[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the absolute cheapest way to setup a Plex server

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

What's the absolute cheapest way to setup a Plex server at home that (a) doesn't require me to have my PC plugged in 24/7, and (b) is fanless or as quiet as possible?
>>
If by "plugged in" you mean "powered on", that issue can be solved by writing a few scripts to listen to the Plex port and send a WOL request when it sees activity. It costs $0.
>>
>>59528451
raspberry pi
>>
That entirely depends on how many people you're going to stream to and how much content it is, and the format of the content
>>
>>59528451
Suicide
>>
>>59528451 Just run it on your desktop. Replace coolers, lower idle speeds if needed.
Setting up extra machine will be much more expensive even with europoor electricity prices.
>>
>>59528802
> Run scripts

If the PC is off what will run the scripts? But yes this answer works if anon's router can run code.

>>59528451
Build a PC w/ Ryzen 5 and run it 24/7.
>>
>>59531938
if your mobo supports wake on lan, then you can turn on the pc remotely with a "magic" packet, not quite sure about the mechanics of it but basically even when powered off the mobo draws enough juice to listen over lan for a specific packet that tells it to turn on
>>
>>59531938
>If the PC is off what will run the scripts?

OP will need to build a WOL PC that will stay on 24/7 so that it can power up the PLEX server when needed.

Also, this >>59529949
It's like asking what's the cheapest car I can get to do the stuff I need.

SPOILER: $0. NEETs don't need cars.
>>
>>59532877
> OP will need to build a WOL PC that will stay on 24/7 so that it can power up the PLEX server when needed.
You can do this with simple port knocking/icmp knocking via your router, it's pretty easy to do on routeros and openwrt/lede.
>>
>>59528451
Plex Cloud. Connect your storage of choice and it's all offsite.
>>
>>59528451
Buying a drive and renting from a slot host
>>
>>59533953
This, sure you're going to have to pay for storage but but it'll take a long time to beat the price if you're going to build a capable server. Dropbox 1tb plan should be good to go, maybe google drive if it's cheaper.
>>
File: Braggin-Dragon-Logo.jpg (154KB, 600x229px) Image search: [Google]
Braggin-Dragon-Logo.jpg
154KB, 600x229px
>>59528451
Plex Cloud you dumb asshole.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.