[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I type 100+ words a minute but I follow my own technique. Mistakes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: 4928359_orig.png (489KB, 1043x800px) Image search: [Google]
4928359_orig.png
489KB, 1043x800px
I type 100+ words a minute but I follow my own technique. Mistakes are rare but I do several at a time when it happens. Is there any hope for me to learn typing where I use the correct finger for each key or can I not unlearn what I do now?
>>
>correct finger for each key
Not a thing
>>
Can you do it? Yes, easily.

Will you do it? Probably not.
>>
>>59624591

You can, but it will be a lot more difficult to re-train your brain than it would have been to just learn correctly in the first place.
>>
>>59624591
That image is fucking retarded. Put all your fingers in the proper home row position and then try to reach up to "4" with your index finger. Far less comfortable than using your middle finger for it. "C", "X", and "Z" are all off too.
>>
File: FingerHandPosUSA.gif (10KB, 522x248px) Image search: [Google]
FingerHandPosUSA.gif
10KB, 522x248px
>>59624660
Maybe that's not the US version. This is from Wikipedia.
>>
>pressing 0 with pinky
Who the fuck does that?
>>
>>59624693
That's exactly the same. Did you even look at the images?
>>
Kek. I just rest my fingers on wasd and go from there. Thanks vidya.
>>
>>59624733
No, I'm dyslexic and didn't notice because they're colored differently. I just know that there are rules and that these rules are there for the highest efficiency.
>>
>>59624693
I type 120 wpm and I don't use my pinkies nearly that much
>>
I touchtype 65/70 wpm, I can type faster but I have to make an effort. I learn with actual typewriters but typingweb and I guess mavisbeacon uses the same lessons I did back in the day.
>>
>>59625272
No, they're not
>>
>>59624660
It feels great for me. My hands aren't fat tho so maybe that's the issue. If I get morbidly obese I can test this out again and give you my results. What's your email?
>>
I'm in the same boat as you, OP. I cover the majority with my left hand and can do up to 157wpm using my own style. I tried learning the proper way like a year ago but it was really demoralizing scoring lower on typing tests.
>>
>learning to touch type on qwerty

Don't waste effort on that. If you REALLY want improvement, learn a better layout. If you do some research Dvorak is actually shit, but trust me, even Dvorak is miles and miles and miles better than Qwerty. If you really want the best then look around, maybe try Colemak (I personally prefer Workman over everything else). Then learn to touch-type properly on your chosen layout.

Otherwise just stick with whatever works for you. 100WPM is pretty good unless you are a writer or something.
>>
File: thinkpad.jpg (65KB, 729x501px) Image search: [Google]
thinkpad.jpg
65KB, 729x501px
>>59624591
>tried to type properly on my desktop's keyboard
>struggles
>thinkpad arrives, first notebook ever
>type properly and quite fast

pic related, this keyboard is very comfy
>>
>>59627526
Learning Dvorak will just be a mental and physical handicap anon
>>
>>59628371
>mental handicap
Definitely

>physical
No, dvorak is objectively way better than qwerty according to literally any metric.
>>
>>59628371
on another computer yes, on the dovrak machine no. if both systems ate committed to muscle memory then dovrak will be faster.
>>
>>59628460
>No, dvorak is objectively way better than qwerty according to literally any metric.
That's a myth. Modern empirical studies have found no great difference between the speeds of qwerty and Dvorak users.
>>
I'm at about 64 words per minute.
All those years spent chicken pecking on Runescape must have paid off since I touch type now.
>>
>>59624591
Proper form is a meme. If you can type fast then keep doing what you're doing, unless you look at the keyboard like a toddler.
>>
>>59624591

>I type 100+ words a minute

same here. I use my own system aswell. Its fucking stupid i guess but it just werks so why even bother?! Theres no point for us in learning a "more efficient" system cause we are so fast already tbqh.

This only makes sense when you are a non touch typing brainlet who types at 30 WPM and wants to improve to 60 or smth with a system.
>>
I am typing at 53 wpm. How can improve my typing speed? Currently on a laptop keyboard which is qwerty with Turkish characters. I have a poker %60 but she is not here. I think I will use colemak with my poker and learn touch typing.
>>
>>59633992
Don't even bother anything else than qwerty with those speeds
>>
>>59633992
Do you type Turkish with 53wpm or English? Both can be misguiding. wpm is different in different languages as typical word length could differ (and in English words are pretty short, I don't know Turkish though). Also typing English on a non-English layout will always be inferior.
>>
What is a good FOSS touch typing tutor software? In my package manager I found 6.

klavaro
nlkt
gtypist
ktouch
speedpad
tipp10

Also fucking tuxtype.
>>
>>59630375
No great difference, no, because once you're touch-typing at 130WPM there isn't really much further you can go even if you switch layouts.

But typing on Dvorak will take significantly less effort, cause less strain to your fingers and wrists, and be more comfortable.

>>59633992
>>59634119
>Don't even bother anything else than qwerty with those speeds
I would strongly disagree; alternative layouts aren't necessarily about speed, but about comfort and efficiency. If you're a 100+WPM touch-typist then learning a new layout will be a huge pain. However, if you peck around at 53wpm, then you need to learn proper typing anyway and this is an excellent opportunity to learn a proper layout from the start.

I've tried Dvorak, and trust me, it's much more comfortable than qwerty.
>>
>>59634723
>But typing on Dvorak will take significantly less effort, cause less strain to your fingers and wrists, and be more comfortable.
[citation needed]
>>
>>59634512
Gtypist is comfy.
>>
>>59624591
I do 120, highest I've been able to do for a few weeks was 130 wpm.

Home key always felt terrible for me and honestly any teacher that told me it was mandatory growing up couldn't type faster than me so fuck them.

Also if you're fast enough I see no reason to use tenkey and I never do, I'm much faster at using the numbers at the top. That weird claw position they suggest..
>>
>>59636865
I forgot to add onto this, anyone else who type fast notice that when you're changing between keyboards with very different travel times on the keys you fumble a bit before getting acclimated?

I notice this a lot on those shitty dell keyboards at most businesses
>>
>>59634363
I type 53 wpm English on a Turkish Q keyboard which is my laptop's keyboard.
>>59634119
I am really sorry for not meeting your standarts.
>>59634723
Thanks, I think I will try to use colemak.
>>
>>59624591
If it clearly works for you, don't change it. I use the "proper" way, but I can only get up to 90 WPM.
>>
>>59624591
if you are at +100 already why would you want to change?
>>
>>59634363
>wpm is different in different languages as typical word length could differ
Shouldn't then the formula calculating WPM be different? Should it just take the average length of typed words?
>>
>>59624660
It's literally one of the easiest ways to type if you actually hold your hands correctly, i.e. curled up and slightly hovering over the keyboard.
>>
>>59636619
Literally every metric and study

You can circlejerk over which niche layout is the best by analyzing them differently, but all of them will always be several times better than qwerty (or all the ones that try to be good, at least).

Qwerty isn't really much better than a completely random allocation IIRC.
>>
>>59627526
>100wpm is pretty good unless you are a writer or something

100wpm is above the professional standard for clerks. It's pretty quick unless you're some kind of obsessive freak who may have autism.
>>
>>59637922
>"The evidence in the standard history of Qwerty versus Dvorak is flawed and incomplete. [..] The most dramatic claims are traceable to Dvorak himself; and the best-documented experiments, as well as recent ergonomic studies, suggest little or no advantage for the Dvorak keyboard."
Certainly not literally every metric or study, at least.
>>
>>59624660
I don't know man, I can't do this regular typing style at all.

Might be my small hands, but holding my finger on J means I find it really hard to extend my pinky finger all across to the enter. But then I guess English layouts are different, I have another additional button between L and enter.
>>
>>59625272
Keyboard design is to slow you down from the ancient typewriter days
>>
>>59638464
Don't repeat this old myth.
>>
>>59638524
Dawwww ok. Maybe next bread
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.