[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /g/ think of software patents and how can they be fixed?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: patents.jpg (88KB, 696x442px) Image search: [Google]
patents.jpg
88KB, 696x442px
What does /g/ think of software patents and how can they be fixed? Unlike copyright law that was made with the basic intent that you cannot make money off a product or work you did not create like a book, patents always seem to be used for more sinister purposes like hold back any competition or innovation.
>>
>>59485565
Patent attorney reporting in here.

>patents always seem to be used for more sinister purposes like hold back any competition or innovation.
Don't believe what the marketing people say. Too often they say that their patents will practically murder their competitors in their sleep, occasionally adding that generic "Mwahaha!"

Usually you can get a way around but too often that involves doing actual R&D when management rather prefer to talk about the R&D they do that nobody else in the company has seen any traces of. Remember that "GIF patent"? Massively overblown. Mind you also a classical licensing disaster by Unisys et al. but that didn't matter much to them. I remember back then one guy proposed replacing the LZW algorithm with a non-patented alternative but was promptly shot down by guys who had a genuine mission to saddle up for.
>>
I work in tech. I get paid roughly $5k bonus for every patentable feature I am a major part of. So to me, it's great.
>>
>>59486037
You're what's wrong with the world
>>
>>59486958
my company would patent it regardless as a preemptive measure. Only difference that would transpire from me refusing on principle would be that I wouldn't get the bonus.
>>
>>59485887
i thought you couldn't put a patent on code the same way you can't patent a book or an algorithm
>>
>>59488158
you thought correctly
>>
>>59488236
So why are we in a thread about software patents if there is no such thing as software patent ?
Is this a ruse ?
>>
>>59488259
Functions in software can be patented. Well, technically, functionality can be patented. Not the code itself.
>>
>>59485887
What about patent trolls?
>>
>>59488259
UX elements can be patented
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.