[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Been out of the desktop game for awhile, but right now I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: 4690K-Features-645x411.jpg (74KB, 645x411px) Image search: [Google]
4690K-Features-645x411.jpg
74KB, 645x411px
Been out of the desktop game for awhile, but right now I'm running an overclocked g3258 that just kinda gets the job done.

I'm wondering if it would be dumb to get a 4690k for ~190$ to fit in my existing 1150 motherboard, or will it be really worth my while to upgrade my mobo and pay more for a kaby chip?
>>
File: Comb29032017085030.jpg (1MB, 1275x6389px) Image search: [Google]
Comb29032017085030.jpg
1MB, 1275x6389px
You do realize AMD isn't shit anymore, right?
>>
>>59636561
> AMD isn't shit anymore
True, but unlocked i5 is still a lot.
Meanwhile, you're suggesting to pump some money into a new motherboard, CPU and a high clocked RAM, what for?
>>59636538
Wait for R5 Ryzen, that may lower the prices for a 4690K on ebay.
> kaby chip
Nope, not worth it.
>>
>>59636538
You should buy a used 4770K or 4790K - i5s are a meme and you'll be left wanting to upgrade again six months from now.
>>
>>59636538
>fit in my existing 1150 motherboard
If the rest of your system is good enough for you then go for it, I would say it is worth it IF and only IF you're happy with the rest of it.

My reasoning is that 1150 is an older DDR3 platform. If you're going to actually upgrade then you'll need a new CPU, motherboard and RAM. This will bring the total cost of an upgrade up to a lot more than the amount you appear to be willing to spend.

If there are other things you'd like to upgrade like RAM, perhaps you only have 4 or 8 GB and most of us have 16 or 32 GB now.. then the answer becomes NO. If you just need to replace the CPU then do it. If that's not enough then replace the motherboard and get on a DDR4 platform.

Lastly, see if you can get a 1150 chip cheaper somehow. You could be able to get something better for less used depending on your location.

>>59636561
>You do realize AMD isn't shit anymore, right?
You got to be kidding me, $190 is barely enough to pay for half of a new Ryzen AMD CPU. Add a motherboard and RAM and that becomes a lot more.

AMD used to be the budget king, a lot more bang for the buck at the low and mid end. This round they delivered something that's barely comparable to Intel's high-end at Intel high/top-end prices. I've personally always bought mid-range CPUs and paid about the same as a high-end Intel CPU for motherboard, RAM and CPU. My A8-7600 APU which is am still (ab)using cost me $98.

Intel offers some shit CPUs at $100 and some low/perhaps mid-range CPUs at $200. AMD isn't offering jack shit, they simply didn't deliver. No, I'm not paying $500 for any CPU and I don't care how much you hype it. AMD missed their target audience (people like me) and excluded themselves from the game.
>>
I have a 4690 and it's good enough for pretty much everything. The i7 version just has hyperthreading and the Kaby gen CPUs only have a 5% performance increase. Even for video encoding the 4690 is sufficient unless you encode a ton of videos
>>
>>59636744
What about the R7 1700?

You can OC it to 4GHz with the stock cooler.
>>
>>59636771
Oh and for gaming look at it this way: for all those new Ryzen chip reviews, reviewers need to resort to running game benchmarks at 1080p and low presents. This is the only way to show differences between CPUs. At 1080p Ultra and above, all these CPUs are in a dead heat because game rely on the GPU as much as possible. At any rate, get the 4690 and spend the rest of your cash on a new GPU.
>>
>>59636779
>What about the R7 1700?
>You can OC it to 4GHz with the stock cooler.

Don't care about the R7, don't care what it's the cheapest AMD Ryzen offering and I don't care how much you can supposedly overclock it to.

Does it cost $99? No, it doesn't. What do they charge for it? The same as an Intel 7700k locally. That's not budget prices, that's Intels most expensive 1151 chip. I'd never pay that much for a CPU, ever, not unless it includes a cute asian waifu or something like that.
>>
>>59636744
>comparable to Intel's high-end at Intel high/top-end prices

They released something comparable to Intel's $1000 CPU at half the price. Not everything is about childrens' toys, you filthy piece of subhuman gaymer trash.

>AMD isn't offering jack shit, they simply didn't deliver

The rest of the Ryzen lineup is coming, and will blow the fuck out of Intel at every price point. The R5 series is out in two weeks.
>>
>>59636744
>AMD missed their target audience (people like me)
Yeah, I bet they're utterly devastated at missing out on your business, poorfag. Meanwhile I still can't get the X370 motherboard that I want because they're constantly sold out. Guess they found an audience after all, and it wasn't people scrounging for dual core CPUs in the trash.
>>
File: Comb29032017092929.jpg (134KB, 493x1105px) Image search: [Google]
Comb29032017092929.jpg
134KB, 493x1105px
>>59636853
alright m8, I was just under the delusion that you wanted a worthwhile upgrade. The R7 1700 is more than 2X better than the i5 4690 anon mentioned.
>>
>>59636881
>Intel's $1000 CPU
Don't care, I'd never waste money on a $1000 CPU.

>>59636945
>The R7 1700 is more than 2X better than the i5 4690
Don't care about that, I see no reason to pay that much for a CPU, ever.

Yeah, I'll probably upgrade my A8-7600 APUs eventually, not that I need to since they are just fine for everything I do except video encoding. I have to wait for that like a pizza in the oven, which is fine.

>>59636911
>missing out on your business, poorfag
I bet you're net worth isn't even a six $ figure, people who brag about wasting money never do. Usually they have a negative net worth and problems paying off the debt. If this is you then you may want to change a few things and consider why it is that people who don't spend more than they have to are usually in a far better financial situation than those who do. Let's just go to the very basics, are you in debt? Any debt? I own my home and I have zero debt. And I'm not paying no $500 for a CPU when I can keep using the one I have or pay $200 for one that's just fine.
>>
You keep bitching about AMD not making budget CPUs any more but you conveniently forget that the fx 8350 still exists and does quite well in bench marks.

Don't cheap out on Intel.
>>
>>59638318
FX 8350 has a 125W tdp. That's too expensive and also too noisy.

Funny fact: my 65W APU is essentially fanless. The 140W rated heatsink has a 12" fan that kicks in at 48C which only happens after 20+ minutes of video encoding.

TDP matters.
>>
>>59637043
>Don't care, I'd never waste money on a $1000 CPU.
No shit, that's why the 1700 is kind of a game changer for heavily threaded workloads seeing as how it's $330.

>>59638819
You talk a big game but you sound like a closet poorfag, caring about TDP and using an APU. You make it seem like buying one $300 CPU every 5 years is some kind of horrible life choice.
>>
>>59636538
Not worth that amount oft money
... Go for
> >>59636740
> You should buy a used 4770K or 4790K
Doesn't even has to be an unlocked version. Enough for most of the stuff.
Or a used Xeon with mainboard would work too
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.