[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I memorize every line of every program in a given gentoo gnu/linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 65
Thread images: 5

File: thinking-face.png (53KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
thinking-face.png
53KB, 256x256px
If I memorize every line of every program in a given gentoo gnu/linux distribution and step through them storing the program state on a piece of paper, can I install gentoo on my brain?
>>
>>59556647
No, you can't. Brains don't work like computers do.
>>
>>59556709
In this case he would be doing Turing complete operations. If he is reciting state precisely and draws out the framebuffer that he calculated, then he really is doing the exact same thing as the computer.
>>
File: 1481067047206.png (245KB, 445x663px) Image search: [Google]
1481067047206.png
245KB, 445x663px
You've memorized the code. You haven't actually "installed" anything, perhaps you "installed" the source to your chemical memory, but can't actually run anything.

Now, with that being said, if you had an IQ of 2000 you could memorize exactly what each line of code does and emulate Gentoo on your brain.
>>
>>59556734
But you can "install" and run algorithms!
Anyone of average intelligence will be able to run Fizz Buzz in his head for example. Addition like 5+5=10 is an algorithm and it runs in your brain. A lot of us even have the math multiplication up to 100 cached.
"Installing" in this context means understanding an algorithm.

No one will be able to sort a list containing hundred objects with multiple fields though inside of his head. We can not keep that much in mind at the same time. Something on the level of an operating system is far too complex for our fuzzy brains.
>>
>>59556729
See
>>59556734

He wouldn't be doing the same thing as a computer. He would be roleplaying as a computer and he would have enough knowledge to mimic the responses the computer would give, but he wouldn't be actually doing any processing, he would be imagining he is doing processing and playing out that fantasy.
>>
>>59556814
In the abstract form, the computer is doing mathematical operations on variables and doing I/O.
Assuming you had the working memory (which you don't) you do the same mathematical operations and write on paper for I/O. Math is the same no matter where its done, CPUs are made of magic.
>>
>>59556884
aren't made of magic*
>>
>>59556884
Yes, but even if you suspend belief even by that huge margin, there would be nothing that would have compelled him to act on inputs he is given like a computer would.
>>
>>59556933
If you instead do all the memory operations on paper as well, you could ignore the working memory aspect of this. It is entirely possible to run the source code for programs by figuring it all out on paper, and is equivalent in every meaningful aspect to doing it on a CPU.
>>
File: 1480889334701.jpg (174KB, 700x667px) Image search: [Google]
1480889334701.jpg
174KB, 700x667px
Literally impossible. We do lossy/approximation computing inside our brains and have mostly lossy memory storage that degrades over time. We can barely do addition/subtraction inside our heads and remember what we ate yesterday.
>>
>>59556953
Still it would be you doing the calculations out of your own free will, not because the program compels you.
>>
>>59556967
t. brainlet
>>
>>59556979
Do we really have free will though? If we can't be 100% certain of it, then it's not really worth arguing for the sake of mental Gentoo emulation.
>>
>>59556979
>free will
That's not a real thing. If you want to do something, then by virtue of this being a universe based solely on cause and effect, it is equivalent to the computer doing the task as well.
Wanting to do a task is based on the exact same physical laws as a computer doing its calculations, therefore if you want to anthropomorphize you could say the computer "wants" to do its calculations.
>>
Definitely regret being on acid reading this
>>
>>59557013
>>59557025

Yes you do have free will. Even if you could philosophisize about it to some extent, it could never be of so miniscule and maleable power to mimic acting like a computer.
>>
>>59557053
I feel like a very interesting but depraved experiment would be to condition a person to emulate a simple CPU no matter what through positive and negative reinforcement. It'd have to be nearly all they'd ever known though.
>>
>>59557117
No, that wouldn't work. No matter how much you torture him (why would you do that though, why not get a proper computer?) he would still have enough of a conscience to decide to kill himself rather than be your slave.
>>
>>59557053
The physical processes causing you to want to do ANYTHING are philosophically equivalent to the physical processes "compelling" a computer to do its calculations.
>>
>le you don't have free will meme
I remember being a nihilistic STEM highschooler too
>>
>>59557202
What fundamental in our force in our universe manifests free will?
>>
>>59557188
Describe such process that would cause his brain to act on your input. You can manipulate his anatomy, not his brain.
>>
>>59557217
>everything is a mathematical force equation
Thanks for proving my point
>>
>>59557239
You read the input on a paper, and because you want to do a calculation corresponding to the input, you do that calculation and write the output below.
>>
>>59557241
Everything is a real force that happens to have properties that always correspond to math. You still have yet to demonstrate a place for free will here.
>>
>>59557314
Why would I want to do that?
>>
I feel like this thread is a sad window into the future of /g/ where idiots are asking if its possible to install an older version of a OS onto their cyberbrains because the newer version spies on you.
>>
>>59557336
YOU don't have to. We are assuming an a priori desire to do such a task. Just like we a assume a priori that the computer is capable of doing operations on registers.
>>
>>59557350
Well, exactly as I said, your free will chooses to do the calculations. You dont see the equation and immediately start calculating it. You see it, somehow feel or dont feel the desire to do it, then proceed according to your preferences
>>
The installation would be successful, yes. But you can't run the code, your brain cannot run ELF executables.
>>
>>59557382
Having a desire to do something is not "free" nor based on any form of "will"
According to your interpretation, the computer had the "free will" to be manufactured and be bought by some neckbeard to install gentoo on.
>>
>>59557348
>implying there's ever going to be a cyberbrain OS that doesn't spy or otherwise put botnet in your brain
>>
>>59557405
It would be superseded by other, more basic desires. Why would you have the desire to do calculations?
>>
>>59557444
The "why" has nothing to do with it. We're not asking why electrons flow through a gated transistor, so what reason would there be to ask why some individual would run gentoo on paper?
Its an a priori assumption that they have that desire because its a fucking though experiment.
>>
>>59557474

Well exactly, you dont have to explain to transistors why they have to let electricity through them. You would have to do that with a brain.
>>
>>59557487
Neurotransmitters bio-electrically flow through synapses and cause neural spiking. Mechanically the brain is based on the same fundamental forces a computer is, so therefore any perceived free will is just a useful illusion.
>>
>>59557509
How would you give inputs to neurotransmitters?
>>
>>59557528
You don't give inputs to neurotransmitters, they give inputs to neurons by locking into specially shaped chemical "keyholes" on the neuron. You give input to neurons via synapses.
>>
You can mimic installing Gentoo on your brain by not sleeping for a day and then huffing gas.
>>
>>59557535
So, they would randomly do that stuff just because they saw a sheet of paper? That's not how brain works.
>>
File: 1490203508108.jpg (179KB, 737x778px) Image search: [Google]
1490203508108.jpg
179KB, 737x778px
>try to compile with your brain
>error: unidentified location
>>
>>59557556
No they do these things because they have the A PRIORI desire to do them, because if we are assuming using a human as a computer, then they must want to do those things.
How fucking dense are you not to get this simple point? The desire to do run an OS in their head means that their specific brain is already in a state that would be accepting to doing the calculations presented to them, because we already assume that they want to do said calculations.
>>
>>59557587
You can't just assume that. Even as a thought experiment it is a flawed one (as thought experiments generally are).
>>
>>59557605
But I just did assume that. Its not too hard to believe, plenty of people do meticulous crazy things. Its an entirely plausible goal some autist might have.
>>
>>59557414
We ghost in the shell now
>>
>>59557620
You overestimate the ability of you memorizing a set of commands and applying them in correct procedure, without any inteference from your subconsciousness or consciousness for that matter
>>
>>59557668
... Which is why you use a pencil and paper.
>>
>>59557688
Or do the pencil and paper use you?
>>
>>59557702
Its mutual
>>
>>59557688

what if you use notepad.exe for it instead?

now hold on, i just had an idea.
what if you put those instructions into asm.s and compile them?
>>
For fuck's sake please quote the part of the definition of an OS that states that it cannot run on a machine that has free will.

The question wasn't "would I become a computer if I did that?". To which the answer would be no, because you have free will and a computer does not (without going into extensive debate on free will and/or AI). Instead, the question was, "Can I do that?" To which the answer is yes (well, ignoring memory constraints, or bypassing them using a pen and paper), because free will is utterly irrelevant for this question.

(If you still want to sperg out, pay careful attention to how the question doesn't ask, "do I want to do this?" or "will I do this?". It's very explicitly "Can I do this?". Can you jump off an inland cliff with no equipment? Yes, you can. Can you spend 30 years in uninterrupted solitary confinement, provided basic necessities are provided and health problems are treated through some automated system? Yes, you can.)
>>
>>59556647
No. That would require brain-iq >= 2 installed.
>>
>>59558267
Exactly. The question is about the ability to install gentoo in your brain (the answer is no, you don't have enough working memory unless you use something like paper), not about whether or not anybody wants to.
>>
>>59557322
Then please mathematically explain consciousness and existence.
>>
>>59558660
Are talking about qualia? Its generally accepted that qualia is an implicit aspect of reality. Everything has them, but since our experience is aware of itself, we put more spiritual weight on to them. They have nothing to do with free will though.
>>
>>59558744
Naming something is not explaining it, try again.
>>
>>59558768
I explained that they are an implicit aspect of reality, just like space and time. I can't help it that you don't have the reading comprehension to understand that. The hypothetical source of qualia is from irreversible thermodynamic interactions which themselves are the suggested form of disentanglement via quantum observation. To observe is to have something interact with you in a way that forever mingles the two states. That's likely where qualia arises.
>>
>>59558808
>implicit aspect of reality
>uhh yeah it's just there and I can't really explain why
>>
>>59558824
I'll wait until you read my full post, since I further elaborated on the matter.
For anyone who actually cares about the subject, you might want to start here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_thermodynamics
>>
>>59558847
watching /sci/ try to explain anything slightly abstract like free will or existence is hilarious.
>>
>>59558889
>I'm a brainlet trying to appear smarter than everyone else, so I'll just pretend to have some mysterious knowledge and laugh at anyone trying to help me understand the universe better
>That will sure trick them into thinking i'm smart
>>
File: 1322615842122.jpg (17KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1322615842122.jpg
17KB, 400x400px
>>59556967
I've seen that image a couple of other times in different threads, but I never bothered to read that last paragraph until now.
>>
>>59558919
>I'll just read endless equations until they validate my existence and prove everything there is to know about life
>>
>>59558944
At least I actually know things rather than pretending to be smart without actually ever doing anything other than making accusations.
Thread posts: 65
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.