[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is now the worst time to put together a workstation? >X99

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: MSI X99S SLI Plus BoxBoard.png (3MB, 2998x2060px) Image search: [Google]
MSI X99S SLI Plus BoxBoard.png
3MB, 2998x2060px
Is now the worst time to put together a workstation?

>X99 boards in general seem to have iffy reliability compared to mainstream platforms
>X299 boards still a ways off and don't seem to promise much in terms of features over X99
>AMD X390/X399 is still even further away and an unknown quantity
>RAM prices are through the fucking roof!
>>
>>59689519
wait for DDR5
>>
>>59689519
>workstation without ECC

Lmao
>>
>>59689584
DDR5
>it'll be just as unreliable as DDR4 graphic cards.
>>
>>59689824
>Blindly repeating memes you see on /gee/

Some X99 boards do support ECC. Pointless though, the reason you have a workstation is to do content creation of one kind or another, not boast about uptime. If you're going to lose work to anything it's going to be crashes due to bugs in your software. Way way more common than bit flips from solar flares or some shit.
>>
>>59690050
>Some X99 boards do support ECC

But only with a Xeon, not the unlocked i7s. Ryzen does support ECC though.
>>
>>59690050
Single bit errors are a pretty common thing, and the more DIMMs you stack the higher the number goes.
If you're doing any number crunching you really can't miss out on ECC, making a 3D dildo model with your quadro? ECC not really needed.
Most of all, ECC isn't all that much more expensive than regular UDIMMs
>>
>>59689519
Why would you build with new hardware? It's a great time to build with Haswell and sandy bridge components. Do you really need that 5% increase in power for a lack of legacy OS support and increase in power consumption? Fucking child. Buy a mac if you want to waste money on hardware.
>>
>>59691451
>ECC isn't all that much more expensive than regular UDIMMs
The problem is that it's a triple-whammy of more expensive, slower, and like you said, not really needed for all the dildo modeling I'll be doing.

>>59692000
>lack of legacy OS support and increase in power consumption
Lol are you serious? Those are not compelling reasons negro. I'd rather go back to Linux than use Windows 7.

My current machine is seven years old. I'm not going to buy into a platform with outdated IO from the get-go. This workstation would be pulling double-duty as a GPU rendering node, so eventually all PCI slots will be blocked by dual-slot GPUs. USB 3.x, WIFI, M.2 will need to be on the mobo already. And the HEDT haswell chips are barely any cheaper than broadwell equivalents.
>>
>>59689519
I'd say yes but wait for sales. CPU's are moving extremely slow the past 10 years.
>>59689584
>>59690045
DDR5 wont be available until 2020, underage. The rule is 6-7 years for each generation.
>>
>>59689519
Intel X299 coming out in June.

Coffeelake soon after.

Enter waitfag mode, like the rest of the smart folk around, and be rewarded later.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.