[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>You do not live in an era where computer programs are wr

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 20160603junkuma.png (1MB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
20160603junkuma.png
1MB, 720x720px
>You do not live in an era where computer programs are written efficiently by necessity
>You live in an era where the only truly intelligent programmers write exploits on shitty pajeet programs for the government or criminals
>You will never be Mel Kaye
>The guy who wrote this has been dead for 3 years

http://catb.org/jargon/html/story-of-mel.html

pic unrelated
>>
>>59609890
what a great story! Thanks for the share anon!
>>
I share this feeling.
It's frustrating how unbelievably complex, unwieldy, inefficient, bloated, insecure, and pajeet ridden the industry is.
It feels like there is nothing done right anymore, everything everywhere is fucking wrong.
It seems like the only worthwhile field of programming is in embedded programming or something like that, everything else is just screaming FEATURES!
>>
computer software is so fundamentally flawed it hurts me
>>
>>59612190
>It's frustrating how unbelievably complex, unwieldy, inefficient, bloated, insecure, and pajeet ridden the industry is.
I think this stems from 2 developments that really only came since the 80s.

One, recently our hardware is so powerful that there's no complete necessity to have beautiful, efficient code. Example: a GTX 1080 is about as powerful as the most powerful supercomputer on the planet 19 years ago. In '96, it took a supercomputer to beat a Chess grandmaster. You needed a very efficient, very intelligently-coded chess program to play an average player on chess. Nowadays, the program can be a fucking mess and it could still tool Magnus Carlsen crazy-style.
Two, proprietary software and monopolies. Take Micro$oft, for example: MS has a stranglehold on 90% of the computing OS market, and many programs that some businesses need only exist on Windows. They have license to do a terrible job and people have to put up with M$'s shit, because the current state of IP law allows them to completely monopolize huge sectors of the tech market, and no one else even has access to the source code to improve on it and make some competition for them. It's hard to make a product no one can improve or compete with; it's easier to just legally disallow them from improving or competing with it.
>>
>>59613717
I've thought about this before.
A scarcity of computing power made it necessary to be as efficient as possible in the past.
Nowadays there is no incentive to build efficient code because there is hardly a scarcity of power. So we only get shitty code.

The only way I see this changing is if scarcity becomes an issue again, and we hit a ceiling in computing technology.
IE: The death of Moore's law.

>fixed amount of computing power available
>computing demands still growing
how to resolve this?
>build more efficient code
>>
>>59613717

You can do anything on your gay men GPU

quit your bitching and do a fractal
>>
>>59614551
>>
install openbsd and suckless' software on old hardware. meme yourself into the reality you desire >>59613717

powerful PCs are a normalfag meme
>>
>>59609890
I like how it idolizes the idea to create unmaintainable programs. It's like he wanted the company to go bankrupt.
Moral of the story: Fuck up the codebase, so others can't read it, and you will be irreplacable.
>>
>>59612190
Programmers have too much power over product design these days.

In Firefox's case:
>"Surely the user will understand why their extensions stop working! We wrote those blog posts and they got so many upboats on X!"
No.
>>
>>59616194
The pajeet's do the same, except for the part of it actually working or being fast
But yeah, unreadable optimized code is an awful idea
>>
>>59609890
fwiw, Fortran is pretty cool.

I got a big ol training package from a contact, but I haven't sat down and gone through it. I'm thinking I'll have time this summer. It's always worth stretching the ol' neurons by learning a new programming language.

>>59613916
>only get shitty code

There is good code out there, but you need to actually be working in a field where that matters. I'm sorry that you are stuck in the swamp.

>>59616194
That reminds me of how different my coding style looked compared to a coworkers on a project a while back. I had to patch in some features to a tornado server loop and it was visually obvious what was mine and what was his.
>>
the reality is that tech is now a meme industry where no real power resides anymore which is why the floodgates have been opened to allow in pajeets, women, trannies etc

the reason why standards are in decline is that there is no real reason to maintain them, the entire industry is now an exercise in keeping up appearances which is why there's an effort to drive down labour costs

the reason why people like women have largely been excluded is because of sexist (not necessarily incorrect) attitudes believing that women can't be trusted with power, the reason they can now be trusted with programing is because there's no power in it

this is the same with all major progress in our time, consider women's overtaking men in university degrees. i can't help but notice that when women overtook men, degrees have never been worth less

also decent read related to this:

http://theblondbeast.com/social-criticism/a-criticism-of-project-include-and-their-7-point-agenda/
>>
>>59609890
That's why I want to go embedded.
>>
File: 1452421170933.jpg (225KB, 640x439px) Image search: [Google]
1452421170933.jpg
225KB, 640x439px
>>59609890
Ugly solutions will, sooner or later, require a different solution because people will get tired of them.

Same as shitty products of all kind. It creates the need for the workforce.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this seems to me is how capitalism looks like nowadays.
>>
File: 1490590757970.jpg (54KB, 740x532px) Image search: [Google]
1490590757970.jpg
54KB, 740x532px
I wonder if /g/ would be willing to pay $2000 for a text-only screen with 10MB of storage as well as a 40 byte/s modem in order to live in this future.
>>
>>59616673
Sad truth? I probably would. This is how trash so much of computing is these days.
>>
>muh safe space
We hired a white computer science major once. His first week he made a really weird comment about a female employee's appearance (long story but it didn't endear him to the women in the office) and after 15 days he was still showing no signs of being able work independently even in the slightest, we literally had to give him explicit instructions on everything and if he didn't have everything spelled out he just sat there staring at the screen. One of the department heads thought he was just socially awkward so we had an english major babysitting him and he seemed to think that guy was going to be his little helper despite 7 years more coding experience. It wasn't awkwardness he just wasn't very bright.

He was let go before his probation ended and we haven't repeated that mistake.
>>
>>59617225
This is what a lot of people can't see
The good white CS grads are already taken into research or top positions, you are left with drooling retards that make the pajeets look bright in comparison
There's also bright pajeets, but most of them stay in their country doing research or have their own companies over there, with really few ending in top positions in american companies
>>
>>59617297
Maybe that's the issue. I've been very happy with the Pajeets I've worked with here in the US, they're smart, motivated, and actually seem to come from educated cosmopolitan backgrounds. I can talk to them about non-work stuff and they have interesting things to say. Is this what they call "brain drain"? If so let's keep it up.

I've worked with some awful, useless Pajeets abroad, particularly in the Middle East, but from the ones I meet in the West (and Singapore) they seem like the kind of people we need more of. I'd take 1 of them over 10 spergy, sweaty white guys with fresh CS degrees, that's for damm sure.
>>
>>59617364
>If so let's keep it up.
Do you have any idea what you had just approved?
>>
>>59612190
>embedded programming
but anons said this field was serious headache
>>
>>59617634
>Do you have any idea what you had just approved?
Yes, Sorry about your career spergy, sweaty white guy. You weren't entitled after all.
>>
>>59617769
It really isn't, most of the thinking on efficiency has already been done for you, from the days where efficiency mattered for all applications. Pick up some books on embedded programming, look up for the status quo of hacking in the 80s, where a 386 processor was the cutting edge, and you'll be mostly golden.
>>
>>59617779
t. entitled white guy who pretends he doesn't just hire top indian talent because they can perpetually wave the visa card whenever the indian asks for a bigger salary
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.