[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>been browsing /g/ and hackernews for almost 3 years >been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: download.png (7KB, 240x210px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
7KB, 240x210px
>been browsing /g/ and hackernews for almost 3 years
>been procrastinating actual programming for over 3 years
>gone through some of SICP and finished some other tutorials but never done any real world programming
>always feel like I'm one entire tutoail away from doing anything
>know that googling and trial and error are the only ways but can't bear to start
>know why every single programming language is the best or worst one
>know why functional programming is the best and worst thing ever

Was anyone else like this? I can't bear to begin.

And is there a point if I'll never be some John Carmack like genius? He was smart AND insanely hard working, so why bother when people like him find everything i ever do trivial.
>>
what's the most "advanced" program written by you, anon?
>>
>>59619213
Go to school, you idiot.

If you're already at a uni, simply stop your internet subscription. Including your mobile.
Do all of your work/learning with uni's computer during daytime.
>>
>>59619213
Maybe programming isn't for you.
>>
be yourself and let go from the pressure cycle of expectation that paralayzes you in self-fulfilling deception thru simulation, accept yourself for who you are and not someone else and only then when you accept yourself you can begin accepting as part of yourself and have action in the world naturally as a flow instead of a crippling duty

in b4 r9k
>>
>>59619213
>John Carmack like genius
>functional programming

John Carmack doesn't give a SHIT about functional programming.

Get down to the bits. learn about digital adders. Learn about fucking transistors, timers, oscillators, etc. build up from there. It will all make sense.
>>
>>59619286
I suspect OP is too old for school.
Why does everyone treat "programming" like some sort of an escape route after they fuck up their education? You had your chance and you blew it. It's time to grow up, OP.
>>
OP here. I actually did well at university in a stem degree I hated and wasn't related to programming. I just have lots of free time right now
>>
>>59619213
And shit posting on /g/ is going tk help you how?

Stop being a narcassitic little bitch who would rather seek attention about doing something than actually doing it.
>>
>>59619365
>be yourself and let go from the pressure cycle of expectation that paralayzes you in self-fulfilling deception thru simulation, accept yourself for who you are and not someone else and only then when you accept yourself you can begin accepting as part of yourself and have action in the world naturally as a flow instead of a crippling duty
In a year and a half maybe. He should just tgo to university at that point.
>>
>>59619734
was meant for >>59619365
>>
So OP, what exactly is your problem? What keeps you from doing what you want?
>>
>>59619213
Pls make Noughts-and-Cross game for iOS.
Sell turns in game for 1.99.
>>
People are horrible at learning (*) on their own. Sure, there are a few who succeeded, but it's rare and only proves it's generally not a thing for us mortals.
Self learning requires self discipline, and any psychologist will tell you that despite what you might've learned from pop-culture, you can't rely on your willpower alone. It can have a supporting role at most. The part of the brain responsible for self control is evolutionary younger and significantly less developed compared to the old part responsible for our primal instincts. So in the long run, in a situation where those two have to face each other, it simply can't compete.
You need to find some other way around. Like, for example, reorganizing your life - reserving some proper time slots for your learning, finding some sort of a support group (exclude anything internet-related), finding a proper environment (presence of other people makes you work harder and prevents from slacking off), setting up routines and rules. Most of that you can't do on your own, like with execution of the routines and rules, because you can't expect it to work when you're the judge and the defendant in one person. Besides, organizing all of this is probably impossible. But that's what schools are for.
So either get serious and sign up for a college or one of those accelerated boot camps, or don't bother

(*) I'm talking about prolonged learning of a material that spans over the course of months/years, like in your case. Some isolated chunks of material like e.g. a new programming language are feasible to learn on your own (but even then they can be somewhat challenging)
>>
>>59619365
>ohn Carmack doesn't give a SHIT about functional programming.
except he talked in a presentation on why it is awesome.
He is a BIG fan of haskell.
>>
>>59619286
Do that. Or don't go to uni and do an online program at your local library. The only way to force yourself to learn is to take away all the distractions.
>>
>>59619213
Here you go https://functionalcs.github.io/curriculum/

Of course the best way is decide to build something and just build it without knowing anything. For me it was I wanted to drop binaries on a home router that could automatically change a VPN based on destination.

As you go, look up stuff in the above guide and google the rest. That's how everybody typically learns: they build a half-assed Virtual Machine or game, the process teaches them how to program then they realize they need better more formal training (Like Carmack who now shills for all kinds of formal books).

HtDP of course, teaches you how to start to design a program but there's also the Knuth method from the 60s which is just to write it out on paper, and then keep breaking it down into smaller and smaller chunks. You then start by programming the smallest chunks first, and building your way up to the main program. One you get to the main program you trash everything you've written because you now have a good idea of what needs to be done and rewrite it all again but this time when you get to main the program has written itself almost and you just put on some finishing touches. This method is in 1.4.1 'Subroutines' of the art of computer programming series
>>
>>59621050
This works too, you build a schedule and force yourself to go to a library to work 2hrs per day with no distractions.

I had the same problem as OP. The only cure at the time was a Matt Might productivity blog post (compsci prof) on how he nuked X and lived in the terminal his first year in university to remove distractions. I did the same but problem was I just programmed emacs to be able to shitpost on 4chan with my own 4chan.el and to watch Walking Dead, and to stream UFC fights, so I was back to where I left off except the process of wanting to watch all that garbage taught me how to program
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.