[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /g/, I want to learn to code a little as a hobby. I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

Hey /g/, I want to learn to code a little as a hobby. I'm really pretty damn new to it though. I've used Linux for about 2 years now, but haven't really gotten around to learning much else.

My question is what language should I learn, or general direction should I take? Would you recommend something like python, or maybe even C?

Like I said I'm very much a beginner, and willing to hear any advice. Thanks.
>>
>>59470897
Start with C. If you can master the mess that is dynamic memory allocation without a (seg)fault, anything else you pick up later will feel simple.
>>
>>59470897
Strongly typed programming language, then a dynamically typed scripting language.

Don't use YouTube tutorials. Pick up a book.
>>
>>59470897
start with bash scripts and python.
>>
>>59470937
Are there specific books you'd recommend?
>>
File: js.jpg (20KB, 260x341px) Image search: [Google]
js.jpg
20KB, 260x341px
>>59471219
This will get you off to the right track.
>>
>>59470897
It doesn't particularly matter what language you study. Just about any language will work fine.

The best language you could use, by far, is one that is known by a friend of you that could help you with any questions you will inevitably have. If you know people with programming experience who you could cooperate with, any language that they have experience with is easily a better choice here than one they don't know. This takes precedence over almost any consideration of technical merits of languages.

Failing that, python and C are both excellent choices. Both are important mainstay languages, with great importance especially in unix-land, key parts of the infrastructure of the internet and easily accessible in linux.

Of the two, python is probably your best bet. Python is a great deal easier to work with, easier to learn, and easier to get practical shit done with. C is rather more overwhelming to anyone who doesn't already have a strong programming background to begin with.

C is one of the key pillars of power behind most of today's technological magic, and if you want to be a real wizard you should study it sooner or later. It is also arcane, abrasive, and a long way removed from anything practical you probably want to do in programming. It is an excellent system to study at some point, but a poor place to start. Using C for your first exposure to programming is like jumping in the deep and hoping you can stay floating. Of course, that might be your preferred style of learning.

If you want to study python, I can recommend http://greenteapress.com/wp/think-python/ as an excellent textbook to get started. Besides being a really good textbook, it's also free.

Godspeed, OP. I'll be happy to answer any questions.
>>
>>59471219

python will get you up and running much faster than C. you will be able to implement things much faster & get a taste for programming. Later you can learn C or Go or another language if you find you need it.

https://www.amazon.com/Python-Programming-Introduction-Computer-Science/dp/1590282752/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1489888530&sr=8-1&keywords=python+zelle
>>
File: 1008879415-780x1024.jpg (147KB, 780x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1008879415-780x1024.jpg
147KB, 780x1024px
>>59471467
Thanks for the advice, and link. I had downloaded a pdf of pic related, but this book is welcome too.

I do kind of want to learn by jumping in the deep end, but only to a certain extent really. I don't want to overwhelm myself and just give up. Like I said I'm only doing this casually, as a hobby. It doesn't need to be too stressful.

Again thanks for the information.
>>
File: file.png (37KB, 200x246px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
37KB, 200x246px
>>59471556
I found this book to be super useful for starting out. It isn't really about sucking the Python D, it's just the medium you learn through.
>>
>>59471556
I haven't looked at this book in detail, but I *think* it is not an introductory programming book. It is an introductory *python* book, but (as I understand it) it doesn't really teach the skill of programming in general. Rather, it is aimed at people new to python but with existing programming experience.

Think Python is an introductory programming book. It uses python, but it primarily teaches *programming*, using python as its vehicle of choice. The same is true for >>59471578, as far as I can see (though I haven't read it).
>>
>>59471652
Oh cool. That definitely send like something I would need.
>>
>>59471652
I agree. ThinkPython was actually my first read and I think it's a fantastic way to starting off programming. I recommended the Zelle book, but I think ThinkPython is more fun if not as in depth.

and FREE
>>
Is Khan Academy a decent way to learn the basics of programming?

Is it just a meme?
>>
>>59470897
My advice
Never use code as a verb.
Never use Java and Javascript.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.