[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is HyperThreading/SMT really working outside video editing? Is

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

Is HyperThreading/SMT really working outside video editing?
Is it helping when I am playing and watching stream (which seems to be CPU intensive) on other monitor?
>>
Not that they are great games, but Ghost Recon Wildlands uses 14 threads, and Elite Dangerous uses all 16 of my 1700X. When the GF starts streaming from my PC to the TV in the bedroom, I don't notice it all, so I'm guess my highly multithreaded environment works quite nicely. My old 8320 @ 4.5 was decent, but not this seemless, especially when she choses a movie using high bitrate h265.
>>
>>59583053
Yes.
>>
>>59583053
Any good explaination how it is working? When it works well and when no?
>>
>>59583465
>the GF
>>
>>59584587
>>59583053

Hyperthreading (properly called Simultaneous Multi-Threading) is generally an answer to improving efficiency and thoroughput in today's superscalar processors, which is pretty much everything currently in use.

First off: Superscalar means that if a CPU or other type of processor has the resources available, they can execute multiple instructions simultaneously on the same clock cycle (example: An instruction to add 2 pieces of data together and another to multiply 2 different pieces together can be executed simultaneously, the add using the Integer pipeline, the multiply using the floating point pipeline). Intel and AMD's most recent architectures have the capability of executing upwards of 6 (or more) instructions each cycle.

Now, keep in mind of the fact often data and/or instructions are often not in position for immediate use. They could be in transit from main memory or are on their way up from a cache further down in the memory hierarchy. Until the needed data is actually where it needs to be, the CPU will sit there twiddling its thumbs wasting power. So, the solution is instead, run 2 (or more, IBM POWER can run up to 8 threads per core) threads on the same hardware, with the line of thought being: "If the data for one thread is not there, but data for the other one is, why not execute the other thread on the same hardware to minimize idle time?"

Now, as we all know Hyperthreading does not automatically mean "turn on, get huge boost in performance". Doesn't work that way most of the time. If the CPU is saturated (no gaps or what not), attempting to run another thread will often result in the thread causing saturation to slow down as well, and a near 0% overall speedup in the workload (ex CPU tripcode finding). On the otherhand, if there is a large number of gaps and whatnot in one thread, the other thread can take advantage of it to get shit done, sometimes to great effect (Transcoding video).

It all depends on the workload.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.