[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Thoughts on Lua? It's pretty goddamn barebones, making it

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: download.png (5KB, 204x204px) Image search: [Google]
download.png
5KB, 204x204px
Thoughts on Lua? It's pretty goddamn barebones, making it kind of impractical on its own, but lately I've been having a lot of fun tinkering with it. It's really fun to see how much you can do with just hash tables and functions.
>>
I really like it, its small size is a benefit.
index at 1 may not be the norm, but its easy to get used to.
Lua is great, I got into from AwesomeWM and Love2d
>>
>>59531607
Love2d is a lot of fun, and I think the fact that it leaves so many basic features out of its standard libraries is also a bonus, since it means you have a diverse array of options to choose from with the entire community working on libraries to fill the gaps. Writing your own libs is also super fun too.
>>
>>59531595
Loved it as a first language to write mods and keep me interested in coding, don't expect to do anything professional with it
>>
File: goat.jpg (80KB, 466x468px) Image search: [Google]
goat.jpg
80KB, 466x468px
It's actually everything Python promises to be yet fails at, minus all the bloat and problems and terrible design choices inherent to Python.
It's by no means perfect, but it's actually pretty nice and not a pain to use.
But while Guile exists and everything GNU is starting to embrace it, there's really no point in spending much time with other API/scripting languages.

Must we have this thread every day?
>>
>>59531595
>>59531607
>>59531647
>>59531868
>>59532392
>>59532465
A programming language /g/ doesn't complain and argue about?
What is this, ily guys now
>>
>>59532493
Bump because this is the first 4c thread without troll hate.

I use Lua to config my AwesomeWM. While I program Rust on the side, I might add Lua support to any games I work on.
>>
>>59532493
>>59532657
Lua has earned its place. It's fast, simple, light, and ubiquitous. Nobody really lĂ–ves it but it's perfectly adequate for most jobs anyway.
>>
I wonder how many of the people who write Lua learned it to write, modify, or debug WoW addons
>>
>>59533867
It was a motivation for a while, sure.
>>
I like it. The standard library is lacking to the point where it's difficult to use it as the main language rather than an embedded scripting language like it was intended. The language itself is great though. I wish more languages were as simple.
>>
>>59531595
Great language, but DESPERATELY needs a good/free/beginner book with lots of examples.
>>
File: lua.jpg (8KB, 197x256px) Image search: [Google]
lua.jpg
8KB, 197x256px
>>59534592
The official book is really good, only one I have read though,
>>
>>59531595
>It's really fun to see how much you can do with just hash tables and functions
So Javascript then?
>>
>>59531595
Meh, as far as embedded languages go there are better options.
>>
no mention of torch yet?
>>
>>59534821
Are there exercises in that one? I'm considering using it to learn, but I can't find a pdf.
>>
>>59534891
What's your preferred embedded language? I know *lisp is common. io is another pretty niche option but pixar uses it. I'm curious what other good options there are
>>
>>59534821

It really is pretty good

>>59535148

I got a copy somewhere
>>
>>59535180
I can find the 1st and 2nd edition online, but I don't think either of those have exercises which are introduced in edition 3.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.