[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What shitty programming language were you taught in highschool/uni

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 5

File: 1488547498812.jpg (5KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
1488547498812.jpg
5KB, 262x192px
What shitty programming language were you taught in highschool/uni and how shit was it?

>Pascal
>>
A script language written by a professor at uni that only works with his compiler and nothing else
>>
>>59466416
Java and the teacher only knew DAO.
>>
In high school, I studied whatever the fuck I wanted. (Even visual basic. I weep.)

In university, the programming courses used pascal. I remember the horror of not having block-local variables. Totally blew a project once for failing to deal sensibly with this limitation.
>>
>>59466440
Top lmao
>>
File: 1472301247086.jpg (242KB, 495x600px) Image search: [Google]
1472301247086.jpg
242KB, 495x600px
>>59466440
if this was real i'd give tons of hearty keks
>>
>>59466527
It's real.

I luckily didn't take the class but I knew a friend who was forced to read and study the book the professor taught, which included learning his syntax style and programming habits.

Perhaps not quite as bad as learning their own language on their own compiler but it's still shitty.
>>
File: pretend im tyrone.png (46KB, 500x879px) Image search: [Google]
pretend im tyrone.png
46KB, 500x879px
>>59466416
>>
File: 1487690359074.png (177KB, 367x321px) Image search: [Google]
1487690359074.png
177KB, 367x321px
>>59466416
GW BASIC
>>
>>59466416
In university I was taught only C, C++ and a bit of C#. It was ok.
>>
>>59466416
pascal here too, it's not a super bad language but i never saw the point in being taught pascal when c was around

already knew pascal though because that's what my mom was taught and i stole her books
>>
We were taught Java and because they were lazy about getting us into gui they forced VB down our throats
>>
>>59466416
Visual Basic
The most complex thing I ended up doing with was a simple backend for a webapp that accessed an Oracle database.
It was kinda shit, but I remember it being kinda comfy too. Or maybe its just my nostalgia speaking.
>>
>Pascal
yeap, then delphi
i did not care for programming back then
so I cant really tell
I went through classes like an automaton

kinda wasted opportunity to learn, like I was not adult minded enough at that time :[
I feel like that about lot of subjects from school
>>
I had to learn c++ during my first year in tech high school and it was completely fucking useless, they made us learn the basic concepts plus pointers and classes but we neved actually implemented anything useful or actually understood how c++ worked on the os. Shoud ve just used a high abstraction language for learning, but noooooo lets just tell you to yse c++ and forget to taught you thr shit that actually matters

And then: second year its java
>>
>>59466416

what's wrong with pascal?
if you're ever going to write a compiler, you want to start by learning pascal
>>
>>59466416
turbo pascal and delphi
>>
>>59466416
basic or qbasic i cant fucking remember.
>>
C - 3 courses
Java - 2 courses
C++ - 3 courses
Haskell - 1 course
MATLAB/Octave - 3 courses
R - 2 courses
Prolog - 1 1/10 courses
>>
Java, Prolog, Haskell.
>>
>>59466416
High school:

Pascal - it was alright.

Uni:

Mathematica - powerful as fuck, but my Pascal habits were getting in the way a lot.
Delphi - dead simple GUI development, not that different from Pascal otherwise.
C++ - used for numerical methods, no OOP stuff.
Matlab - a shittier version of Mathematica basically.
>>
>>59469188
*Mathcad, not Matlab
>>
>>59466416
os/400

fucking useless piece of shit

also haskell
>>
>>59466416
Turbo Pascal and Comenius Logo.
>>
>>59466416
I taught myself Hyperscript at 13, Pascal at 14, C at 15, etc.

I didn't learn much from the C++ class I took other than that most C++ features are fluffy bullshit.
>>
>>59469282
>I taught myself
Why mention this at all? Completely irrelevant.
>>
I learned QBASIC in my high school Computer Science class. Creating simple shit was cool but it was basically a useless language.
>>
File: chuck-norris-and-lou-ferrigno.png (554KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
chuck-norris-and-lou-ferrigno.png
554KB, 1024x768px
>>59469343
I taught ure muvvah.
>>
C.
No jobs.
>>
BASIC, then C, then Java
>>
>>59466416
Logo.
>>
C#
>>
>>59466416
I teach at uni right now and i'm thinking about doing rust
>>
>>59466416
Fortran 77
>>
Perl, I fucking hate it.
>>
java
teacher didn't know it at all

used ALICE and back then it was a new program
>>
Java + Swing
>>
>>59472356
Thats not that bad. Of course JavaFX is way more powerful but Swing is nice too. Hell, there are some things you can only do with AWT....

>>59470303
>I teach at uni right now and i'm thinking about doing rust

Teach something the students will actually use.
>>
In my uni they introduce people who never programmed before to C++. It was a disaster.
>>
Java.

I'm sure other people love it, but I haven't found a single instance where it's the best choice personally.
>>
>>59466416
None. My HS offered 0 programming courses.
>>
Just HTML, not even CSS, they had us do formatting inside the tags.

We one time had someone come in to talk to us about programming, and they talked to us about C and Ruby and the uses for different types of programming languages, it gave me hope that the second half of the semester would have actual programming, but it ended up just being more shitty HTML. The closest we got to actual programming was making .asp pages that pulled data from an Access database, which was kind of cool at the time I admit, but it should have been something we were doing the second or third week at latest, not what we finished on.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.