[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How long does your /g/entoo install take? I'd love to try

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: menuconfig_02.jpg (57KB, 480x396px) Image search: [Google]
menuconfig_02.jpg
57KB, 480x396px
How long does your /g/entoo install take? I'd love to try this meme but worried about the install time.
>>
On a Pentium 4 it took me about 5 hours till X.
>>
>>59636757
Don't do it man. It really is a horrible, frustrating meme. Install Debian, you can customize it and make it as lightweight as you want.

Install time is a few hours iirc, because you have to compile everything.. The benefits you get for putting up with this shit is nonexistant.

t.someone who wasted at least 15 hours with gentoo's bullshit
>>
>>59636757
If you just want a fancy kernel config you can do that on any other distro. Any distro will have the kernel sources or if not, you can just download from the website.
>>
>>59636780
>>59636816
the main point is being non-systemd & libre at the same time, which is quite rare nowadays.
>>
>>59636845
It's pretty neat in gentoo how you can mask packages based on license.
>>
>>59636757
>How long
For you I estimate something between a few days and a week.

Installing Gentoo requires learning quite a lot if things if you do not know them already, and your question indicates that you don't.

>>59636780
>t.someone who wasted at least 15 hours with gentoo's bullshit
As someone who used Gentoo for over 10+ years (I don't now) I wouldn't say it's time entirely wasted.

OP should take note of why, Gentoo is in some ways close to Linux From Scratch. If you do take the time to learn how to install and maintain Gentoo then you'll be able to use any distribution comfortably later.

I do agree that maintaining a Gentoo system is a waste of time. The same goes for Arch. These days I just want to drive the car and have it work and not tune and fiddle with the engine on a regular basis so I use Fedora. If you just want a working GNU/Linux system and don't care how it works then don't install Gentoo. If you want to learn how the engine works and how you can customize it then do.
>>
>>59636929
LFS is just a learning experience, it's too complicated of an OS for one guy to maintain by himself so that's why package managers were created.
>>
don't listen to these tech illiterates op, gentoo is great and fast, and if your proccessor isn't terrible and old it will take ~1 hour. I installed it on a t520 with an i17 2640m in like an hour and a half. You just have to know how to correctly install an OS.

-/oyddmdhs+:.                ethan@t520 
-odNMMMMMMMMNNmhy+-` ----------
-yNMMMMMMMMMMMNNNmmdhy+- OS: Gentoo n/a x86_64
`omMMMMMMMMMMMMNmdmmmmddhhy/` Model: 42435UU ThinkPad T520
omMMMMMMMMMMMNhhyyyohmdddhhhdo` Kernel: 4.9.6-gentoo-r1
.ydMMMMMMMMMMdhs++so/smdddhhhhdm+` Uptime: 21 hours, 18 minutes
oyhdmNMMMMMMMNdyooydmddddhhhhyhNd. Packages: 702
:oyhhdNNMMMMMMMNNNmmdddhhhhhyymMh Shell: zsh 5.2
.:+sydNMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhhmMmy Resolution: 1600x900
/mMMMMMMNNNmmmdddhhhhhmMNhs: WM: i3
`oNMMMMMMMNNNmmmddddhhdmMNhs+` Terminal: urxvt
`sNMMMMMMMMNNNmmmdddddmNMmhs/. CPU: Intel i7-2640M (4) @ 2.7GH
/NMMMMMMMMNNNNmmmdddmNMNdso:` Memory: 627MB / 3831MB
+MMMMMMMNNNNNmmmmdmNMNdso/-
yMMNNNNNNNmmmmmNNMmhs+/-` ████████████████████████
/hMMNNNNNNNNMNdhs++/-` ████████████████████████
`/ohdmmddhys+++/:.`
`-//////:--.
>>
>>59636959
If you know how to trim out the fat, you can install it pretty quickly on an older processor. Most people think they can install a full KDE or GNOME desktop and it'll be quick.
>>
>>59636929
So why'd you stop using it after 10+ years? I would have thought it would be tuned perfectly.

And yeah, it's good to know some more stuff about gcc, X, whatever else but it was like being raped rather than learning. I ended up going back because of something with the nvidia drivers I couldn't fix.
>>
>>59636959
>>59636967
Okay yeah I guess I should clarify, that was for the base install including X and no DE, If you are trying to compile KDE or another full-weight environment it will take longer. i3 was quick though.
>>
>>59636986
>>59636929
>>
I selected a desktop profile and then it took like 12 hours to emerge my @world set on a Core 2 Quad in VirtualBox.
>>
>>59636757
The initial setup is top-heavy, especially compiling source, but is a breeze to maintain once everything's rolling
>>
>>59636929
So was there any significant performance increase? Or any advantage of compiling?
>>
>>59636757
>>59637078
I'd say it could take upwards of maybe 16 hours if you're dedicated, but tech clueless.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.