[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm a freedom advocate and I don't use social media.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: 5fEuORU.jpg (73KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
5fEuORU.jpg
73KB, 640x426px
I'm a freedom advocate and I don't use social media. What should I tell at a developer interview when the inevitable question pop up?
>>
>>59688418
>I'm a communist pedophile.
>>
>>59688418
I've only ever been asked about linkedin and I just say I prefer not to use social media, it's never been an issue.
>>
Tell them you are only interested in the position if you can use your own computer so that you can be sure only libre software is used.
>>
File: the-free-software-song-score.png (19KB, 540x396px) Image search: [Google]
the-free-software-song-score.png
19KB, 540x396px
>>59688456
Didn't you have any interviews where they focused on that point? fuck, I don't even use a cellphone!
>>59688493
I don't know if that would help, actually
>>
>>59688529
Why would they? It seems to be assumed that everyone has it so it's not too likely to be asked.
>>
>>59688418

Why don't you use Savannah or whatever the GNU git is?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (7KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
7KB, 480x360px
>>59688574
I thought they checked your facebook profiles and shit like that so they can know what you're like at your leisure. It's actually my first interview at a tech company.
>>59688583
I don't have the need for social media of any kind, free or not.
>>
>>59688646

But to get jobs you need a git repo to show examples of your work. It also helps them to see that you work well with others, which is almost as important as your technical skills.
>>
>>59688646
Oh, I don't know. I've always thought that was something they would do but not tell you about. I think it's more about weeding people who have bad pics etc. rather than looking too in depth. Not having one just means they won't be able to find you.

>>59688671
This is useful, yeah. Gitlab, personal website hosted repo or savannah etc. would all be fine though.
>>
File: xmCapex.gif (2MB, 720x768px) Image search: [Google]
xmCapex.gif
2MB, 720x768px
>>59688671
I see...I do have a repository at git. It's an intern job so I don't know how much they'll expect from it, but I'll try to shape it up some and keep it presentable.
I guess it also counts as social media, so I can tell them to check it instead.
>>
If they're older than you they won't care.
>>
>>59688722

Yeah, they'll definitely look at it. Help other contribute to other people's projects and work on your own. It'll give you a leg up on the competition. You really don't want to be the guy who only has a CS degree on his resume. Those are the idiots who say the degree is a meme.
>>
>>59688827
>You really don't want to be the guy who only has a CS degree on his resume.
I'm going to be that guy, do any tips to help better my resume?
>>
>>59689078

Contribute to an open sores project that interests you and get as many projects under year belt as you can. When people are looking at CVs, nobody wants to be the first guy to take a chance on you. Have a git repo and bring able to point to the projects you've contributed to and, hopefully, a project you've developed on your own, will make all the difference.

All the bitter CS majors on here are bitter because they did just enough work to "check the box" in university, expecting that a job would magically be waiting for them when they graduated. After applying for jobs for 6-10 months after graduating and hearing nothing back, they gave up.

Put in the effort to make yourself appear as safe of a candidate as possible and you'll be fine. Later on you'll want to develop your interpersonal skills so you can move into management as a hedge against eventual outsourcing.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.