[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on watercooling. How efficient is it compared to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 183
Thread images: 24

File: 6545.jpg (93KB, 750x500px) Image search: [Google]
6545.jpg
93KB, 750x500px
Redpill me on watercooling.

How efficient is it compared to aircooling? Is it safe? Is it expensive? Why is it so niche?
I don't want my new workstation to look like a pile of garbage but unfortunately that's how it is with tower coolers.
>>
>>59615781
>I don't want my new workstation to look like a pile of garbage but unfortunately that's how it is with tower coolers.
Well, dont buy a ugly tower cooler then. If you don't plan on overclocking there really isn't any benefit in watercooling for most people. More of a pain really.

>How efficient is it compared to aircooling?
You can get much lower temps with water, especially with custom setups, but as I said pretty much useless unless you oc.

>Is it safe?
Yes, just check for leaks before you turn the system on.

> Is it expensive? Why is it so niche?
Custom water setups is expensive, all in one systems are reasonable. It is niche because of the price and most people dont overclock anyway.

It does look better than air setups as you pointed out tho, if you spend some time and money on it.

Tldr;
If you dont plan to overclock and dont want to spend a big chunk on just looks, its not worth it.
>>
What the water does is it moves the big heatsinks from right next to the components to somewhere else. It is very effective at taking heat and dumping it somewhere else.

The advantage being that you can have radiators that would otherwise not fit in the location that the component is in.
>>
stop making threads for retarded shit that can go in existing threads
>>
>>59615873
I might add; even with just medium sized air coolers, you can get quite good overclocks on modern cpu's. Just make sure airflow in the case is good.
>>
>>59615873
I do plan to overclock and money is not an issue. Is there a place where I can get spoonfed on what to buy and how to set it up or do I have to google it by myself?
>>
>>59615781
Water has some thermal whatsit that makes it take a long time to change temperature.

So it's great for short spikes in temperature compared to air cooling. Like, with an air cooler, the fan might have to pick up 1000rpm to deal with the heat for 5 seconds, but a watercooler wouldn't change fan speed at all.
>>
Google around, you'll learn. I will say, more expensive does not mean equally better cooling performance in water parts for custom setups. Theres VERY deminishing returns in this area, so basicly find something you like the looks of.
>>
>>59615781
just get a corsair h100 and call it a day.
>>
>>59615781
l e a k s
e
a
k
s
>>
the redpill on cpu cooling is that if you spend over $100 on cooling you're wasting money

the redpill on gpu and motherboard cooling is if you water cool them you're wasting money

these don't apply if you actually make money from having slightly faster and cooler components

as computer technology advances and trans sisters get smaller everything gets more efficient and you have more power with better thermal properties so things need less cooling, you'd be better off just buying latest generation components
>>
>>59615781

It's snake oil. Overclocking does nothing and stock coolers are sufficient. You can buy an aftermarket cooler if you want less noise but that's the last stop for rational thinking.

Below this post you will see manbabies defending water cooling as not being absolutely retarded just like audiophiles defend $15.000 power leads.
>>
>>59616077
>tfw can't even buy a quiet aircooler for a 1600x in canada without paying over $100
>>
>>59616141
Buy used then.
>>
File: P1010009.jpg (3MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
P1010009.jpg
3MB, 4032x3024px
>>59615781
Makes shit run super cool
Expensive
Takes work to setup a proper rig
Looks good
Ability to overclock to the absolute max.

Pic is my flashy first rig
(Yes I know it's a bit distasteful)
>>
>>59616032
Water can absorb more hear without heating itself up as much as air.
It's actually the reason we have weather.

>>59616045
Pump noise then pump failure
Into the garbage it goes.
>>
>>59616070
^this

Not too long ago there was a major benefit in cpu water cooling, then that died down and gpu water blocks became a fad. Now I see no reason to do either.
>>
>>59616532
>no reason to do either.
The same argument can be made about high end hardware

People buy shit because they want to.
There doesn't need to be a logical reason
>>
>>59615781
Depends on how you set it up, consider though that a Radiator is just a big heatsink being cooled by fans - exactly the same as air cooling, except the rad can be placed away from the CPU and can potentially be bigger.

>is it safe
If you're willing to pull it down yearly and clean/flush it, a very long time, longer than the parts they'll be cooling - but only with that maintenance, without it - two years tops.
That's assuming everything was done right in the first place...
>is it expensive
If you want something that's actually better than air cooling, yes, very much so.
>why is it niche
Because to set it up right with a systems that's actually better than air cooling, you're gonna pay ~8x the price and still have potential for failure.

>I don't want my new workstation to look like a pile of garbage but unfortunately that's how it is with tower coolers.
radiators are just heatsinks.
>>
>>59615955
https://www.ekwb.com/configurator/
>>59616490
my wife's son would love it
>>
>>59616564
Also I should add that only counts for custom loops.

AIO is trash 100% of the time.
Consider than Noctua/BeQuiet/Phanteks/etc all offer 7 year warranty on their products (essentially how long the fans will last)
Corsair offers 7 years on their PSUs (same, essentially the life of the fan)
Corsair only offers 12 months on their AIO coolers...

Take that as you will.
>>
>>59616595
I have a corsair h80i gt and it is working very well for me a year later. Low temps too, better than my 212 evo with a 4690k at 4.7 GHz... Just saying you may have gotten that bullshit together through research on the net, but what I am saying is I am a actual owner of AIO and I don't regret my purchase and am glad that I didn't waste time with a custom setup.
>>
>>59616571
I know, I know
I was fucking 17 when I made that.
Back when I out LEDs in everything.
My shower was led
My room full of leds
Front door was LED lit
Old truck has LEDs underneath
My desk was led lit

Damn I was a weirdo
>>
>>59615781
It's all for aesthetics, A good air cooler will do the trick, i've had my 3770k overclocked at 4.8 on a Noctua air cooler for the last 3 years.
>>
File: drp3-3b.jpg (166KB, 750x760px) Image search: [Google]
drp3-3b.jpg
166KB, 750x760px
Just get a giant air cooler. Dark rock pro 3 loocks good if you don't want a noctua d15 / thermaltake macho rev b.

Buy low profile ram though.
>>
File: DSC04444.jpg (1MB, 1992x2393px) Image search: [Google]
DSC04444.jpg
1MB, 1992x2393px
I've been water cooling for years now and what little practical effects it had on performance is non existent now outside of noise levels under load and even that is getting close. Water cooling is 100% a hobby, as useful as building ships in a bottle.
>>
File: Z270.png (252KB, 881x389px) Image search: [Google]
Z270.png
252KB, 881x389px
>>59616693
Current build I got going in a Nose 804. Would post it but it's a mess of mixed match fittings/hose types. Once I get it cleaned up i'll post it in guts threads.

The 7700k is at 5.2ghz and the 1080 clocks over 2000ghz. Idle temps are not since my fans at idle run at 500ish RPM. they are set to ramp up when the GPU/CPU get above 70 degrees but that never happens outside of benchmarks. Even encoding video won't get temps high enough unless it's for hours upon hours on end.
>>
>>59616693
I'd say it's more akin to building an aquarium in a boat.
>>
>>59616631
>My medium-end coolers works better than a low-end cooler
No shit? Overhyped212 isn't actually a very good cooler...
However the fact the warranty is 12 months for the regular AIOs (apparently it's 3 years for the 'i' variants and 5 years on the H115i) should show you that even Corsair don't put as much faith in them as they do their PSUs for example.
>I should also point out the BeQuiet has lowered their air cooler warranty to 3 years since they brought out their own AIOs and Phanteks is at 5 years, Noctua is still 7 years)
>>
>>59616689
Go Noctua or Phanteks.
BeQuiet dropped their warranty to 3 years.
>>
>>59616730
>1080 clocks over 2000ghz.
Every GTX 1080 bios has the ability to boost to 1,987mhz given the right temperature and power.
It's built into every bios.
2,000mhz is not a good overclock.
>>
>>59616873
>given the right temperature

You played yourself but you do have a point. Pascal is kinda shitty for over clocking. I maintain my clock speeds with no increase of fan speeds. A lot of 1080s cannot maintain boost clock speeds even with 100% fan speed
>>
File: sr1_gross004.jpg (157KB, 1500x997px) Image search: [Google]
sr1_gross004.jpg
157KB, 1500x997px
>>59615781
There are plenty of good looking heatsinks

Anyways. In my humble opinion the advantage of liquid cooling is how quiet you can get it to be while still having reasonable temperatures. I never built a custom loop in order to have the best temps ever, but I have built them to have an overclocked CPU and a GPU in a loop that's below the ambient noise level of my office.
>>
>>59616655
lol'd, thanks anon
>>
File: 1281957941101.jpg (3KB, 119x126px) Image search: [Google]
1281957941101.jpg
3KB, 119x126px
>>59616490
>waterblock on RAM
That's just ricing
>>
>>59616896
Pascal is an amazing overclocker
It's just boost 3.0 automatically gets you 95% of the way there by itself.

My gtx1080 will boost to 2,012mhz by itself when it's below 30C
1,987 over 30C(water blocked)

The voltage is limited by Nvidia to avoid damaging the chip yes, that's it's major flaw.

We've already seen 3,000mhz 1080ti already
The OC is there with the right voltage.
>>
>>59616928
On another note, by 70yr old father likes using that LED shower because he doesn't see well anymore.

>>59616935
Yes I know
It's for looks (even though it makes thermal contact)
It's a pain in the ass especially when 1 DIM died and I had to remove it.
>>
>>59616952
>The voltage is limited by Nvidia to avoid damaging the chip yes, that's it's major flaw.
And that's why Pascal is a fucking boring overclocker. Pretty much all Pascal cards will reach 2 GHz, but good luck getting above it unless you apply hardware mods to get past the voltage limit or buy KFA2's HoF cards.
>>
>>59615987
this works against it too, because if the water in the system gets heated faster than the coolers can cool it, you cant bring in cool water from anywhere else, but if you open a window you can bring in ambient temperature air
>>
>>59616551
My Pentium d had water cooling as basically a requirement.
>>
>>59616689
Pain in the balls to install though.

You have to find a way to support the Mobo either side while it sits on top and you tighten the screws from the back of the board underneath.

This assumes, if Intel, you put the bracket together properly and everything lines up with your choice of three fixing holes drilled into each leg (it does but it never really feels like it will)

Got it done but never again.
>>
>>59615781
Not as much as it was before the widespread use of heatpipes. You can have quiet and reasonably efficient air cooling up to 100-150W, so unless you're running a 16-core xeon and/or overclocking, chances are you don't need it.

>Is it safe?
Less safe than air cooling. Reasonably safe if you're not retarded when assembling it. Do not use for stuff running unattended.

>Is it expensive?
Yes.

>Why is it so niche?
Because extremely few people have 200W CPUs.

>I don't want my new workstation to look like a pile of garbage
1. Buy a case without windows.
2. Profit
>>
>>59617109
So just hold the motherboard in place upside down on top of the heatsink while mounting it.
It's not that hard.
>>
>>59617109
I have a NH-D9L. It's small, but for large cooler do they not have you set up the bracket first, then screw the heatsink on at a later time?
>>
>>59615781
>>
>>59617187
What you describe would require three hands.

On more careful examination, I have a Dark Rock 3, not a Dark Rock Pro 3.

The difference is the fan protrudes over the heat sink on the DR3 so you can't do that. With the Pro, maybe you can balance the motherboard on top of the cooler I suppose. But you've still got a meccano mounting thing that has a lot of play in it which doesn't help.
>>
>>59617317
if you cant attach a cooler like that according to the instructions you must be mentally or physically subnormal
>>
>>59615781
Placebo
>>
Which case would you recommend for watercooling?
>>
30-50°c difference for cpu/gpu depending on setups. All-in-one watercooler are mostly for looks.
>>
>>59617109
Spent $500 on a loop cause i wanted silence. Looks neat and performance is decent, but lets be real, good air coolers are more quiet.
Still rocking a 780 cause i cbf draining the loop.

Going back to air cooling with new rig
>>
More trouble than it's worth in my opinion, especially now that you can get high quality closed loop cooling solutions.
>>
>>59615987
yeah duh, watercooler won't change fan speed because it doesn't have any fans at all
>>
>>59618430
Only closed loop worth getting is that EK prebuilt one since its pretty much legit WC gear.

AIO's are shit tier. Same performance as a NHD15 but prone to mechanical failure and is louder.

Only acceptable use case is if you're doing a small form factor build
>>
>>59618467
Personally I think one of the great strengths of a custom loop is the addition of the GPU
Even two slot, three fan coolers from expensive brands are more noisy than a good cheap CPU cooler under load
The noise/temps starts looking really good when a GPU block is added to a custom loop
That's harder to do with a CLC in which case you'll often have to get more than one
>>
File: IMG_20170321_211557_HDR.jpg (2MB, 3456x4608px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170321_211557_HDR.jpg
2MB, 3456x4608px
>>59615781

Its not expensive

£40 pump, £30 reservoir, £20 PETG tube, £30 fittings, £40 CPU water block

I haven't got a GPU block but that would be another £60.

Mine cost £150 without a GPU block, so around $200

It's also much better looking than a stock cooler and most third party coolers.

The other alternative is a AIO cooler
>>
>>59620024
...why not spend 100 less for an all in one retail system?
>>
AIO is the most inaccurate term
>>
>>59620024
Do you get better cooling than a $80 air cooler for that price?
>>
>>59620043
A. no GPU
B. Style points(get that rice son)
>>
>>59620116
You get more overhead. You can get a higher clocked(hotter running) CPU to the same temps and if you rad is big enough you can add your GPU block too

Quieter
>>
>>59620118
It's cool to DIY, I get it.

For pure cost though, you can always go cheaper than 200.
>>
>>59617094
nowadays the "requirement" would be silent systems without putting 50+ celsius heat out constantly
>>
>>59620307
Oh yeah I personally wouldn't recommend liquid cooling to anyone who isn't interested in the hobby element
I'm not the anon who posted that image btw
It requires maintenance, it's more costly and so on, so I get it. But if you can be fucked and hardware is something you're interested in, then it has results
>>
>>59615781
Knew 212 evo is like the standard, compare to popular corsair water reviews and most say "few degrees cooler" (doesn't seem worth 4x the price...)

Find another water cooler for $60 on sale, few reviews say it leaked and ruined the video card and motherboard (one almost burnt down house).

Guess lots of people don't install them right or spend the money, sadly with what they cost I could just buy a nicer CPU.

TLDR
There is a reason you always see air, and almost never see water.
>>
Right now I have two i7 towers in an apartment, one with 970s in SLI and one with 3 GTX 670 cards for Cuda neural network training. When it's running it literally heats my entire apartment in winter, and melts me on warm days. I'm considering water cooling so I can literally use the radiator to radiate some of that heat out a window in summer. Anyone done something like this?
>>
>>59620449
When OP says watercooling I'm certain he means a custom liquid cooling loop

Stop referring to CLCs as AIOs and watercooling
>>
>>59620491
Clcs are very much water cooling.

Just because it has a radiator does not mean it's not water cooled. This goes far beyond computers, BTW.
>>
>>59615781
Loops like your pic and >>59616693 >>59620024 are full retard. They are purely for "looks".

Simple advantage to a proper loop is much better temps and much quieter system. All info past 2008ish is bullshit for the most part. Those builds are for show not performance.

>>59620449
>>59620515
Those CLC, AIO, w/e you want to call them aren't the best a water cooled loop can be. Not close at all really but they still out perform air coolers.
>>
>>59620611
Hey, I'm not saying they are as "good", but they ARE liquid cooling.
>>
File: 1240393095655.jpg (71KB, 639x595px)
1240393095655.jpg
71KB, 639x595px
>69 replies and not a single shitpost in sight

You guys are alright.
>>
>>59620662
In a vague sense. They often don't use the same coolant as custom loops. They favor long term stability so their coolants are often thicker and probably closer to antifreeze. Their pumps are very under powered.

Like saying all air coolers with heat pipes are the same design.
>>
>>59620801
I never said they were the same design.

But an air cooler is an air cooler, regardless of the quality of design.
>>
>>59620491
Which costs even more, put that money toward a better CPU, or save the money and upgrade more often. (Trying to squeeze more years out of a PC, just save the money and upgrade more often)
>>
>>59620836
>But an air cooler is an air cooler, regardless of the quality of design.
Not true at all. There are many types of air coolers. Passive, different fin designs, heat pipes, carbon tubes, etc
>>
>>59620852
Water cooled loops are adaptable. They're not locked to one component.
>>
>>59620881
I agree, there are many types of liquid cooling too.

Listen to the argument you are presenting...

>>But an air cooler is an air cooler, regardless of the quality of design.

You disagree

>Not true at all.

Then for evidence you back up my claim..

> There are many types of air coolers.
>>
>>59620515
I'm interested in having the same terminology here
Just because a CLC is a liquid loop doesn't mean that's what people are on about when they say watercooling
CLCs and custom loops are so different, it's silly and harmful to the debate to use the same term
>>
>>59620916
Which is a good point, it's an investment, something you will probably use on possibly every build for years and year. Always wondered if I got one like 10 years ago if I'd still be using it today and if so, maybe it was silly not to get one. (Heck I still got my q6600 in the bedroom so who knows)
>>
>>59620852
Cost is what it is. If you have top shelf parts and can afford a custom loop that you enjoy taking care of there is no downside to having one.

The biggest argument for me personally is having the same CPU temps and much better GPU temps while having a silent build
>>
>>59620937
Which is why you differentiate.

Just because Lamborghinis are not civics does not mean both are not cars.

It's silly and harmful to try to ambiguously separate based on design.
>>
>>59615781
>people go for watercooling when the legendary NH-D15 exists
>>
>>59620924
Yes. You're trying to put a narrow term to a very broad application. On an enthusiast level the most advance air cooler with heat pipes etc isn't an air cooler. Pretty common distinction used widely among all sorts of hobbies and professions. Saves time and energy. Otherwise when people say air cooled they would have to say they mean an air cooler with heat pipes made out of copper and coated in nickle. You don't include basic finned copper/aluminium.

It's also known as not being an autistic little bitch.
>>59620944
10 years ago probably not. They advanced too quick from then. 5ish years yes. As long as you take care of the components they last a long time. Pumps wear out and water blocks need replacing if a new socket/gpu comes out.
>>
File: 71d0XYH3EAL._SL1000_.jpg (165KB, 1000x954px) Image search: [Google]
71d0XYH3EAL._SL1000_.jpg
165KB, 1000x954px
>>59616689
>bro just air cool
>*breaks your motherboard*
>>
>>59620996
I also consider watercooling to be an inaccurate term, that's why I'm willing to accept it for custom loops.

When I mean all liquid coolers I say liquid cooling
>>
>>59621010
Can't fit it on my GPU so well
>>
>>59621016
I got this as a joke. It cost more than the motherboard on my build and is the biggest fucking thing on it.
>>
>>59621054
how well does it work?

how does the motherboard even support it?
>>
>>59621034
Distilled water > Coolant for cooling performance
>>
File: 1338664351538.jpg (18KB, 428x469px) Image search: [Google]
1338664351538.jpg
18KB, 428x469px
>>59621128
Distilled water = liquid
Premixed coolant = liquid

See where I'm going with this?
>>
>>59621013

Iwaki RD30 pump from Japan will last decades unlike the D5
>>
>>59621160
Is it as quiet as a D5 with adjustable speed?
>>
It's not price or effort efficient at all. Unless you're doing a custom loop because you explicitly want the looks/pride of doing a custom loop, don't bother.
>>
>>59621013
>On an enthusiast level the most advance air cooler with heat pipes etc isn't an air cooler.

But, as you just said, it is. "the most advanced air cooler isn't an air cooler".

There is nothing narrow about my terms at all, they are broad terms, by design.

>You don't include basic finned copper/aluminium.

But you do.
>>
>>59621150
Distilled water does perform better than those premixed liquids and won't clog the waterblocks over time.
Costs less too

https://www.reddit.com/r/watercooling/comments/3vgnec/what_red_coolant_wont_clog_or_stain_the_reservoir/
>>
File: 1312234940097.jpg (43KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1312234940097.jpg
43KB, 500x500px
>>59621200
Are you now saying distilled water is not a liquid?
>>
>>59621160
Also runs on 24v, isn't PWM controlled, is fucking huge, and has the wrong fittings for any commercial water cooling component.

>last decades
Pushing it. Their pumps are rated for like 30k+ hours.
>>
>>59621196
>autism
>>
>>59621174
You can put it in a box with acoustic dampening foam and it's as good as 2 D5s.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?281505-Two-Liang-D5-Strong-%28in-series%29-or-one-Iwaki-RD-30
>An RD-30 puts out almost the same pressure as two D5 strongs do at 24V.
>I think it's a bit louder, D5s even at 24V are fairly quiet. You also lose some redundancy with just one pump, but RD series pumps are ridiculously reliable.
>>
>>59621150
>>59621216
Are you literally retarded or just a colossal fucking idiot?
>>
>>59621257
Hah. That's pretty ambitious
>>
>>59621293
No I'm almost certain it's you buddy
I never argumented against the distilled water. That's what I use with a tiny bit of biocide in it
You're the one who seems to think I have
>>
>>59621216
What? Water is a liquid. The premixed stuff just doesn't perform as good.
>>
>>59621325
Noone is saying it does
I'm just saying liquid cooling is the most accurate term because despite the fact that distilled water seems to work the best, people have had a lot of things in those loops through the ages
The first to mention distilled water was >>59621128 for no apparent reason
>>
>>59621317
Copper is naturally antimicrobial and you could add a silver coil to the reservoir.

https://www.amazon.com/Silver-Coils-Antimicrobial-999-Strip/dp/B00A66HMRC
>>
>>59621363
I don't want to use a kill coil. I like toxic stuff better
>>
File: 1481697146253.png (217KB, 2048x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1481697146253.png
217KB, 2048x2048px
>>59621363
Not the guy you're arguing with but can retards not just blindly recommend shit that can destroy a water cooling system. Adding silver to a loop needs careful consideration. It's not for all loops. A "silver coil" like that would destroy most modern loops. I mean physically destroy your water blocks and radiators.
>>
>>59621245
I would think it's autism to begin randomly screeching at people for using arbitrary "incorrect" terms.
>>
>>59621429
This is one of the reasons for my biocide
>>
File: p5-1080rad.jpg (320KB, 980x735px) Image search: [Google]
p5-1080rad.jpg
320KB, 980x735px
>>59615781
The radiator(s) and reservoirs/fittings/tubing can be reused.

http://www.frozencpu.com/images/products/main/ex-rad-189.jpg
>>
>>59621438
Everyone knew what OP was on about
CLCs came later
Nothing arbitrary about it
>>
>>59621016
Got two U12DO for my server build. They don't even fit next to each other.
>>
>>59615781
>Why is it so niche?

because its terrible value. the only way you can justify it is if you are OC'ing a top of the line CPU where there is no better CPU in its class.
>>
>>59621517
I still think whisper quiet GPU cooling is an even better argument. But there's no doubt it's ultra enthusiast
>>
>>59615781
>Redpill me on watercooling
Hobby-tier meme. Like someone else said above, unless your CPU makes you money through the work it does, it's not worth the investment unless you get great joy just from the building process.

Not really sure what you mean by efficient. A pump and radiator with fans will use more power than just a pair of fans. Is it effective? I think this is what you meant, and yes, the best watercooling setups can dissipate more heat than the best air cooled setups under the right circumstances. The better question is who gives a shit when air cooling is already as good as it is.

>Is it safe
This depends on your definition of what is safe. What we can say for sure is that watercooling is much less safe than air cooling, so in this sense, no, it is not safe. This can't really be argued.

>Is it expensive? Why is it so niche?
Yeah it's expensive, doesn't really deliver meaningful results to the average consumer, and adds several points of possible failure to a computer system. Honestly asking why watercooling is niche make me think this entire thread is bait.
>>
>>59621517
Water cooling is the most quiet way to cool a gaming PC.
>>
>>59621489
And that is relevant how exactly?

Contextually it was very clear, even with the broad terminology.
>>
>>59621550

A single pump and 2 Phobya 1260 rads and run it fanless.
>>
>>59621573
Totally negligible when you consider the potential for pump noise.

>>59621641
Yeah two $500 radiators, good plan. Pumps still have to work at about a 20-40W clip anyway. Not that that breaks the bank but it's more than a couple of fans attached to an heatsink.
>>
You mean 2 x $249?
>>
>>59621640
It's relevant because contextually it is not always as clear
>>
>>59621690
>Totally negligible when you consider the potential for pump noise.
A d5 or ddc3.2 are far more quiet than any GPU fan. Near silent in fact.
>>
watercooling is literally retarded unless you are running a server farm

>muh temps !!
>muh overclocks !!
>muh side window cleanliness !!
>muh silence

retards

maybe ten years ago when you could get viable gains from overclocking it made sense

now? nah
>>
>>59621730
Yeah, that's what I meant. What a bargain.

>>59621740
Alright man.
>>
>>59621740
My variable speed D5 on setting 2 is lower than ambient noise in the middle of the night with no cars in the streets. Which is arguably totally silent
>>
>>59621753
Ten years ago you were probably 5 years old.
>>59621764
Yes alright.
>>59621765
The d5 is especially quiet.
>>
>>59621731
That's not an issue with the terminology.
>>
>>59621794

lmao guarantee I've been building pc's before you were even in diapers. stay mad because you know I'm right lul
>>
>>59621794
Yes alright, we agree that watercooling is a massive waste of time.
>>
>>59621816
You better drop the attitude kid before I drop you.
>>59621823
Like your life.
>>
>>59621823

he probably invested a shit into expensive aftermarket watercooling for his sick gaymur rig and is now realizing how pointless it all was
>>
File: silver arrow.jpg (19KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
silver arrow.jpg
19KB, 300x300px
>>59621070

It doesn't - this is why backplates exist. My silver arrow has a backplate it screws into so the motherboard takes very little of its weight.

Monster heatsinks on a gpu though, that can (and will) bend the pcb unless you provide additional support. I suggest tobasco sauce bottles.
>>
>>59620024
Why the fuck would you go through all that trouble and not even hook up the GPU to the cooling system?
>>
>>59622107

cause hes a retard who browsed /r/pcmasterrace and thought buying a milk machine in an open acrylic case he saw on display at frys would be really fucking cool

he's a newfag
>>
>needing to watercool your parts
>>
File: 2-1312231I109.jpg (246KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
2-1312231I109.jpg
246KB, 960x720px
>>59621753
This only requires a pump/reservoir and a fan on the vrms.
>>
>>59622168

To be fair with that sort of surface area with a good pump you might be able to cool passively. Then again a pump powerful enough to push that is probably not silent which defeats the point.
>>
What's the best air cooler to upgrade to from the Hyper 212 Evo that's under $100 and will fit in a somewhat constrained mATX case?
>>
>>59621873
>Like your life.
Says the guy spending time bending pipes to shoot food-coloring water through his computer.
>>
>>59616693
I thought the entire point was that you could push clock speeds much higher than with air cooling and still have a stable system

Is that a myth?
>>
>>59622474

you just get lower load temps with water cooling

you can get lower idle temps with air cooling if the ambient is low enough

water cooling in the year 2017 is a meme, theres literally no reason to get it
>>
take the no fan, no pump, /calyos/ pill

cant fucking wait
>>
>>59616070

>trans sisters

I want to meet them, are they cute?
>>
>>59622524

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pNSUKp8ov4
Submerged in a 3M liquid

boils at under 40C
>>
>>59622504
>you just get lower load temps with water cooling
but isn't that the whole point? You can overclock more if you're getting better temps under load,right? I've never touched my clock speeds so I have no clue how any of this works.
I thought overclocking beyond the capability of aircoolers was the only point in a custom loop
>>
>>59622591

Yes that is the point, but overclocking these days has such minimal gain that there is really no point to it.

back in the socket 939 days I overclocked the shit out of my opteron 170 because the gains were real, and because it had the head room to do it so it made sense to

Now, buying a watercooling setup and a 7700k and overclocking it to 5gh to get an extra 10-20 frames in gta v is just retarded

I overclocked my 4790k to 4.8 ghz on air. If I had water maybe I could have gotten 5.0, but why even bother at that point?

processors and gpu's these days are good enough that you don't need to overclock them, at least not an extreme amount that watercooling would call for

watercooling has always been a luxury but now it's just a waste of money unless you REALLY want it, you can get a cheapo corsair kit to reduce noise and temps a little bit but going all out on a huge rad and high cfm fans is just a waste of money.
>>
>>59622644
That makes sense. Hardware has reached capability where overclocking with watercooling capability is not worth the cost.
Thanks for explaining. I didn't know the gains diminished that much. I've been living under a rock with an aircooled card and a closed loop for ages
>>
File: 5.2uncore.jpg (442KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
5.2uncore.jpg
442KB, 1920x1080px
>>59622644

Only 5ghz on water?
>>
Isnt watercooling useful when using two GPUs? Since the top card will have bad airflow
>>
>>59622644
Why do you only care about a crazy oc? Water cooling is much quieter. Idk how many times that needs to be repeated in this thread,
>>
>>59622924
You can mitigate that by getting blower style fans, or at least a blower on the bottom. Or you know, just not fucking getting 2 GPUs because it's kind of a meme. Source: been there, done that.
>>
>>59622946
OC'ing is worth mentioning because the only people that care about spending hundreds of dollars and many setup hours while introducing multiple points of failure to their PC so it can run at 25 dB vs 35 dB have terminal autism.
>>
>>59616693
This guy gets it. I'm building my loop purely for noise. Had one for a couple of years with a big ass passive radiator and the loudest component in the system were the two WD greens I had at the time.

>>59617177
>Do not use for stuff running unattended.
Had my desktop running for three years 24/7 with the same loop, was no problem.
>>
>>59615873
These days watercooling is NECESSARY just to run STOCK without throttling.

1080's be frying eggs now
>>
>>59615781
just kill yourself
>>
>>59623210
Air cooling is loud regardless.
>>
>>59623634

You can passively cool y'know, so air cooling can inherently be quieter than water as water needs a pump which will make some sort of noise.
>>
>>59623727
WRONG

Sound doesn't travel trough water my friend
>>
>>59623727
>passively cool
>gaming pc
Choose 1
>>
File: 1452717560680.jpg (35KB, 593x452px) Image search: [Google]
1452717560680.jpg
35KB, 593x452px
>>59623819

See pic.

>>59623859

You can passively cool 95w tdp cpus (thermalright make a monster heatsink that will do it) and while passively cooling a gpu is much harder its still doable. Then again there was no requirement for it to be a gaming PC and there are passively cooled AIB gpus out there.
>>
>>59623893
Pretty sure OP is talking about a gaming pc.

You're not passively cooling the CPU or the GPU.
>>
>>59624071
>Pretty sure OP is talking about a gaming pc.
Pretty sure OP is a faggot and this entire thread is bait.
>>
>>59624091
That is a possibility.
>>
>>59623819
not inherently related to water cooling but if sound doesn't travel through water, how do whales send "messages" literal hundreds of miles between each other in the ocean?
>>
>>59623322
uh sweetie, thats a gpu

those have had garbage cooling since the 00s as they are limited to a pcie slot. putting a evo on a 1080 drops the temps to 50-60c
>>
>>59624071

>You're not passively cooling the CPU

https://ark.intel.com/products/97129/Intel-Core-i7-7700K-Processor-8M-Cache-up-to-4_50-GHz

> TDP 91 W

http://www.thermalright.de/en/archive/52/le-grand-macho

>Max. TDP (passive cooling) 140 W

So unless an overclocked 7700k doesn't count as a gaming cpu yes, you can, infact, passively cool your cpu.
>>
File: 1488049902624.jpg (447KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
1488049902624.jpg
447KB, 950x950px
>>59624215
>80-90c
>acceptable
>>
>>59624269

According to Intel it is - the chip is rated to run that hot. Alternatively, buy a 1700 with its 65w tdp and slap that cooler on it and enjoy significantly lower temps.
>>
>>59624322
>just gimp the CPU
k
>>
>>59624269
>my standards are better than the manufacturers
It does not work like that kid. Chips are rated to 120c and most cut outs trigger at 90
>>
>>59624269

that's what they're designed to run at
>>
File: 1484284325160.gif (3MB, 480x360px)
1484284325160.gif
3MB, 480x360px
>>59624341
>max temp = normal operating temp
>>
>>59623819
actually water is much better at conducting sound than air.
>>
>>59618456
???
>>
>>59624405

90c and below is normal operating temperature.
>>
>>59624405
Tech illiterate retard status:
>detected
>>
>>59615781
A custom loop is noticeably better than air cooling, but those AIO loops aren't any better than the best air coolers. It is about 3x more expensive than a fancy air cooler for a decent DIY loop.

Anyway, it's not necessary, more of a project you do for fun. If you think it would be fun to build one and have the cash, go for it.
>>
File: 1485837437834.jpg (133KB, 529x386px) Image search: [Google]
1485837437834.jpg
133KB, 529x386px
>>59624446
>>59624452
It's ok guys! We're only 1c from thermal shutdown!!!
>>
Water Cooling will always be better at taking away heat quickly, no matter how good your air cooling is. Specially that you can exhaust the heat directly out from the case or outside of the case.
>>
>>59620611
Please explain how my loop >>59616693 is only for sure? Please explain how I gave up any performance for looks
>>
>>59625507
Right angles everywhere. Bubbles.
>>
>>59625686
Bubbles come out of the loop in like 30 minutes of running. You are retarded
>>
>>59625729
k
Thread posts: 183
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.