[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are laptop fingerprint readers still so shitty? Fingerprint

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 5

Why are laptop fingerprint readers still so shitty?

Fingerprint scanners on smartphones have come on leaps and bounds over the last five years. Even my cheap-ass Xiaomi that cost me $120 has a superb fingerprint reader that is pretty much instant when you touch it, and has a very low error rate.

Yet on every business laptop the fingerprint reader is this same 90s piece of crap that you have to physiclaly swipe your finger over about twenty times before it eventually recognises you.

Why is this allowed?
>>
test
>>
Fingerprints as authentication is absolutely retarded in the first place. It's basically a password that can't be changed, revoked, hashed, is shared between every account that uses it, and you inadvertently write down whenever you touch a flat surface.

If the readers are shitty means that less people use it then it's a win-win as far as I'm concerned.
>>
File: macbook-pro-touchbar-w-g10.jpg (141KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
macbook-pro-touchbar-w-g10.jpg
141KB, 775x500px
My MacBook Pro does not have the problem you speak of.
>>
>>59643063
Literally all law enforcement (or a robber) needs to unlock your phone is your finger. They don't even need your hand attached to it.
>>
>>59642896
>can't authenticate to RDP connection with fp
>setup requires another fucking password (pin)
Thanks Microsoft
>>
>>59643148
Jokes on them. The constitution protects me from police who want to use my biologic data without a subpoena .
>>
>>59643063
You can know the password but you can't use it. A photo or a scan of the fingerprint will be useless as it won't unlock any modern fingerprint reader.
>>
>>59643255
3D printers exist now
>>
Try naming a single thing that's not shitty with laptops. Modern phones have higher DPI, bigger batteries, faster CPUs and so on.
>>
>>59642896
those are just cheaper ones
the ones one more expensive thinkpads are non-slide, and work much quicker
>>
>>59644035
bigger screens, and an actually usable keyboard
>faster CPUs
>bigger batteries
LOL
>>
>>59644035
But it would literally cost them pennies to put a decent fingerprint scanner in. I can understand cheaping out on the processor or the screen, but when a $60 chinkphone can have a high quality fast error-free fingerprint scanner, there's no way they can claim the cost is too high to put one in my $500 laptop
>>
>>59644590
laptop profits are nonexistent for anyone else but apple so of course they're going to cut corners where they can
see: all the laptops still using some sub 1080 display
>>
>>59642896
Business laptops are overpriced shit, a meme. That's why IBM just switched to MacBooks, fucking IBM, the most top down corporation you can think of, where a decision takes 3 years to reach the execs at the top.
Also, the new Macs don't have this problem you're mentioning, the fingerprint scanner just works
>>
>>59644590
>But it would literally cost them pennies
yeah nah
just because there are phone parts for it that cost very little doesn't mean that you can just slap that into an x86 design and just go.
not to mention phones that cheap are heavily subsidized by the chinese botnet.
>>
File: IMG_20170329_182951.jpg (3MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170329_182951.jpg
3MB, 3120x4160px
>>59642896
Because you're too poor to afford the new iterations?
>>
>>59642916
>test
Kill yourself
>>
>>59643255
Mythbusters tested stealing finger prints for scanners. The basic bitch crap ones fucking worked with a Xerox black and white pice of paper.

What they did for the high end ones was pretty clever, they made 3-d latex molds that fit on your finger, I think they had to lick it for electrical conductivity.

That was a few years ago so who knows if things are better, but then again, 3-d printing and high res etching has gotten better to.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3Hji3kp_i9k
>>
>>59646290
well there ARE a lot of different fingerprint scanners these days, although I don't know how many of them are actually from different research.
>>
>>59643093
Your gaybook pro has plently of other fucking issues
>>
>>59643167
Anon I've got some bad news...
>>
>>59643093
>donglebook
My condolences
>>
>>59643093
>only good thing about the fucking macbook is the botnet tier fingerprint reader

HAHAHAHAHA FUCK, YOU CAN'T MAKE THIS SHIT UP
>>
>>59643063
This is all true, but a password is still much easier to deal with

The kind of people that can actually bother to get your fingerprint and reproduce it have other ways into your phone
>>
>>59643167
Hey retard, ya know how part of the booking process is to take your finger prints.....
>>
>>59650305
The fingerprint scanner is local, you down syndrome retard.
>>
>>59645788
>Buying anything newer than a t430
I wouldn't be proud of that
>>
File: BlackBerry-Passport-SE-Stack.jpg (362KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
BlackBerry-Passport-SE-Stack.jpg
362KB, 1200x800px
>>59644112
>>
>>59642896
They're not shitty. When they don't register your fingerprint correctly the software is actually lying to you. It registers perfectly almost every time you try but the software wants you to input your fingerprint multiple times because government agencies are building a database with all our fingerprints and multiple images of the same fingerprint increase the accuracy for future surveillance.
>>
File: T460.jpg (74KB, 775x500px) Image search: [Google]
T460.jpg
74KB, 775x500px
>>59642896
>Yet on every business laptop the fingerprint reader is this same 90s piece of crap that you have to physiclaly swipe your finger over about twenty times before it eventually recognises you.

Oh really?
>>
>>59651829
Oh god, this "new Thinkpads are shit" meme has to die. The 60 and 70 series are better than anything IBM has ever produced and you know it poorfag.
>>
>>59642896
>willingly using the fingerprint jew
>>
>>59652471
I suspected this.
>>
>>59652195
Shit WTF this is awesome.
>>
>>59651570
> believing this in current year
>>
>>59642896
I agree, but on a laptop you have a keyboard so entering a proper password is easy.
On a phone it's not, so there's more need for a good fp scanner.
>>
Fingerprint scanners are such poor security even fucking children have realized how easy it is to get through it.

That's what you have to realize from that story about the 4-year-old who used his unconscious mothers finger to unlock her iPhone and use Siri to call an ambulance.
There are cases of children using napping parents fingers to make payments in the AppStore too, virtual items for games and shit.

Fingerprint scanner is really convenient but is the shittiest security feature.
>>
>>59643063
>>59652802
Stop being so fucking autistic. Security isn't black and white, convenience is important. If people find pins/passwords inconvenient they won't use them at all, which is worse than using fingerprints.

Fuck you for making me post what should be common sense already, you fat ass autist.
>>
>>59652841
>Security isn't black and white, convenience is important. If people find pins/passwords inconvenient they won't use them at all, which is worse than using fingerprints.
You know what is convenient? Pattern unlock.
You know how long it takes? Fucking no time at all.
There are other, better options available but fingerprint is a stupid meme technology that isn't going to die no matter how bad it is because people are retards.

And if pin/password were the only options then people would use them. People still use pin/password, just not in huge numbers because people are sucked into the shitter security methods.
>4 number pin takes two seconds at most to type in
>so inconvenient
>>
>not having a smartcard reader in his laptop
Really niggas?
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.