[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Microsoft moves to block Windows 7/8.1 security updates for users

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: 1473942218467.gif (206KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1473942218467.gif
206KB, 500x500px
>Symptoms

>When you try to scan or download updates through Windows Update, you receive the following error message:
>>Unsupported Hardware
>>Your PC uses a processor that isn’t supported on this version of Windows and you won’t receive updates.

>Additionally, you may see an error message on the Windows Update window that resembles the following:
>>Windows could not search for new updates
>>An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer.
>>Error(s) found:
>>Code 80240037 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

>Cause

>This error occurs because new processor generations require the latest Windows version for support. For example, Windows 10 is the only Windows version that is supported on the following processor generations:
>>Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors
>>AMD “Bristol Ridge”
>>Qualcomm “8996"

>Because of how this support policy is implemented, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 devices that have a seventh generation or a later generation processor may no longer be able to scan or download updates through Windows Update or Microsoft Update.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4012982/discusses-an-issue-in-which-you-receive-a-your-pc-uses-a-processor-tha

Is there no level that Microsoft won't stoop to to force people to force shit down their customer's throats? Good luck to everyone who already bought a Ryzen processors and was using it Windows 7 or 8.1.
>>
>>59456202
>Is there no level that Microsoft won't stoop to to force people to force shit down their customer's throats?
I really need to stop flipping between posts while typing them. That should be:
>Is there no level that Microsoft won't stoop to to force shit down their customer's throats?
>>
>>59456202
yeah, not backporting hardware support to previous versions is sooo evil.
>>
>>59456202
So if I buy a new processor, Windows can't install their bloat and botnet.

What's wrong with this again?
>>
So what is the last series of processors to not get fucked?
>>
>>59456238
The only thing worse than running a copy of Windows that spies on you is never applying any security patches to your version of Windows for the next 3-6 years. That's also assuming it will install security updates up to this point, otherwise you can tack on an additional 8 or 5 years worth of already existing vulnerabilities. I sincerely hope no one here is going to seriously consider using any recent version of Windows without any security patches.
>>
>>59456300
Intel's 8th generation processors and AMD's Exodia Ridge based processors.
>>
File: FTGE.gif (1MB, 450x234px) Image search: [Google]
FTGE.gif
1MB, 450x234px
>>59456202
>>Code 80240037 Windows Update encountered an unknown error.

>Cause

>This error occurs because new processor generations require the latest Windows version for support.

Unknown Error
This error occurs because.....
>>
>>59456899
If you follow the link, "Cause" is a separate heading and the unknown error part is what Windows Update would report.
>>
>>59456202
>This error occurs because new processor generations require the latest Windows version for support. For example, Windows 10 is the only Windows version that is supported on the following processor generations:
>>Intel seventh (7th)-generation processors
>>AMD “Bristol Ridge”
>>Qualcomm “8996"

It is like the 9x -> XP shift all over again, it was a nightmare because of the lack of alternatives (linux was unusable at the time even for office), not so much in 2017.
The bad part of this shift is that I won't be able to use XP.
>>
>>59456234
This. Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity or laziness.
>>
>>59457414
Yeah, Microsoft totally didn't add this to force people to update. They've only programmed the Windows update program to scan for what processor you're using and stop updating and direct you to a support page telling you to update to Windows 10 if it detects a newer processor.
>>
>>59457461
Yeah because if processor gen > 7 || name=exodia , return error 0x80230037 is a lot harder than writing processor specific assembly level code for an old OS.
The whole point of giving out free windows 10 was two part: one, to place ads on your machine. Two, to not have to give a shit and pay the technical debt for old OSs like we did for XP.
If you want to jam a new age processor into an 8 year old OS that you didn't upgrade for free, fine by us. Just don't throw a temper tantrum when we don't care about you.
>>
>>59457565
I could have sworn they switched from nt calls to a C API
>>
File: 1483926140652.jpg (37KB, 338x497px) Image search: [Google]
1483926140652.jpg
37KB, 338x497px
>>59457565
>name=exodia
...you do know that isn't actually a type of processor.

>is a lot harder than writing processor specific assembly level code for an old OS.
Yes, because people still write everything in assembly and x86 totally isn't a standard.
>>
>>59457633
Yeah cause I'm sure your an expert in OS development.

Why can't we run the ps4 or xbone OS on our machines? Its all x86
>>
>>59457633
Yes, but that was just an example I quickly pulled out of my ass. Obviously my psuedo-code isn't going to compile. Yes, but Microsoft is writing the compiler. They are the ones who have to support the different chipsets, versions, and specification of processor. They aren't intentionally adding a check to prevent an update that would have worked anyways, just to force people to upgrade
>>
>>59457691
>what is everything else about the system besides the processor
The same reason you can't install a PC-98 version of Windows on your computer, or any IBM PC standard based computer with a processor that meets the system requirements. You can however install an older version of Windows on a modern PC and still have it run. I remember installing Windows 3.1 on a computer I built in 2009 as a joke.
>>
>>59457698
>that attempt at a technical explanation that's actually complete bullshit
Can you get Bill's cock out of your mouth?
>>
>>59457786
It's actually Satya's. Thank goodness I skipped Ballmer.
>>
>>59456300
>>59456374
also Qualcomm something something.
>>59456899
>Unkown error: Our newer versions of windows have a low percentage of the market share, please make it bigger.
>>
>>59456374
>>59458185
I feel like Logical Increments need to document this, and in greater detail.
>>
I'm surprised this thread isn't getting more posts. Fuck Microsoft.
>>
>>59458703
I don't run Windows. I don't really play new videogames and there are emulators in here. I'd rather play the fuckhuge backlog and wait until things reshape than succumb to that abomination that is Windows 10.
>>
Winders users are literal cucks, they'll eat up any turd microshaft throws at them and ask for more
>>
This is why we need free software.
>>
>>59456234
You know that x86 CPUs are still compatible perfectly with DOS by design, r-right?

There are zero changes between skylake and kabylake that could warrent this change too.
>>
>>59456202

>get an updated [current year][current month] windows 7/8 iso from whatever torrent site
>install
Wew that was hard
>>
>2010
>wow that guy made this obscure bsd distro work on his laptop, he's such a hacker

>2020
>wow that guy made windows7 work on his laptop, he is such a hacker
>>
>>59459001
The Dell and HP laptops that fuck with ACPI settings during a Windows 7 installation to BSOD it are the fucking worst
>>
>>59459023
This is a thing???
>>
>>59459125
Why do you think thinkpads are recommended here?
>>
>>59459125
They do it on purpose

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19651770
>>
>>59459023
Thank god they push the capitalism that hard so I go buy from another brand instead.
>>
Time to upgrade
>>
Dear /g/entoo

If you don't want people to use Wangblows, fucking fix those broken niggerrigged unix distros you're always ranting about.
The people you're complaining about don't know python, they don't know how to configure x.org.
They don't WANT to know how.

If lunix actually worked out of the box for normies more would adopt it. You're trying to win over the people that are too lazy to make an account, too lazy to figure out how to use a torrent client so they go on some russian site and stream 140p video while happily installing bloat/malware.

Advertising linux as a desktop OS is like selling a broken down car as working, saying that anyone with half a brain should be able to take the engine apart and fix it.

t. angry normie that wants you nerdshitters to produce a working alternative to windows
>>
>Use GNU/Linux for years.
>???????
>Profit.
>>
>>59456202
fascism
>>
>>59456202
>updating windows
>>
>>59461740
/thread

The way windows handles updates is retarded and your weather you use windows updates or not won't change the fact your system is probably vulnerable.

The good solution is to use linux
>>
>>59458947
>just torrent a trojan
>>
But my dudes

If I download the OS with all updates installed what then eh?
>>
>>59459481
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-B-and-G-Series-Notebooks/Lenovo-G50-BIOS-in-this-system-is-not-fully-ACPI-compliant/m-p/1646092/highlight/true#M39790
>>
>>59462858
when you finish installing new updates will already be out
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.