[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which USB drive does /g/ use? Is it worth buying an encrypted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 9

File: 111.jpg (12KB, 500x500px)
111.jpg
12KB, 500x500px
Which USB drive does /g/ use? Is it worth buying an encrypted drive?
Considering getting pic related for school work
>>
>>59619769
>Is it worth buying an encrypted drive?
No, most of them have security flaws.
Just buy a regular one and encrypt it yourself.
>>
>>59619769
>encrypted drive
let me guess, you also use windows.
>>
>>59619769
They have security flaws so if anyone actually tries to get in
They could easily so it is pointless
Get a normal one
>>
>>59619769
Consider the USB3 refresh, it's faster even in USB2 ports.
>>
>>59619769
Use FDE yourself. The "encrypted" drives and USB sticks so far have been either unauditable (black box proprietary vendor encryption, with no external review) or comically bad from a security standpoint (one was literally using xor).
>>
Just bought this thing

USB 3 is a thing now they say
>>
What's the best software for creating a encrypted partition on a portable drive? Did the Truecrypt devs really get assasinated by the CIA? I'd need it to run on Windows.
>>
>>59620841
Tomb is nice. Not sure about windows though, why would anyone use windows anyway?
>>
>flash drive
lol i just use the cloud so everything is everywhere
>>
>>59619769
buy usb 3
usb2 is pain
>>
>>59619769
Wouldn't encrypting data on a flash drive wear out the write cycles faster?
>>
>>59620907
I dual boot. I just want it to work on library computers and other such things, which will almost certainly be running Windows.
>>
>>59620994
>There are rumored plans to port Tomb on Win or at least make it possible to open tomb files under Win: this could be possible especially using FReeOTFE or adding compatibility in SecureTrayUtil and contributions are welcome in those directions.

>However we strongly encourage people in need of strong encryption to not use Winslows, or at least to not generate encrypted partitions with it, since it can contain backdoors in the random number generation, as pointed by Bruce Schneier and Niels Ferguson in this short essay about the Dual_EC_DRBG.
>>
What are you hiding?
>>
>>59621048
That's a secret.
>>
>>59619769
Dropbox
>>
>>59621064
Of course a muslim would have something to hide.
>>
>>59621120
oh?
>>
File: osamabinladen_2.jpg (36KB, 467x436px) Image search: [Google]
osamabinladen_2.jpg
36KB, 467x436px
>>59621120
H-how dare you! I'm just a peaceful young christian boy you fucking infidel i'll fucking cut your head off
>>
>>59619769
I remember when 128mb was considered big
I could save a whole total of 40 of my favorite demotivational posters on it
>>
Get several and make redundant copies.

Students would bring me their single usb drive that got corrupted and they would loose the whole semester of projects.
>>
>>59620367
You will lose that motherfucker in a month. And you will seed a speed increase with 3.0 even on 2.0 ports.
>>
>>59619769
Encrypt it yourself smart guy
>>
File: 2000538624.jpg (6KB, 120x166px) Image search: [Google]
2000538624.jpg
6KB, 120x166px
>>59619769
I'm using a Sandisk Ultra Fit. Compact enough to keep in your port 24/7, and fast enough to run a full OS with read/write access from.

I've used the one you posted as a Tails stick as well. It's good, and more stylish, but not as fast.
>>
why would you trust proprietary software to encrypt your data. on a flash drive of all things. do yourself a favor and just buy a regular flash drive and use LUKS. store your keys in another encrypted filesystem, encrypt that filesystem with unsalted ciphertext from a section of a dvd. that is damn near unbreakable encryption. even if someone knows what dvd you're using, they have to shift through every byte using every standard key size, and use a dictionary attack with every cipher. to use your flash drive, just remember 2 numbers, a strong password, and a checksum.
>>
>>59622582

Do you even FIPS 140-2 level 3 with yubikey
>>
>>59619769
I use a 64GB Gorilla Drive. Its only USB 2 but its weatherproof so it's perfect for a keychain. Apparently they also make a 128GB USB 3 version but I can never find it. Best I can find is the 64GB USB 3 version via Walmart.

Its not really worth getting encrypted drives, just do it yourself.
>>
>>59620841
If you're only going to use it on Linux, dmcrypt+LUKS is great, and integrates seamlessly with many file managers.

It's what GNOME Disk Utility uses when you make an encrypted partition, and what the Ubuntu/Mint installer uses when you select full disk encryption.
>>
>>59622636
looks like a blob of shit that can't be trusted.
>>
>>59622636
>yubikey
didn't it end up closed source now?
>>
>>59622735
lol yeah, i wonder how much they were paid for that move
>>
>>59619769
I use this for my piratebox, idk why but it works fine and bretty tough
>>
>>59622735

https://www.yubico.com/2016/05/secure-hardware-vs-open-source/
>>
File: my-pi-3.jpg (74KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
my-pi-3.jpg
74KB, 700x525px
>>59619769
I have a couple of those. They are really fucking annoying to pull out because there is not much to hang on to besides that circle. If you have two plugged in on top of each other it is very difficult to pull them out.
>>
>>59620954
why would it?
>>
>>59619769
I've got three 8GB ones, same model as pic related. All 3 of them are fucked up and have write speeds of 3-4mb/s because of bad memory.
Read is 80-90mb/s. Good luck writing anything to them tho.
>>
>>59622939
Sure, I'll also ask Microsoft what the most secure OS is.
>>
>>59623117
USB drive manufacturers always cheapout write speed
>>
File: sandisk drive.jpg (61KB, 1500x1200px) Image search: [Google]
sandisk drive.jpg
61KB, 1500x1200px
>>59619769
I recommend using a SanDisk Extreme CZ80 64GB drive. Its a really fast flash drive that makes it great for dual booting and for transferring files to it.
>>
>>59623021
>plugging a motor directly into the GPIO
>>
I have one of those and they're not great. After less than a year the firmware crapped itself, so I asked Kingston for software to reflash and they just sent me a replacement.

They're slow as fuck, not worth using with big files. Only with docs or other small files.

The only thing they have going for themselves is that metallic design. Which is why most people even buy them.
>>
>>59619769
I have bought 3 of Silicon Power's 32GB drives (dont have a pic at the moment, the black and silver model)

2 of them have been flawless, ~27MB/s write speed and around 105 MB/s read. One of them corrupted itself and would not let me write to it for a while, I thought it was bad memory but a 100% zero of the drive fixed the problem. Definitely satisfied with them. Theyre like $10 or less on Amazon.
>>
>>59619769
The cheapest one I can get.
I only bother buying from a good manufacturer when I'm buying external hdds.
>>
>>59619769
I don't. I got my phone with 128GB card, samba installed on it and microusb cable, in case I need to boot other OS from it.
>>
>>59622350
I've had mine on my keychain for over a year.
>>
>>59619769
Using just that
>>
>>59624046
>The cheapest one I can get.
Enjoy your piss poor speeds. I've bought cheapo USB sticks before that offer USB 3 speeds, but writing to them I would have thought it was USB 1.1 if I didn't know any better.

There's plenty of scam ones out there too, claiming to be 512 GB when they're really more like 4, but reprogrammed to lie about their size. You'll see all the advertised space even if you repartition and reformat it yourself, but when you write more stuff to it than there is actual memory, it will wrap around and overwrite your partition table and the start of the drive.
>>
>>59626338
I only use USB sticks to store small files. Why would I need speed?
Also, I said cheapest but I didn't mean the ones you buy from Ali Express.
>>
>>59626424
Then satisfy yourself with an old ass 2-4 GB stick. You don't even need to bother with "cheapest", they're not uncommon as giveaways with logos printed on them.

Amazon and Ebay also have counterfeit USB sticks.
>>
>>59626539
I do.
I'm a frugal type of guy.

There's no eBay in my country and Amazon only sells books and Kindles here.
>>
>>59619769
>(((encrypted drive))) that works via ((((((((USB)))))))) on your ((((((((((((((((((((((((((((Intel)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))) machine
>>
>>59622545
Exactly, it fits perfectly into the left slot on my t430, I almost never take it out
>>
>>59622545
This is what I use to expand the storage on my chromebook
>>
>>59623262
too fat. sooner or later you need to stick two usb devices close to each other.
>>
File: 1457542318762.png (488KB, 750x550px) Image search: [Google]
1457542318762.png
488KB, 750x550px
>>59619769
I have two of those, a 64gb encrypted silver drive and a 16gb gold drive.

Idea was to make the gold drive a multi boot (I always keep a linux drive usb on my keychain) but I lost interest so now I just have to stylin usb drives on my keychain

I unironcally have a core drill on them too
>>
>>59619769
I use that same one. Works fine. Looks nice too.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.