[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello everyone, so,i want to learn programming and i would like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

Hello everyone, so,i want to learn programming and i would like you to give me some tips, tell me some of your experiences, like when you started it and what do you think of it now that you have more knowledge on it. Im not the brightest in math, but when i focus to learn and understand i succeed in my objective, it would be nice to get some people to tell me about it.
>>
Install ubuntu, learn unix
Lean bash and python, learn the rest when you work these two out.

codeacademy is a good place to start
>>
>>59535339
Step 1: leave 4chan for the duration
Step 2: learn to code

Step 1 is not optional.
>>
>>59535339
Don't try to teach yourself too much at a time.
If you read a page in a programming book and don't understand it 100%, read it again.
If you still don't understand it read it again.
When ever you read something make sure you apply your knowledge by writing a program to test it.

Try to master a single language before moving onto another.
Mastering C++ can take a year or more.

Overall go slowly and don't rush it.

Try not to drink coffee as it hurts the learning process, coffee is great to work, its horrible for learning, same for sugar.
Don't play video games, stop going on 4chan. programming is your life now
>>
>>59535339
Start with an easy language such as javascript. You run it in your browser. w3schools has a lot of simple examples.
>>
>>59535339
shell scripting is amazing. I wish I had started with it earlier
>>
>>59535339
If you just want to learn, start with some web pages. JavaScript is a good beginner language to understand the basics. Get used to variables, for loops, if / then statements, arrays, all the basics. From there work into creating functions, objects, and so on.

Once you have those basics work your way to something that can compile into an executable. Java would be good here. This way you can learn stricter programming paradigms (javascript will make a best effort to make any shitty code work). It will also get you used to diagnosing code errors vs runtime errors.

The process I'm talking about would take around two years if you go causally. For a beginner studying intensely... It might take about 6 months to get everything down. The hardest part will be coming up with projects so I'll give you three in HTML / Javascript:

1) Make a webpage that takes two inputs and adds them together and displays that to the user. You're going to need to look up HTML inputs and how to bind code to buttons.

2) Take that same page and add a dropdown to determine the action. Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.

3) Store the history of the last 10 entries the user has entered, both numbers and the action the user performed on said numbers.

There are many other things I could add in terms of tasks but that should get you rolling. Best of luck anon.
>>
>>59535431
this leave this board if you want to learn programming

then come back after you're good and cringe/laugh at all the bad advice given here
>>
>>59536584
Not OP but I'm going to use this. I'm learning programming and I chose Java and it's been rough. Sometimes I understand things perfectly then a curveball gets thrown at me. I've been using head first java to learn. I also got 3 months free of pluralsight and that's been helping a lot. But I will try JavaScript once I get a handle of Java. And yes no more 4chan/wasting time.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.