[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So what's the opinion here on old receivers vs. new? The

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 149
Thread images: 27

File: maxresdefaultxx.jpg (142KB, 1859x1045px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefaultxx.jpg
142KB, 1859x1045px
So what's the opinion here on old receivers vs. new? The price/availability of the old are very subject- it's easy to find a old receivers that go for a lot on ebay for next to nothing on classifieds/goodwill. Then there's the new receivers that retail absurdly and the used market people are all over the place.

Personally im not one to need a million things hooked up at once or a lot of the other features that the new offer, and i don't think I'm alone there. Like realistically how many people are going to own a full 5.1 and how much of the audio people listen to on a daily basis just stereo anyways?

I feel like for average audio consumption a 70's receiver with a set of paradigm/jbl speakers can do better than a lot of the powered monitors and desktop speakers i see a lot of people here have for less.
>>
>>59605109
They can be good but like all old tech suffer from degrading components. Really the only reason to consider them is the complete lack of modern quality receivers.
>>
They've gotten kind of fashionable in the last few years so the values on the good ones are outrageous and the cheap ones are not really any better or cheaper than something with a warranty from say Parts Express. Plus they tend to be ginormous and have way too many knobs and terminals on the back. Too much to go wrong. In before "I bought one and it turned out fine", the idea of ripping open a chassis and spraying contact cleaner everywhere and replacing a bunch of leaky old caps is not my idea of time well spent. I could be shitposting on 4chan.
>>
>>59605136
>the complete lack of modern quality receivers
Ha ha ha. No.
>>
>>59605154
Look at this dumb kid thinking his made in China shit is good. Oh the dumb and ignorant have flooded this board.
>>
>>59605166
>what is japan
>>
>>59605166
You think a receiver is more complex than your made in china facebook machine?
>>
>>59605185
List an example, bucko.
>>
>>59605229
What does complexity have to do with anything?
>>
File: banner big lebowski.jpg (136KB, 615x300px) Image search: [Google]
banner big lebowski.jpg
136KB, 615x300px
>>59605141
so you buy one serviced or get it done by someone yourself. "too many knobs and terminals on the back" you mean the 2 speaker outs, and 3 rca inputs? yeah its a clusterfuck alright. the new ones have twice the ports and shit to go wrong i literally don't know how to take your comment it's so contradictory.
>>
File: 5645-6.jpg (285KB, 960x536px) Image search: [Google]
5645-6.jpg
285KB, 960x536px
>>59605244
Complexity = more possible ways to fail. If possible failures are not your concern, what is?
>>59605261
>buy one serviced
Lol, no. Why the fuck would anyone do that other than crippling autism?
>"too many knobs and terminals on the back" you mean the 2 speaker outs, and 3 rca inputs?
No I mean pic related
>>
>>59605320
>more possible ways to fail. If possible failures are not your concern, what is?
Quality? Are you 12 or not a native speaker or something?
>>
File: AVR4308LARGEback.jpg (239KB, 1200x530px) Image search: [Google]
AVR4308LARGEback.jpg
239KB, 1200x530px
>>59605320
nothing has changed there
>>
File: Cambridge_Audio_351Ab.jpg (12KB, 450x146px) Image search: [Google]
Cambridge_Audio_351Ab.jpg
12KB, 450x146px
>>59605342
>Quality?
Please define that
>Are you 12 or not a native speaker or something?
I'm 39 and I speak English just fine. You are being intentionally obtuse because you have superstitious beliefs about audio that you can't back up
>>59605381
Yes, we have options now. All I see on the vintage market are abominations like this >>59605320
>>
>>59605419
>You are being intentionally obtuse
Now I know you're fucking retarded or not a native speaker. Either that or underage.
What I said is perfectly clear and needs no definition. I'm not lowering the base level of competence on the topic for this discussion just because you're an idiot. Sorry this isn't your reddit hugbox and I'm not some spoon feeding retard.
>>
>>59605481
Or, in other words, muh feelings

Thanks for clearing that up
>>
>>59605503
Quality is objectively measured in electronics. Sorry you can't meme your way out, kiddo.
>>
>>59605533
"Muh feelings" is not an objective measurement. What *measurable* characteristic of your crackly dumpster dive special is better than a modern high quality integrated? Certainly not THD or SNR, so it must be "muh feelings".

In before "but I was comparing a 1979 McIntosh amp that cost over $5000 in today's money to a $120 Sony 12-channel AV receiver from walmart"
>>
It depends a bit if you can get something from before cost engineering was a big deal. This why 80s stuff should be largely considered junk.

Older isn't better (its got wear and degradation on it) but sometimes over-engineered is.
>>
>>59605926
The "over engineering" is just a manufacturing relic from the days when they didn't have stuff like SMT boards

Everything was bigger, and therefore everything was heavier, and therefore everything that supported the functional parts had to be 5x stronger because otherwise something inside would crack from routine handling

The old stuff that was truly garbage back in the day ended up in landfills, and the same is true of the garbage sold today. On the other hand future neckbeards will be arguing that their vintage Bryston B135 is proof that they stopped making nice things in 2017
>>
>>59605733
>I can't read
That's been established.
>>
>>59606383
>muh feelings
>>
>>59606417
Maybe try a danker mayamy that you kids love. In example one of the following:
cuck
t.
ourguy

Or you can trying a reaction image. Reddit has many that popular these days. "Pepe" is usually considered a good choice and there's many versions.
>>
File: $_3.jpg (30KB, 800x536px) Image search: [Google]
$_3.jpg
30KB, 800x536px
Have this cutie pie. (Not my picture, google pulled an ebay listing that looks like shit)

Very comfy and reliable, don't possibly need much else but the radio and aux cord.

Disregard the buttdevestated autismdad above, old recievers are comfy as fuck.
>>
>>59606474
I like how you've completely given up on defending your crackly dumpster dive specials and you've resorted to character assassination
>>
>>59606658
Nothing to defend. My point was made and is sound.
>>
>>59606531
>Very comfy
>old recievers are comfy
Oh look, this completely meaningless fucking word again.
>>
>>59606907
You made your point, yes. Crackly dumpster dived gear is so good it's got some unmeasurable advantage that can't be discussed without resorting to the following: calling the other person a child, asking if the other person doesn't speak English, calling them a memester, and insinuating that they must be a member of the alt-right.

Great argument!
>>
>>59606658
kek.
>>
>>59606993
You really convinced me with those hot opinions.
>>
>>59605109
If you're good at electronics, go for the vintage gear. It's easily serviceable and built very well.

I've completely given up on new chinese made shit. Complexity doesn't matter. I've had everything from dvd players die to fans literally catching fire, but all of my vintage stuff (some of which is over a half-century old) are all going strong.
>>
>>59605185
>Japan

You do know most of Pioneers stuff is produced in Mudlaysia these days

Just saying.
>>
>>59609317
>I've had everything from dvd players die to fans literally catching fire
What in the actual fuck

What brands are you people buying?
>>
>>59609331
So is most Seiko stuff but that doesn't stop the neckbeards around here from jacking off over it
>>
>>59609358
panasonic and lasko

funny enough my 20 year old sony dvd player and my 30 year old lakewood fan are both working fine
>>
>>59609331
Still better than China
>>
>>59609697
Lasko makes audio gear?
>>
>>59609821
I said my fan caught fire, not my audio gear
>>
Do older receivers sound better than modern machines?
Generally, no.
Components age (particularly caps) and wear out. They also usually have more hiss, and less channel separation.
My best Vintage receiver is my Yamaha CR-1040, which was a decent machine back in it's day, won't keep up with my current home theater receiver, a Yamaha HTR 6050, which itself is already several years old.
>>
>>59609924
forgot to add...
But the older ones just look fucking cool. Something about watching needles move around to the music, the solid clunk of the switches and selectors, and that tuning dial that has a 1/2 pound flywheel attached to it.
>>
>>59605320

Is that too much for you to handle hahaha

git gud scrub
>>
File: IMG_0110.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0110.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
I love my vintage audio junk. It's so pretty. With enough patience you'll find an old amp or receiver for pretty cheap. Pic related is a Kenwood ka 3500 I picked up for $30 because the right channel would cut in and out randomly. Just needed a little contact cleaner and it's good to go.
Below you can see my pioneer sx1000tw. Got it for $50 at a swap meet and it's immaculate.

I also own a newer Marantz 7.1 and an almost brand new Yamaha 5.1 receiver. There's not really any audible difference between any of them save for sound floor. The older units likely have leaky transistors and caps and resistors that have drifted well out of spec. It's nothing major with speakers, but can be headache inducing with headphones.
>>
>>59610031
>having to hunt through 10 different input selectors with irrelevant names just to find one of the two things you plugged into the back of the receiver is "comfy"
>mommy look! it even says tape deck! I bet those were neat!
Millennials were a mistake
>>
File: Topping TP60.jpg (89KB, 1000x764px) Image search: [Google]
Topping TP60.jpg
89KB, 1000x764px
Home theater receiver too intimidating?
Tri-path this.
It has a power button, volume dial, and a selector for the A or B input.
>>
>>59605109
Some are shit, some are good. Same for modern ones.
>>
I have two Pioneer integrated amps from the 70's and one Marantz from the same era. Whether you like old hardware is just matter of preference.

Technically, an amplifier's job is only to amplify sound. Modern receivers do a very good job of doing this with minimal distortion. Older receivers from the 1970's do have a bit of distortion. But because of the amplifier design, that distortion is typically very smooth and pleasant sounding. Distortion from a modern class D amp is not so pleasant.

No matter how you look at it, vintage hardware is a novelty and a hobby. Unless you spend tons of money, anything you buy is going to require, at a bare minimum, opening the unit up and spending lots of time spraying Deoxit into the knobs. All of my receivers needed capacitors replaced and one of them had a bad relay which caused the audio to cut out.

The novelty is having a beautiful 40+ year old receiver connected to a 40+ year old turntable, admiring the beauty of the hardware, and listening to that sweet distortion. In my opinion that stuff sits in a room separate from your living room Denon or Yamaha setup. For casual movie watching or whatever, you use the living room system.
>>
>>59610193
I bought a tripath amp out of morbid curiosity, as expected it's a piece of shit, I gave it to my coworker

Maybe if you poorfags actually tried buying something nice for once you wouldn't be laboring under the erroneous impression that "they" stopped making good gear in 1967
>>
>>59605109
Funny enough I actually found a 6.1 receiver at a second hand store for like $35-40.
>>
>>59606972
That wasn't very comfy of you anon.
>>
>>59610276
Mine sounds fine and hasn't had a problem. Too sad for you.
I also have a Yamaha B1 power amp, if that's any indication of what my budget constraints are.
>>
New stuff is better. The few gems aren't worth the price they demand.

Like a chip amp, class d, etc will all produce far better sound than any vintage amp.

That said the worst part of most audio systems is the speakers. Good speakers are expensive and vintage speakers are fucking shit. Computer modelling did wonders for speakers.
>>
>>59610376
>Mine sounds fine and hasn't had a problem
Probably because your ears are broken or you're one of those intolerable "horn loaded" fags. Which means your ears are broken.
>I also have a Yamaha B1 power amp, if that's any indication of what my budget constraints are.
A dumpster dived amp? So, basically, zero?
>>
>>59605109
I used to buy vintage gear and to tell you the truth if you don't plan to recap/service them they can actually be quite risky to use. I had a old pioneer receiver blow a cap on the output stage and it took out one of my b&w speakers. That being said they are relatively simple and anyone with basic electronics knowledge would be able to service them with schematics being widely available for most of them. I just tend to stick with new equipment now its expensive to buy good gear yeah but I like having the peace of mind.
>>
>>59610449
Dumpster dive amp?
You're a retarded know-nothing know-it-all if that's what you figure.
And I suppose the paradigm titans I have hooked up to the topping are shit too.
>>
>>59610515

Dude paradigm Titans aren't great speakers..... Certainly nothing to brag about.....
>>
>>59605733
You are already wasting your time when you are responding to any "muh feeling" shit. Audio losers, hardware faggots who insist emulators are bad, etc are just using this as an excuse, because they don't know what to say.

Thanks to the hipster movement, people today honestly think finding some thrown away garbage in a dumpster is better than buying something new and modern because it's "unique". It also sounds "unique" (shit). You could replicate this by buying something new, throwing it off a building or two, then leaving it in a dumpster and "finding" it a week later. It would at that point sound "unique".

You cannot argue with someone who is using feeling words like "unique", "warm", "shit", etc because there is not ever a way to PROVE that it makes them feel that way.

"It's better" = wrong
"I pretend it's better" = Absolutely right, keyword being PRETEND.

Thankfully the free market solves this problem as regardless how hard audio shits cry at you here, they're dropping thousands overall on their "setup".

time to go start a business where I buy new audio hardware, temporarily remove the outside housing, beat it to shit and back, then sell it at 1000% and call it some weird modern retro unique piece art example so that when it shows up it actually does destroy all the other hipster shit in their retarded collection
>>
>>59610515
>muh craigslist find
Looks like we've got a connoisseur here
>>
>>59610584

> Buy / find shit retro amp for next to nothing
> Empty components, maybe save transformer, put in $30 class d from china
> Sell for big dollars because it doesn't sound like shit but looks retro
>>
File: itcds-5000-1.jpg (20KB, 440x440px) Image search: [Google]
itcds-5000-1.jpg
20KB, 440x440px
>>59610696
Not a bad idea, but Walmart already sells them.
>>
>>59609863
I had to wipe for like 3 minutes this morning after taking a shit. Something didn't digest right. Oh were we talking about audio gear? Sorry! I thought this was the "random irrelevant personal anecdotes" thread =^)
>>
>>59610737
Speakers need more wood grain, but I bet they sound just as "comfy" as a crackling dumpster find
>>
>>59610737
>>59610696
Expanding on this idea:

Make up some retroshit sounding name. Make it german or european. submit names, just for now it will be scamgear.

-Make up fake wikipedia edgelord articles on how scamgear was the greatest holiest of holy audiofaggot gear to get, but some bullshit about how the factory burned down and everyone died etc.

-Pay people to shill to say they "heard about stories" in audiofaggot forums, provide unique pictures of ripped apart plastic/metal that has scamgear logo on it

-Run around to popular cities where audio shits reside and secretly deposit same metal scrap scamgear logos on it, put price logo on it and deposit in thrift stores where audioshits live, wait for audioshits to find one and flip shit

-Make huge forum post about OMG FOUND SECRET STASH OF SCAMGEAR IN ABANDONED WAREHOUSE

-Get regular audio equipment and do said method of just making it look like shit but modern internals with scraped up scamgear logo

time to retire
>>
File: 1060.jpg (84KB, 900x588px) Image search: [Google]
1060.jpg
84KB, 900x588px
>>59605109
>it's easy to find a old receivers that go for a lot on ebay for next to nothing on classifieds/goodwill

No it isn't. It's next to impossible. Two things would need to happen... 1, you have to live in a place where people are donating them and 2, the thrift stores would have to price them super cheap. Most people have neither of those things, let alone both.
>>
File: crosley crapomatic.jpg (41KB, 334x334px) Image search: [Google]
crosley crapomatic.jpg
41KB, 334x334px
>>59610791
And there's also these fucking abortions.
Might actually be better off dumpster diving.
>>
>>59610819
Just requires a white van.
Oy, wanna buy some speakas?
>>
>>59605320
is this a joke post? how is that little pioneer complex? how is servicing a piece of high-quality vintage audio "crippling autism"? you'd rather throw it out and buy something cheap and new that won't last?
>>
>>59610737

Yeah but it doesn't look shitty enough. It doesn't have that 'sat in dad's garage collecting dust for two decades ' look.

It need character.

>>59610819

That's a lot of effort Anon. People will just see Sears logo on it and be sold. If you want to scam audiophools make some cat 5 braided speaker cables or interconnects. Put a piece of wood on each end for balance/high frequency harmonics.
>>
>>59610828

I have amp on pic, it's shit.
>>
>>59610819
Needs a bit more of the "lost factory-working American dream" and vaguely racist insinuations about Asian countries

Also cheesy ad copy that tries to sound like simplistic cold war ad copy, golly gee and such. It's perceived as "more honest"
>>
>>59610893
And epoxy a few magic gems to it too. Really sell it.
>>
>>59610887
No, I'd rather buy something expensive and new that will last, because I'm not a delusional ignoramus who thinks that the only place to buy audio gear is fucking Walmart
>>
File: jellyfags.jpg (186KB, 1600x1006px) Image search: [Google]
jellyfags.jpg
186KB, 1600x1006px
>>59610213
this guy gets it
>>
>>59610918

I know we joking but you literally can do exactly this. Get some cheap ass cat 5 braided it and put something that makes it look nice like wood and sell it for big dollars.

Get some cat 5 and put sleeving on it, get a nice rj45 connector with metal on it. Audiophile network cable. I mean realistically you can probably get $50 for $5 of materials. More if you want to wait for the right buyer.

Cable sleeving and shit makes stuff audiophile. Buy that shit from China
>>
>>59605320
>Buying one serviced is autistic
Holy shit nigger what are you smoking?
>>
File: 20170326_205101_HDR.jpg (3MB, 4160x3120px) Image search: [Google]
20170326_205101_HDR.jpg
3MB, 4160x3120px
Picked up this bad bitch for 15 dingalings at value village, after a polish shes sparkling
>>
>>59611005

It's kinda dumb because unless it's one of the gems that probably costs a few thousand, you're just paying a premium for something that won't sound as good as a okay class d.

If you have nostalgic value for a amp maybe paying to have it serviced makes sense but replacing some pots and caps isn't exactly brain surgery
>>
>>59611043
>ANRS

is that their version of dolby?
>>
>>59611043

You just made $250 Anon. Congratulations
>>
>>59607132
why is it always the dumbest/saddest people who never stop replying
>>
>>59611111

Digits confirm
>>
>>59610893
>>59610910
>>59610865
Okay actually this is a good idea. Build on an existing audiofaggot brand. Just say it was some lost model that was never sold in stores but is super duper good.
>>
>>59611181

I dunno if you even need to do that. Just make up a brand.

Redisgold audio
Douglas James
Sven Roxie
Adfg
Jkol
Pkm

It's easy to make up names
>>
whats with the angry children in this thread
>>
>>59611181
That is the essence of the white van speaker scam.
Cheap, barely functioning Chinese electronics, built to the absolute lowest price possible. Then branded with a name very similar to an established brand and sold for many times what it's worth.
The guy selling it will usually have some story about how the equipment was from an overage or a mis-order, and they're trying to sell it off "cheap" to recoup losses.
It's usually sold out of the back of a rented van or truck. By the time the customer realizes they've been rooked, the seller is long gone.
Worst part, it's sort of legal to do.
That said, you deserve what you get if you're dumb enough to buy your home stereo out of the back of a van in a parking lot somewhere.
>>
>>59611335

You're stupid to buy audio stuff without listening to it first.
>>
File: a.jpg (25KB, 378x283px) Image search: [Google]
a.jpg
25KB, 378x283px
I'm biased but I'd rather have vintage gear I repaired or something I designed from scratch, myself.

A lot of the stuff available now is not all that great. Sure, maybe specs on paper are better for some newer stuff but how long will it last? And if it does break it's a lot more annoying having to deal with surface mount components and custom ICs. Anything I make can be as ridiculously over-engineered as I want and I have choice in what goes into it. I have an amp I built 12 years ago and it's still going no problems.

However repairing / renovating sitting gear can cost money if you use good parts and it can be a ton of work. I redid a 1959 Altec 353A and it cost me about $400 all said and done, well worth it though because it sounds amazing and was made in the USA with quality parts, plus 35WPC is plenty with decent speakers. It'll last another 30 with the only thing I'll need to do is maybe replace the power tubes.
>>
>>59611366
>>59611335
It could go either way. Remember that we are talking about a community which duped itself into believing that the rca PS1 is some sort of lordly device. I assume that's a scam as well.
>>
>>59605109

get both... a vintage 2ch set-up (including speakers from same time frame) for LP's and a modern one with modern speakers for modern digital sources (and avr uses, if you choose).

You should also get a desktop set-up too, for speakers and headphones.
>>
>>59611088
It's compatible to dolby b but not as good as c
>>
>>59611458

Well the PS1 did have a good DAC for the time, it's not worth the sillyness that goes on these days but when it came out it was pretty decent. It's like how the ps2 was a pretty kickass DVD player.

>>59611407

Smd stuff doesn't tend to break that often. The stuff that does break is usually through hole. Smd Ics are also pretty easy to replace (with the exception of bga but audio stuff doesn't use that really)

I mean you're missing out with the class d stuff coming out these days. Take a look at what's out there it's pretty incredible. Smd isn't so scary either, getting pcbs fabbed is dirt cheap, stencils are cheap, and reflow is easy to do. (Most stuff is easy to hand solder though, watch some YouTube videos)
>>
File: Forced_Oscillation_1968.png (181KB, 501x570px) Image search: [Google]
Forced_Oscillation_1968.png
181KB, 501x570px
>>59610584
>free market
Just as romantic as the hipsters.

That said, don't spend too much on an amplifier/receiver. Particularly a receiver. It's just a radio and radio circuitry gets noticeably funky first. If you're concerned about audio quality then radio is not for you anyway.

Get vintage solid state stuff cheap and free and enjoy it while it lasts. When it gives up then give it to a tech or try your hand at fixing it. Some of the stuff is nice to look at, good design etc.

The things that really make a difference are speakers and your room. Doesn't have to look nice or be super expensive. Look into eq's and crossovers. Electrolyic crossover capacitors go bad.

Lots of fun to be had and you don't have to spend a whole lot or any at all.

The vintage tube stuff can be dangerous. High voltages at high amperage and a lot of it is two prong (without the wide plug) and not even transformer isolated. They can be worked on but unless you grew up around tubes in t.v.'s and high voltage circuits it's best to avoid. They can sound pretty neat. You never ever see tube power amps in the control booth in recording studios. Always solid state. That tells you something about the accuracy of tube circuits. Tubes make a nice sound but not an accurate sound without a lot of effort and expense.
>>
People might say that they're shit, but they're just fags who buy shitty AV receivers, lepais and memey headphone amps.

Old ones are usually over priced as fuck though, even though most are in working condition. You can still find a few less popular under the radar brands for cheap if you're patient.
>>
>>59611884

Or just buy a $100 class d that sounds better than 99% of vintage shit.
>>
File: garfen.jpg (53KB, 385x309px) Image search: [Google]
garfen.jpg
53KB, 385x309px
>all these millennials calling eachother millennials
>>
File: cats.jpg (48KB, 500x428px) Image search: [Google]
cats.jpg
48KB, 500x428px
>>59610584
>>59610696
>>59610737
>>59610819
>>59611335

The only problem is that you are selling dogshit. People don't go out and buy "new-retro" crosley-style shit. Especially audiophiles.

This whole thing is appealing to two kinds of people. Retarded 50-somethings at walmart, and the 20-something liberal arts hipster girls on tumblr because "omg so retro eeeeek"
>>
>>59611899
Yeah, overrated and memey :^)
>>
>>59610584
>all this audiophile infighting

I'm soo sorry I have a vintage PIoneer and not the latest and greatest high end tech from fry's

It fits my needs, works perfectly, sounds great, and was only $10

Get triggered ;^)
>>
>>59605236
Not that anon, but high end Denons.
>>
AM is no longer necesari but this works great
>>
File: Hi-Fi TV combo - 1964 Admiral.jpg (221KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Hi-Fi TV combo - 1964 Admiral.jpg
221KB, 1600x1200px
>not using glorious vacuum tube technology
plebs
>>
>>59613208
That's likely just final assembly and only on their absolute TOTL audiofool tier shit. I'd bet good money the circuit board is still produced and assembled in china and the majority of I/O and HMI shit are jellybean parts/daughter boards.

Fun fact: a couple years ago, really high end Pioneer, Onkyo, and I believe Yamaha (all separate companies) receivers suffered a nearly identical defect. The cause was an overheating microprocessor causing the board to warp below it and its pins to break free. They all used the exact same chip and nearly identical daughterboards from a third party. Here's some fag from /diy/ fixing one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2gfM3eKk0tQ
>>
File: IMG_0169.gif (201KB, 775x275px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0169.gif
201KB, 775x275px
>>59610972
A E S T H E T I C AF/10

I love the way old Japanese electronics looked. It's the subtleties that set em apart, details like detents in the pots, shape of knobs and switches, meters etc. even something as minuscule as the front facia material and finish has considerable attention put towards it. Things like brushing pattern, use of alloys to alter depth and reflection, various finishing sealants to alter sheen. All stuff you can't appreciate unless seen in person.

My personal treasure. I could watch this thing for hours.
>>
>>59611604
Nigga SMD vs through hole is a meaningless comparison. They're the same shit in different packages. The reality is so little assembly is done by hand anymore, the majority of quality components are made SMD because that's what's used most now. You can still get high quality through hole stuff, there's just less selection. Discrete BJT transistors are still largely through hole due to packaging constraints. Pop open a modern amp sometime, although these days they tend to be IC's that include biasing topology for a darlington pair.

I will say this, however: vintage stuff is not free of custom IC fuckery. The worst offenders being protection IC's. Many survice manuals don't even offer basic function and pinout diagrams, and when they go they might be impossible to replace. Sanyo darlington power packs are nearly as bad. They were infamous for poor reliability even in their hay day and genuine NOS replacements are unicorn rare.
>>
>>59613573
post more oscilloscopes
>>
>>59610972
>the human league
my mom called and says she wants her record back.

lovely setup though.
>>
>>59605109
Best receiver on the market for analog FM broadcast is the Sony XDR-F1HD.

http://www.ham-radio.com/k6sti/xdr-f1hd.htm
>>
File: IMG_0361.jpg (32KB, 610x253px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0361.jpg
32KB, 610x253px
>>59614214
Here's probably the cheapest ready made O-scope visualizer you can buy.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MdUcQmuLrfA

I actually own one of the newer revised versions and it's quite nice. Refresh rate of the screen seems 60hz or more, and the sample rate is far superior to the one used in OG windows mediaplayer. There's also this one floating around usually for a bit cheaper:
http://sch-remote.com/Color-LCD-touchscreen-VU-meter---Oscilloscope---Real-time-analyzer---Envelope---Goniometer-PID-EVOR04.php

O scopes were actually somewhat common on TOTL receivers for a period. Crazy rare though. The one I posted is just a novelty standalone that fetched the equivalent of a few grand new. If you ever see one in the wild, snatch it up. Even parts units go for north of $500 on ebay.

Here's a really cool one:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkCIdufSGS8
>>
File: tips.jpg (206KB, 1401x918px) Image search: [Google]
tips.jpg
206KB, 1401x918px
>>59612144
>This whole thing is appealing to two kinds of people. Retarded 50-somethings at walmart, and the 20-something liberal arts hipster girls on tumblr because "omg so retro eeeeek"
You forgot all the 20something NEETs on /g/ who jack off over their dumpster "finds" because "I was born in the wrong decade"
>>
>>59613573
>I love the way old Japanese electronics looked
>replied to a 1970s-1980s Marantz setup

What did he mean by this?
>>
>>59618261
>1966 Beginning with the Model 25, and then 22 and 28, Marantz starts manufacturing its products in Japan through a partnership with Standard Radio Corp.

Source https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marantz

People forget Japan was exactly like China is now in those days. Countless companies shifted operations, or at least production, over there for cheap labor, lower taxes, and lower regulation.
>>
This thread sure is full of complete utter morons who kind of missed the point

>Go to goodwill or whatever pick up some proper functioning receiver and speakers for 10 USD, get relatively nice sounding setup
>Alternatively go buy some overpriced china logitech rubbish for 120usd that sounds awful and is more expensive

Gee I wonder what i'd do if I was on a tight budget.
>>
>>59617113
I don't understand the derision towards this image.

The guy is obviously wearing a red fedora as a nod to RHEL
>>
>>59618324

Those were not designed by the japanese, the best definition of the japanese design would be the beginning of the age of plastic
>>
>>59618333
How about "go on CL and buy a 10 year old Adcom or NAD 2 channel amp for $100 that sounds better than both the 40 year old distortion radiator and the $120 surround sound logitech shitbox"

You sound like the kind of person who would actually buy a 1970s Detroit luxo-barge and argue that "it's better than a new car because it uses more gas and I paid a guy $30,000 to tear it down completely and replace everything that was slightly worn"
>>
>>59618333
Finding a good receiver from the late 70's at a thrift shop is harder than it sounds. I mean it does happen but it takes a lot of persistence and luck. And that's assuming that the shop isn't run by some asshole who looks up prices on Ebay. 9 out of 10 times you'll find some black plastic garbage from the 80's or 90's.
>>
>>59618391
>Finding a good receiver from the

You seem to have the mistaken impression that these people know what a good receiver is. They just think "good = old" or "good = never touched by yellow people"
>>
>>59618372
>40 year old distortion radiator
>How about "go on CL and buy a 10 year old Adcom or NAD 2 channel amp for $100

You can get early 2000s Yamaha's,Pioneers etc for 10USD if you look around.

>You sound like the kind of person who would actually buy a 1970s Detroit luxo-barge and argue that "it's better than a new car because it uses more gas and I paid a guy $30,000 to tear it down completely and replace everything that was slightly worn"

Nah id get a workhorse beater like the Volvo 740.
>>
File: c17992941c91a671e13fa3a4112ea3e0.jpg (601KB, 2000x1311px) Image search: [Google]
c17992941c91a671e13fa3a4112ea3e0.jpg
601KB, 2000x1311px
>>59605109

>I feel like for average audio consumption a 70's receiver with a set of paradigm/jbl speakers can do better than a lot of the powered monitors and desktop speakers i see a lot of people here have for less.

JUST SAY THIS TREAD AND I AM FUCKING ANGRY

besides aesthetics THEY ARE AUDIO TRASH

the power supplies are crap
the silicon is primordial and noisy as fuck
even the VU meters will distort the sound with their diodes putting half wave rectified postitive feedback into the pre amp stage
also their pre amps are garbage

radio engineer who is in his 30's - stay clear from this crap - all modern gear is superior. i have some battery lm1875 chip amps i use in a hex amped setup and my friends old naim gear from the 90's cant even compete

old amps: just dont do it
>>
>>59618431
What about those chink shit 5.1 speakers?
>>
>>59618359
go flip through some service manuals for Marantz receivers from this era. Circuit symbols, layout, and technical terms are all token Japanese from that period and immediately distinct from those used by Americans at the time. That and the use of specific circuit arrangements (not always good ones) typical of all other Jap gear.

What's more likely, the company did all this in an attempt to appear Japanese while boasting proudly about American heritage, or that the marketing and licensing company that bought Marantz in 1964 outsourced design and production to the lowest bidders to bank on an emerging economy and stubborn patriots at the same time? It's not like literally every single American, Japanese, and many German companies do exactly this today.

Not to say Marantz stuff wasn't great, but if'n it looks yeller, smells yeller, and tastes yeller, it's probably fucking yeller.
>>
File: GRUNDIG.jpg (307KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
GRUNDIG.jpg
307KB, 1024x768px
Eurofag aesthetics were better
>>
File: philips70-001.jpg (522KB, 1219x1755px) Image search: [Google]
philips70-001.jpg
522KB, 1219x1755px
>>
>>59611458
>that's a scam as well
It is.

>>59611604
>good DAC for the time
No. It wasn't.
It was a low end converter built around around a shoddy circuit, but it still had more than a few advantages over the old tape and turntables.
>>
>>59618431
I think the problem is that most "audiophile" desktop amps are way overpriced. T amps sound like garbage, so those are out. Everything else is way overpriced, like anything from Audioengine. If you go the powered monitors route you have to buy an expensive audio interface.

For a non-enthusiast I agree with everything you said about old hardware. If someone wants optimal bang for buck, they should look for a used receiver that's less than 10 years old. They go for $50-100 easily and will match a new receiver in audio quality, but not in features. Just have to be careful to find a model that won't break in less than 5 years.
>>
>>59618889
>They go for $50-100 easily

You can get them for less if it doesn't have HDMI ARC apparently it's complete utter dated rubbish.

With all due respect even most audiophiles are full of shit.
>>
Can someone post Schiit products
>>
>>59618431
I have a small collection of vintage receivers/amps as well as a high end Marantz 7.1 receiver and can honestly say I don't notice a fucking difference beyond shitty noise floor from leaky silicon and caps in the old stuff. Even my bottom of the line Realistic 14w receiver I got for $5 sounds fine to me.

That's coming from a 23 year old whose OSHA mandated annual hear tests prove I don't have hearing problems.

Not to say Adcom/modern stuff ain't undeniably superior in design and quantifiable performance. Shit there are $3 Opamps that can outperform everything I own and easy to follow designs (Objective 2 cough cough) for the ultimate cheapskate solutions. That's all neat shit for sure, but there's neat shit about vintage gear to.

It's like saying why play old videogames when newer ones are so much better made? Well shit those old games are still fun.
>>
>>59618972
>It's like saying why play old videogames when newer ones are so much better made? Well shit those old games are still fun.

But they are not it's the same shit except the new ones have some stupid ass 45 minutes melodramatic nonsense cut scenes and a hack tier written "mature" story line. Meanwhile old games just get to the damn point
>>
>>59618921
>Can someone post Schiit products
Ragnarok :P
>>
>>59619009
Holy shit that's exactly my point! Wowzers you really straddled the line of reading comprehension there.
>>
>>59619064

Pardon my autism.
>>
>>59619014
What about the Schiit's Wryd USB Decrapifier?

> Improves Sound, Color Printing, Data Stability

Yes. Some listeners say Wyrd improves the sound of their system. We won't make any such claim to sonic nirvana—sorry, creating expectation bias and neuro-lingustic programming ain't something that we do. Sonic improvements are for you to decide. The rest of it—color printing and data stability—that’s like saying charging your iPhone off Wyrd makes the battery last longer.
>>
>>59605109
My dad is into receivers and HIFI retro components and he bought around 15 of these in last 5 years. They can be really cheap and really good but there is only one thing that is crap about old electronics

Capacitors

These fuckers wear out so easily and make cracking noise in the receiver, and switching them is an even bigger pain in the ass. First you have to find which ones are worn out, then you have to measure what capacity they have and then find the exact same new ones and hope you got everything right. I changed a capacitor in my Vega receiver about 2-3 months ago and already another broke and the shit is making popping and cracking noises
>>
>>59620328
You mean this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kBo9qSQ30c
>>
I wouldn't consider anything without DTS. Found Denon AVR987 at a thrift store for $8 with the remote
>>
File: 564r86rfu.jpg (173KB, 925x850px) Image search: [Google]
564r86rfu.jpg
173KB, 925x850px
>>59611604
The triode is one of the most linear electronic devices available. Class D is an interesting topology (especially when considering power efficiency) but not for me. Sending a PWM signal to an inductive load to recreate a pseudo-sinusoidal signal just doesn't jive with me.

Point to point wiring is way easier to deal with and I hate SMD. Small, fiddly and static sensitive and I hate making PC boards. Not to mention a well laid out p2p design looks A S T H E T I C.

I have some equipment, all tubed, that's over 50 years old that still works. I can look at a schematic and understand the design, and know what every component does and physically see it. If a part fails, I can easily replace it.

You pay your money and take your choice in the end.
>>
>>59618372
>sounds better
This nigga loves his class D amplifiers.

Are you fucking deaf, son?
>>
'
>>
>>59605109
my marantz 2220 is the best receiver I've ever owned and super easy to fix
>>
>>59618889
>features
>10 years ago
Like what? DRM support? If you need that, it means you're watching Blue Rays and shit like that. Audio quality for movies doesn't matter. The main problem with amps from 10 years ago is that the capacitor plague was peaking right around then, so you're basically risking the same kinds of problems you have with a 40 year old dumpster dive special, except the amp itself is probably better looking and more compact, which I suppose counts for something unless you are into dumpster chic.
>>
>>59610819
>>59617113

Why is it whenever /g/ talks about vintage tech there's always this one guy who acts like some evil genius plotting to jew other /g/entooman out of their milk money
>>
>>59625352
Because /g/ makes it seem like there's a huge untapped market of retards out there who legitimately believe that new, better technology is a conspiracy to keep them kissless virgins. This applies whether it's audio gear, or programming languages, or the internet in general. So naturally people tend to fantasize about capitalizing on these people's stupidity
>>
>>59606531

>Soundesign

That was the Walmart store brand equivalent of it's time.
>>
>>59609401
>So is most Seiko stuff

More like the cheapest models in the product line. The stuff that the neckbeards jack off to includes the SARB line or the older mechanicals, all of which are 100% Nippon Steel folded 1000 times
>>
Is it generally ok to leave my receiver/amp on all the time? It's a 70s Akai
>>
File: 1490735453082-881517312.jpg (2MB, 3808x2144px) Image search: [Google]
1490735453082-881517312.jpg
2MB, 3808x2144px
I have a Marantz 2238. Replaced the caps, added LED lighting, and added a bluetooth interface into it. Its been an awesome project so far
>>
File: 1490736220301-1302159220.jpg (2MB, 2144x3808px) Image search: [Google]
1490736220301-1302159220.jpg
2MB, 2144x3808px
>>59625620
Ive got a really old pair of ohm model Cs to go with it. The 10s are going bad and will need to be replaced soon, but everything else sounds great. This is all old stuff my dad saved
>>
>that brushed metal
>those knobs
>that radio tuner

where do I find these in the UK?
>>
>>59625875
whatever is the british equivalent to goodwill
Thread posts: 149
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.