[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've learned all the Python 3 syntax but I'm still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: 1486776052827s.jpg (8KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1486776052827s.jpg
8KB, 250x250px
I've learned all the Python 3 syntax but I'm still having trouble when it actually comes to programming, what do?

Pic related.
>>
Stick to it
>>
>>59551376
Give up and relegate to retail or fast food like the rest of your people
>>
>>59551376
>What do
K Y S
Y
S
>>
>>59551394
>tfw no degree and this is my future
Here I thought programming could save me.
>>
>>59551376
Make a porjec
>>
well, make something

do you want to make a website, scripts to manage tedious tasks with automation, some sort of gui app, whats your goal
>>
>>59551394
Good idea, btw.
>>
Because you don't have e problem solving skills dumbass, do some code golf on Stack Overflow, or some YouTube tutorials. Knowing every word in the dictionary means nothing if you have no idea what to write.
>>
>>59551376
Throw it away and learn Lisp instead.
>>
>>59551441

fuck lisp stallman shill
>>
>>59551423

Making a website would be cool.
>>
File: 80281080.jpg (42KB, 780x780px) Image search: [Google]
80281080.jpg
42KB, 780x780px
>>59551414

relatable
>>
>>59551505
check out flask, small and pretty simple to use but pretty powerful web framework, it's also good as a stepping stone to django which is a little more robust but harder to start off on
>>
>>59551523
>>59551505

oh, worth saying that python creates static content and the back-end/server implementation, so you can have templates that change based on variables in your backend code but you wont be able to run a "script" on the webpage to change content while its loaded, and using javascript will be necessary with html+css too obviously
>>
>>59551469
Lisp wasn't _written_ by Stallman you fucking mongoloid.

Lisp is a good language for learning a lot of great concepts that change the way you look at programs altogether.

Read Common Lisp.
>>
Is it best to learn a completely different language after learning this one? Sounds counter-productive.
>>
>>59551376
Try and actually do something with it. I didn't learn any real programming skills until I had a project that I cared about.
>>
>>59551713
After you learn like 4 languages they all look the same and you just google the libraries until you know enough of the idioms to write good code in that language. In the past month I've written C++, Java, Javascript, Perl, Python, Haskell, and Rust at my day job. The difference is the mistakes that are hard to spot and hard to code-review. Should I have done a null check? Who frees this memory? Did I do an implicit cast by mistake? Is this a race condition?
>>
>>59551376
I can memorize greek letters but that doesn't make me better at math.

This board is so pleb. We need a legit programming board where this trash gets b&.
>>
Read an algorithms book and all the primary means of utilizing data structures
>>
>>59551441
>>59551563
I agree.
>>
>>59552168
Instead of judging other people, why don't you give constructive advice? Show some mercy
>>
>>59551376
Search for programming exercises targeted for beginners. They must be challenging, but doable for you, so that you may spend 20 minutes on an exercise. Work through them and you'll get the intuition for solving small problems.
Next you'll want a book for datastructure / Algos, because the earlier you generally know them the better, and you still need them sometimes to pass code interviews.
Then you'll need some books about programming larger programs which depend on what you want to do, e.g. if you want to do webdev learn the django framework and read up on concepts you may not understand (HTTP, databases etc.).
>>
>>59551376
>I've learned all the Python 3 syntax
Good start, keep it up.
>but I'm still having trouble when it actually comes to programming
Of course you have. Language is just a tool, which you just learned to use but don't know what to do with it. Just like learning how to use a chisel won't make you a carpenter.
The real problem you have IMO is that you've learned it and don't know what to do next.
You need some guidance.
This is what college is good for. If it's an option for you, you should consider going to one. It's worth its money, especially if you've confirmed it's the right thing for you. At least you won't waste the money like the people going blindly into it.
>>
Look for a book called Automate The Boring Stuff With Python
Do ALL the examples and exercises.
Don't come back before you finish
>>
>>59551523
django is worth trying as well
django is basically a replacement for PHP so if you need something like that it's p good
>>
>>59551376
Practice Practice Practice dude.

Find your favourite sorting algorithm and make your own implementation of it! Something fun!!!
>>
>>59555019
>collage
>worth its money

no
>>
>>59555784
looks like you'd benefit from it a little
>>
>>59555019
also, if you're considering self learning then:
- sure, everything is on the net for free, but it will take you 10 years and you will stil be a worse programmer than a college graduate. So paying for college might be a better investment than doing it for "free"
- you can't rely on the anons. You can't check the credentials of people on the net you take advice from. In college you have people who accomplished something in the field at the reach of your hand, so their opinions have more weight than e.g. your retarded classmate who shitposts on /g/, who is a master at pretending to be more competent than he really is, because that's what he was doing all of his life.
- feedback loop between you and your teacher is essential if you want to learn something in reasonable time. A teacher will spot mistakes you would never be aware of, while self learning often leads to self-reassuring in your own mistakes. Also, correcting your mistakes often takes more time than learning by itself - while a teacher can do it for you in almost an instant.
- you will never develop the self discipline college graduates have on your own. I know many of them aren't really that diligent, but at least they have an idea how it's supposed to look like, because they had to be like that at least once in their life to get the degree. I mean, it's easy to work on something you like, but could you do the same with the thing you absolutely hate? Essential skills like working with deadlines and making time estimates are abstract for self-taught people.
- networking might land you a job, or useful contacts for people who can do a job for you
- just talking to people who are in the same thing as you can be enlightening, you can learn inside info you wouldn't otherwise, and it motivates you to keep on going. Not to mention they can help you too.
>>
File: Will_code_html_for_food.jpg (27KB, 329x379px) Image search: [Google]
Will_code_html_for_food.jpg
27KB, 329x379px
>>59555784
>wild Future You has appeared
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.