[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>The biggest benefit may be from substantially increasing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

>The biggest benefit may be from substantially increasing the amount of physical memory in a server: 2 socket Xeon systems can hold up to 3TB of RAM, but 24TB of Optane, and 4 socket systems support up to 12TB RAM, but 48TB Optane. This could be a huge boost for applications that need truly enormous quantities of memory.

So Intel just released a product that is basically aimed to compensate for low Xeon memory speed and capacity.

When they started R&D on optane in 2014, they probably didn't thought AMD would render it obsolete 1 month before it's release.
>>
>>59488275
Optane is quite possibly the biggest product release fuckup Intel has ever pulled off.
>>
lol you obviously don't work anywhere near a datacenter or have anything to do with hardware

AMD doesn't come near servers, anon...
>>
File: Optane will fail.png (244KB, 574x321px) Image search: [Google]
Optane will fail.png
244KB, 574x321px
>>59488275

Optane is not as good as ram.
Optane isn't faster than a NVMe pcieX4 SSD.
Optane will end up just filling the gap until Intel manage to add more memory lanes to their Xeon CPU.

>Or until AMD gain traction in the server market.
>>
>>59488330
we're talking about Naples dude

Intel's offerings are so fucking stale in comparison.

And if you worked around any kind of big iron then you know that procurement is fickle as fuck and will buy whatever has the best price/perf ratio
>>
>>59488330
But AMD already coming to google's cloud servers, anon
>>
>>59488475
>And if you worked around any kind of big iron then you know that procurement is fickle as fuck and will buy whatever has the best price/perf ratio
You dont know what a HCL is do you? ESXi still doesnt boot Ryzen and VMware hasnt made any statement about support it because no one outside of gaymers gives a fuck about AMD.
>>
>>59488330
AMD is destroying Intel in server buys already this month.
>>
hbm opteron when
>>
>was hyped for Optane
>waited for it since it first announced
>lost patience due to lack of coverage and announcements from Intel that I ended buying a Samsung NVMe
Good to know my lack of patience paid off this time.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.