[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can we have an emacs thread? I read the tutorial but I still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 11

File: 1490194893413.jpg (47KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
1490194893413.jpg
47KB, 400x500px
Can we have an emacs thread?
I read the tutorial but I still don't get it.
>>
Same here
>>
emacs is literally harder than vim.
>>
>>59562824
I never learned how to emacs properly and vim is a completely arbitrary set of key-commands that have grown over the course of 30+ years. Emacs should be easier by comparison... right?
>Can't even spacemacs
>Vi/m is fine.
>>
>>59562786
Do you need it? Isn't it just for autists?
>>
>>59562786
You have to use it while reading.
>>
File: org-mode20.png (51KB, 1062x393px) Image search: [Google]
org-mode20.png
51KB, 1062x393px
Can we have a big macs orgy-mode thread?
>>
>>59562839
Kind of yeah. I want to learn lisp and been reading about it. Emacs can be configured to use it pretty easily and I already have it sitting on desktop.
Now I'm just wondering if I can run it in lisp and evil mode. I've heard spacemacs before and have it book marked but since I already have regular emacs installed it just makes more sense to get evil working.
>>
Emacs is not an editor, but a full featured development environment for writing your own editor in. It comes with several editors built in (eg. default Emacs mode, viper, vimpulse, etc).

Note that this is exactly how most modern editors work, except they do it worse because they're based on JavaScript running in a Chrome process, whereas Emacs uses its own text editing-tailored Lisp-dialect. It's basically a prigramming language built for making text editors.
>>
>Not fully customizing your text editor
>Not writing your own elisp functions to change your emacs theme throughout the day
>>
>>59562935

I keep opening smaller extra windows, I've had some user error with vi but the control scheme just feels more understandable even if I'm not doing it right and getting more done with emacs, emacs just feels way too big and confusing in a way without learning how to configure it. I just found the wiki this morning but had already spent a few hours reading about lisp that my brain was too fried to just jump into another topic
>>
>start using Emacs because I was using OCaml for a lecture and they work well together
>still haven't learned basic shortcuts
It's even harder since I use Colemak and the shortcuts are all over the place. I have to get my shit together some day and customize all the needed shortcuts. Anybody has some how-to on customization in Emacs?
>>
I am a GNU Emacs user.
>>
>>59562884
degenerate af
>>
File: saintignucius.jpg (31KB, 321x445px) Image search: [Google]
saintignucius.jpg
31KB, 321x445px
>>59562786
Switched from vim to emacs and went came back. Didn't even touch evil-mode.
>>
>>59563176
yeah but you like.... use arrow keys to navigate and shit? What does that even mean?
>>
>>59563104
Colemak or not doesn't make a difference for Emacs, unlike vi where the home row is important for navigation.

>>59563104
I can recommend https://github.com/bbatsov/prelude . It's a preconfigured version of Emacs that enables a lot of stuff you probably want to have. It makes sense to use even for a wizard.
>>
>>59563187
Dude, you can navigate using C-n, C-p, C-f, C-b (as in next-line, previous-line, forward-char, backwards-char). Also useful is M-m, which places the cursor at the first letter of the current line. Plus hundreds of other combinations you don't need to know from the start.
>>
>>59563187
I use Ctrl-p Ctrl-n etc... I never use the arrow keys. But most of the time I use Alt-f and Alt-b for navigating by words. I also remapped caps lock and the Enter key to control (acts like enter when pressed alone and like control when pressed simultaneously with another key [I use xcape for this])
>>
>>59563203
Looks nice, thanks!
>>
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MovingTheCtrlKey

Do this. Seriously. Even if you don't use Emacs.
>>
>>59563246
>>59563253
Okay so at least it's something translatable. Is there any lighter emacs distributable? I end up using like busybox vi a lot.
>not built with line numbers
>agony

I come from ed and the idea of a programmatic text editor is very appealing. I tend to use command mode a lot more than a lot of vimfags.
>>
>>59563265
I Caps->Esc, I never had any problems with pinky Ctrl myself. If I did get into emacs I imagine I would.
>>
>>59562913
Use vim and slimv. Comfy as fuck and no GNU cuckery.
>>
>>59563301
I use Ctrl way more ofthen than I need Esc, Emacs or not and even when I do need Esc it's way easier to hit than Ctrl. Also in vim you can do Ctrl+[, which is almost on the home row with swapped caps.

So what's the point of Esc on the Caps key? I can understand if you're a hardcore vim user, but even then Ctrl is way more useful for everything else.
>>
wouldn't call myself fluent in vim, but I am very comfortable with it. It's my go to word processor, editor, note taker, you name it. Regex is something I have to keep looking up, but they stick the more I use them.
Been serious about learning how to emacs, but can't get past emacs -nw... should I spacemacs, evilmacs, vimacs, configure my .emacs first? what is essentially the first thing to do for a new comer?
>>
>>59563361
Yeah, I remember ^[ and some other control codes from terminal stuff. I dunno, I guess escape is just more handy. I can literally reach Ctrl without effort on the pinky so dunno. I could just as easily Ctrl->Esc and Caps->Ctrl.

Actual escape key is unreachable for any purposes.
>>
File: Trittin_WAT.jpg (18KB, 350x482px) Image search: [Google]
Trittin_WAT.jpg
18KB, 350x482px
>>59563265
>https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/FootSwitches
>mfw there are people who use foot pedals for the modifier keys
>>
>>59563396
Get Prelude, see >>59563203

It gives you a nice out of the box experience while staying true to vanilla Emacs in terms of configurability and compatibility in case you want to make your own changes. Spacemacs is almost like a whole different beast and it breaks lots of stuff.
>>
>>59563409
What's so weird about that?
>>
File: gnuemacs.png (184KB, 500x323px) Image search: [Google]
gnuemacs.png
184KB, 500x323px
>>59563040
>>
File: spacemacs clojure.png (354KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
spacemacs clojure.png
354KB, 1920x1080px
Spacemacs is incredibly comfy for Clojure development... Everything is very well integrated
>>
>>59564644
where can i find how to configure it like that?
>>
>>59564719
First, you want to install http://spacemacs.org/
Then you need to install the clojure configuration layer.
Then, when you open a clojure file, use space m s i to connect to a Clojure REPL.
Use space w / to split the window vertically
Left click the buffer name at the bottom of the right side until it comes up with the REPL.

I could probably automate the process, but can't really be bothered learning emacs lisp to do it.
>>
>>59564644
Spacemacs is fucking stupid. You are forced to use Evil (Vi emulator), and it can't be disabled. Plus you're going to have to learn new key mappings. MIGHT AS WELL JUST USE VIM. Use Emacs if you want to use Emacs.
>>
>>59564864
When you first install it you can literally choose between vim or emacs editing modes, and you can change it in the .spacemacs config at any time
>>
>>59564879
You can, I know, but you're still using Evil because it can't be removed. Evil is emulating Emacs editing, inside of Emacs. Think about how stupid you have to be to use Spacemacs.
>>
vim > emacs

enjoy your RSI emacsfags
>>
File: image001.jpg (124KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
image001.jpg
124KB, 480x320px
>fire up emacs.iso
>proprietary ram firmware hangs the install and tries to turn on networking
>>
Emacs users are more intelligent than vim users.
>>
File: spacemacs editing mode.png (124KB, 928x595px) Image search: [Google]
spacemacs editing mode.png
124KB, 928x595px
>>59564896
If you don't like it, then don't use it... its that simple.

But does it really matter in [current year] if an editor is going through an emulation layer. I can only see it being a problem if you were running it on a 20 year old thinkpad or some shit.
>>
>>59564946
I don't use Spacemacs. Because it sucks.
>>
>tfw everyone says emacs is GOAT for lisp
>tfw you learned vim first so you can never learn emacs
>>
>>59564789
pic
>>
>>59565141
A couple of other shortcuts I use often is space p t to open the project tree and space t n to toggle line numbers...
>>
>>59563120
>degenerate af
What is degenerate about org mode?
>>
>>59565022
I started learning both but it's counter-productive to keep learning both. It's more beneficial for me to focus on vi style bindings and stuff even if I spent more time in emacs.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.