[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>go to store to buy software >buy a box full of DVDs and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1482419448289.jpg (41KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1482419448289.jpg
41KB, 640x480px
>go to store to buy software
>buy a box full of DVDs and manuals
>you don't actually OWN anything!
>it's all license bullshit type of deal that specifically states you don't OWN anything
>can't even resell it

How the fuck is this acceptable? How the fuck is this allowed? What evil monster came up with this shit?
>>
>>59573801
>what is selling pirated copies online via digital distribution
>>
>>59574012
>pirated
what's the point in buying shit then?
>>
>>59573801
You own free software even less.
>>
File: 1475972822466.png (11KB, 398x221px) Image search: [Google]
1475972822466.png
11KB, 398x221px
Is GPL any different? You don't own shit either.... even if you pay for it.
>>
>>59573801
>buy a box full of DVDs and manuals
>you don't actually OWN anything!
It always have been like this with software.
You own the pieces of plastic and the paper in that box, but not what is wirtten on them. You just own a licence to use them.

>can't even resell it
You may be able to resell the licence you own depending on the software. Games (not tied to an account) can be resold for example.

>What evil monster came up with this shit?
Developers wanting to sell their software ?
You have to protect you IP man...
If you want anybody to be able to use your hard-work for commercial purposes, just release the damn thing under a permissive license.
>>
>>59574127
Yeah but neither does anyone else. That's kinda the point.
>>
>>59574208
>It always have been like this with software.
Yeah, but why is this allowed? This goes against 100s of years of legal precedent.

If you buy something, you should own it. Period.
>>
>>59574095
Not really, nobody can take free software away from you as long as you're complying with its license, even if it's an aggressive license like the GPL.
>>
>>59574390
no it doesn't go against hundreds of years of legal precedent

you couldn't roll into a bookstore in 1929, buy a copy of Ulysses, and then print and sell your own copies

morons i swear to god
>>
>>59573801
If you go to the store and buy a DVD box set of Debian or OpenBSD, you own it and you can do whatever you want with it.
>>
>>59574443
>you couldn't roll into a bookstore in 1929, buy a copy of Ulysses, and then print and sell your own copies
Yeah, but I owned it. I could resell it.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.