[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/g/ please redpill me on """serverless"""

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: lambda.png (67KB, 600x300px) Image search: [Google]
lambda.png
67KB, 600x300px
/g/ please redpill me on """serverless""" architecture. Is this a meme or does it have real benefits?

Also is AWS Lambda the best one or are GCF/Azure/Bluemix better?
>>
File: 1490742647439.jpg (31KB, 480x448px) Image search: [Google]
1490742647439.jpg
31KB, 480x448px
>>59645334
The benefit is not having to worry about the underlying OS or any maintenance that goes along with it like patching, deployments etc.

Whether it is worth it depends on your workload and the design of your service, as does the choice of provider. Know your requirements and see which fits best for pricing and your needs.
>>
>>59645334
No. It's retarded.

It's like the old days where you would write some shit-tier pajeet php code and upload to shitty shared hosting with FTP.

Same deal here, apart from now you write untested fucking javascript and are billed per request.

The old Apache/CGI model is shit and we create proper servers now. Don't go back to the dark ages and learn how to implement a goddamn app server.

We've come full fucking circle if this gains any significant market share.
>>
where do you store data?
>>
>>59645738
S3, DDB, RDS, the serverless architecture just offloads the work of processing data.
>>
It's simple.

Concurrent processes and daemons go on servers. Stateless API methods, event jobs, or any small tool that you'd pay per million requests for go on serverless platforms.
>>
I would like to know, too

Is it cheaper to do this? When does it get more expensive?
>>
>>59645692
>he thinks you can only run javascript on serverless
>>
>>59645851
>Stateless API methods, event jobs, or any small tool that you'd pay per million requests for go on serverless platforms.

sure, if you enjoy vendor lock-in and shit performance from having to start up a runtime for every request.

>>59645894
I'll admit they have more langs now. But nodejs was the most supported initially. Using nodejs for anything significant = bad news.

And what if I want to write my app server in vimscript? Just spin up an EC2 box and install any runtime you like.

Want to monitor how your endpoints perform? Maybe track 99% percentile requests? Differences since your last deployment? Any kind of metrics not supported out the box on lambda? Good luck with that.

Goddamn technotards making everything more fucking complicated than it needs to be. Just because it exists, doesn't mean you need it. To be truly redpilled on technology is to implement what you need in the simplest and most robust way. Stop chasing shiny things and start making something useful.
>>
>>59645334
its a scam
>>
>>59645851
Sure, I get the concurrency part. Sometimes you just need 16 processes running simultaneously for a couple of seconds and it doesn't make sense to pay rent on a 16-thread dedi just for those occasional two seconds.

But what the fuck is this new trend towards _completely_ serverless? Like putting data up on proprietary cloud databases (billed per hour per GB) and using memetech like SQS and API gateways instead of actually... you know... writing code.

Looks like the future of backend webdev is just creating huge chains of API requests between a dozen proprietary cloud products.
>>
>>59647558
>Looks like the future

It's the present.

Not that I give a shit. I'm so sick of the software/web development field that I'm going to become a farmer.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.