[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I recently got into the position of having to reconfigure a network

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: NIC-71040-v.jpg (20KB, 333x352px) Image search: [Google]
NIC-71040-v.jpg
20KB, 333x352px
I recently got into the position of having to reconfigure a network and stumbled upon the fact that apparently NICs support their bandwidth on each Port. Can someone school me on this fact? NIC in question could for example be an Intel i350-t4 which ive seen advertised as 4x1000base. So can i really achieve four 1gbit connections for different networking applications with such an NIC and it is not capped to 1gbit for every port combined?
And is this the usual or a higher price feature? I am not exactly expecting this behaviour from cheap cards
I just recently got into the networking field and am having a hard time to find material to read up on NICs
>>
Why would this not be the expected behavior? Are you autistic?
>>
Because i was convinced that the number of ports is first and foremost for reasons of multiple connections and fail safety and the NIC itself, not each individual port will be able to supply the 1000/10000 bandwidth
For example similar to how GPUs have different video output ports being supplied by the same central unit
>>
>>59652850
>For example similar to how GPUs have different video output ports being supplied by the same central unit

Multiple ports on those NICs are also supplied by the same chip.

But just like you can have fully independent outputs on your GPU showing different pictures, you can have fully independent Ethernet ports here.

You can be limited by PCIe bandwidth though, as PCIe 3.0 x4 is barely enough for 2x10G connections.
>>
>>59653107
>2x10G
>4x1G

Anyway, these cards are fine. The only drawback they have is that they're on the same IOMMU group, so if you want to virtualize your servers, you will have to pass through the entire card.
>>
Wait, I'm lost. I've never run across the behavior described by the OP. How or when did this odd way of thinking come about? I don't recall seeing this problem even in the 90's.
>>
>>59653133
Bus bandwidth like >>59653107 states. I remember doing pairing or bonding with ISA and PCI cards even in the 90's since it was cheaper than these multiple port cards. Virtualization has also been a thing for ages.
>>
File: 1458845765970.png (706KB, 552x783px) Image search: [Google]
1458845765970.png
706KB, 552x783px
>>59652745
>spec states 4x1000base
>4 ports
>obviously 1G per port
How did you even get into networking?

>mfw im still a L2 support
>>
>>59653176
Regular PCI is indeed not enough for more than one GbE interface. But that's why old servers had PCI-X.
>>
Speaking of multi-port cards, can I use one of these with Win7 (not Server) or does it have some stupid limitations?
>>
>>59653318
True but it also wasn't that long ago I was running rg6 before 10base T for networks.
>>
>>59652745
Each port supports its own bandwidth but the switch/router backplane may not support the full bandwith of all switch modules installed. That's really all you need to know.
>>
>>59652745
>>59652850
Those chips right next to the port can each handle 1Gbit.
If it was only 1 chip you would be right though.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.