[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New to linux

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: linux.png (13KB, 284x292px) Image search: [Google]
linux.png
13KB, 284x292px
Which one should I try out first lads
>>
>>59493480
Fedora. Manjaro fails when it comes to security and Antergos is just Arch with an installer that has been stuck in beta for a long time.
>>
>>59493480

Devuan.

Don't fall for the NSA/systemd meme.
>>
>>59493480
Ubuntu. You're just going to come back and bitch about it not being Windows, so why not start simple?
>>
manjaro is shit
install antergos
If antergos installation fails (80% chance it will) then install fedora, but have fun with their shit package manager and repos
>>
I jumped through several distros and Manjaro was the only one that didn't give me any problems.
XFCE is ugly but clean and minimalistic, would choose over i3 since it's your first time with a Linux distro
>>
>>59493480
>bunch of pleb shit

Devuan, Gentoo, Slackware: take your pick.

Alternatively: OpenBSD
>>
>>59493480
Slackware.
>>
>>59493501
>Manjaro fails when it comes to security
How so?
>>
>>59493537
Cause Ubuntu looks ugly
>>
mint
>>
>>59493635
Not sure if troll
>>
if you want arch just install arch ffs its really not complicated

at most itd take you an hour to go from nothing to base installed with a full DE assuming you dont have a shit connection

dont use manjaro, its bloated and has its own repo separate from arch

dont use antergos, its installer is garbage and youll spend hours cleaning and fixing shit that it fucked up

and if youre really too dumb to follow a simple guide, just install fedora and be done with it
>>
>>59493635
Unity looks ugly. This is your first lesson. Antergos Manjaro and Fedora are the same shit with different maintainers. Fedora is pretty decent on implementing security updates. You can put i3 or XFCE on any distribution so that doesn't really matter.
>>
Go grab Arch Anywhere and NixOS and try those instead.
>>
>Antergos
>Manjaro

Just install Arch...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/revenge-installer/
>>
>>59493480
Memejaro is only for time travelers you fool
>>
>>59493510
why?
Every reason to not use systemd is based on years of experience with older systems.
Systemd made so many things easier, new users should just embrace it and be thankful they didn't have to learn anything else.
>>
>>59493706
Thank you desu
>>
What's the general consensus on Alpine Linux?
>>
>>59493685
>what is paper theme
>>
>>59493480
Install Gentoo.
>>
>>59493738
Nice try CIA nigger.
>>
>>59493969
They really put the nigger cattle to work.
>>
>>59493480
Multiboot all of them.
>>
>>59493480
amything with i3 is comfy.af
>>
>>59493706
jesus how many arch installers do we need
>>
File: bg2533.jpg (59KB, 400x350px) Image search: [Google]
bg2533.jpg
59KB, 400x350px
>>59493555
CHECKED
and not OP but maybe my brain will not be dumb and i can fix my bsd install today
>>
File: 1478617763695.png (251KB, 1911x958px) Image search: [Google]
1478617763695.png
251KB, 1911x958px
>>59493480
Antergos.
>>
>>59493480
OP you should use ubuntu

>but it looks ugly

Ubuntu does not come in one desktop only

There is ubuntu gnome(gnome)
Kubuntu(KDE)
Xubuntu(XFCE really like this one for old PCs)
Ubuntu Mate(Mate again old PCs)
Lubuntu(LXDE Can run on 128MB ram)
Comming Soon -ubuntu budgie

If you do not do this you'll start hating linux because you'll basically throw yourself into a pit of lava
>>
>>59493501
>Fedora
Enjoy your botnet
>>
Antergos, it's Arch with an installer. Also use cinnamon if you have good memory and cpu, otherwise openbox, mate, or xfce is good for weaker computers.
>>
If you're looking for a comfy casual distro that isn't retarded to use for non-CLI users then Fedora or Debian.

If you're looking for a minimal, configurable OS that you can make as productive as possible for yourself, then Gentoo or Arch.

For servers, FreeBSD/RHEL/CentOS
Or openBSD if you're really crazy about security.
>>
None,try Ubuntu budgie.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.