[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I got a server mostly for seedbox purposes but I was thinking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: file.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
I got a server mostly for seedbox purposes but I was thinking about using it for plex + a tablet to watch stuff on bed and I'm curious

This shit is supposed to be played from a web browser to avoid the paid version, right?

Since this shit transcode the video to your device and serve it in a motherfucking web, do you lose quality doing it?
>>
No , depends on ur upload internet speed, so if u only jave like 2mb upload n ur family is streaming netflix plus ur lil bro is playing league ur going to get sht quality if the video even plays
>>
>>59486050
I have 1GB internet so that will not be a issue I guess
>>
>>59485935
I use a spare optiplex I had laying around as a Plex server and it works wonders, I highly recommend it. Okay now that my unpaid shill is over to answer your question I haven't had any problems with quality.
>>
>>59486488
Using web?
>>
You only have to pay for the device apps, the server is free
>>
>>59486529
Yee, all of the transcoding and what not is handled through the server. If you want to install the app on your phone, tablet or whatever it is free.
>>
File: file.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
Looks like a fucking e6700 can't handle 720p chink cartuns
>>
I just got a roku and I set up a Plex server for it. I'm a subsonic user, so the most jarring switch for me is that it's taken hours to get through my media folder
>>
Why not use your desktop with samba shares? That is, unless you don't have any of your media on your home network.
>>
>>59485935
can't you just use samba? If you want menus and metadata you can use kodi.
>>
>>59487061
Samba for what?
>>
>>59487011
weird. i have plex running on a sandy bridge era mobile pentium and a r7670m and i run 1080p streaming fine.
>>
>>59487011
>>59489268
You really should have a quadcore at a minimum for plex transcoding. On top of that, Intel didn't have iGPUs until 2010 when they started using the i-series branding, so your E6700 doesn't even have an iGPU (although I don't know if Plex leverages the iGPU). I'm using a 2400S underclocked to 2.2ghz without any problems. It's low power and cheap on ebay. Probably one of the best options available for a media server until Ryzen 3 launches.
>>
File: STREAM.png (43KB, 596x460px) Image search: [Google]
STREAM.png
43KB, 596x460px
>>59485935
You can tell it to transcode or not. This can be a per client setting.
>>
File: 23512341.png (80KB, 319x275px) Image search: [Google]
23512341.png
80KB, 319x275px
>>59487058
I use Plex in local mode so it's more or less the same. Chugs up with the buffering sometimes, wish I knew how to fix it.
>>
>>59490676
the problem is that some devices/applications can't run specific file formats (this includes most browsers), so they will transcode whether you like or not
>>
File: plex.png (232KB, 2222x1476px) Image search: [Google]
plex.png
232KB, 2222x1476px
Just pick this option if you want max quality
>>
>>59491193
>Just fuck my cycles up, senpai
>>
>>59491110
So how is this a bad thing? If the client can't handle the format, then transcoding is preferable to not playing the file at all.
>>
>>59485935
If you don't plan on streaming outside your LAN you should consider something like Kodi which is completely free software instead.
>>
I don't understand. I've had plex for years and never paid for it, either the server or any of the device apps.

Who pays for plex?
>>
>>59485935
>people suggesting software to access a LAN

just network the drive guys, geez
>>
>>59493230
Certain aspects of Plex are unlocked with money. However, if you're clever and have the know-how, you can get around them.
>>
>>59493230
Android app is limited to 1m playback if you don't pay
>>
>>59493230
hollywood and intelligence agencies probably
>>
>>59485935
I have a 12Tb Plex server running on a dual socket 1366 board. Shits great yo, have about 15-20 people that stream from it regularly. The Win 10 Desktop app is free, the ios and android ones cost but are worth it.
>>
>>59493230
I got a lifetime sub when it was only £45
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.