[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dumbfuck here Why do you people hate x86 and why do you consider

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 4

File: nier_2b.jpg (79KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
nier_2b.jpg
79KB, 1000x1000px
Dumbfuck here

Why do you people hate x86 and why do you consider powerpc betterm
>>
They don't. powerpc is just a meme cpu architecture that died eons ago.
>>
>>59555951
x86 is an ancient polished turd
>>
>>59556469
/thread
>>
>>59556469
If it's such a turd then why has the US government contracted intel to make them thousands of x86 chips for a supercomputer 2X as powerful and 2X as energy efficient as the current top chink one?
>>
File: Eve.gif (813KB, 500x368px) Image search: [Google]
Eve.gif
813KB, 500x368px
>>59555951
Instruction set arch is never as important as the microarchitecture. So most of them can plausibly be used for a winner CPU if anybody cares enough, has enough talent and money. And time for development.

In the end, the ISA architecture can maybe net you 5-10 % advantage over a less good/clean ISA. MAYBE.

However, the maturity of the ecosystem, extensive optimizations in every software and decades of tuning can easily offset that. You can see it for example in multimedia, where Power is absolutely worthless because software just doesn't have the SIMD assembly that is needed for anything to run fast.

As for why people claim this and that is better and flame about it - it is all emotional shit, like with graphics cards or phones. Alternative ISAs tend to form fandoms - people like underdogs, or technologies of the past. or just stuff that is exotic.

For these reasons, I actually became fan of Itanium (old, exotic, and failed economically), MIPS (has lots of usage still, but nobody finds it cool and it is slowly but surelly getting killed by ARM as the new trendy kid) and x86. X86 because it is old with long history but also quite high performance and extensively extended - and it has little actual fans because all the sheep are drawn towards "alternative stuff". So in terms of mindshare, x86 is actually an underdog that makes me want to root for it.
>>
x86 isn't pretty but its functional. My main complaint with it is the lack of competitors.
>>
>>59557907
Zen should give Intel some massage now. Even VIA is trying a bit more these days, they promise 16nm octocore for 2018 (so 2019-2020). Sadly they basically got both by chinese comsies so it is becoming a "national CPU" - aka Zhaoxin. Sucks.
>>
File: via-zhaoxin-d-e-fritz-chess.jpg (27KB, 558x418px) Image search: [Google]
via-zhaoxin-d-e-fritz-chess.jpg
27KB, 558x418px
>>59558028
*got bought
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.