8sZuDnYv1WMQZ93ih8n1SQI&index=36
>>
>>59702840
>be a systems engineer if you want to run a stock desktop OS
Yeah, no.
>>
>>59701420

Py3status.

>>59702896
Wrong
>>
>>59699765
i've actually done that :D
>>
>>59699821
top kek
true tho
>>
>>59699938
>wasting all that screen space
like a true TWM retard
kys
>>
>>59701437

Do you understand what an airtight workstation means?
>>
>>59699857
Which it does automatically.
Boot once, reboot an hour later, done.

No need to compile your own drivers.
>>
>install Xubuntu
>literally everything works
Never going back to Wangblows
>>
hey kids fyi linux sucks. it's always sucked. and just because it's sort of easy to make it work now doesn't mean it doesn't still suck. because it does. on a further note, windows sucks and macOS sucks also. all OSes suck.

it's not like any of you would remember the days of installing linux with your modem, sound card, video card, and everything else not working since you're all retard kids who just figured out how to rice their linux and put the anime on it your desktop. now suck my dick you faggots.
>>
>>59699729
>>install linux
which operating system did you install the linux kernel for?
>>
>>59701349

Should I take the lack of an answer as a "no, there's no reason to switch to Linux"?
>>
>>59701349

I personally enjoy Linux more than windows, find it easier to use and feel like I have more control over it. I have windows duel booted, but find myself never using it as Linux does everything I want better.
>>
>>59706665
>no gtk3
>everything works
>>
>>59707380
gtk3 is cancer
>>
>>59707476
It's still better than gtk2.
>>
>>59707355

I understand what you're saying, I'd like to use Linux to for those reasons but certain needs are holding me back.
I use my workstation for CG, as a library and programming.
- I'm a C4D user but I could see myself switching to Houdini ( it has a Linux version unlike C4D ), especially if they continue with their modeling and workflow improvements, but if it turns out the workflow is still clunky I'll need to go back to W/C4D.
- I'm an avid reader and most of my books are in pdf. Linux has no pdf editing software, both Calibre and Libreoffice don't have to features Acrobat has. This is a deal breaker since I need to process many books for them to work on Kindle.
- programming wise Linux is great

The only plus Linux has is better performance. Houdini/Linux users report 10%-25% better speed on Linux, however I still don't think it's a good tradeoff for the reasons stated above.
>>
>>59699769
Idiot shaming.
>>
tfw kde crashes more than windows 95
>>
>>59707702

Can't comment of C4D but for the rest I can.
Try Foxit reader for pdfs, fantasitc replacement for adobe acrobat reader on Linux. I use if on all platforms, but it does have poor HiDPI support if your using say a 4k 24 inch monitor so bear that in mind. Evince covers me for Hidpi scenarios, where I dont need detailed editing (it has basic highlighting functionality.)

Every application I used to think was essential to windows, I've found a linux alternative that's better or equal. I discovered vim switching to linux and although I miss some old functionality of VS, the speed in editing is well worth it.

I woulden't switch to linux unless you have a week you can spend configuring it and learning how to transition over. Past that point you wont go back. Hope that helps.
>>
>>59699821
Unity runs on top of xorg you fucking retard.
>>
What the fuck do you people do to break your system so much? I've been using Arch for 2 years now, running pacman -Syu every day and I've never had so much as a hiccup.
>>
>>59708163

Never said it didn't you fucking retard. People who install unity aren't going to break it.
>>
>>59699938
>a redundant clock in one terminal
>two (2) browser windows with normie sites
>alsamixer because he can't bind sound control to a keyboard combo
>xxxxxxxxxfetch
>crappy visualizer
>shitty colours
Look closely and remember >>>/g/. This man installed gahnoo.
>>
>>59705246
Less than you typically waste with a floating wm. Calm your inferiority complex.
>>
>>59708204
I wonder the same thing thing, but we'll just get memed on for denying the memes.
>>
>>59699729
>Install kde neon
>add proprietary drivers ppa and install the nvidia drivers from the "software and updates" gui.
>Everything just works since then.
That has been my experience so far.
>>
>>59707702
>Linux has no pdf editing software, both Calibre and Libreoffice don't have to features Acrobat has. This is a deal breaker since I need to process many books for them to work on Kindle
What about this?
https://code-industry.net/masterpdfeditor/
>>
>>59699938
>sacrificing convenience for a trendy look
>no titlebars still wasting 1 line MORE of vertical space
That's some next level retardiation, not as bad as the weebshit but you're trying your best.
>>
>>59699729
>Install GNU+Linux
>Everything just works

>Install Windows
>Blue screen
>forced updates that break everything
>go to complain
>"Why don't you learn how to maintain your system retard!"
There goes Windows' reputation as the "Just works" OS
>>
File: 1477931613846.jpg (53KB, 512x385px) Image search: [Google]
1477931613846.jpg
53KB, 512x385px
>>59699729
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59703028
Either you are very technically challenged or really understimaye what a systems engineer job entrails. Even my mother has been running Ubuntu on her laptop without any problems for years now. Installation went smoothly and everything worked off the bat.

And we are talking about someone that had to take detailed notes and struggled to understand the process of copy-pasting a file from one folder to another.
>>
>>59707189

- Why would you pay for a license for that hellspawn of an OS
- If you don't have ANY kind of network connection provably any OS can be considered safe if you are the only one with physical access to it.
>>
>>59706665
Bullshit.
>>
I'm Pro Linux and BSD but usually minor bugs keep me away from full time use from both. I usually keep a tri-boot of FreeBSD/ Fedora and Windows. Usually I wont' touch anything but Windows for a month or so.
>>
>>59699729
>he fell for the arch meme
>>
>>59699845
Everything crashes all the fucking time. On a surface pro (gpu + i7 model) installed and setup by M$ themselves. More like, nothing fucking works, ever.
>>
File: linus-eff-you-640x363.png (213KB, 640x359px) Image search: [Google]
linus-eff-you-640x363.png
213KB, 640x359px
>>59709293
No, Richard, it's 'Linux', not 'GNU/Linux'. The most important contributions that the FSF made to Linux were the creation of the GPL and the GCC compiler. Those are fine and inspired products. GCC is a monumental achievement and has earned you, RMS, and the Free Software Foundation countless kudos and much appreciation.

Following are some reasons for you to mull over, including some already answered in your FAQ.

One guy, Linus Torvalds, used GCC to make his operating system (yes, Linux is an OS -- more on this later). He named it 'Linux' with a little help from his friends. Why doesn't he call it GNU/Linux? Because he wrote it, with more help from his friends, not you. You named your stuff, I named my stuff -- including the software I wrote using GCC -- and Linus named his stuff. The proper name is Linux because Linus Torvalds says so. Linus has spoken. Accept his authority. To do otherwise is to become a nag. You don't want to be known as a nag, do you?

(An operating system) != (a distribution). Linux is an operating system. By my definition, an operating system is that software which provides and limits access to hardware resources on a computer. That definition applies whereever you see Linux in use. However, Linux is usually distributed with a collection of utilities and applications to make it easily configurable as a desktop system, a server, a development box, or a graphics workstation, or whatever the user needs. In such a configuration, we have a Linux (based) distribution. Therein lies your strongest argument for the unwieldy title 'GNU/Linux' (when said bundled software is largely from the FSF). Go bug the distribution makers on that one. Take your beef to Red Hat, Mandrake, and Slackware. At least there you have an argument. Linux alone is an operating system that can be used in various applications without any GNU software whatsoever. Embedded applications come to mind as an obvious example.
>>
>>59707702
What do you need for pdfs?
>>
File: large_TorvaldsOregon.jpg (56KB, 453x294px) Image search: [Google]
large_TorvaldsOregon.jpg
56KB, 453x294px
>>59711867
Next, even if we limit the GNU/Linux title to the GNU-based Linux distributions, we run into another obvious problem. XFree86 may well be more important to a particular Linux installation than the sum of all the GNU contributions. More properly, shouldn't the distribution be called XFree86/Linux? Or, at a minimum, XFree86/GNU/Linux? Of course, it would be rather arbitrary to draw the line there when many other fine contributions go unlisted. Yes, I know you've heard this one before. Get used to it. You'll keep hearing it until you can cleanly counter it.

You seem to like the lines-of-code metric. There are many lines of GNU code in a typical Linux distribution. You seem to suggest that (more LOC) == (more important). However, I submit to you that raw LOC numbers do not directly correlate with importance. I would suggest that clock cycles spent on code is a better metric. For example, if my system spends 90% of its time executing XFree86 code, XFree86 is probably the single most important collection of code on my system. Even if I loaded ten times as many lines of useless bloatware on my system and I never excuted that bloatware, it certainly isn't more important code than XFree86. Obviously, this metric isn't perfect either, but LOC really, really sucks. Please refrain from using it ever again in supporting any argument.
Last, I'd like to point out that we Linux and GNU users shouldn't be fighting among ourselves over naming other people's software. But what the heck, I'm in a bad mood now. I think I'm feeling sufficiently obnoxious to make the point that GCC is so very famous and, yes, so very useful only because Linux was developed. In a show of proper respect and gratitude, shouldn't you and everyone refer to GCC as 'the Linux compiler'? Or at least, 'Linux GCC'? Seriously, where would your masterpiece be without Linux? Languishing with the HURD?
If there is a moral buried in this rant, maybe it is this:
>>
File: torvalds-linus-image.jpg (14KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
torvalds-linus-image.jpg
14KB, 300x300px
>>59711893

Be grateful for your abilities and your incredible success and your considerable fame. Continue to use that success and fame for good, not evil. Also, be especially grateful for Linux' huge contribution to that success. You, RMS, the Free Software Foundation, and GNU software have reached their current high profiles largely on the back of Linux. You have changed the world. Now, go forth and don't be a nag.

Thanks for listening.
>>
>>59699938
>chrome
>install linux to avoid botnet
>chrome
>chrome
>chrome
it is like you're using a shittier version of windows with botnet included, black belt yourself.
>>
> use debian unstable for a year, literally no bugs
> use ubuntu long term support for 3 weeks, literally a new bug everyday

how does that make sense?
>>
>>59711945
Debian never gets updated. it is full of bugs but the bugs are consistent so you think they're normal behavior.
Ubugu is ubugu. Hasn't been good since 06.
>>
File: msc148.jpg (24KB, 301x267px) Image search: [Google]
msc148.jpg
24KB, 301x267px
>>59703028
Jesus christ you reckon I could apply to a systems engineering position with qualifications for being able to run gentoo without breaking stuff? Shit man NEET life is over fuck rewatching K-On ima get a job asap.
>>
>>59709288
>plug in a usb device that isn't generic
>scroll through device manager looking for clues in hardware information because everything is "unknown device"
>find hardware ID
>google it, download some firmware, go through manual install prompt
>installation of drivers reaches timeout with no error, it just stops after a set amount of time no matter what
>>
>>59699729
>X server
plebeian
>>
>>59711913

It's chromium.
>>
>>59712376
You can get chrome too from AUR or some distros repositories. They are not the same.
>>
>>59712607

Yes but that's chromium, not chrome.
>>
>>59713293

Both are usually available:

kek@ArchTux:~ [130]$ yaourt google browser

(...)

4 aur/google-chrome 57.0.2987.133-1 [installed: 54.0.2840.100-1] (1502) (34,65)
An attempt at creating a safer, faster, and more stable browser (Stable Channel)

kek@ArchTux:~ [130]$ yaourt chromium
1 extra/chromium 57.0.2987.133-1
The open-source project behind Google Chrome, an attempt at creating a safer, faster, and more stable browser
>>
File: xubuntu.png (35KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
xubuntu.png
35KB, 600x500px
>>59699821
There's always xubuntu
>>
>>59713326

I honestly don't get what you're saying. That both google chrome and chromium exist?
>>
>>59709288
>too retarded to use windows
stick to linux kid
>>
File: sweating-pepe.jpg (8KB, 218x218px) Image search: [Google]
sweating-pepe.jpg
8KB, 218x218px
OP here, disregard this post. I was messing with apparmor and forgot about it.
>>
>>59708204
to be fair, i had to do some manual interventions and so did you, but they are all described at the archlinux frontpage. it never broke unexpectedly ... never.
>>
>>59699845
>Install windows
>Everything works
>Shutdown PC
>Installs 256789 updates
>Try to boot up
>Blue screen
>>
>>59713891
>and so did you
Not him, but what do you mean? I haven't had issues on Arch either, and I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>59699729
Have you figured out how you managed to fuck it up yet? Cool thumbnail by the way. Did you realize that you were saving the thumbnail or are you that fucking dumb?
>>
>>59711945
I've noticed this with Debian vs Arch and Firefox vs Firefox Nightly as we'll. Bleeding edge gets more fixes, and depending on when you update, you may never run into issues before they're fixed.
>>
>>59713430
That he's not actually using Chrome.
>>
>>59708047
>>59709246

Those do seem like good alternatives.
What's up with Linux software only supporting some distros and not others? If I choose a distro that is not listed my choice of software will be limited?

>>59709750
>- Why would you pay for a license for that hellspawn of an OS

Who said anything about paying a license for anything. I don't even think you can buy LTSB as an individual.
>>
>>59714794
>If I choose a distro that is not listed my choice of software will be limited?

Can some Linux user address this? I'd really like to know.
>>
>>59709269
what's so convenient about title bars?

modern nornime browers don't even come with them, and those titles change all the time. fact is no one gives a shit what the title is because they're familiar with what's on the screen and don't need to be told.
>>
>>59715588
normally if it's open source, you just download the tarball/git and compile it yourself, which is infact extremely fucking easy.
>>
>>59715623

I see, so if I have the source code, the software is viable on all distros. If not then I have to use a specific distro.
The chance of needing a closed source software at one point or another is pretty high. This really sucks.
>>
>>59714794
Unsupported does not mean incompatible. It means the software in question isn't tested on the specific distro, or doesn't exist in the specific distro's repositories. You can still compile it from source yourself, in which case it will most probably work just fine.
>>
>>59699729
downgrade kerne it aint hard nigga
>>
>>59716488
STOP REPLYING TO THIS THREAD

IT'S FAKE NEWS
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.