[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /g/ I'm fucking tired of this shit. I need a modem

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 4

File: 1489524830479.jpg (5KB, 249x249px) Image search: [Google]
1489524830479.jpg
5KB, 249x249px
Alright /g/ I'm fucking tired of this shit.

I need a modem and router that don't fucking shit the bed every god damn day and require a hard reset every fucking 12 fucking hours. I'm so sick of this bullshit. I've been putting up with this shit since my entire fucking life (first in my parent's house, and then since living on my own)

What fucking modem and router do I need to buy so I don't need to reset the fucking things every fucking day? I want them to just work. Just fucking work, and keep working, and not stop working.
>>
>>59505144
Just go to your local best buy/office depot, pick one off te shelf with at least 3 antenna thingys, and youre good.
>>
Buy a $100+ Asus router. It'll be better than the piece of shit your ISP gave you.
>>
File: 1490033646165.jpg (89KB, 594x753px) Image search: [Google]
1490033646165.jpg
89KB, 594x753px
mount/glue a computer fan to the vents
>>
>>59505212
Not using an ISP modem nor router. It's a Linksys CM100 modem and Linksys WRT-54G router.

>>59505244
I literally did that when I was a teenager with my parent's modem and it fixed fucking nothing.
>>
>>59505144
Mikrotik or nothing. They make "outdoor" equipment normally, but their indoor stuff isn't fucking around.

Comparable to high-end routers that cost 3x as much otherwise.

1000 mW antenna for ~50$ I got, no locked down features to jew you, and god-tier firmware that doesn't require DDWRT/Tomato replacement

I've literally never had to restart it since I set it up and the signal is absurdly strong.

They were actually recommended to me by /g/ years ago, probably the only recommendation from 4chan I'd actually pass on.

>>59505182
>3 antenna thingies
Purely aesthetic. I'm not joking. A lot of these have fake antennas, or could do just as well with fewer but they intentionally wanted it to "look faster".
>>
File: 1BFZmU3.png (543KB, 682x682px) Image search: [Google]
1BFZmU3.png
543KB, 682x682px
>>59505144
>don't fucking shit the bed every god damn day
I wish I had a gf that did that.
>>
>>59505144
If you dont have money:
>buy cheap linksys router
>install DDWRT
>
If you have money:
>buy a netgear nighthawk
>

As for the modem. Literally anything that isnt one of those garbage modem/router combos will work.
>>
I got into IT because the shit-tier ISP equipment that AT&T insisted we used (2Wire is rotting in hell I hope) would break down every hour. Honestly the way to go is a few cheaper routers running as APs and a decent modem that supports whatever line you're using with a decent switch connecting it all. If you have a larger area to cover, try using powerline networking kits and placing APs in weaker signal spots. Did this in my childhood home and it worked like a charm.
>>
>>59505898
>powerline networking kits
These are shit unless your house is brand fucking new (old wiring makes it go to shit), and appliances will fuck with the connection when switched on/off.

>>59505822
Seconding Mikrotik
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.