[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone please explain to me what the internet is? I understand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 2

File: Asis.jpg (167KB, 1316x987px) Image search: [Google]
Asis.jpg
167KB, 1316x987px
Can someone please explain to me what the internet is?

I understand it's a network of some sort, but how is it different from your standard home network? Does it have a physical location? Does it need a modem or do our ISPs do that?

Is there anything else out there that's like the internet but isn't it?
>>
It's not a big truck, it's more like a series of tubes
>>
>>59634053
It's a lot of home networks, each connected to a bigger home network until you have the whole world.
>>
>>59634408
So the ISP would be the bigger home network?

Would it be safe to say that the internet is just a network of networks?
>>
>>59634434
it is interconnected networks. inter-net.
>>
>>59634053
It's a lot easier to understand when you start studying the difference between MS and linux.

Linux is modular. So is the internet. MS is monolithic, which is more like your home network.
>>
>>59634436
That makes sense.
Thanks anon.
>>
It's a series of tubes
>>
>>59634053
>Is there anything else out there that's like the internet but isn't it?
Your home network is like The Internet, but isnt.

There are many internets, one of which, the world wide web, is known as "The Internet"

The discernible difference between home networks (private networks) and internets (public networks) is the usage of private and public IPs.

If you go ipconfig on your machine, itll either be 10.x.x.x, 192.168.x.x, 172.(16-31).x.x

These are private addresses. Every single home network on the planet uses these addresses. This happens because they are not able to go into the internet, the addresses are physically not able to. So the same numbers can be used over and over and over in different private networks, because they will never meet.

Your modem works as a multi funcitonal device. It performs NAT, which takes your private IP and makes it a public one, using the public IP given to you by the ISP.

So for a home user, both are required; the modem, and the ISP.

There is no physical location for the world wide web. The name in itself should tell you why.
>>
If you wanted to say "who owns/manages the internet or www" or "where is the internet"

the closest answer you could get is where the DNS Name Servers are, they are the authoritative places that decide what site name goes with what IP, if you wanted to go put your hand on "the world wide web" you would go find one of these

It's kind of like the official phone book for the internet that says who has what phone number, the internet is kind of free, but this is one place where totalitarian management is needed

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Name_server
>>
tubes brah
>>
>>59635346
>using the dns bloat and not typing in the address
Kek
>>
>>59636563
>>using the dns bloat and not typing in the address
>Kek

If a site changed IP addresses, how would you find out except for the DNS registry?
>>
>>59636886
>>59636563
>>59635346
>not having your own dns server
>>
>>59636886
it should notify. check your mail maybe
>>
>>59634053
She looks like Moana
>>
>>59634053
Lel wat a shitpost
Kys
>>
>>59637088
?
>>
>>59637846
Kys
>>
It's a bunch of routers and servers
>>
>>59634374
fpbp
>>
File: 1490307428973.gif (213KB, 250x263px) Image search: [Google]
1490307428973.gif
213KB, 250x263px
>>59634053
Your home network is a handful of devices that are connected. Maybe a few laptops, desktops, a phone. They can communicate over different file transfer protocols to share information/send messages. Then you have the internet which is a worldwide equivalent of what's in your house. The internet is also made up of servers, which are simply computers that are dedicated to a specific use: to serve data. A server can be as small as Raspberry Pi with an 8GB SD card or as large as one of those specially made ones that fit in a rack and require a temperature controlled environment. It depends on the usage. Laptops and desktops connect to a router, which is where the wireless part stops. From there the router connects to a modem which connects to phone lines which connect to the ISP. So when you load up the 4chan homepage, your computer sends data to the router over the air (or through ethernet), which is send to the modem, which is sent through the ISP (which could be send to other ISPs data centers too), which is sent to moots upstairs modem, then to the router in his basement, then to his stack of Mac Minis next to his toilet. The Mac Minis see you've requested that front page. It pulls that page from the flash drive (the poorfag can't afford and SSD) ), then it sends that data back the way your request came. You receive that data and the web page is rendered in your browser. You then click on the tech board and make this shit thread by repeating the process of accessing the Mac Minis owned by fruit moot.
>>
>>59634434
Imagine you're a merchant who needs to travel between a bunch of different kingdoms. Your ISP is an organisation that has agreements with all (or most) of the tribes and polities, and for a fee you can travel under their banner, meaning you don't get taxed or stopped at borders.
>>
>>59634053
It used to be pure and white, for one
>>
>>59639440
?
>>
>>59641219
Kys
>>
I find the internet deeply mysterious and the more I find out, the more confusing it is.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tier_1_network

How can it be nobody knows who all the Tier 1 networks are? How can it be that nobody knows what transit actually costs?

I thought it was infrastructure, now I find out its utter chaos.
>>
>>59641318
Y tho
>>
>>59634053
The Internet is nothing but information stored in giant hard drives, hooked up to series' of computers with the singular task of accessing the information stored on said hard drives, when a PC connected to the network requests it.

Once that information is found, it sends that data over the network to the requesting PC
>>
>>59634053
dumb niggrposter
>>
>hmmm i understand the interNET is a NETwork of some sort but...
>hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
>what kind of network could it be.....
>maybe its a bunch of networks inter...
>No that's silly...
>>
>>59634053
Well the internet is technically physical since it's information composed of electrons, it's just that it is split around the world in form of electrons.
You could probably measure its weight tho.
>>
>>59634374
YEEEEEAAAAAWWWWWW
>>
The Internet is a network of networks. You are connected to the network of your ISP, this is called an Autonomous System. Your ISP is connected to other organization (not necessarily an ISP)'s network. Using common standards and protocol, messages can be routed from your computer across your ISP's network across another network across yet another network (etc.) until it reaches another computer (some computers are known as 'servers'). Likewise, other computers can reach you in a the same way. What each network looks like (its physical layout) is not very relevant as long as everyone agrees to the same standards of the data that's flowing across the network. Most networks meet other networks (not all of them) in a meet-me room in a datacenter, using fairly large routers.

There are currently ~63000 such networks (Autonomous Systems) interconnected. Nearly half of humanity is connected to the Internet in some way. The estimated data traffic is ~50 TB/second, or 4.320 Exabyte per day.
>>
>>59634053
I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as the Internet is in fact Google/Internet, or Google + Internet as I've recently taken to calling it.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.