[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Windows: open like two installers, run them, never have a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 20

File: 1490585361476.jpg (13KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1490585361476.jpg
13KB, 184x184px
>Windows: open like two installers, run them, never have a problem again
>Linux: hardware manufacturer doesn't even make drivers for it, need to spend 5 plus hours scouring forums and stackexchange to even get a temporary fix that will revert when you power off
Why does anyone use this fucking garbage? They need to make it more accessible for people who actually value their time and don't have insane levels of autism.
>>
>Linux: plug the hardware in, it just works automatically every single time
>>
File: hory shitu.jpg (44KB, 350x450px) Image search: [Google]
hory shitu.jpg
44KB, 350x450px
>Autism==Knowing shit about computer

>>59640271
THIS!
>>
Linux is a timesink OS for NEETs who need to prove they have some kind of worth in the world. They spend their days solving software puzzles to complete the same task that everyone else does without thinking.
>>
File: tmp_5780-1485868763280151778245.png (35KB, 600x500px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5780-1485868763280151778245.png
35KB, 600x500px
>>
>>59640271
gpus in particular disagree with your statement
>>
>>59640328
>implying when you're clicking some shit doesn't involve your brain
>>
>>59640271
Nope. I had to find a particular driver for my wifi because debian is a shit
>>
>exaggerations

I know we like to crap on Linux here, but it's not that bad

Try Mint if you're such a fagget
>>
>>59640256
>>59640901

>Using debian
>Expects latest drivers

That's your problem n00b!
>>
>>59640800
It's not like you plug in a different gpu every time you boot.
>>
>>59640901
It's horrible to shitpost on touchscreen.
>>
>>59640256
I actually have more problems with drivers in windows.
Windows:
>plug in a device
>download a driver from the device manufacturer's site
>try to install it
>windows already installed another driver which doesn't work (or is just outdated) so I can't install the correct one
>uninstall it
>windows wants me to restart the PC
>restart it
>it instantly installs the same driver I just removed
>remove it again
>disconnect network cable so it doesn't install that shit again
>reboot
>finally can install the correct driver
Linux:
>search what driver I need
>sudo apt install <driver>
>works
Or Linux in the worst case:
>search what driver I need
>copy-paste a dozen of commands into my terminal
>works
>>
>>59640800
Pretty much only Nvidia these days, and installing GPU drivers won't kill you either since yes, they are avaiable.
>>
>>59641409
This is what I experience as well. Gnu/Linux drivers are seriously painless, except for the drivers for the latest GPU. I still can not get adequate output from my RX480 on gnu/linux.
>>
>>59640271
>>59640800
this.
Xorg shit itself when I popped a new gpu in.
Was easy enough to fix but for somebody who could be trying out a linux distro for the first time they'd just conclude that the OS is a broken piece of shit and go back to windows or osx.
>>
Linux is only free if your time has no value.
>>
>>59640800
Typically GPU drivers are installed at install, are you hot swapping gpus or something. Also the open source gpu drivers should just work out of the box for everything but gaming.
>>
>>59640901
Debian has an iso image with firmware included, although I would recommend using a different distro as debians packages are super out of date even on the bleeding edge unstable repos.
>>
>see these shitty threads all the time
>have used linux on and off for years
>never had a single driver issue
>actually had way more issues with windows
>>
>>59640271
It's all or nothing
>Linux
>Either everything works immediately
>Or you have to sudo edit hundreds of config files and your drivers will never work and everything breaks randomly

>Windows
>All or almost all drivers work immediately
>The ones that don't need to be downloaded from the website, after which it will work forever
>>
>>59642115
Go back to chinkpad general.
>>
>>59641968
>>59641968
>>59641968
>>59641968
This. It's good for programming but even the most successful programmers use a distro with good support or windows/mac
>>
>>59642140
>>All or almost all drivers work immediately
Thanks to the shitty driver policy of W10 it's not true anymore.
On W7 and 8 they gone too far with their "planned" obsolescence, but feel free to defend this user abomination.
>>
File: 1489515001603.png (75KB, 410x482px) Image search: [Google]
1489515001603.png
75KB, 410x482px
>>59640256
Cute picture but your dumb
>>
Try installing old drivers in Windows 10.
Pro tip, you can't.
>>
>>59641848
>xorg
That's why Wayland exists
>>
>>59641968
>>59642203
Nice meme
>>
here's my story upgrading my machine to a Ryzen CPU

Windows
>OS actually booted at first which is impressive
>but no optical drive and USB and LAN didn't work
>no means to get anything on the machine at all
>had to boot into Linux and down literally two fucking gigabytes of drivers, I'm not even kidding
>stuck them onto my ntfs drive
>rebooted into windows
>did everything using the keyboard until USB worked, massive pain in the ass
>every installer took 10 minutes or so to complete
>had to reboot half a dozen times
>had to re-install a bunch of them because they weren't running as admin
>total time: 2 hours

Linux
>initially didn't boot
>booted from USB installer
>chrooted into my system
>updated to kernel 4.10
>took 5 fucking minutes
>required 1 reboot
>everything worked perfectly
>that's literally all

if you have any clue what you're doing then you'll known Linux is basically 20 years ahead of Windows in the maintenance department. they're in two completely different universes basically.

but since you're a baby-duck-syndrome-addled consumer twat and all you've ever known is Windows, anything that puts you out of your comfort zone will cause you to REEEEEEEEEEEEEEE in frustration.
>>
>>59642228
When I say windows I mean 7 of course. I really hope no one here actually uses windows 10 unironically
>>
>>59641848
>being the hypothetic dumb user you're thinking about
>being on windows
>plugs two new gpu to play minecraft
>boots botnet os 10
>640x480 resolution
>wtf?!
>>
>>59642291
What you just said:

>Windows
>Need to download and install drivers

>Linux
>Need to use the command line to root and recompile the kernel
>>
>>59642291
Did you move from an Intel system? I didn't even have to install any drivers when I installed linux on my i5 and moved the HDD to an ancient Intel Chipset and it ran just fine.
>>
>>59641095
this

install obongo you idiot

now delet this stupiud thread
>>
File: Open_Source_Linux_Sucksfs8.png (107KB, 1302x2155px) Image search: [Google]
Open_Source_Linux_Sucksfs8.png
107KB, 1302x2155px
>>59642286
>no rebuttal
>>
>>59642356
>updated to kernel 4.10
>recompile kernel
If you're blind it's not our fault.
# pacman -Sy linux

Done.
>>
>>59642356
indeed, and the latter is objectively better.

in both cases the average user would have been completely fucked. there was no recourse for the Windows machine other than to buy a dvd drive or install Windows 10, if I didn't also happen to have a Linux OS on it with ntfs-3g installed. rescuing an Arch install is no easy feat either (at least by normie standards) but the fact that I was able to do the fucking thing in 5 minutes stat with zero consequences speaks volume about the relative quality of both systems.

if I'd updated Arch before changing the hardware there would have been absolutely no process required either. and that's not a terribly difficult thing to do especially if you're running something like Ubuntu.

lastly, you're proving my point. you're not born with the innate knowledge of how drivers work on Windows. you just learned that shit by using the fucking thing all your life. most retards go to Geek Squad for their next-button-clicking and rebooting needs.
>>
Since this is the thread where we post personal experiences.
>Install Ubuntu on my desktop
>No wireless drivers at all
>have to spend half an hour getting the video drivers working
>my printer isn't even supported

>install Windows
>everything just works, windows update found all my driver's and installed them automatically

Why do Linux users act like I'm a low IQ subhuman because I want wifi to work? I can't even use all my hardware without proprietary drivers and add ons in Linux, which defeats the purpose of a "free" OS.
>>
>>59642369
I was moving from Piledriver. I doubt that would have made a difference though.
>>
>>59642457
you're not dumb. you just happen to have a shitty proprietary wifi nic that the manufacturer didn't bother to write Linux drivers for. the fault is squarely on their shoulder. not you nor the platform.

expect some benevolent nerd to write those drivers for you and get them merged into the Kernel within a few months if it hasn't happened already.
>>
>>59642457
>using Ubuntu
>complaining about "freedom"
Install Trisquel if you care about your freedom.
>>
>>59641845
My RX 480 works flawlessly. AMD drivers improved a lot since they released the AMDGPU driver. The 2 things you need is the Linux kernel and mesa which ship out of the box with almost all distro's. The only reason it might not perform as great as you'd like is if you run a less recent kernel and mesa version.

It's a good time to use AMD on Linux.
>>
>>59640256
why are you using unsupported hardware?

>Bought a mac installer disk on ebay
>cant even fucking install it on my custom build unless i hackintosh it
>this is garbage

>bought lamborghini doors for my pickup truck
>ford doesnt make hinges for the doors to mount
>need to buy a welding machine just to install the hinges
>lamborghini is garbage

thats you OP.
>>
>>59641409
>not turning this windows feature off in windows update settings
>being this much of a skiddie
>>
Just start buying compatible hardware. You can even buy machines w/ GNU/Linux preinstalled on them.

It is frustrating the first time you try out the OS, since yeah, you may very well have something that won't work. But uh, if you want to use linux, buy hardware with good support for it.
>>
>>59642672
>preinstalled
Absolutely disgusting
>>
>>59642152
>laptops
>implumbing
>>
>>59642404
yay!
>another meme
>>
>>59642688
>implying this isn't preferable to buying computers with windows licenses

I mean, I only use laptops. I guess you mean desktops.
>>
>>59641845
nah GNU makes it painful

plain Linux distrubtions that do not tryhard to be muh 10 year old packages for freedomâ„¢ are pretty painless though
>>
>>59640328
Kill yourself you windows shill piece of shit, Linux users have the highest intelligence of all operating systems. Enjoy your below 100 iq windows nigger.
>>
>>59642291
you forgot

>reactivate windows using a new software license that costs $99+
>>
>>59640256
my experiences are similar OP
>windows
>install drivers
>done

>lunux
>click the application launcher in KDE
>open the terminal application
>start typing letters using my keyboard
>type the word "sudo" followed by a single space
>then type the word "pacman"
>then the "-R switch"
>then type "nvidia"
>and then "nvidia-utils"
>press enter
>wait a bit
>press Y
>wait a bit again
>shut down computer
>unplug the computer from the power bar
>unplug the peripherals
>unplug the network
>remove the thumb screws on my computer case
>remove the left panel
>unplug the 6 pin connector from the old GPU
>press down on the PCI-e socket clip thing
>fiddle with this piece of shit for 5 minutes because it's stuck
>finally get the old GPU out
>put it on a flat surface
>grab the new GPU
>put it into the PCI-e socket
>plug the 6 pin connector into the new GPU
>slide the panel back into place
>put the thumb screws back into place
>plug the power cable into the PSU
>plug in the network cable
>plug in the peripherals
>boot my machine
>go make myself some chicken tendies
>go back to computer while chicken tendies are cooking
>type my username
>type my password
>click the KDE application launcher
>open the terminal application
>type the word "sudo"
>then the "-Syu switch"
>wait a bit
>press Y
>wait a bit again
>then type the word "sudo" again
>then the "-S" switch
>then "xf86-video-amdgpu"
>hear the oven ring
>go get my tendies
>eat my tendies
>press enter on my keyboard
>wait a bit
>press Y
>wait a bit again
>click the KDE application launcher again
>click the "leave button"
>then the "reboot" button

why anyone would want to go through this linoox shit is beyond me
plus the undercooked tendies tasted like ass
>>
>Linux: Do sudo apt-get install *program*
>all works fine

>Windows: Run *program*-installer.exe
>reboot
>all works fine
>>
>>59640256
A lot of it has to do with shitty hardware vendors essentially catering to windows and then telling everyone else to fuckoff.
To the point they purposefully put in roadblocks to make people writing their own drivers in their own free time for their hardware more difficult that it should be.

They still need to fix linux's shitty GUI but hardware support they do provide is actually impressive, you just have to make sure before you buy hardware it's going to be supported by the platform you want to use if it's not windows. I have seen people complaining they can't even use a primary boot record that isn't named "Windows Boot Manager".

Microsoft is a pretty shitty company because they make some good stuff but practice shady business tactics. You can see internal docs of them planning attacks and why this free open source movement was like "a virus" that cannot be attacked by conventional means. Microsoft is essentially at war for control over your PC, and their most recent moves are deploying malware and spyware into the update system, as well as forcing upgrades so they have more control over your PC. You cannot even tell modern windows when to update, it updates whenever it wants and you can just defer restarting the machine.
>>
>>59643016
this tbqh
>>
>>59642873
>why anyone would want to go through this linoox shit is beyond me
Why anyone would waste time writing paragraphs over something that hasn't happened is beyond me.
>>
>>59640256
My experiences have been the almost the exact opposite.

Windows:
>If anything is 5 or more years old you have to deal with abandonware drivers that may not even be hosted by the company who made the hardware

Linux:
>If something is 5 years old someone's bound to have made a third party driver for it that's included in the kernel (at least generic ones, some distros like Ubuntu like to remove drivers for less common stuff from the kernel)
>>
>be winbabby
>install msys2
>look up how to use pacman
>pacman -[a bunch of random letters] to do basic shit and it isn't obvious what does what
do people seriously know how to use this? is there some trick i'm not getting?
>>
>>59643113
Well that and the fallacy that on windows you cannot just install drivers. There is no install_drivers.exe you just double click on.

So he completely collapsed the windows tree and completely expanded the linux tree. The irony being a native package manager is a tool local on your machine that can install programs with a one liner.
Windows actually has a more roundabout way of downloading software requiring a web browser and navigating websites to download an installation wizard that you have to click through.

Linux has it's weak points but package management is actually one of it's strengths.
>>
>>59640256
Linux is a server or hobbyist OS, its not meant to be used as your daily driver, dummy
>>
Linux just werks if you are +80 IQ
Stay mad nogs.
>>
>>59643279
>works for me so it works for everyone :^)
>anyone who doesn't 100% love linux and criticizes it in any way is a mad nog

Edgy.
>>
File: 1488695152794.jpg (161KB, 549x604px) Image search: [Google]
1488695152794.jpg
161KB, 549x604px
>>59640256
>it
OP's bait is lame, xhe can't even come up with this mythical hardware which doesn't work.

Well, OP, I plugged this same (((it))) in to my computer running Debian Linux and (((it))) just worked without any driver installs or anything. No need to run any installers, (((it))) just werks.
>>
File: 1489783292035.jpg (45KB, 570x487px) Image search: [Google]
1489783292035.jpg
45KB, 570x487px
>>59642613
>2017
>Still using the word skiddie
>>
>>59642873
You forgot to mention your actual mood until you installed "lunux" (whatever it is), the name of your dog and what saw that day when you installed it.
>>
>>59643415
>2017
>Still using combustion engines

>2017
>Still using the word dirt to refer to dirt.

Classic yuppies. Cite the current year and then imply that we should just frivolously change everything to make it "new" because new things are somehow better based off no other criteria other than they are new.
>>
>>59643163
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Pacman#Usage
>>
>>59643457
>yuppies
>on /g/
kek
>>
>>59643163
>is there some trick i'm not getting?

yes, it's called having an attention span and long-term memory capacity beyond that of a squirrel
>>
>>59643493
Well just take out the professional and wealthy part.
I guess yuppie isn't the right word, what do you call modern memesters? tech hipsters?

We need a word for children fresh out of high school or college who think new shitty modern things are better than existing things only because they are "new".
>>
>>59641968
Free as in freedom, not as in free beer, you idiot gay homo anal fag millennial nigger nazi.
>>
>>59643163
pacman -S packagename
>>
>>59643592
consumers
>>
>>59643733
The tolerant Linux community, everyone.
>>
>install linux
>it werks
>here I am browsing 4chan
>>
>>59643983
>linux community is one anon
>>
>>59643310
>using the edge meme that was invented by /v/
Kill yourself, you idiot gay homo anal millennial
>>
>>59644039
Linux market share is so small on the desktop it might as well be just one person.
>>
>>59643983
"tolerance" is a meme invented by homo communist kike millennials and JEWS. kill yourself.
>>
>>59643113
shit flew right over your head
>>
>59644084
My condolences.
>>
>>59641095
>>59642110

Windows 7 is from 2009 and driver installation works the exact same way - double click an .exe, click "Next" a few times.

You should be able to have drivers for whatever devices you want without using a bleeding edge Linux distribution. Linux is defective because of this.
>>
>>59642818
>Claims to have IQ of over 100
>Takes bait
>Makes all Linux users look like basement dwelling products of incest

Every fucking thread.
>>
>>59644274
OpenSUSE. YaST can do everything Windows Update can do for drivers and software in one window.

>You should be able to have drivers for whatever devices you want without using a bleeding edge Linux distribution
Except it isn't the fault of Linux for this. Blame the manufacturers who refuse to support operating systems besides Windows. So no, Linux is not defective for this.
>>
>>59644327
>b-but i saged
>>
>install linux on the desktop
>learn how to use linux
>by extension learn how to use supercomputers and embedded OSes

>install windows on the desktop
>learn to use windows
>move to india
>>
>>59644525
>think installing Ubuntu means you know how to use a super computer
>think that makes you cool because you're 12 and it has the word "super" in it

>install Windows
>go on vacation to beautiful places like Kerala or the Himalayas in India
>>
>>59640256
>Install windows 10
>No network drivers so need to use another computer to get the drivers.
>Update takes forever.
>Install the drivers from windows update.
>No sound.
>Search the driver from the manufacturer's site.
>Ok, no problem.
>Suspiciously high storage drive usage.
>Processes using high amount of resources for no reason.
>Forced updates, give up trying to customize it because the updates sets the defaults again.
>No more possibility to know what are the updates about.
>Error messages are not useful.
>Must uninstall crap often but gets installed again.
>Cannot disable cortana.
>Pretty obvious i don't control my OS.
>Read MS privacy statement.
>Fuck this shit.
>Install windows 7.
>No drivers, must hunt them this time.
>mfw i read that MS is issuing updates that backports W1's bullshit to windows 7.
>mfw i must use third party programs and be careful with the updates to protect myself from my own software provider.
>>
>>59644565
>beautiful
>india
Fuck off poo
>>
File: 1489754995588.png (41KB, 349x374px) Image search: [Google]
1489754995588.png
41KB, 349x374px
>>59644686
>At some moment got interested into looking for other software providers.
>Don't want to buy hardware and hackingtosh seems a fucking hassle so don't care about apple for the moment.
>Download ubuntu mate installation media.
>Try to boot but get black screen.
>Literally first google result tells me how to start with nomodeset and how to install the proprietary nvidia drivers.
>Proceed to install.
>reboot.
>Start again with nomodeset.
>Update OS (extremely fast compared to windows) and install nvidia drivers from a GUI.
>reboot.
>mfw everything works, no need to search for drivers.
>discovers dolphin, youtube-dl, clementine, playonlinux, kdenlive, krita, etc.
>Comfy as fuck.
>Discover my previous MS office documents don't work fine always.
>Read about the problem and discovers MS issued an standard they don't respect and no one know how it got approved something like that.
>Around half of my steam games are not avilable on linux.
>Read about it and discover how closed technologies can work as lock-in mechanism.
>mfw going back to windows would be like begging to be mistreated.
>mfw i would be actively supporting to make worse this situation.
>nope
>Use my computer normally but try to save my documents in open formats when possible to avoid being locked out from them and try to reward those developers who uses a multi-platform approach.
>>
>>59644688
Every place have its beauty.
>>
>>59644565
>think installing Ubuntu means you know how to use a super computer

that's the first step, yes

>think that makes you cool because you're 12 and it has the word "super" in it

>thinking that 'supercomputer' is some science fiction term when even the most shit-tier university in 2017 will have at least one HPC on campus
>>
>>59644688
Goa has pretty good living standards because they rake in so many tourism bux.
>>
>>59644707
Seriously, if i put on a balance the pros and cons of windows and Linux, Linux always wins. Windows has in general given me a lot more of trouble than what it benefits me, and that's just the purely technical aspects, if you have compatible hardware Linux is practically maintenance-free, even installing the few proprietary drivers i need can be done from a GUI directly in the OS and i can keep them updated always from an official source.

Aside from the purely technical aspect i consider a serious disadvantage knowing that if i depend on a Windows-only program is like being married with windows because i don't have the option to abandon it but at the same time i must like whatever Microsoft wants to do with me. Seems a pretty asymmetrical deal to me and more considering Microsoft has a very bad record on being unethical.

Honestly i only use Windows when there's absolutely no option due to a lock-in situation or because i'm asked at work to use a Microsoft-only technology (this is less common each day fortunately) but otherwise i avoid it. No OS is perfect of course and i can't talk about OSX but i'm 1000 times more willing to forgive an honest mistake, for example a bug or the lack of a feature dues to lack of human resources, than something pushed on me on purpose.
>>
>>59640256
Hate to admit it, but I did a clean install of windows10 a while ago and never had a single issue with drivers. It just werked... just as easy peasy as a typical GNU/linux install.
>>
>>59644565
>go on vacation to beautiful places like Kerala or the Himalayas in India
Please tell me you did this on purpose.
>>
File: Uber Kek.jpg (62KB, 395x401px) Image search: [Google]
Uber Kek.jpg
62KB, 395x401px
>>59644713
>Installing Ubuntu is the first step to knowing how to use a super computer
You sound like one of those people who uses decade old thinkpad because that's what they uses on the ISS.

I'm a regular consumer. Knowing how to use a super computer means fuck all to me. I'm never going to use one. Windows is a lot more relevant to me, because it's used at my job, at my dentist's office, my parents use it, etc etc.
>>
File: Spectacle.w13227.png (63KB, 670x603px) Image search: [Google]
Spectacle.w13227.png
63KB, 670x603px
>>59644881
>It just werked.
Good for you, i just installed the LTSB in a virtual machine for testing purposes and the fucker keeps using +70% CPU all the time. I'm giving it a chance but it always does it.
>>
>>59644885

T440s, but close

>I'm a regular consumer. Knowing how to use a super computer means fuck all to me. I'm never going to use one. Windows is a lot more relevant to me, because it's used at my job, at my dentist's office, my parents use it, etc etc.

Linux is a lot more relevant to me because I use it at my job, my vps, at home on my htpc and my desktop, on my routers, and on my smartphone. My parents use chromebooks so they use linux too.

Also, I grew up using windows until I began my career so I also know how to use Windows machines! They are much more annoying to deal with (I can't just scp some dot files from my main machine and be up and running) but I can usually fix most issues.
>>
>>59644998
>Also, I grew up using windows until I began my career so I also know how to use Windows machines! They are much more annoying to deal with (I can't just scp some dot files from my main machine and be up and running) but I can usually fix most issues.
THIS. I definitely think that the people who claims windows is easier is because they barely know anything about linux in the first place and second that they have invested a lot into their pride of being "the computer guy of the family" because they now know how to workaround a lot of the bullshit on windows but for me at least a lot of that things becomes unacceptable once you learn there's a better way to manage an OS.
>>
>>59645096
No, I tried to use Linux a few years ago. It's not easier.
>>
>>59640271
what planet do you live on
>>
>install gentoo
>everything just magically works
>just instinctively know what to do to do anything
>>
>>59645170
To be fair most people grew being trained from a young age on how to use microsoft products as if they were the way to use a computer, obviously for most people any other thing will feel alien in comparison unless you train them is a similar fashion on how to use linux. This contrast a lot with ios or android because for the previous generation mobile devices like smart-phones or tablets was something new and when they tried it they had no bias in comparison so they adapted slowly and teach their children to use them. Now that mobile devices are used even in schools, mostly android it's obvious the reason why people doesn't even touch windows phone, most kids grow with android.

My point is that i don't think windows is easier than linux at all, at least not than user-oriented distros like ubuntu, at least i say this based in my own experience recommending linux to people that doesn't have that much bias, for example people that only uses their computer for simple things like browsing the web or writing simple office documents, it has worked amazingly well for me when the person doesn't have a hard dependency on an strict workflow so i firmly believe that if a person has the same chance to learn both windows and something like ubuntu or mint from the same age linux definitely wins by a wide margin.
>>
File: skinner_simpsons_01.jpg (14KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
skinner_simpsons_01.jpg
14KB, 299x299px
>>59640800
>GPU's not hot swappable
just install the fucking drivers anon
>>
>>59640800
Well, i give you that if you're referring to swappable GPUs only, otherwise the statement is still true.
>>
>windows:
>want to install a program
>search
>go to the website
>find download
>download program
>go through shitty install wizard
>accidentally forget to untick a checkbox
>you now have malware on your computer
>have to search how to get rid of it
>install more software to remove it

>linux:
>type install program name into terminal
really makes ya think
>>
>>59644686
top kek
true
>>
File: 1453967606770.jpg (87KB, 820x811px) Image search: [Google]
1453967606770.jpg
87KB, 820x811px
>buying hardware that isn't supported by your OS
>>
>>59641409
>works
except if you weren't lying to yourself harder than to everyone else you'd know that that's not true
hang yourself
>>
>>59645632
Yeah man how dare someone have the gall to want to have audio on their computer. Fucking Wintards and their features.
>>
File: Oh gosh.jpg (30KB, 600x537px) Image search: [Google]
Oh gosh.jpg
30KB, 600x537px
>>59644707
>dolphin, youtube-dl
Exists on windows
>Literally first google result tells me how to start with nomodeset and how to install the proprietary nvidia drivers.
Wow, you had to google how to get your OS to work? Sounds like a cuck OS to me.
>Discover my previous MS office documents don't work fine always.
t-thanks linus!
>Read about the problem and discovers MS issued an standard they don't respect and no one know how it got approved something like that.
>W-WE DON'T LIKE IT, IT TRIGGERS OUR AUTISM SO WE WONT SUPPORT IT!
Kay.
>Around half of my steam games are not avilable on linux.
Okay, so you're a gaymemes player as well.
>mfw going back to windows would be like begging to be mistreated.
>he actually believes this
MUH MORAL HIGHGROUND!

Windows is shit, but linux distros are a fucking mess.
>>
>>59645458
>windows
>click on the icon
>wizard guides you through installlation
>afterwards settings are easily managed by using options in the gui

linux:
>add correcy repository
>add repository key
>install using command line package manager
>set it up by manually creating an ini file
>have to check manpages te make sure you don't mess up
>If it doensn't work, spit through forum posts to find out why and how to fix it
>>
>>59645757
>Exists on windows
there was an attempt to make a windows port of KDE4 some time ago, but no, current Dolphin is not available for windows
you might be thinking of dolphin-emu, the gamecube/wii emulator
>>
>>59645791
>windows
>click on the icon
>wizard guides you through installlation

You ''are'' the wizard you stupid fuck
>>
File: clem.jpg (85KB, 850x560px) Image search: [Google]
clem.jpg
85KB, 850x560px
>>59645822
Yeah, my bad.
But I just checked and apparently Clementine and Krita are on windows as well.
>>
File: Wow.jpg (154KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
Wow.jpg
154KB, 1440x810px
>>59645849
>YOU DO ALL THE WORK THAT SHOULD ALREADY BE DONE FOR YOU BECAUSE THE CREATORS ARE LAZY DUMMY!

Great moves linux, keep it up. Proud of you.
>>
File: 1476046374944.png (304KB, 488x381px) Image search: [Google]
1476046374944.png
304KB, 488x381px
>>59645849
>installs 6 adware and bitcoin miners.
Stay mad rajesh
>>
>>59645892
windows:
- visit windows mpv builds site and download latest one
- extract it wherever
- do the same for ffmpeg
- again for youtube-dl
- need to find and run another script to make it a registered application you can easily pick defaults for
- if you want them up to date, need to go get them again yourself

linux:
- pacman -S ffmpeg mpv youtube-dl
- updates along with the rest of your system automatically
>>
>>59640271
This. I wonder what all these people are doing wrong.
>>
>>59641409
Lack of knowledge is probably what is dragging you down on windows. It's not fair to compare the two when you are using command line for one and the shit gui for the other.
Just bring up cmd or powershell and do "dism /image:c: /add-driver /driver:c:\locationofdrivers /recurse"
>>
>>59646107
heh, i made the mistake of attempting to integrate the nvidia drivers that way
well, it turns out it copies over referenced files from each and every inf, regardless of if they're referencing the same files
the already huge 300M+ driver package became something like 20G
>>
>>59646175
You could specify it, by removing the recurse and putting in the inf file name in the location. If the install fucks you could use the same command to uninstall the drivers, just substitute add for remove.
>>
>>59646254
in this case i was making a generalized installation image, so it would make no sense for me to pick out only a particular set of inf's for my own hardware (not that i could tell which inf's were for what, they had useless names)
>>
>>59642404
I'm going to print this out and leave coop copies all over the engineering/cs department to trigger autists
>>
>>59642404
>ruby is dead in 2011
uh huh
>>
>>59642532
this.
actually, i really don't get this "AMD sucks on linux meme". I had HD3870, HD6870, R9 280X and now an RX 480, they all worked ootb in Ubuntu.

>inb4 using ubuntu
please grow up
>>
>>59640256
>he values his time
>he isn't immortal being
ishygddt
>>
>>59645757
>Okay, so you're a gaymemes player as well.
Why are you insulting someone for playing games when you clearly play games yourself? You obviously are confusing the dolphin file manager from KDE with the emulator which seems like a gaymer kinda thing.
>>
>>59645757
>Exists on windows
Except for dolphin (not the emulator) is true, i'm just saying i discovered a lot of nice things on linux.

>Wow, you had to google how to get your OS to work? Sounds like a cuck OS to me.
That was probably the worst problem i had, after that everything has been smooth. Most problems are easy to solve on linux but on windows sometimes the best option is to reinstall the system because you cannot know exactly how it works at all.

>t-thanks linus!
This is a common complain but i discovered this is hardly linux's fault or just MSO being "good" at opening documents.

>W-WE DON'T LIKE IT, IT TRIGGERS OUR AUTISM SO WE WONT SUPPORT IT!
>Kay.
Comic related, i don't see a good reason to support that kind of behavior that only hurts me in the long run. Ignorance is a bliss i guess but now i'm the true owner of my documents.

>Okay, so you're a gaymemes player as well.
I like games, i don't play too much but is good to have +2000 games on linux right now.

>he actually believes this
>MUH MORAL HIGHGROUND!
Check Microsoft's record by yourself, i don't need a high moral ground it's just i have some standards on how a company can treat me.

>Windows is shit, but linux distros are a fucking mess.
No OS is perfect of course but for me definitely the linux platform wins when i compare it's pros and cons.
>>
File: 1474809288879.jpg (223KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1474809288879.jpg
223KB, 1200x1200px
>>59640256
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.
>>
>>59641848
what?
I switch GPUs every once in a while from 7870 to 760 gtx and have no issues
>>
>>59647858
Fuck off.
>>
>>59640256
>windows: search google, download driver, install it, shit works
>Linux: search repo, download and install driver with package manager, shit works
i don't know how you fags have so many problems with everything
>>
Not sure if you've noticed but Linux is geared more towards mobile and servers. Linux runs like 80% of both phones, tablets, servers, routers, and other embedded devices. It isn't babbys first OS. /g/ again proves it knows absolutely nothing about technology.
>>
>>59648344
Pretty sure most people is referring to laptops with optimus for example but yeah, i find much more reliable to swap any part on a linux setup than on a windows one when is about disconnecting the part, the only problematic situation is when you have the nvidia proprietary drivers installed but that'll most probably be fixed by GLNVD.
>>
>>59647666
>not knowing about some obscure linux meme and confusing for one of the most well known pieces of software on windows must mean you play games
Kay linus
>>
>>59645987
>IT'S OKAY WHEN LINUX DOES IT
If this is your argument in favor of Linux, then holy shit be ready to get ass-blasted when it's turned back onto you.
>>
>>59640256
hello and what cartoon is this pic from
>>
>>59648989
>implying babies aren't smart enough to use Ubuntu
>>
>>59645458
>type install program name into terminal
>package not found
Thanks stallman
>>
>>59642532
I don't know why but there is very noticeable lag when I use the RX480 driver. I'm running this on Antergos and it performs slower than my weaker GPU.
>>
>>59649020
woo I'll have to google the GLNVD

I'm waiting for the day that AMD proprietary drivers are good on loonix because I don't like nvidia but I'll keep my 760 for gaymen until the day comes
>>
File: 1488598695209.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1488598695209.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>59640256
One bait thread out of many that made me stop going to /g/, but:
>Install Debian on newly built desktop
>Keep breaking shit and reinstalling
>Read the documentation instead of random online guides
>Learn what I'm not supposed to do, like remove packages I think I don't need
>Everything works
>Plug in wifi card
>Works
>Get shiny new ultrabook
>Convenient installation guide right there that works 100%
>Decide I want to put my desktop in a smaller case, need new ITX motherboard
>Wifi no longer works
>Look up solution
>Download package using wifi tethering
>Works
Thread posts: 145
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.