[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone set up their own VPN on their own server? Would you encounter

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

File: 1488709205824.jpg (25KB, 564x422px) Image search: [Google]
1488709205824.jpg
25KB, 564x422px
Anyone set up their own VPN on their own server?

Would you encounter any issues doing this on DigitalOcean or a similar provider?
>>
> Would you encounter any issues doing this on DigitalOcean or a similar provider?

Aside from the fact they will happily give over your information if compelled to, no issues.
>>
buyvm.net
>>
>>59642681
why would you do this other than bragging rights?
All your browsing data is stored on a server that is linked to you.
It's better to just pay for a vpn.
>>
>>59643403
>why would you do this other than bragging rights?

Way cheaper. I can get a vps for $15 / yr at ramnode.
>>
>>59643458
doing it like this is only useful if you're trying to get around some kind of country ban.

It does not prevent your information from being obtained.
>>
>>59642681
this offers no security, it only makes it slightly more difficult for the advertisers or your isp to track you

the state can just ask your vps provider for your real IP address and all of your history is immediately tied to your IP

It's much better to use a shared IP pool VPN for day to day browsing and tor if you need an additional level of security
>>
works fine on digitalocean, can confirm -> used the FreeBSD image as a proxy for months a few years ago
>>
if someone made a chocolate sculpture of her face i gaurentee the first part anyone would bite off owuld be the nose. that fucker is just sticking out there beging to be broken
>>
>>59643458
how's it compare to buyvm's $15 /year one?

I run an ssh tunnel, vpn, proxy there
>>
>>59643476
How does it not prevent info?

>buy vm with bitcoinz or prepaid card
>encrypted vpn tunnel
>nobody sees your shit except the vmfags who don't care
>>
>>59642681
This is what happens to your nose if you buy intel/nvidia
>>
>>59643591
govt: oh look at all this activity stemming from this ip address belonging to this vps ip block
>subpoenas vps
>vps gives over account details and/or ip logs tying your real IP to the VPS
>>
>>59643646
nope
>>
>>59643699
>nope

go on
>>
>>59643709
he can't go on, because you're right.

He just made a stupid decision and doesn't want to believe it.
>>
>>59643572

RamNode vs BuyVM

Storage
12 GB (SSD) vs 15 GB (HDD)
Bandwith
1 TB vs 500 GB

The rest (RAM, cpu, number of IPs, and price) is the same.

RamNode looks like a clear winner.
>>
>>59643709
>>59643765
yea but does ramnode give in to giving government your data?
cuz buyvm says no usually
>>
>>59643646
>provider has one method of tracking, a bitcoin address
>provider under their hosting country has no laws pertaining to turning over information to a non sovereign nation.
>>
>>59643765
>>59643572

this is so dumb

this is literally what it looks like when kids think they can beat the system

>>59643793
>yea but does ramnode give in to giving government your data?
>cuz buyvm says no usually

fucking kek. Pro-tip: EVERYONE gives into the government, or else their business would not exist and their owners would be in jail

>>59643822
>one method of tracking
How the fuck do you expect to connect to your vps without them knowing your IP?

I'll spell it out for you morons. At the end of the day a self-hosted VPN offers no additional layer of security over a third-party VPN, in fact it can be considered less secure because you don't get the element of plausible deniability when using a shared IP pool
>>
>>59643857
buying a normal VPN is worse than running your own fucking VPS, faggot
>>
File: Crypto nerd comic.jpg (35KB, 477x299px) Image search: [Google]
Crypto nerd comic.jpg
35KB, 477x299px
>>59642681
I run openVPN on digitalOcean but planning to move to a swiss server when I find a decent one that is not overly expensive, you need to research tunneling and stealth tools to make the traffic look like normal ssl traffic so you don't get v&. You also need to secure your local pc, basic stuff should be on the wiki, look up some stun request blocker too.
>>
>>59643857
Nope, I've had government yell at me before cuz I tunneled hundreds of people through my home server & still do, idc
>>
>>59643885
no it's not. at the very best it's exactly the same and at its very worst it is a lot worse

Explain to me why running an OpenVPN VPS is more secure than a third-party VPN and I'll show you why it's not

>>59643914
thingsthatneverhappened
>>
>>59643931
wew mad goy here

same reason why literally anything small scale is safer than large scale
>>
>>59643957
>same reason why literally anything small scale is safer than large scale

>one tor exit node is safer than 1000 tor exit nodes

your logic is fucking retarded
>>
>>59643969
That's the example of small scale?

Thousands of nodes are safer, because there's smaller amount of traffic leaving it you stupid fuck

jesus christ.. which is why... making your own VPN... securely... on your own VPS... which is not watched 24 fucking 7... is more secure

get it yet? retard?

There's no case where a VPN company is more secure than you doing it yourself unless you set it up wrong.
>>
>>59644027
You have to be trolling but I'll bite

Using a vps to host your own vpn forces you to make the EXACT same assumptions about the security of the vps provider as you do for a third-party vpn

using a large shared IP pool provides all of the users of a third-party vpn with an element of plausible deniability that can (and HAS) been used in court

If you are running your own vpn server it will be great for getting you around firewalls and such, but it DOES NOT offer any additional security over a third-party VPN, in fact if the company is subpoena'd then you have no element of plausible deniability since every action that emanated from the vps IP can be tied directly back to the IP address that you used to access the vps, not only that, if it's a shitty vps they will be able to timestamp the incoming and outgoing IP addresses and tie you DIRECTLY to whatever act they are investigating you for
>>
>>59642681
That schnoz
>>
>>59644086
>comparing different shit and changing the subject

wew lad
using an IP pool is of course smart, that's not what we're talking about.. and that's outside of the VPN. dummy
>>
I swear I ain't paid to shill but I've had nothing but excellent experiences with DigitalOcean.
>>
>>59642681

Who would you rather trust:

A specialized VPN provider that specifically deals in security and that receives god knows how many government requests and has experience to implement security protocols and the requisite lawyer team to fight said inquiries. This company makes its living off of keeping its users protected from the government. Any fuckup and their business is ruined.

A generalized VPS hoster that is in the business of hosting all types of content, from websites to game servers, to seed boxes, to data storage, to databases for all sorts of users. This company makes its living on minimizing downtime.

I put my money on the company that is tailored for the specific purpose of keeping my identity safe from govt.
>>
>>59644176
>and that's outside of the VPN.

well now it's pretty clear you aren't a troll, you just have no fucking idea what you are talking about
>>
>>59644226
First is probably a honeypot.
Second I can choose a decent company in a decent country (of which there are so few) and rely on my skill to secure it.
>>59644224
DO uptime is amazing but wouldn't trust them for a second to not comply with gov.
>>
File: GigglingGirls.png (490KB, 449x401px) Image search: [Google]
GigglingGirls.png
490KB, 449x401px
>trusting your vps host more than your vpn host
>>
>>59644314
>Second I can choose a decent company in a decent country (of which there are so few) and rely on my skill to secure it.

And you can do this for your VPN provider too.

You are making assumptions that can go both ways, but you are only attributing the good to the vps and the bad to the vpn.
>>
>>59644315
>trusting anyone
>>
>>59644352
this
>>
>>59644314
Don't do illegal stuff, loser.
>>
>>59644236
please stop using the computer
>>
>>59644344
I can't rely on my skill to secure it on a VPN provider, and most people I've worked with are incompetent morons.
For the first assumption I concede it can go both ways, but if I were to work for the gov setting honeypots I'd set VPN's promising safety from the gov, not vps's, since the former are way more likely to attract the kind of people I want to spy on.
>>
>>59644419
I can't believe I share the same planet with you

>Shared IP – This is the popular and anonymous option for most service users. With shared IP VPN’s, you are assigned multiple static, shared IP’s that are being used by hundreds (or thousands) of clients simultaneously. Because the same IP is being shared by such a large pool of users, it in turn offers more anonymity for the end user.

>In conclusion, while shared IP’s offer the greatest amount of VPN anonymity when web browsing,
>>
>>59644398
Everything is illegal here.
>>
>>59644474
>with shared IP VPN
>a very specific type of VPN

why are you so fucking stupid? 90% of people do not fucking buy a shared IP VPN. The end.. What do you not understand? Why are you so stupid?

your IP -> your VPS that you run your own VPN on -> airVPN or anything of the sort

it's pretty easy, why are you so dumb?
>>
>>59644571
>why are you so fucking stupid? 90% of people do not fucking buy a shared IP VPN.

are you kidding me. THAT'S HOW MOST THIRD-PARTY VPNs OPERATE.

>your IP -> your VPS that you run your own VPN on -> airVPN or anything of the sort

So now we've switched back to using a third-party VPN?
>>
>>59644624
Ok, you have your inferior way and I have my way.. just stop complaining to me please

nobody cares that you're too stupid to configure your own VPN on a VPS you purchased
>>
>>59643902
>Tunneling and stealth tools
Tell me more.
>>
>>59644571
Shared IPs are the standard for every VPN provider I've ever seen. Most don't offer dedicated IPs, and the ones that do charge a premium. Look it up.
>>
>>59644571
dang someone is getting pretty riled up
>>
so are vpn ips shared or not
>>
>>59644086

the ip address used to access the vpn will be likely be tor protected and what if you route all your traffic through tor on both ends of the vps? what if you use tor as the interconnect between custom vps servers on different hosting providers in different legal jurisdictions?

you - tor - vps1 - tor - vps2 - tor - target

as long as you use bitcoin and anonymous account information then there will be minimal tracking capabilities. tor over ssl should be fine, but you might want to tunnel ipsec/ssh over tor.
>>
>>59649487
>Maximum throughput: 56Kbps
>>
>>59649699

actually you can specify entrance/exit nodes and guard nodes which have 1mbps+ upload so the encryption overhead won't matter that much. the layers will also make traffic analysis more difficult. tor nodes may be monitored or controlled, but otherwise your network will be fairly secure.
>>
>>59643716
Samefagging this hard
>>
>>59642681
who is this semein demon?
>>
File: 1490818192338_edit.jpg (29KB, 564x422px) Image search: [Google]
1490818192338_edit.jpg
29KB, 564x422px
>>59644174
>>
>>59643630

>This is what happens to your nose if you ARE intel/nvidia

Corrected
>>
>>59643522
You're absolutely retarded. it's about the data, not the ip address. your ISP already knows what your fucking ip address is you goddamn idiot, they bought it.
>>
>>59643522
>sharing an ip address with 1000s of degenerates that will get you blacklisted on many services
yeah ok smart plan there buddy.
>>
>>59642681
I can vouch that your server's node and container is accessed on daily basis by Jr. Sys Admins to fuck around with.

Never buy VPS unless you don't give a fuck about your data.

DEDs are a bit better but still there's IPMI.
>>
File: IMG_2920.jpg (368KB, 3000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2920.jpg
368KB, 3000x3000px
>>59644027

You should shut the fuck up if you don't know what you are talking about.
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.