[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DOA technology? You betcha. So much for the faggots who thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: optane.jpg (22KB, 648x348px) Image search: [Google]
optane.jpg
22KB, 648x348px
DOA technology? You betcha. So much for the faggots who thought Intel's Optane was going to be revolutionary. Intel has walked back everything they originally said about Optane/3D Xpoint, and now it's looking like not much of an improvement over Samsung's NVMe, especially when you consider the $1500 pricetag.

Did you fall for Intel's bullshit about solid state storage as fast as DDR4 RAM?
>>
>>59505275
DELETE THUSSSSSSSSSSSSS ;_;
>>
>>59505275
To be fair if Intel actually delivered it would have been revolutionary. I can't blame anyone who was hyped
>>
>>59505275
wait for the m.2

i heard the next amd enthusiast chipset in 2018 q3 is going to have optane support bc intel showed the chink ceo a demo and she's a beliver
>>
I wish I had a RAMdrive

or something else that fast, thought of getting a mobo and installing 128gb of ram then making a 100gb RAMdrive for gayming
>>
File: lies.jpg (108KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
lies.jpg
108KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>59505378
So now it's Intel who are the waitfags? How times have changed.
>>
>>59505275
>1st iteration of new tech is not significantly better than well developed tech
Gee that's never happened before
>>
>>59505441
Change that comma to a period, and it's true.
>>
>>59505504
2016: AMD PILEFIRE, 1.21 niggawatts
2017: INTEL DELIDLAKE, 1.21 niggawatts
WAIT:ZEN+, OPTANE, 6core i7s, Bios updates, kaby ready 110 chipsets.

tw-tw-twenty eighteen goys?
>>
>Data center price
>Forced to use existing bus technology
First is standard. Second is tragic.

At least they write in a non suicidal mannar
>>
>>59505635
I don't know if I'll last to 2018, desu senpai. I'm still waiting for my AM4 motherboard, and I preordered Feb. 24th.
>>
>>59505378
pretty sure z270 boards already have optane support in m.2
>>
>>59505389

Realistically, what game/title is going to have an I/O scheduler fast enough to deliver a real difference between a fast SSD, and RAMDisk? Like, Half-Life 2 doesn't load any faster from my Samsung 960, than it did on my old 10k HDD, despite file transfers being colossally faster.
>>
>>59506288
>Realistically, what game/title is going to have an I/O scheduler fast enough to deliver a real difference between a fast SSD, and RAMDisk? Like, Half-Life 2 doesn't load any faster from my Samsung 960, than it did on my old 10k HDD, despite file transfers being colossally faster.

It would just be transfer rates of around 5000mb/s

that's really fast, would it make the game load faster? I don't know but for huge games or very complex games it should make a difference and maybe give you a few more fps
>>
>>59505275
would be hilarious if in a year micron will deliver actual tech but without intel
>>
>>59506334
>would it make the game load faster?
no, it's limited by other factors
>>
The DIMM slot tech is going to be interesting.

A few months ago my department blew out our budget on some new db servers with 512gb ecc reg dram each. If we can achieve close to DRAM performance for our sql workload and these optane cards are closer to nand in terms of cost, that could have been a huge benefit to us.
>>
>>59506351
>>would it make the game load faster?
>no, it's limited by other factors

I don't see why that would be, it certainly boots VMs fast as fuck when I have tried it
>>
>>59506334
>bottlenecked rw by mbps download speeds
>bottlenecked rw by hdd speeds
>bottlenecked rw by ssd speeds
>bottlenecked by total capacity to hold anything worthwhile
>only pci e3 x8 or above (moar ramdisk) wont saturate it
wew lads...
>>
>>59505635
Fuck. This is actually getting stupid. The Jews can't get enough. Yet another
>just wait
of year. JUST
>>
File: wojakself.png (293KB, 633x758px) Image search: [Google]
wojakself.png
293KB, 633x758px
>>59505378
>just wait 'till the next Millennium
Damn.
>>
>>59505275

>first keynote on Optane: 4000 times more speed than NVMe SSD!!!!
>first benchmark on Optane: slower than NVMe SSD

I hope they get sued for false marketing desu. BOYCOTT INTEL
>>
375GB drive pulls up to 18w under heavy use. Its an absolute housefire dead end technology.
>>
File: file.png (301KB, 500x420px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
301KB, 500x420px
>>59507629
>housefire
This no different to /pol/editt spaming 'cuck'
>>
>>59505275
A couple of considerations here.

It pulls 550,000 IOPS at QD16. Samsung et all require QD32 to pull 400,000. Even the top of the line Intel SLC DC4XXX series SSDs require QD32.

Whilst the Samsung SSDs pull slightly higher sequential 4K rates, they do so using 16 channel controllers, that are more complex and a bit pricey. The Optane 4800x is achieving the numbers you're seeing with only 7 channels.

99 percentile service latency is about 10 times better than nand, even under extremely heavy loads. This is fantastic for enterprise usage, and will have pretty solid benefits for consumer stuff too.

Finally, these drives support byte level addressing. This means they don't need to nuke a whole sector in order to write a single bit. This is fantastic for longevity and performance.

Whilst I agree this generation isn't what they promised, it's very possible the technology scales as stated. It's also possible it doesn't, but it seems more likely than not.

Honestly, it sits right between DDR and NAND flash. It should be fantastic in a lot of interesting ways. Honestly though, it will require significant architectural changes to really realise its potential. Thus you'll see it affect enterprise usage first with the Xeon platforms.

tl;dr - Why does OP suck so much cock? Why is /g/ so full of stupid?
>>
>>59506334

it doesnt. all reviews and tests show identical load times.

have seen tests done on 960pro, hdd, 850 pro sata.

the hdd does get beat out but 0 difference between m.2 960 pro and sata 850 pro.

kind of a let down really.
>>
>>59507715
Implying Intel hasn't deliberately gimped it to make more money by delivering yet MOAR improvement incremental improvements.
>>
>>59508413
Implying nothing of the sort.

They may well have, but I think more realistically it's that they're struggling to bring it to market.

Their times to market of late have been terrible, and they have enormous staff turn over. I think they're legitimately struggling to land products. Might well be wrong though.
>>
>>59505275
I've been looking forward to Intel's Optane for several months now. I was expecting it to be somewhat pricey, but fucking hell. $1520 for 375GB?
>>
File: 1345174317181.gif (2MB, 369x345px) Image search: [Google]
1345174317181.gif
2MB, 369x345px
>>59505517
>>
>>59508500
$4 per GB for enterprise, consumer ones probably no cheaper than $3/GB
>>
>>59505517
This is why the SI Brochure specifies a space as the thousands separator.
>>
>>59506334
>a few more fps
Unless a game is loading shit on every frame (example: absolutely nothing ever), storage read/write/transfer speed means jack shit for fps.
>>
File: 1.png (515KB, 1280x1094px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
515KB, 1280x1094px
>>
File: 3.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>59507714
>4TB NAND SSD draws under 10w under heavy utilization
>375GB Optane drive draws up to 18w
>implying this isn't a horrendous housefire shit tier technology.
Intel's marketing spin on Micron's dead end worthless phase change memory doesn't hold water.
You're pathetic, kid.

Meanwhile in tech that really matters:
Samsung has shown off their new ZNAND drives which have higher speed, higher endurance, and even lower power than prior NAND devices.
>>
>>59505275
IOPS at QD 8/16. This is a server part. Now go fuck yourself.
>>
>>59509531
Just like zen is for servers too amirite lol
>>
>>59509282
Yeah seems like Samsung btfo Intel here
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.