[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So Linux still hasnt caught up in marketshare with Windows, why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 29

File: os_market_share_december_2015.png (41KB, 1265x830px) Image search: [Google]
os_market_share_december_2015.png
41KB, 1265x830px
So Linux still hasnt caught up in marketshare with Windows, why? What exactly is the problem?
>>
> What exactly is the problem?
PFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTT
AHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>59668280
Most pc come pre instaled windows, also windows support more games.
>>
>>59668280
Usability for casuals, lack of enterprise support for businesses.
>>
Shit OS. Doesn't help that no one actually uses Linux as their only OS, they all dual boot Windows.
>>
>>59668280
Terminals scare normies.

The GUI aspect of linux is severely lagging desu.
>>
>>59668324
>Most pc come pre instaled windows,

preinstalled is dropping rapidly, maybe if you buy in offline stores but online you have the option of picking no OS 80% of the time.

> also windows support more games.

games are irrelevant except for gay little kids. It shoudlnt be more than 10-20% of the user base

> Usability for casuals, lack of enterprise support for businesses.

you're gonna have to be a LOT more specific there
>>
>>59668280
Software sells OS.
Linux lacks Software.
>>
>>59668346
>you're gonna have to be a LOT more specific there.

Not really. That's about it.
>>
>>59668346
>games are irrelevant except for gay little kids. It shoudlnt be more than 10-20% of the user base
>hurr it's 1974
>>
>>59668280
> December 2015
> using old study to pretend it's not the year of the GNU/Linux desktop

But the Linux PC Desktop side... there is this operating system out there called Android which is very popular and this OS uses the Linux kernel.

Now, we just compare devices running the Linux kernel with devices running a Windows kernel then the amount of Linux devices absolutely dwarfs the comparatively small number of Windows devices out there.

I know, people usually don't call Android "linux" but that's the kernel it's using.

Linux didn't kill the Windows desktop but it absolutely crushed Windows on phones, tablets, routers and a whole range of other things.

The Windows desktop is all that remains and that is just a question of time. All we need is the right major crisis and the nations will have to accept the GNU World Order.
>>
>>59668346

>games are irrelevant except for gay little kids. It shoudlnt be more than 10-20% of the user base
The average age of a video game player is 35.
>>
>>59668401
really? lol sad!
>>
>>59668330
Does having Windows in a VM count? Because that's all I do, Debian is my only host OS.
>>
>>59668280

Being broken, fixer-upper trash has something to do with it
>>
File: 1490840773612.jpg (159KB, 638x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490840773612.jpg
159KB, 638x960px
>>59668280

I don't know why does Windows come shipped with Ubuntu these days?
>>
>>59668381
So you admit you're gay then
>>
A fresh install of ubuntu is perfectly fine for typical web usage, it just starts falling apart when you need productivity, lets not lie to ourselves. libre is still kind of shit.

Even the ubuntu software store is kind of rubbish. And the deeper you go the sense of being unpolished permeates.
>>
>>59668470
Everything is rubbish and incoherent.
>>
>>59668401
>>59668408
I have a 36 year old brother who lives at my mother's. He is what some call a NEET.

He wakes up mid-day and turns on his XBOX. He starts playing, mostly GTA V, and continuous to do so until normal people wake up.

I've had this child on and off for over a decade so I am glad he is at my mothers so I don't have to put up with him and take care of him. I do feel sorry for her but it sure is better for me.

There's nothing physically wrong with him that would prevent him from getting his shit together but he's just extremely lazy.

Yes, it's sad.

I fully believe the average age of video game players is 35.
>>
>>59668465
Yes, I'm gay. What's wrong with it? It's 2017
Now stick to the subject or get off my thread
>>
>>59668280
>marketshare
Market share on what, exactly?

I'm pretty sure Linux is the dominant operating system on servers and supercomputers as well as embedded devices and even mobile phones and tablets.

Who even uses a non-Apple desktop computer or a laptop anymore except Jill in accounting or Smelly Robert in IT?
>>
>>59668507
That's actually just sad, it must suck for all of you
>>
>>59668401

there is such a thing called 'man-child'. I also wouldnt trust that statistic all too much. It might be accurate for traditional video games on PC but if you count mobile games and facebook games, it would look a LOT different
>>
>>59668507
I don't really believe your story to be true, because this is 4chan after all, but lets just say that it is true: Why are you and your family allowing him to stay and eat your food without paying anything?

I had to move home to my parents after a bad break-up for a period in my mid-20s, and I had to pay rent to live there.
>>
>>59668525
Real-time operating systems exist for embedded devices
>>
>>59668346
Active directory with point and click administration plus ops monkeys that can't use the command line or can't be arsed to learn anything else. That's about it.
>>
>>59668553
They do, but Linux still dominates the embedded market.

Protip: So-called "Real-time" OSes are nothing but OSes with a meme certification and a crazy expensive license

Source: I work with VxWorks for a living
>>
>>59668576

ok so it's essenstially a lack of tooling and default guis for remote connections and remote management of Linux. I assume Redhat has some closed source ActiveDirectory clone that they sell, but I guess nobody wants to pay for Redhat just to get started with Linux and to try things out.
Weirdly enough, it's actually cheaper and easier to try out advanced Windows features than to try out advanced Linux features like what I meant by Redhat's enterprise stuff.
So that must be the reason then. Unfortunately I never got much into enterprise Windows IT.
Do you happen to have a more comprehensive list of what the usual work as a Windows admin entails?
My understanding currently is that Active Directory is mostly just logging in with your user via GUI, remote desktop, changing settings in a fileexplorer-like gui for remote machines.
>>
>>59668280

- Shit tier UI and UX
- Spotty driver support
- Bad UX on tech issues: google search results are hard to apply by noobs bc distro and ver fragmentation
>>
>>59668544
I can assure you that it's absolutely true.

There is no demanding that he pays rent, he has no income.

I don't invite him or ask him to show up. He just drives from Norway to Sweden and shows up at my door and then it takes a week or two to get him the fuck out. This crap happens too frequently, every few months.

My mother mostly allows him to stay there because she feels sorry for him, oh poor him who can't/won't take care of himself.

I've asked my mother to talk to a physiotherapist several times because she is in fact enabling him to do nothing but play video games all day.

I am absolutely sure that he will be living there until she dies and then he'll show up here.

This really is true. I don't care if you manage to accept it or not. It really is .. sad. And it gets worse, he has two children by two different mothers. I really feel sorry for them .. still, I spend too much on them, bought them laptops, phones and lots of other things.
>>
>>59668525
>I'm pretty sure Linux is the dominant operating system on servers and supercomputers
that shit again.
Nobody gives a crap about supercomputers when talking about market share.
>>
>>59668628
Jeg er norsk, bare krev at han betaler for helvete. Be moren din kreve betaling. Enten så ordner han penger fra NAV, eller så blir han nodt til å få seg en jobb.
>>
>>59668584
>nothing but OSes with a meme certification
False.
>crazy expensive license
False. Looks like you only work with VxWorks.

You have no idea what you're talking about.

>protip
get out
>>
>>59668648
>hurr durr windows isn't #1, so we'll just make an completely arbitrary selection and redefine what we mean by "market share" so we can define windows as market leader

lol
>>
>>59668660
>False.
That's absolutely true. The difference between RT OSes and Linux is that RT OSes are certified. There are Linux configurations that are distributed that are also RT cert'd, but surprise surprise they cost money.

>False. Looks like you only work with VxWorks.
Well, VxWorks has like 99% of the market share, so yeah. Are there even any other certified RT OSes in wide use at all?
>>
>concept of 'distros'
>dependencies not part of installation packages
>toxic community
>not single one good looking environment
>good programming APIs for devs (that not change with every new distro release or kernel update). Yeah that would help.
>>
>>59668651
Det nytter ikke, det eneste som nytter er å få han til å dra tilbake til moren min når han moter opp uinvitert.

For å få penger fra NAV så må du stå opp og kle på deg selv og gå ut doren og mote opp hos NAV. Det er for mye forlangt.

Det er en grunn til at jeg har bedt moren min gå til en psykolog, det nytter ikke å få henne til å kreve noe av den fullvoksne ungen.
>>
>>59668619
Group policy is the killer. Just set the GPO and it rolls out to everyone's machine on the network. Linux can hook up to AD but it's not the same level of control. Airwatch is fucking aids and kills every new osx

Personally I think RHEL sucks cock, and thanks to the fact that most users are retarded, enterprise should stick to winblows for its users. But it would be nice to dev on a Linux machine when our servers are running Linux.
>>
>>59668670
>durr hurr i'm getting so pissed at getting steamrolled by windows where the user actually interacts with computers, i'll pull the "muh top 500 supercomputers and servers" meme i've been repeating for the last 20 years and even add android to the mix, even though in all other cases, ill throw that OS as not true linux.
>>
>>59668711
Du har min sympati. Jeg håper i alle fall han er anstendig nok til å ta vare på moren deres når hun blir gammel...
>>
>>59668339
Is that really the case? Or is it because there are so many GUIs to choose from and no one, uniform, design.

Personally I like KDE 4, because configured properly it's just as good as, if not better, than Windows 7's UI. (For me, "configured properly meant having the right version of it and activating the folder widget.) Meanwhile, Microsoft is doing all that Metro crap no one wants.
>>
>>59668724
>supercomputers and servers
And also the thing in your pocket that isn't your penis, anon.

>steamrolled by windows
HAHAHAHAHAHA

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>59668280
Baby duck syndrome.
>>
>>59668740
i also talked about android.
>>
>>59668346
>games are irrelevant except for gay little kids.

Most of the working adults plays a game or two on their PC.
>>
>>59668322
>windows support more games.
Only relevant part.
>>
>>59668470
People say the libre alternatives to the software you have to pay hundreds of dollars for on Windows are shit, but I never understood why. Any functions that I ever needed to do could be done on both.
>>
>>59668753
I don't even care, you'd have to be extremely selective to the point where you're borderline childish to ignore Linux dominance in the OS market. There is a reason why Microsoft are desperately undercommunicating the death of the desktop computer and shifting all their focus to Azure.
>>
File: 1467131059343.png (929KB, 774x809px) Image search: [Google]
1467131059343.png
929KB, 774x809px
Most people are fucking idiots when it comes to computers. Is it really any wonder?
>>
>lack of professional software
>thousands of distros with different DEs instead of focusing on a joint Loonix desktop
>Windows is usually preinstalled
>no marketing
>muh gaymes
>>
>>59668718
>Group policy is the killer. Just set the GPO and it rolls out to everyone's machine on the network

hm ok, so it's like a built-in ansible with a live gui. Good to know
>>
>>59668691
>dependencues not part of installation packages
That's why you use repositories.
>>
>>59668680
>True because true
Then I'll play the same game. RTOS are NOT general purpose OS with a certification. Otherwise we'd just call them certified OS.
Try checking in next time after you've worked with Wind River on VxWorks internals for some time. Or maybe you haven't worked with hard real-time systems in general, just soft real-time or whatever.

Also, you are being vague when talking about certifications. Each application domain has its own certification standards.
>>
>>59668783
That reminds me, that guy from Toastytech seriously believes that Microsoft is the company that has been, "paying," the media to say PCs are dead, despite the fact that if any company was doing that, the least likely one would be Microsoft since they were the ones who were promoting the PC the most out of any of the companies.
>>
File: 1479674012254.gif (3MB, 355x201px) Image search: [Google]
1479674012254.gif
3MB, 355x201px
>>59668330
>using linux only for years
>get free W10 enterprise installer
>still don't use it
comfy af
>>
File: 1478617763695.png (251KB, 1911x958px) Image search: [Google]
1478617763695.png
251KB, 1911x958px
>>59668339
What is KDE?
>>
File: KUCK-DE-fs8.png (56KB, 1713x845px) Image search: [Google]
KUCK-DE-fs8.png
56KB, 1713x845px
>>59668858
>What is KDE?

Windows-cuck tier shit.
>>
File: 1478634201099.png (1MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
1478634201099.png
1MB, 3840x2160px
>>59668858
It can look very similar to or even better than Windows 10. And there are even more areas for customization.
>>
>>59668869
This is an original. Haven't seen this one before.
7/10
>>
>>59668844
>RTOS are NOT general purpose OS with a certification
Of course not, I never said that. Stop arguing a straw man.

>inb4 you think RTLinux or RHL-RT are general purpose OSes
It's not, they're stripped down Linux kernels with hard deadline scheduling algorithms and low-latency kernel paths.

I think you are deliberately arguing a strawman here, because you're on thin ice.
>>
>>59668855
Well, it would make sense if they're advertising Azure though.
>>
>>59668280
>lack of commercial software for people who work, be it artists or office drones (No, open sores isn't an alternative for most)
>lack of vidya (and comfy way to emulate the shit)
>lack of most basic shit like iTunes (which is shit on Windows but at least it's there)
>UI is even more of a clusterfuck than W10
>reputation is worse than it is (partly thanks to autist pushing it, partly thanks to MS anti Loonix propaganda)

>>59668347
Mostly this, yes.

>>59668691
Mhmm.

>>59668779
For one, the design. Not everyone has a 2K fetish. Other than that, it's just different from what people are used too and many can't be assed to relearn what they know. There are also often problems with compatibility (mainly due Word being shit but in the end it affects libre stuff), the auto correct options are even worse and ... holy shit it's ugly. That's just from casual PoV and about Word/Text. Excel is completely on another level and probably the only good piece of software made by MS in the last decade.
>>
>>59668280
no games is the only problem

>>59668858
horribly designed shit
>>
>>59668890
Yeah, except he mostly was talking in response to Windows 8's tablet-like UI. Which I also guess makes some sense, but, I still kinda remember Microsoft saying the PC is still relevant more than any of the other companies back then especially.
>>
>>59668280
>So Linux still hasnt caught up in marketshare with Windows, why? What exactly is the problem?

The lack of program support like the Adobe suite and games, ofc
>>
File: 1487305949551_20170218170323163.jpg (492KB, 857x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1487305949551_20170218170323163.jpg
492KB, 857x1202px
>>
Wireless drivers
DirectX
No unified solution, too fragmented in choice = confusion
>>
no apps.
linux is worse than windows phone.
>>
linux isn't made for consumers or business users.
it lacks commercial application compatibility and enterprise support.
linux is made for developers, sys admins, enthusiasts, students, nerds, engineers, "embedded" systems, hobbyists, and so on.
linux distros aren't finished devices for consumers.
>>
>>59668733
and all of them are like they were designed in 1990, except maybe for ubuntu
>>
File: wut.jpg (126KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
wut.jpg
126KB, 600x512px
>Linux
>>
>>59668884
>rtos are nothing but os with a meme certification
>the difference between rtos and linux is that rtos are certified
>I never said that
You say the only difference is certification. But it's not. You are also implying that in your latest reply.

>Clinging to rhetorics instead of replying to the content
>>>reddit
>>
>>59668280
Linux doesn't need normies to be able to exists, fucktard.
>>
>>59668347
>>59668967
>>59668936
>>59668910
>>59668815

linus talked about the reasons why linux lacks commercial applications distributed in binary form only at debconf 14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmHRSeA2c8&t=285s
>>
>>59668992
It was implied that I talked about RTLinux, RHL-RT and the likes, you'd have to be all sorts of autistic to believe that I meant a vanilla non-RTOS Linux.

But at least we have established that you are fixated on semantics and have no real argument. Also, you never answered my question: What other RTOSes other than VxWorks are there that are anywhere near being so widely adopted [as VxWorks]?
>inb4 "Lol linux :^)"
>>
>>59668733
It definitely feels like it to me. Too many parts, don't really fit together well. While we can all laugh at the BSOD on windows when was the last time you had something equivalent to X crashing on windows?
Also that's another thing. Terminals. Most people don't know a single CLI command and windows basically transitioned to the notion that nobody should have to decades ago.
Try getting away with this on linux.
>>
>>59669017
>Let's have DLL hell on linux too
Steam could solve this, then everybody should be able.
>>
>>59668280
Windows actually supports the software that people use daily, and 99% don't have autistic fits over software freedom like NEETs on /g/ do.
>>
>>59669031
>>59668992
Not to mention that RTOS is a subdomain of embedded, which you conveniently seem to ignore.
>>
>>59668280
>What exactly is the problem?
Stallman, the FSF and GNU autists in general.
>>
>>59669033
>what is policykit
Nobody forced to use terminals on normalfag tier distros.

>>59669043
Those needs slowly gone to android though. I wonder how long can Windows still relevant at all.
>>
>>59669074
>Nobody forced to use terminals on normalfag tier distros.
Ahahahahahahaha get a load of this faggot.
>>
>>59668280
What's the percentage of computer users who know what an operating system is? And how many of those who do actually know how install an OS? I have installed Ubuntu on all my family's computers (Dad, Mom, Grandpa, Sister) and none of them have ever complained or anything. 90% of users don't care as long as their computer can browse the web.

>games are irrelevant except for gay little kids.
Bullshit. Playing games is a hobby as valid as any other hobby. Would you call people who like to watch movies gay (which is not even an insult btw)? If you thing gamers make only 10%-20% of the user base you must be completely delusional.
>>
File: IMG_0099.jpg (53KB, 720x694px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0099.jpg
53KB, 720x694px
>>59668280
>OEM preinstalls
>Everyone is used to it and its idiosyncrasies
>Enterprise support, including education/academia
>Games
>not a mishmash of different packages, one environment with only consideration is what version you're on, making it easier to deploy and support
>Linux "muh sekrit klub" elitist attitude that slows development of idiot-proofing
>Linux being dominantly used on server, embedded, supercomputer etc so almost all development is focused towards those aspects and not desktop/consumer use
>>
>>59669031
>It was implied that I talked about RTLinux, RHL-RT and the likes, you'd have to be all sorts of autistic to believe that I meant a vanilla non-RTOS Linux.
>>rtos are nothing but os with a meme certification
>>the difference between rtos and linux is that rtos are certified
>>I never said that
Then I remind you you just did
>>That's not what I meant you're autistic
I won't even elaborate on this one. Also that doesn't change the fact that in your original reply you said the difference is just that rtos are certified and have a crazy expensive license. Which is undeniably false, and you know that, and keep implying that in your replies. So I won't waste further time on this part either.

I don't see why you are asking about certified RTOS in wide use, since I just stated that it's false that RTOS are just OS with an expensive license. There are many completely functional open source rtos. And again, every application domain has its own examples. Just look at OSEK and AUTOSAR-compliant systems for automotive.
>>
>>59668280
normies.
>>
>>59669074
Windows isn't going to stop being relevant soon because normies have no reason to switch from Windows to Linux, the only viable alternative for them is MacOS.
>>
>>59669017
He kinda looks like THE RMS in the thumbnail.
>>
>>59669189
Assuming neither changes. Remember how Nokia and RIM were relevant?

Loonix has almost all perquisites to take over Windows but the most important step for that would be what freetards hate.
>>
>>59668470
Never understood this. Productivity? Doing what?

I used windows and Linux in my degree at write papers. They both work for that simple task, whether you're using libreoffice or google docs. Working with data? Same. Producing presentations? Same. I'd actually say there are fewer distractions on Linux.

There are cases for either side depending on use case. Linux is a nicer environment for programming and web dev, windows is surely better for enterprise software and media production.
>>
File: torture.jpg (219KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
torture.jpg
219KB, 640x480px
>>59668280
-Fragmentation, too many desktop distros that all do the same slightly differently, which do I pick?
-Lack of proper GUI, very few distros have a working GUI for everything, I want to do everything by GUI like I can in Windows.
-Software, a lot of professional software is simply not made for Linux, alternatives are inferior.
-Old parts that need to die, such as X Windows system, 2017 and we're STILL editing xorg.conf, shitty multi monitor support.

Features that Linux does simply does not have.
-System restore, maybe Ubuntu can get ZFS/snapshot restore in Grub to work like FreeNAS has, IF they sort out the legal side.
openSUSE has Btrfs and Snapper but that breaks often from what I've seen in Tumbleweed, also a tiny community, package pool and slow on security updates.
-a SINGLE RDP like system, nomachine seems to work best?
-a SINGLE stable desktop environment, one I found to suck least was KDE on openSUSE, the any other distros DEs are buggy and lacking features.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMKeWTVYBUo
>>
It's impossible to use unless you have a CS degree. Nobody likes spending 90% of their time using the computer debugging random bullshit that has a billion potential solutions but only one that actually works for your computer.
>>
>>59669051
Were we even arguing about that?
>>
Have you noticed how much normies struggle with basic math / logic, let alone use some operating system that needs you to learn a few commands? Most people have an IQ in double digits (srs)
>>
>>59669287
How many digits do you have
>>
>>59669287
>not understanding how IQ scores work
>>
>>59669297
0 digits, just a horizontal 8
>>59669306
>he fell for the different intelligences meme
whatever helps you feel better brainlet
>>
>>59668280

Snobbery of the type of coder. GUI's are for retards apparently.

Gui based designing of apps is frowned upon as 'not real'.
>cause writing code to draw a box is way easier than using a gui with drawing tools

Eg...Same attitude went after flash/as3. Replaced it with
>html
>css
>javascript
>need canvas
>storage linkage on servers
So the future is of the 'cool' web sites no gui, 99.99% code based sites. All hail bootstrap, that will be great UI.

One example of many. Fuck GUI's is the pattern.
>>
>>59669315
>0 digits, just a horizontal 8
Nice
>>
>>59669326
<3
>>
>>59669343
Ah so it's actually less than 3?
>>
>>59668416
>I'm too retarded to learn a second operating system
Nice of you to let us know.
>>
>>59668525
>Who even uses a non-Apple desktop computer or a laptop anymore except Jill in accounting or Smelly Robert in IT?
Anyone who is tech-literate and not gay.
>>
>>59668910
>horribly designed shit
Sure. But what are the alternatives? DEs with no file picker support and screen tearing out of the box?
>>
>>59669100
It's true, though. There are very few situations where you're actually required to open a terminal if you're using something like Mint or Ubuntu(unless you're doing something normal users don't and shouldn't), and even then it's usually just to copypaste a few commands into it. Many things are faster and easier to do with terminal, but there is GUI option for almost everything.

t. Someone who used Linux without learning terminal for a long time.
>>
no games
no
games
shit drivers
shit
drivers
>>
>>59668280
>So Linux still hasnt caught up in marketshare with Windows, why?

Linux marketshare on desktop grows every year. If MS continues with fuckups like Windows 10, it's only a matter of time.
>>
Linux-based Android and Chrome OS would take non-gamer normies marked sooner or later.
>>
>>59669189
Oh yeah! It can be relevant as IBM now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_Zdq0AjhXo
>>
>>59668280
There are two basic versions of Linux.
One that everybody hates.
One that nobody uses.
>>
File: 1490479956409.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1490479956409.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>59669611
>>
>>59668280
I question the legitimacy of your infograph. What's it the market share of? How do you get a market share on something that doesn't have a market? Is Android being counted?
>>
>>59668280
>>December 2015
>>doesn't show what target audience it is
Into the trash
>>
>>59668280
usability

/thread
>>
>>59668280
Capitalism surpassing collaborative, and open platforms:

First of all, while MS has pulled off nearly a miracle in their position (closed source development), Windows is clearly an inferior product to any UNIX, and in particular, to modern GNU/Linux distros.

Microsoft has complete market control, advertising reach and brainwashing capabilities, and will enforce market share control with the full force of their power, squashing their competition.

It's important to understand:
Windows, along with it's proprietary development model, are a better product, with respect to "market efficiency", and hence are proliferated within the monetary market system.

GNU/Linux, along with it's open source development model, are a superior product, with respect to true technical efficiency, but not with respect to the market.

If you want GNU/Linux, or something like it, along with open source, to truly succeed, you need to get rid of money, and reward technical efficiency. It's that simple.

And don't worry, regardless of what you say, capitalism is currently in a state of collapse.
>>
File: 1401139146324.jpg (129KB, 501x689px) Image search: [Google]
1401139146324.jpg
129KB, 501x689px
>>59668507
>my brother
>implying you're not just talking about yourself
>>
>>59670025
>capitalism is currently in a state of collapse.
Said increasingly nervous man for the millionth time in the last 200 years.

Any day now
>>
File: IMG_20170331_140902.jpg (38KB, 620x473px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170331_140902.jpg
38KB, 620x473px
>>59670222
You're a moron.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_040325.jpg (45KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_040325.jpg
45KB, 640x640px
>>59670222
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEzSzptjS40
>>
>>59670222
How about you respond to the subject of my argument, not your extremely restricted, narrow minded views of the world.
>>
>>59670241
>The Spirit Level
>equalitytrust
n-nice source
Also I want to see the same chart but with IQ.
>>
>>59670252
>the world will be in chaos by 2015
Didn't happen. Into the trash it goes.
>>
>>59670283
He literally said 2050.
>>
>>59670274
The Spirit Level is a highly respected publication. There is surprisingly little debate there.
>>
>>59670272
You made a claim and I was disputing it. The rest wasn't really wrong, I guess microsoft couldn't really exist without capitalism so yeah then linux would be 'better' by dint of no contest.

>>59670290
Huh, right you are.

>>59670306
Erm.. S-soviet russia was, at least nominally, a highly equal society and it did really, really badly.
>>
>>59670274
IQ is a highly debate measure of intelligence. But, that as side, general intelligence falls under public health, so I would assume there to be a general improvement of intelligence in more equal countries as a result as well.
>>
Because Linux wasn't designed to compete in marketshare.
It was designed to be a free alternative and an experimental ground for various creative OS development coming from hobbyists, interns, some businesses and corps here and there who want to invest, and such.

Windows was solely created to rake in money on the other hand.

2 completely different goals and strategies.
>>
>>59670317
Have you read an edition of the communist manifesto?
It clearly states that there can be no private property and no money, and that all production is controlled as a commune.
Lenin and Stalin added private property, money and initiated a ruling elite. It was literally a variation of the monetary market system (which is what capitalism is fundamentally based on) but with more active state coercion.
That's it.
>>
>>59670342
This.
See >>59670025
>>
>>59670350
Right, right. Not real commies and all that. Okay.
>>
>>59668691
>concept of 'distros'
A good thing. It means freedom of choice.
Ubuntu is always there who want the most supported Linux.
>dependencies not part of installation packages
Package managers take care of this in 2017.
The actual reason for this would be apparent if you were a maintainer or programmer.
>toxic community
More or less I agree.
>not single one good looking environment
>good programming APIs for devs (that not change with every new distro release or kernel update). Yeah that would help.
What APIs are inconsistent? You have to be retarded if you think Windows is ANY better at consistency than POSIX. Programming on UNIX is a dream BECAUSE it's more or less consistent between various UNIX versions, with build systems taking care of the bits that aren't.
>>
>>59670372
This is from the manifesto:

"[...] the theory of the Communists may be summed up in the single sentence: Abolition of private property."

"[...] there can no longer be any wage-labour when there is no longer any capital."

HOW WAS THE SOVIET UNION COMMUNISM?!
>>
>>59668280
>Muh gaymes
>Muh autocat
>Muh photoshop
>Muh work programs
>>
>>59670388
Does it matter you stupid pinko?
They were calling it communism, they were """"planning"""" to implement communism, and it failed miserably, and the SAME EXACT FUCKING THING happens EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TIME some retard gets the cancer known as communism.
>>
>>59670388
Look man communalism doesn't work. People are selfish and eventually (rather rapidly if past evidence is anything to go by) a militaristic oppressive faction will seize power and dominate their less aggressive comrades. This is just human nature.

>>59670399
Also this.
>>
File: linux desktop.jpg (206KB, 1253x866px) Image search: [Google]
linux desktop.jpg
206KB, 1253x866px
>>59668280
And it never will.
>>
>>59670411
Communism was basically proof misanthropes were right.
>>
>>59670411
>a militaristic oppressive faction will seize power and dominate their less aggressive comrades
Also, it's worth noting that, in the modern era anyway, our government system in basically every western country is almost specifically designed to prevent this from happening.
>>
>>59670399
The definition of an economy, especially with regards to using a currency exchange system, private property and a ruling class, OR NOT, can have SEVERE IMPLICATIONS. Communism according to the manifesto, has not been implemented once on our planet, even in the slightest. The term has been hijacked by market fascists, and I would agree with you, on everything wrong in those societies.

I am not supporting communism, as its quite outdated. But capitalism is the real cancer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPeondgbfDM
>>
>>59670434
>But capitalism is the real cancer here
He said unto the internet, creation of capitalism, via his computer, also created by capitalism.

Kill yourself.
>>
>>59670411
That's a very narrow interpretation of human nature, and would seem to be quite inaccurate.

Humans are not cutthroat competitive by nature, period. Any scientifically peer reviewed journal in the last half century won't tell you anything else: Most human behaviour is learned. Hence extreme competition, as is the case in our society, is a learned behaviour, causing a distortion of human nature.

See >>59670241
>>
FYI, Stallman has said it's ironic that people call freetards communist because companies like Microsoft basically try to monopolize and control a whole industry. Free software is about freedom from any kind of control, whether it be from the government or corporations, over your computer.

Than again Stallman is a radical leftist who is a member of the Green Party, which I've been told is basically an eco-terrorist organization.
>>
>>59668691
>toxic community
You made some valid arguments,
but then you had to reveal yourself
as part of society with mental devolution.
Alas.
>>
>>59670453
Actually my computer and the internet are technical inventions. There is no right or left way to build technology, on a pure technical level.

I suggest you go back to elementary school, maybe watch some science shows or something.
>>
>>59670464
Stallman has a broken, inconsistent world view: https://actrons.info/fsf.html
>>
>>59670461
>See >>59670241
This pic is essentially unsourced.

>Humans are not cutthroat competitive by nature, period.
You are delusional.
>>
How does something that is free have a market share?

Better assessment of its growth is the amount of development relative to other operating systems.
>>
>>59670434
Capitalism isn't cancer.
It's crony capitalism and statism caused ironically enough, by socialism and big government regulation.
All of the corporations that own everything and everyone would have died a long time ago if they didn't have the government bailing them out and passing laws for them.

The real cancer is the state.
>>
>>59668280
Mac is a device
Linux is a kernel
Windows is a operating system

I wish'd computer illiterates wouldn't do infographics.
>>
>>59670486
>unsourced
Search for "The Spirit Level"
It's a highly respected publication.

Furthermore I strongly suggest you read up about the subject if human nature, before moronically attacking people, you look like a real idiot, and from all I have learned, are entirely wrong.
>>
>>59670461

But they are. By nature Humans are individualistic.
That means a group of Humans will always have varying individuals with varying personalities, attributes, ambitions, mindsets, opinions, principles, ideas, beliefs.
A competitive cutthroat individual is just one inherent product of individualism and free will, out of a myriad.

To say Humans are not cutthroat competitive by nature is to say that Humans have no free will.
That's just a narrow-sighted and small-minded statement.

Even i am competitive and cutthroat if i was forced into the situation.
If the two of us were put into a situation where one limited resource could satisfy the life of only 1 of the two of us,
i would fucking attempt to kill you without batting an eye and sleep like a baby. That's a promise i can make you.
>>
>>59670502
capitalism and businesses are what prop up modern governments, señor ancap
>>
File: 1477149825443.jpg (342KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1477149825443.jpg
342KB, 1600x1200px
>>59668280
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59670524
>It's a highly respected publication.
It's a book. And highly respected is dubious at best:
>In 2010, Tino Sanandaji and others wrote an article for the Wall Street Journal in which they said, "when we attempted to duplicate their findings with data from the U.N. and the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), we found no such correlation".[24]
>>
>>59670539
Capitalism in and of itself does not need a state.
Anyone who thinks otherwise should retake Econ 101.

Monopolies and corporations are abstract legal entities that can only exist within a state, but that is not capitalism any more than Stalin is a communist.
>>
>>59670502
There is no such thing as crony capitalism.

The incentive of the monetary market system is self-maxinization by all means necissary. Capitalism is the market system left uninhibited (no regulation), creating a free market: The freedom to restrict the freedom of others, for profit.

It is important to note, that regulatory legislation or higher levels as active state coercion, CANNOT counteract that basic incentive structure of the market. Corruption is a built in consequence of the system, as it simply falls under uninhibited self-maximization.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tu32CCA_Ig

We need an entirely new economic system, one devoid of the market entirely, and it's attached incentive structure of self-maximization and growth. Once that rewards true tech iCal efficiency. We were not able to do this in the past, but with modern technology's capacity to create and abundance, we are.
>>
>>59668280
how would you even measure a market share when the os youre using doesn't send nasty telemetry at home? also where would home be? linus torvalds home? gnome devs home? kde devs home? systemd devs home? on which informations is this graphic based on?

I call bullshit
>>
>>59668425
when will freetards start insisting on calling windows 10 gnu/windows?
>>
>>59670252
>muh late stage capitalism
>muh end game capitalism

commie fucks jerk off over this concept because it hails the doom of capitalism and replacement by communism.

it's "the rapture" for commies. and it will never, ever happen.
>>
>>59668280
>desktop market share is relevant
kek
>>
File: 1480120657411.png (224KB, 598x682px) Image search: [Google]
1480120657411.png
224KB, 598x682px
>>59668280
>xp above vista,8,8.1 and 10
Based!
>>
>>59670559
Everything has criticism. There are people who claim that Allah created the universe, criticizing evolution and many modern scientific understandings.

I would be weary of criticism currently attacking the status quo however.
>>
>>59670609
Actually, no. Capitalism has only been around for a few hundred years and will be replaced by another system of political economy. Are you are actually a "believer" in Capitalism as an emotional crutch for your failed faith in Christianity?
>>
Fragmented UI kits. (Gtk, kde, qt, different versions of each) makes the system look bad when you have to go out of your way to find a matching theme across all of them, because many programs only use one.
Xorg configuration is more than a bitch to most people. (Not people who have already bought into GNU Linux)
Installing graphics drivers and having everything work immediately rarely happens, this goes with the previous point, but deserves to be stated.
Every desktop environment is garbage out of the box and requires configuring obscure text files that are places in arbitrary directories, no unified place.
Games appeal to the consumer market, Linux falls behind a great deal with this, yes steam has a small section for mostly indie games no one wants to play with only a handful of big titles. (Inb4 >gaymes, not an argument)
It offers less usability for the average consumer for more time in setting up

>>59670595
Probably analytics from user agent. If they really wanted they could weed out the OS from how it speaks TCP, but they probably didn't do that.
The numbers are probably skewed from user agent switchers, but that's on the people using them.
>>59670610
It is when talking explicitly about market share on the desktop.
>>
>>59670630
Kill yourself commie scum.
>>
>>59669238
>Never understood this. Productivity? Doing what?
>I used windows and Linux in my degree at write papers. They both work for that simple task, whether you're using libreoffice or google docs. Working with data? Same. Producing presentations? Same. I'd actually say there are fewer distractions on Linux.

Have you ever heard of national instruments, nigger?
>>
File: 1155471433553.jpg (53KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
1155471433553.jpg
53KB, 500x479px
>>59670461
>that's why wars always break out over resources
>that's why the economy of the world was designed from the ground up to favor only those who are competitive, intelligent, and lucky
>that's why as soon as competition in any area of life is eliminated or declines, progress slows
>that's why all governments and collectives in this world had to make counter-measures for cold-blooded competitiveness going out of hand via monopoly laws and competition laws, to battle an "in-existent" force and social phenomena
>that's why governments and borders exist in the first place
>that's why we don't need traffic lights and myriads of laws and rules for conducting oneself on the fucking roads; everything should just work perfectly without any of this because people aren't competitive and know how to behave

I could keep going. You are deluded my friend.
Just a week of learning some business and economics should teach you what actual fucking Human nature is, as the real life showcases it and not some theoretical wishy-washy blabber in some philosophical book. You fucking retard.
A society without competitive nature has no need for rules regulating it then.
>>
>>59670635
>not Capitalism = Communism
>not Jezzus = Satan
See, that's the same kind of black and white thinking that is your actual problem, Anon.
>>
File: 1460204640320.jpg (37KB, 646x431px) Image search: [Google]
1460204640320.jpg
37KB, 646x431px
Isn't it ironic that the proprietary software developers call us communists? We are the ones who have provided for a free market, where they allow only monopoly. If the users chooses this proprietary software package, he then falls into this monopoly for support. The only way to escape from monopoly is to escape from proprietary software, and that is what the free software movement is all about. We want you to escape and our work is to help you escape. We hope you will escape to the free world. The free world is the new continent in cyberspace that we have built so we can live here in freedom. It's impossible to live in freedom in the old world of cyberspace, where every program has its feudal lord that bullies and mistreats the users. So, to live in freedom we have to build a new continent. Because this is a virtual continent, it has room for everyone, and there are no immigration restrictions. And because there were never indigenous peoples in cyberspace, there is also no issue of taking away their land. So everyone is welcome in the free world, come to the free world, live with us in freedom. The free software movement aims for the liberation of cyberspace and everyone in it.
>>
>>59670594
What kind of babble are you on about?
That video is hilarious though every single on of those (((sources))) are from leftist media.

Of course the people who are rich are going to attempt to subvert the government if it exists.
Take away the government, and you take away their incentive, and ability to do so.

Capitalism is the most natural system of economics that there is and no amount of intellectual masturbation will convince anyone to follow you over what has worked for literally all of mankind's history.
>>
>>59668280

There is no problem.

GNU/Linux has a large enough user base to survive.
>>
>>59670630
Capitalism has been around since the dawn of time you fucking pinko retard.

Capitalism is simply put, voluntary exchange.

That is what we have been doing throughout all our civilizations and even before that.
>>
>>59670650
You are a sociopath who doesn't actually understand other people.
>>
>>59670650
A lack of resources is a reason to become competitive. I entirely agree.

However our current economic system has remained static for multiple centuries, ignoring modern technological capacity to create an abundance.

Today we have artificially generated poverty and scarcity through the misapplication of resources to feed monetary profit.
I think we can agree that we need to evolve to a new form of economic interaction at this point.
>>
-Legacy applications
-Preinstalled OS
-Driver support

Also, Linux works and this isn't profitable.
>>
>>59670675
Capitalism is only a few hundred years old, as instigated by economic philosophers like Adam Smith and John Locke.

It is most certainly not human nature, and it's earliest forms of competition based trade, were born out of a time of resource scarcity. We have far different times now, due to modern technology.
>>
>>59668280
in a world where normies (98% of all people) don't even bother to log out of gmail before browsing web. too lazy to even click another button for lastpass to insert their passwords. this is not worth their privacy online. what tf did you expect? everyone switching to a superior os?

also autodesk,adobe,etc. can't compile their software to all linuy distros. even if they can, they won't. the less the market share -> the less programs are developed for it > the less people will start using it -> the less marketshare will it gain.
>>
>>59670683
Every system hangs up over time. That's a fact of history and biology.

As far as Human systems go:
The only solution is cycling systems like a pendulum, based on circumstance and situation.
A system restart so-to-speak.
But one has to learn to treat systems as tools, and not as belief systems for that to happen;
and requires the willpower to recognize the time to start the restart and push the button accepting the short-term chaos and sacrifice that will ensue to ensure a longer-term stability and progress.
Good luck with that though.
>>
>>59670716
GNU/Linux*
>>
>>59670675
No. Capitalism is a system of political economy that followed Mercantilism, where private property rights and resource exploitation contracts were divvied up to a small class of elites with political connections in their respective civil governments.

How can we have a civil conversation when you don't even know what things are, Anon?
>>
>>59670664
You are quite insecure it seems.

Well, since science would tell us, any further debate will just solidify your position, let me try a different approach:

Anything belief system that is static and unchangeable is inherently flawed.

I am not going to go into your insanity you spewed at me in you last post.
>>
>>59670683
>ignoring modern technological capacity to create an abundance.
We have an abundance. Massive abundance. Huge, unbelievable abundance. So big you can't even conceive how massive it is. Make no mistake, this abundance would not have been possible without capitalism.

>artificially generated scarcity through misapplication of resources
No, this is what happens under gommunism you tard. Capitalism ensures a near-optimal use of resources by severely punishing waste, 'automatically'.
>>
>>59670727
To make an example of what i'm saying:
What needs to happen is the equivalent of USA now deciding to change its Imperial system to the Metric one.
On a long-term, it would be extremely beneficial for them, far more than the sacrifices they would make changing to it.
On the short-term, it would cost like a motherfucker to change, because you are not only changing perception but also infrastructure (street signs, cataloguing, books, all computer systems and software, military systems, traffic and transportation systems, million and millions of signs and papers and names and other shit).
The required sacrifice discourages long-term benefits immensely.
>>
>>59670770
Holy shit you are insane. F*ck I'm done.
>>
>>59670731
2 paragraphs of an economic textbook or even (((wikipedia))) shows how wrong you are, pinko.
>>59670755
It's flawed because it works?
Nice logic.
(((You))) are the insane one.
You haven't even given a solution.
>>
>>59670770
>near-optimal use of resources
Yet Truck Nutz exist.

Checkmate, Capitalists.
>>
>>59670947
I bet Truck Nutz are produced very efficiently and in a quantity not grossly deviant from the demand for Truck Nutz.
>>
>>59670947
>comedy makes and produces lots of money off of people's inability to control their need for amusement
>checkmate, Capitalists

Hook, line, and sinker.
The best way to rip-off communists is to play on their need for entertainment birthed by a depression-dependent system.
>>
>>59670793
>our current economic system has remained static for multiple centuries
really?

>ignoring modern technological capacity to create an abundance
yeah living standards today are literally exactly the same as the were centuries ago in the 17th century

>Today we have artificially generated poverty and scarcity through the misapplication of resources to feed monetary profit.
You're not wrong, but pretending that any alternative will be better is childish.

Why has a communist system never succeeded before? I know what your answer would be, "that wasn't real communism". But I think the unsaid implication of this statement is "If I was in charge, it would have worked", It's the thinking of a narcissist.

Centralized systems are simply less efficient/effective. Ever heard of the local knowledge problem? It's the idea that in any economic system, the knowledge required to make economic choices is distributed among a large number of people. Farmers who understand what works well on their fields and what doesn't, due do details of the locale/climate. The street vendor is the first person to know if he should be selling sunglasses or umbrellas. Shops are the first to know when a product is has high demand. Individuals inside a corporation are the most knowledgeable about their business, and are the most capable of making decisions about what is a good business plan and what isn't. All this distributed knowledge is tailored so much to each individuals position in the economy. It's literally impossible to collate this data in any kind of centrally planned system, and these decisions are crucial to a functioning economy. If you can come up with a solution to the local knowledge problem, then go ahead with your more efficient commie central plan.
>>
>>59670991
There is also the other thing about ("not real") communism in particular, that nobody from the government has to go round to all the farmers and make sure they're planting what grows well and at the right time and fertilizing properly and all of that, for every single industry; in capitalism each business just wants to do these things, because they are incentivized automatically by the prospect of financial reward (or loss if they fuck these things up). The chemical plant wants to find a better way to make whatever it is they make, or the supermarket wants to only stock as much stuff as their customers need and in the proportions that they need them, and don't need cajoled to do so.

This simply doesn't happen in ("not real") communism, because there is no incentive to do so.
>>
>>59668280
If it came pre-installed then would have 50% marketshare easily. Normies barely even bother to upgrade Wangblows and got pissed when MS forced updates. What makes you think that they would go out of their way to install a custom OS?
>>
>>59671113
>This simply doesn't happen in ("not real") communism, because there is no incentive to do so.

Well, the argument is that a commie government would be motivated to do this, out of empathy or magic or whatever.
The issue is that even if some strong incentive does somehow exist in a commie system, it's so hard to actually know what plants each farmer should be planting, what products should be produced. An entire economy is such a huge complex thing, attempting to control each individual actor is just insane, it'll never be as adaptive as capitalism.

I'm glad that commie gave up and left the thread before lol.
>>
it's simple, the average normie doesn't want to install a new operating system, they're happy to use whatever comes on their computer which in most cases is going to be windows. if we want to see gnu/linux gain more market share then it will have to come preinstalled on computers.
>>
>>59668858
You know what they say... Old habits die hard.
>>
>>59669251
This is like the chicken and egg problem, there's not a lot of software for linux because people don't use it. And people don't use it because there is no software for it.

Also, every single person I have come across that complained about linux are people who try to use it exactly how they would use windows. What's the point of even using linux then if you want everything to work like it does on windows? Learn the difference, and embrace it.
>>
>>59670621
>December 2015
>>
File: rms.jpg (2MB, 2272x2119px) Image search: [Google]
rms.jpg
2MB, 2272x2119px
>>59671471
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
File: jon dead.jpg (115KB, 720x850px) Image search: [Google]
jon dead.jpg
115KB, 720x850px
>retards can't possibly grasp that normies see no real reason to switch to linux

Holy shit you guys, it's not that hard to understand. Normies do not want to go through the trouble of switching to linux because there's no reason for them to. You know what the average person uses their computer for? Their internet browser, a word processor/photoshop/editing software (all depending on what their interests and occupations are), a video player, and MAYBE games. They don't care about "BUT FREE AS IN FREEDOM!" or "DID YOU KNOW THAT WINDOWS 10 SENDS DATA BACK TO MICROSOFT?" they don't give a fuck about any of that.
>>
File: linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg (303KB, 806x938px) Image search: [Google]
linus_corrects_rms_8560.jpg
303KB, 806x938px
>>59671554
Not on my watch, boy.
>>
File: tumblr_o2v9gsLij51v5vwtto2_1280.jpg (104KB, 836x880px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2v9gsLij51v5vwtto2_1280.jpg
104KB, 836x880px
>>59668525
>I'm pretty sure Linux is the dominant operating system on servers
>Who even uses a non-Apple desktop computer or a laptop

>there are people this stupid in the world
>>
>>59671695
Many users do not understand the difference between the kernel, which is Linux, and the whole system, which they also call “Linux”. The ambiguous use of the name doesn't help people understand. These users often think that Linus Torvalds developed the whole operating system in 1991, with a bit of help.

What they found was no accident—it was the not-quite-complete GNU system. The available free software added up to a complete system because the GNU Project had been working since 1984 to make one. In the The GNU Manifesto we set forth the goal of developing a free Unix-like system, called GNU. The Initial Announcement of the GNU Project also outlines some of the original plans for the GNU system. By the time Linux was started, GNU was almost finished.

Most free software projects have the goal of developing a particular program for a particular job. For example, Linus Torvalds set out to write a Unix-like kernel (Linux); Donald Knuth set out to write a text formatter (TeX); Bob Scheifler set out to develop a window system (the X Window System). It's natural to measure the contribution of this kind of project by specific programs that came from the project.

If we tried to measure the GNU Project's contribution in this way, what would we conclude? One CD-ROM vendor found that in their “Linux distribution”, GNU software was the largest single contingent, around 28% of the total source code, and this included some of the essential major components without which there could be no system. Linux itself was about 3%. (The proportions in 2008 are similar: in the “main” repository of gNewSense, Linux is 1.5% and GNU packages are 15%.) So if you were going to pick a name for the system based on who wrote the programs in the system, the most appropriate single choice would be “GNU”.
>>
>>59671554
>>59671695
>>59671820
jesus fuck what a bunch of insufferable turds
>>
File: 1415673498821.jpg (258KB, 1114x876px) Image search: [Google]
1415673498821.jpg
258KB, 1114x876px
ITT people full of bullshit.
Use whatever you want retard and ignore microshills.
>>
>>59671113
Capitalism fails because of unaccounted externalizations, which are also the source of the greatest profits. It also destroys the actual biosphere that we actually need to survive for the gross quarterly profit of the minority to be a few points higher.

Fuck you, basically.
>>
>>59668776
Wrong
>>
File: t3_5v44ce.jpg (62KB, 960x543px) Image search: [Google]
t3_5v44ce.jpg
62KB, 960x543px
>>59668280
- Microsoft has deals with hardware companies, so most laptop and desktop computers comes bundled with their products.
- Most people uses whatever comes bundled with the hardware and i can bet a lot of them doesn't even know what is an operative system and that you can choose it. If the brand "Windows" were related to quality then WP would be the most used mobile operative system because the demand would be high.
- Microsoft has deals with schools, so people is trained from a young age to use microsoft products. For a lot of them it's a question of being a comfort zone, not even about the difficulty. I can say this because in my own experience most windows users never solve their own problems, they ask other people to solve their problems.
- Microsoft has a huge lock-in with their formats and APIs. Independently on if we can consider they products are good or bad, the fact is that they use anti-competitive measures to lock their users and developers. For example their document formats doesn't honors the "ISO standard" they supposedly issued. If they care about interoperability with competing solutions they would use the well documented version of their format. But no, they uses their dominant position to push a version of the format only they know exactly how it works (interestingly and despite this, i have gotten problems even with different versions of MSO). Most of the documents in this format are created with MSO and most people doesn't even knows about the strict version of the format, this makes their format a moving target for competitors at best. Their development tools is another good example if a lock-in, they only care about compatibility on markets where they're losing like server or mobile.
>>
Because it's shit.

t. Glorious XP Master Race
>>
>>59668507
I fully believe you have down syndrome. Ha, you're a retard.
>>
File: 1464991144256-0.jpg (220KB, 448x455px) Image search: [Google]
1464991144256-0.jpg
220KB, 448x455px
>>59672001
>sane reasoning on /g/, which is full of b8 and shitposts
>>
>>59671959
It fails does it?
It fails? Point me a country which has failed because capitalism please.

Also, large numbers of people tend to fuck up whatever environment they're in irrespective of how they are managed. But we have regulations for this sort of thing to at least try to minimize it.

>>59671198
>Well, the argument is that a commie government would be motivated to do this, out of empathy or magic or whatever.
Well maybe, but the people who comprise the government need incentive too.

Fundamentally there's no reason why the government couldn't implement a tiered system of managers and whatnot for each segment of the economy, even breaking it down into semi-autonomous companies or whathave you essentially replicating a market system but nationalised, solving the locality problem, but the problem ultimately remains incentivizing these people and then (holy shit lol) dealing with corruption.
>>
File: wallhaven-193734.jpg (727KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
wallhaven-193734.jpg
727KB, 1920x1200px
>>59668280
Equal OS opportunity doesn't mean equal OS outcome.
>>
>>59668330
I don't dual boot, use wine, or a vm
Thread posts: 213
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.