[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

FF sound gimped on ALSA-only Linux installs, I've heard

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: pm.png (121KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
pm.png
121KB, 300x300px
FF sound gimped on ALSA-only Linux installs, I've heard people saying Palemoon sound works but I'm running 27.2.0 and can't get sound working in YT, SC, etc for the life of me. Is there anything specific I need to do? USB audio is set up via ALSA and works in other apps. Losing willpower. May just give in and welcome our botnet overlords.
>>
>>59501419
>muh freedumbs
You're already running on pain-in-the-ass mode just trying to get anything working on Linux.
>>
>Need to troubleshoot just to get browser to play audio
This is why Linux will never break 3% market share
>>
>>59501531
if you don't understand what op is saying, don't respond.
>>
>>59501445
Lot of people carry that torch, I am not one of them. It's free and hasn't given me any major issues until now. That's why I continue to use it. This is the first time I've had major issues with sound using ALSA. Not saying it's for everyone, but it works for me.
>>
>>59501598
Make me
>>
>>59501794
I don't make trash
>>
>>59501419
>ALSA-only Linux installs
What is the reason for doing alsa only?

I have very little experience working with alsa/pulse, it usually just werks. I'm not even sure if pulseaudio is an alternative to alsa or a different animal all together...I'm assuming it is an alternative. Guess I'll skim wikipedia.

Probably shouldn't post this.
>>
>>59501818
All humans make trash
Whatever you're posting with came in some sort of wrapping and you've thrown it away
>>
>>59501880
OP here, no worries. Honestly I bailed on Pulse a few months back as I simply didn't need it. Everything Just Werks™ with ALSA once you take the 60 seconds required to set up a proper asound.conf file.
>>
>>59501880
Ok nevermind.
Alsa = Part of the kernel
Pulse = Middleware
>>
>>59501419
>Is there anything specific I need to do?
Install PA
>>
>>59501956
>Everything Just Werks™ with ALSA
Except Firefox
>>
>>59501880
also, to answer the Pulse vs ALSA relation, I believe Pulse essentially just sits on top of ALSA. ALSA is part of the kernel IIRC.
>>
>>59501956
>need to set up a config file
>just werks
pick one
>>
>>59501913
Im not human, goy
>>
>>59502117
Even if you identify as trans-species furkin, you're still a human
>>
>>59502220
How patriarchal of you to assume my gender and my species.
I'm a shekel loving-white exterminator-international clique-memetic energy-reality warper-intergalatic alien, you problematic oppressive sack of atoms insignificant oppressive shitlord
>>
File: fuggit.gif (892KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
fuggit.gif
892KB, 400x200px
op here. Looks like no one had any pointers so Chromium botnet, here I come.
>>
>>59504157
Just use Iceweasel
>>
>>59504558
Tried IceCat and IceWeasel. No dice.
>>
>>59501419
>alsa only
But why?
>>
>>59504157
My pointer would be to use a fucking sound server.

But hey...
>>
>>59501419
Just fetch the audio by sending mail to a program that extracts it and mails it back to you. Easy.
>>
>>59501419
sick of this trash

just using chromium now
>>
>>59501419
>sound problems
maybe because you're using linuxmint.

I think you neet to enable something in about:config and also configure your de's volume control.
>>
>>59501880
pulse is a shit high latency middleware shit and if you listen to hq audio you'll notice stuttering and latency due to bad software resampling. terrible defaults too.

systemd/pulse is windows in the making
>>
>>59501419
Just use PulseAudio m8
At some point you're going to run into actual bugs in programs.
I remember awhile back I was getting massive latency in Discord on Linux with ALSA because there was a bug with WebRTC in Discord.
Contrary to popular belief, systemd and PulseAudio ARE NOT the devil
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.