[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Post legitimately good reasons why you still use Microsoft Windows,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 257
Thread images: 34

File: Broken_Windows.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Broken_Windows.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
Post legitimately good reasons why you still use Microsoft Windows, especially as your primary operating system of choice.

Explain yourselves, right now, Windows Cucks.
>>
inb4 muh gaymes
>>
>>59455463
it just works. it has good software (photoshop, vegas, visual studio, etc.). it also has all the good pc games. most hardware has drivers for windows.
>>
I don't. I use FreeBSD :)
>>
>>59455463
No good circuit simulators out side of Windows.

Office suite is objectively better

Photoshop

Nvidia drivers

Gaming

I can list so many
>>
>>59455463
I forgot to mention, development environments for microcontrollers and fpga boards are often time windows only suites
>>
>>59455463
Excel.

Your move.
>>
>>59455463
Solidworks
>>
>>59455476
>>59455494
>>59455514
>>59455540
OP btfo pretty hard.
>>
>>59455520
you're*
>>
I just enjoy the comfy feeling I get when I am able to move a .jpg file from my downloads folder to my documents folder without breaking my NIC drivers
>>
>>59455514
This is so true, I really wish something like this existed for linux but it doesnt.

I work with FPGA boards for a living and have a dedicated windows PC just for xilinx stuff, but do c/++ stuff on my linux box
>>
My job /thread.
>>
Because of games like GtaV that won't run on ubuntu without a VM. If wine could run most windows games I would move to ubuntu in a heart beat.
>>
File: 1489803257005s.jpg (2KB, 70x125px) Image search: [Google]
1489803257005s.jpg
2KB, 70x125px
>>59455558
are you fucking retarded?
>>
>>59455463
I don't have to explain shit to you

but I'll do it anyways, solidworks doesn't run on linux in any shape or form.
>>
>>59455476
>it just works
I think this is just pretty debatable. I find linux in comparison to be a lot nicer to setup and requires a lot less maintainance, specially package managers makes everything easy for the average joe, too bad most people doesn't even know about linux or ubuntu except as a "technological" word.

>it has good software (photoshop, vegas, visual studio, etc.)
True and i respec completely this POV, however i don't like the idea of being married with one OS that's why i give priority to multi-platform software when possible. Also linux has a lot of nice software too (including proprietary) like krita, lightworks, kdenlive, davinci resolve or qt creator, while retaining the advantage of being able to change platforms at any time so no software provider can push any kind of bullshit on you (one reason why competition is important for users).

>it also has all the good pc games
True but consider linux has a +2000 games at the moment (and growing) and a lot of them are pretty good, you should check sites like steamdb.
https://steamdb.info/linux/
But yeah, if gaming is a priority windows is better thanks to third party support and game developers only optimizing (to be fair windows receives a lot of bad console ports too tho) for it, something that only can be fixed with a higher marketshare.

>most hardware has drivers for windows.
True, still i find that when hardware is properly supported on linux, the advantages of linux outweighs the ones of windows for me. The hardware support used to be meh back in 2010 but now is very decent to the point most hardware "just works". Still some gaming oriented hardware like razer's that needs an user-space application may not work fine.
>>
>>59455620
This may not be so farfetched in the near future, this is specially important considering windows 7 will not be supported anymore past 2020 and that most game engines support vulkan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pUWnVA5_CY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOQ5yli8u54
>>
>>59455463
Games, ease of use, availability of binaries.
I use linux only for programming and only on a VM.
>>
when I only had a desktop I used to dualboot win7 to do college assignments in MSOffice. Now that I have a laptop, my desktop is just gnu/linux and I now dualboot in laptop for college and work, MSOffice is pretty much the only thing installed in the win7.
>>
>>59455758
>>59455809
Holy shit how much does the FSF pay you?
>>
File: 200px-Mild-Bobby-Sauce.jpg (108KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
200px-Mild-Bobby-Sauce.jpg
108KB, 1152x864px
>>59455719
are you?
>>
File: 1488660139276.jpg (16KB, 547x480px) Image search: [Google]
1488660139276.jpg
16KB, 547x480px
After vault 7 made me pretty woke I was thinking console gaming is actually more secure but with todays systems all being so internet reliant it wouldnt be worth it. It's not like the old days of buying a game cart and plug and playing a fully complete game. As for computer gaming I tend to use GOG more then steam as its more friendly with a lot less DRM and nicely packaged installers with options of manual updating games so unlike most /v/ fags I actually buy games from GOG to support their better practices. However I have like 47 games on GOG and all of 4-5 of them run on linux. So as much as my love for windows has shrunk over the years I still keep it for that. I could pick up other hobbies but theres always that itch for a computer game here and there.
>>
>>59455463
because im not an autistic retard weeb manchild who think using a shitty hobbyos makes me special, lincuck
>>
>>59455842
So we can tolerate dozens of anti-linux threads and other kind of spammed threads where 7/10 of the time either microsoft,intel and nvidia are benefited but suddenly a pair of posts that provides an opposite opinion and actual information about the topic are considered shilling?
shamefur dispray dude.
>>
>>59455569
lol, this literally just happened to me 30 minutes ago.
>>
>>59455463
>Post legitimately good reasons why you still use Microsoft Windows

1. I don't have to patch my system via termainal window

2.I don't want to spend any time compiling my code.

3.I play games and yes its relevant suck it free tards.

4.Hardware just works out of the box on windows no need to do anything

5. Updates that stop dumb bugs.

6. don't have to talk to neckbeards in order to fix issues.

7. I can use any hardware and don't have to wait for linux patch.

8. gaming on linux sucks never again.
>>
Integration with OneDrive and Outlook. Muh games. I wish people could turn telemetry off, but personally I don't care about Microsoft watching me because I'm not doing anything illegal and all Microsoft does with telemetry is study the users so they know what to focus on in updates.
>>
>>59455514
>>59455580

The xilinx tools install and work just fine under linux. Both the older ISE and the newer Vivado ?sp?.

Microchip's tools install just fine too.

I use no windows tools for pcb,. fpga and microcontroller projects.
>>
>>59455899
>1. I don't have to patch my system via termainal window
yeah, you just rather have your system forcefully patch when you are in the middle of something, huh?

>2.I don't want to spend any time compiling my code.
???

>3.I play games and yes its relevant suck it free tards.
games are objectively irrelevant unless you are a professional living off of it

>4.Hardware just works out of the box on windows no need to do anything
most user-friendly distros have that happen as well

>5. Updates that stop dumb bugs.
???

>6. don't have to talk to neckbeards in order to fix issues.
>/g/ board
>can't fix issues by himself, even with things such as arch wiki

>7. I can use any hardware and don't have to wait for linux patch.
good for you

>8. gaming on linux sucks never again.
k
>>
>>59455851
I cant even..
>>
>>59455899
Do you mean update? There's a GUI for that in most user-oriented distros.

Just use a binary-oriented distro. Honestly compiling anything on windows is a PITA compared to linux so i get why the idea scares you the much.

see >>59455758

Not true in my own experience, in contrast you can even run a full session from the installation media on linux and installing the few common proprietary drivers like may be nvidia's or broadcom's can be done from a gui on distros like ubuntu without even touching the browser.

Mind to explain?

Well, honestly it's not like the windows "enthusiast" community can not be not considered neckbeards tho. Be honest, do you see any of this as some kind of tribal war where you use a criteria of "us vs them"?

Windows has better driver support thanks to it's marketshare, that's obvious but that dosen't mean drivers are never shipped without bugs or that all hardware works perfectly immediately, otherwise things like GPU drivers wouldn't have constant updates. I give you it's much less common to need to wait for proper support from certain companies tho (most of them includes support early).

You already mentioned gaming.
>>
File: 1477257276569.jpg (81KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1477257276569.jpg
81KB, 1024x1024px
>>59455899
This is pasta but relevant.
Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
https://steamdb.info/linux/
http://store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
https://www.youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
https://www.youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
https://www.youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
>>
Consistent quality support from the vast majority both 1st party and 3rd party software providers.
>>
File: nothing personal.png (54KB, 192x262px) Image search: [Google]
nothing personal.png
54KB, 192x262px
>>59455988
>t. I installed linux mint babby who thinks he is superior to thou cause I discovered muh Gahnoo linux for the first time

Either your a linux babby or a hardcore linux gentoofag who rices their desktop with their freetime as "fun"
>>
>>59455463
i must get a job, until then i can't use meme OSs
>>
Music production does not even exist on linux
>>
File: gentooricerfag.png (277KB, 1597x899px) Image search: [Google]
gentooricerfag.png
277KB, 1597x899px
>>59456056
i am neither, but your """"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""legitimately good reasons"""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" not to use gnu are plain retarded
>>
>>59455928
>Integration with OneDrive and Outlook.
There's a lot of cloud and mail services and clients available for linux but if you don't have option to not use a windows-only service for work i don't blame you.

>Muh games.
see >>59456028

>I wish people could turn telemetry off, but personally I don't care about Microsoft watching me because I'm not doing anything illegal and all Microsoft does with telemetry is study the users so they know what to focus on in updates.
At what point you guys stopped caring about being treated well by your software provider. Seriously, normally telemetry is recollecting information about performance and cases where a piece of software may misbehave. I don't mind telemetry as long they promise to not upload private information or info that can be to identify you and that only they'll collect relevant information for the purposes specify. This is not what the microsoft's privacy statement says tho, what microsoft does is far from being normal telemetry, they're abusing their users is various ways and milking them IMHO. That's why is always good to read the TOS people.

I have an android phone but the same way i ditched windows for a more respectful alternative i would ditch android for the same reasons.
>>
Well, for starters, I don't have to worry about my browser deciding it doesn't want to use my audio system.

Drivers in active development, instead of getting the table scraps.

Actually, >>59455494 sums it up pretty well.
>>
>>59455463
The architecture is designed to work on any hardware by means of a registry which is thousands of times better than config files. Only idiots screw it up. Linux takes too much time dealing with bullshit that doesn't work and is only good if you're connected to the internet 24/7
>>
>>59455463
I have over 400 hours in a Windows exclusive game.

I don't own a Mac and I need Xamarin.
>>
>>59456113
>uses chrome on windows 7 in 2017 and calls windows users cucks

fuck off
>>
>>59455463
>Cucks
>>>/global/rules/2
>>
>>59456046
>Consistent quality support from the vast majority both 1st party and 3rd party software providers.
It there exists a way to actually prove or disprove this statement? i have seen a lot of crappy software on windows, in fact that's one of the things that introduced me into open source software, i started to relate open source software with cost-free software i can usually trust and that will not bundle bullshit or show ads. Also at some point i was using more open source programs on windows than closed source ones like firefox instead of IE or 7-zip instead of winrar. Good times.
>>
My company's ERP solution requires it
>>
I use it for work, and make dat $$$.

Post a legitimately good reason why you aren't drinking at your local pub you fucking autist.
>>
>>59456170
where did I call anyone a cuck? are you projecting yourself?
>>
>>59455899
There's a GUI for that in 99% of distros.

2.I don't want to spend any time compiling my code.
There's literally less than 5 distros that require you to do this, ever.

3.I play games and yes its relevant suck it free tards.
Only point in your entire post

4.Hardware just works out of the box on windows no need to do anything
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

5. Updates that stop dumb bugs.
This makes no sense

6. don't have to talk to neckbeards in order to fix issues.
That's because the windows way of solving problems is reinstalling or restoring.

7. I can use any hardware and don't have to wait for linux patch.
See 4

8. gaming on linux sucks never again.
This again?
>>
>>59456113
>Windows 7 32-bit
>8GB Ram
HAHA, OH WOW
>>
>>59455463
For me there is little use for Windows outside a VM, I run Ubuntu both on my desktop and laptop with a Windows 8.1 VM if I need Windows only software.
Windows lacks a lot of basic features to be used as a primary OS, like setting a window on top for example.
>>
>>59456302
And Linux lacks a lot of basic features to be used as a primary OS, like proper HWA support, being able to use hotkeys when dialog windows or menus are open, support for smartphones or similar devices, or not shitting the bed when a driver crashes.
>>
Problems with linux that do not exist on windows:
1. Disk scheduling is bad. If I'm watching a movie and another task requires heavy disk usage it will cause the movie to glitch as the video player and the other program fight over disk usage.

2. Most programs are either made with GTK or QT and unfortunately it's noticeable which framework was used.

3. Windows boots much faster.

4. Screen tearing because of X limitations.

5. Dynamic linking being a problem when two different programs need the same but different version lib. This has always ended up forcing me to find the correct version, which almost always requires compiling, and then compiling the base program without installing it system wide and linking to it. It gets worse when this has to be done recursively.

6. Using a GUI to change settings is a lot faster and easier than command line. Available options can be shown each with a description of what it does. In comparison you need to look up in the manual for a conf file, assuming you know which manual, either wright it down or remember the config options, close the manual, open the conf file, make the changes, save it, and hope you didn't make any mistakes.

7. Windows community is generally friendly and willing to help with any problem that you may have. Linux is full of elitists that need to be autistic about everything and take every opportunity to dick measure. It's also full of weebs.

8. Most open source software can't compete with their proprietary counter parts. Those software tend to be windows exclusive and wine support can be a hit or a miss.
>>
I don't enjoy spending more than half the time fighting with my OS to get sound to work, or text to display correctly, or a driver to install, or fucking pick-a-thing
>>
>>59456420
>like proper HWA support
HWA means hardware? This has already been addressed in this thread.

>being able to use hotkeys when dialog windows or menus are open
Would you mind to explain a bit more and provide some examples?

>support for smartphones or similar devices
Would you mind to give more info? MTP has never worked correctly for me on linux but kdeconnect is a blessing, unless you provide more details i think the simple existance if kdeconnect negates your claim.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZV6ELP1Z1o

>or not shitting the bed when a driver crashes.
Honestly how often does this happens on linux? if you use supported hardware on stable distros this should not be a problem, at least not a common one unless there's a serious bug with that driver. Honestly i have found a lot more of problems with drivers on windows than linux under the same circumstances, hardware that is supposedly supported on versions of windows that are supposedly stable.
>>
It works great for all the shit I do (programming, gaming, web browsing, office work) and have been doing for years.
>>
File: 1489738058031.gif (2MB, 400x246px) Image search: [Google]
1489738058031.gif
2MB, 400x246px
I have a AMD Radeon graphics card which may be not supported by Ubuntu 16.04.
What should I do? Will upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10 or downgrading to 14.04 solve the issue? If yes, will it work as good as the graphics card works on Windows? Also will have to configure my computer or will the system work perfectly after upgrading or downgrading?

Am I damaging my computer by not using a OS supporting the graphics card?
Also my laptop takes like ~50 seconds to boot? Is that because of the incompatible graphics card?

Though I still think Win10 is badly coded and bloated.
>>
muh games
>>
File: 1467557003265s.jpg (3KB, 125x119px) Image search: [Google]
1467557003265s.jpg
3KB, 125x119px
>>59456420
You don't need to be upset Rajesh.
>>
>>59456190
erotic roleplay solution
that is one lewd company
>>
>>59456480
>1. Disk scheduling is bad.
Can you prove this? my experience has been pretty different.

>Most programs are either made with GTK or QT and unfortunately it's noticeable which framework was used.
For me programs on windows often look alien because third parties often doesn't follow any kind of guideline. This may be true on linux but on it at least most programs tries to follow the gtk theme and the icon theme. Hell, just look at windows 10, it has different menus and application styles among the programs bundled with it. Also, there's themes that can provide a mostly consistent looking among gtk and qt applications like breeze or arc. If you care about consistency you shouldn't be using windows in the forst place.

>3. Windows boots much faster.
Are you referring to the fast boot thing? It's a good feature but it may cause problems over the time that can only be fixed by a proper restart, for example the wifi was not being able to connect for computer in my house, a restart fixed it. The average joe is the most affected one by this.

>4. Screen tearing because of X limitations.
True, it's fixable in almost all cases but it would be good to never have tearing ootb.

>5. Dynamic linking being a problem when two different programs need the same but different version lib.
Usually the package managers usually takes care of this and there's self contained packages similarly to windows when this is not the case. Also there's things like LD_PRELOAD in the worst case (see how the steam runtime works for example). Do i need to remind you guys about winsxs?
>>
I don't have root access to my work computer.
>>
>>59456480
>6. Using a GUI to change settings is a lot faster and easier than command line.
There's usually a gui for most things on linux.

>In comparison you need to look up in the manual for a conf file, assuming you know which manual, either wright it down or remember the config options, close the manual, open the conf file, make the changes, save it, and hope you didn't make any mistakes.
This is usually only necessary for server-like programs that are not directed to the average joe anyway (having a hard dependency on a GUI when on a server is shitty), even for those there exists GUI applications to manage them. Honestly the situation for this used to be a lot worse on windows, at least on linux you can access the manuals easily. For this kind of thing is why microsoft introduced the bash for windows 10.

>7. Windows community is generally friendly and willing to help with any problem that you may have. Linux is full of elitists that need to be autistic about everything and take every opportunity to dick measure. It's also full of weebs.
Does the pc master race doesn't count as windows users because they're one of the most hostile communities. Also you just need to look at this board to be proved wrong. There's no need to be intellectually dishonest.

>8. Most open source software can't compete with their proprietary counter parts. Those software tend to be windows exclusive and wine support can be a hit or a miss.
Depends on the area but yeah, one of the strengths of windows is the availability of certain professional software, which is something that often makes linus less viable for the people with a hard dependency on one of those programs but hardly says anything about the quality of the OS IMO.
>>
>>59456480
>8. Most open source software can't compete with their proprietary counter parts.
One last thing. There's open source software that is widely used on industry, also remember there's a lot of professional proprietary software on linux, the following is pasta but provides examples of people working on linux or programs available for it:
Kicad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
http://cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
>>
>>59456831
Freecad Demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
https://youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
http://www.sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
http://www.peppercarrot.com/
>>
Shitty drivers, desu. Dual monitor extended display doesn't work ever since I got a new AMD GPU, and I have to manually restart network services every boot to get WiFi card to work. Would've stuck around if the displays were actually detected and not cloned.
>>
Post legitimately good reasons why you still waste time shitposting, especially on /g/.

Explain yourselves, right now, you shit-brained mouth-breathing mongoloids.
>>
>>59456863
Holy shit word filters are back?
>>
File: asdfg.png (1MB, 1172x1416px) Image search: [Google]
asdfg.png
1MB, 1172x1416px
>>59456891
Pretty sure they were never deactivated.
>>
Honestly, I haven't put the time to finding all the alternative programs for Linux. I have Arch dual booted on my x220, but I still need to set it up exactly the way I like it.

For now, Windows still feels more like 'home'.
>>
I use Windows 7 and haven't enabled updates since they starting adding that spyware shit
>>
Installing it would delete all my data
>>
>>59455463
-Adobe products
-Games
-Drivers that actually work
-Gotten acquainted with the OS and have no real reason to switch (only reason would be to support FOSS, at the cost of my convenience...)
>>
Im a music producer, use FL Studio, also am in a large skype community and Skype for linux is a joke
>>
>>59455463
I can turn off the bad parts of windows, but I can't turn off the bad parts of linux or mac os.
>>
>>59455463
For the games.

Its a windows thing. You wouldn't understand. Freetard.
>>
>>59455463
it lacks some features I had when I used Linux Mint for a few months, but it has AAA games I wanted to play and as long as you aren't a retard (40 tabs open without some sort of extension to put ones you dont use into a sleep mode)performance is fine.
>>
>>59455988
>>59456017
>>59456028
>>59456253
>Muh freetard feelings.
>>
>>59457156
Literally wut? Are you >>59455899?
>>
File: 220px-Tux.jpg (5KB, 81x90px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Tux.jpg
5KB, 81x90px
>>59455569
>>
>>59455463
games, better software, drivers, don't have to waste hours of my life tinkering with stupid shit
>>
File: Nuts-Mascots[1].png (445KB, 555x422px) Image search: [Google]
Nuts-Mascots[1].png
445KB, 555x422px
>software

/thread
>>
>>59455463
Sound quality.

I fucking hate how music sounds on Ubuntu. It feels like empty or hollow. Also, when I'm watching movies I can barely hear the dialogs while in Windows sound pretty good.
>>
>>59455514
Do you know about Wine?
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 583x549px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 583x549px
Laziness
>>
>>59455463
muh g-sync
>>
>>59457401
Wine isn't a cure all. Altera's ModelSim does not work in Wine. And what's even worse is they make ModelSim for Linux, but works like shit. People just don't really care about supporting Linux unfortunately.
>>
>>59455494
Logisim
>>
>>59457441
Also, LTSpice works flawlessly in Wine. I use it for all my labs. I know some people on /g/ hate LTSpice, though.
>>
Certain software.
Familiarity.
I haven't bothered to understand bootloaders or GRUB2. In no position to end up with a non-operational system.
>>
Familiarity, software such as SolidWorks or other CAD suites, some games (although a large part of the games I own on Steam have Linux ports), hardware compatibility, et cetera.

I would really kill for someone to make a Linux distro that can also interpretate Windows assembly and architecture.
>>
I keep my gaming stuff over on it. I rarely use it, so it may as well not be in the main space.

I like having something to fall back on in case something goes wrong in Linux. (this was back when I first got into Linux and was stupid enough to fuck it up pretty badly.) Nowadays it isn't needed for that, but it's a nice 2nd option.
>>
>>59457602
>can also interpretate Windows assembly and architecture.
So wine / mono.
>>
>>59455463
best UI
best games
best IDEs
... best everything except shell
>>
This thread is boring.
>>
>>59456831
ugh, lightworks is paid
>>
G A M E S
A
M
E
S
>>
File: Think.png (547KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Think.png
547KB, 600x800px
>>59457035
This. But which is better? LMMS, Ableton Live or FL Studio? LMMS is like FL Studio, but it's not that powerful.
>>
>>59455463
Still using Win7 for graphics stuff. However, Krita and hopefully Wayland would most likely fix this.

Yes, "muh gaymz". They work better and have better modding support.

Printing documents requires Windows, no matter what.

My last point is my Uni requiring me to use Windows for various stuff. I, however, hope that I can make this go away in about 3 years.
>>
i don't, ubuntu MATE is my OS of choice. i have a dedicated windows drive but it's my secondary operating system used only for gaming and any other software that will not run on ubuntu
>>
Overwatch
>>
>>59455463

I'm poor and stupid.
>>
>>59456159
Well, that’s a pain to edit, ever needed to use regedit to tweak just a little thing? Ever tried to edit it not using Win? (’cause it got broken or whatever)
>>
File: bawww_small2.png (98KB, 800x764px) Image search: [Google]
bawww_small2.png
98KB, 800x764px
Because I use Linux at work. I get paid to write code in Linux.

But trying to use Linux at home feels like I'm bringing work home with me. So at home I use the operating system that's the farthest away from Linux: Windows 7. Even OS X (being a BSD derivative) feels too close.

What if I used Windows at work? Would I then use Linux at home? Maybe. I used both Linux and Windows at home extensively before, now it has been reduced to just Windows.

I also used to write lots of code on my spare time, but since I got this job, I have written less than 100 lines of code outside of the work. I just can't do it anymore. All my programming projects are completely halted at the moment. I've had to find other things to do at home. I've slowly started playing games and reading books again, the latter being something I didn't do for years.

I have zero intention of using Windows 10, so I don't know what I'll do after 7 goes away.

I don't like how things turned this way, but I have to pay the bills somehow.

That's why.
>>
>>59455463
My university makes me run simulations using software that isn't really available on non-Windows systems. Even if they are, nobody's looking for the alternatives.

Does Windows make you angry or something?
>>
because literally everything caters to windows and MacOS

actually its becoming that everything caters to android and ios and windows is actually in a really tight spot when it comes to operating systems
>>
>>59457043
Funny, from my experience, it’s more like the opposite on Linux, like, don’t like that desktop, let’s use something else, don’t like that program, use another, fork it, or use someone else fork. It’s up to you. With Windows, you’re screwed, you got one and only one desktop, so if you don’t like it, you’re screwed (remember Win8?)

some example of Linux desktops (some are OS X though)
https://www.reddit.com/r/unixporn/top/?sort=top&t=all

Don’t know how it is on OS X, though.
>>
>>59457401

Why not just use windows? There's literally no reason to add an unnecessary layer of complexity to my work load by using wine.
>>
>>59455865
Just stop playing video games you autistic manchild
>>
>>59455463
Windows and OSX will never be topped as a desktop OS. Windows and OSX are driven by economic incentives. Linux is a hobby side project OS. It doesn't have the same driving force and therefore can't compete. If you don't understand what I'm talking about you're either too young or have never been in the work force before.
>>
File: image.jpg (535KB, 641x4513px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
535KB, 641x4513px
>>59455463
>>
>>59459750
ubuntu sucks
>>
>>59459750
I use it at work because about 80% of the systems we support, including servers, are windows based. I can get by using Royal TS for everything else at work. But at home, I don't use it.
>>
>>59459572
>ever needed to use regedit to tweak just a little thing?

no
>>
Visual Studio is the only reason.
>>
Gaming
Battery performance (for some reason it's worse on Linux than on Windows for my Laptop)
I need Office for school
>>
>>59459750
>>59459766

my bad, didn't mean to quote you there. Running on auto pilot over here.
>>
>>59455555
pentiples can't lie
>>
>>59455463
>in the year 2k17
>literally being some inane linux autist thinking "gaming" is not a good enough reason to stick with a real PC OS, not some server OS
>>
Visual Studio
Games
Non-shit audio without equalizer
Chrome/Firefox that runs at full speed and wouldn't run faster if placed in wine
>>
>>59455469
Pretty much this is the only reason and I'm fucking lazy as fuck.
Give me a computer and I'm likely to spend 90% of the time on it browsing 4chan, watching movies, or playing games.
>>
Because it literally just works.
>>
Because I need it for work and games, as simple as that. Also it has come a long way since 7.
>>
All Tue games I play are supported and there are no bugs. Everything just works fine.
>>
>>59455463
because its better than other operating systems
>>
File: af9.jpg (179KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
af9.jpg
179KB, 768x1024px
>>59455463
cause i'm not a guillable autist who would install linux cause some fat neckbeard from /g/ suggested it
>>
>>59459572
Not outside of work, because I don't install shit software on my computer. There are plenty of good registry cleaning programs as well if you're conserned about"muh memory".
>>
>>59455463
Games and that's about it

I like the window snap feature too, but almost every distro has it
>>
>>59455988
>yeah, you just rather have your system forcefully patch when you are in the middle of something, huh?

No my PC auto boots at 16:00 every day and turns off at 07:00

I haven't seen updates for my machine in over a year
>>
Have fun trying to make an official console SDK work on a Linux.
>>
>>59455463

Adobe CS6
Fortunately, MacOS still fully supports it.
>>
I use Adobe products regularly as well as like to play an odd game of Overwatch and Heroes of Might and Magic III.
>>
>>59455463
I've tried Linux, but I'm too dumb for it
It's not even for the vidya anymore, it used to be though, I'd like to switch but I don't understand anything
>>
File: gaymes.png (144KB, 1059x552px) Image search: [Google]
gaymes.png
144KB, 1059x552px
>>59455463
vidya games
>>
>>59462904
>I don't understand anything
for example? Just curious.
>>
>>59455463
systemd free
>>
>>59455463
need 2 use excel
>>
>>59455463
Video Games
also too autistic to understand how to make a comfy DE I give up everytime
>>
at least it's not made by apple. I'm willing to cuck myself, but only to microsoft. I use linux on my dev machine of course, but I need a windows entertainment PC at home.
>>
With that attitude Im pretty much sure that you would scold off everything I would say but since you want to know so badly, its pretty simple:

1) Everything I need works, the only situation when something refused to work and /g/ had no idea why, was when I tried running software made in Pascal on Windows 8.1 - it worked flawlessly on 7 and 10, for some reason.
2) Its comfortable and easy in use - the only time I needed some guidance was when I had to configure group policies in 10, but MS Technet provided answer after 5 minutes of searching.
3) Windows line is top priority for most devs and that ensure that OS Im using will be equally compatible with software as its now.
4) Related with 1) - while every program I needed so far worked on Windows, I cant say the same about Linux - in fact, when I was testing two distros (Mint and Kubuntu), I had frequent problems with different software running under Wine. I decided that wasting time on that would be pointless, since I have Windows.
5) I dont have to pay for any edition of Windows I have, due to student status and my university vrsion of EULA states that I only have to be a student at the moment of getting the key (and of course - no commercial use).
6) Games. Nuff said.

tldr: Windows "just werks", Mac is too expensive option to even try, none of tried Linux distros worked fine outside browsing internet and ricing. Most of "open source" counterparts to paid software is either shit, poor or non-existing (try to find replacement for Origin from OriginLabs).
>>
CAD/CAM software.

It's retarded to restrict yourself when both Windows and Linux are free and most useful apps are free to torrent. I usually run Linux hosts with Windows VMs.

Running an OS is not supporting an OS. Unless you donate money or code, you don't matter. I don't and don't care. It's all about me.
>>
File: 1489757099316.png (245KB, 1465x1209px) Image search: [Google]
1489757099316.png
245KB, 1465x1209px
/g/, I need someone to tell me how to get an installation of Solus going. Can anyone recommend a site or wiki to help me get going? Never used Solus before so this is kind of new.

>inb4 install gentoo
Lol.
>inb4 install arch
I have tried arch before and installed myself, good OS, but I find Solus more interesting.
>>
I
T

J
U
S
T

W
E
R
K
S

Literally nothing else to say.
>>
>>59463207
install ubuntu
>>
>>59455463
>you still use Microsoft Windows
I don't.
>>
>>59462974
Uhm, I often have problems with simple things like installing something from a batch script, for example
>>
>>59455463
I don't have to explain shit to you, faggot
The fuck you think you are
>>
>>59455463
>legitimately good reasons why you still use Microsoft Windows
I banked about 160,000 of them last fiscal year.

Also gaymes.
>>
>>59455463
Linux doesn't work well on my laptop.
>>
Synaptics touchpad driver sucks on linux.
>>
>>59462904
oo-boon-too, my friend
i taught my grandmother how to use ubuntu in an hour, there's gui for everything you don't need to ever launch terminal if you don't want
just google everything/ hit up askubuntu.com where i guarantee your questions are already answered
>>
it's the only thing i've ever used and it has all the same programs i've ever used and i'm too lazy to try anything else.
>>
>>59455899
>>1. I don't have to patch my system via termainal window
>muh scary terminal meme
what?
so do I on linux
like with linux it depends on the hardware
linux updates stop bugs too
I've never had to talk to anyone to fix any issue I've ran into on linux
install windows 7 on a raspberry pi then
give examples
>>
>>59455809
Just wondering, when will 8's support end?
>>
>>59455463
I feel like a lot of /g/uys lives would be much simpler and easier if they just used windows but there never going to admit because they are elitists
>>
>>59464362
I admit it'd be simpler but IMO it wouldn't be better
>>
File: superwizard.png (588KB, 1271x708px) Image search: [Google]
superwizard.png
588KB, 1271x708px
>>59456170
>>59456294
>shill gets btfo and resorts to insulting anon's beautiful shitbox
honestly, commit sudoku
>>
>>59463814
Lets look at a C application.
int main(int argc, char* argv[]){
}

There is an argument counter (argc) and an array of arguments (argv) the application can use.
Applications are run by you giving the name of the application followed by the arguments.
The application used to install something is called a package manager.
The application is different on each distribution.
On ubuntu, the application is called apt.
Here are some examples:
apt update #updates the cache
apt upgrade #upgrades all packages you have installed.
apt search <package> #searches for a package
apt install <package> #installs a package
apt remove <package> #removes a package.

You need root privileges to do this, so most users write "sudo" infront of these commands, but you can also switch user to root and run the commands.

It might fail if you request a package that is not available, say the version number is part of the package name or the package have been renamed.
The solution is often to use the update to get a new list of packages.
>>
>>59464240

>>6. don't have to talk to neckbeards in order to fix issues.
>I've never had to talk to anyone to fix any issue I've ran into on linux
>>7. I can use any hardware and don't have to wait for linux patch.
>install windows 7 on a raspberry pi then

Sounds like your the neckbeard to me. So point 6 you made is invalid.
>>
>>59464362
>my use case must the the same for all users.
For me Ubuntu is really a lot simpler to use than Windows, better shortcut customization, Autokey is Python based so I don't have to mess with obscure Lua scripts with AHK, workspaces, window position fixing, top window, software updated automatically, top-tier font rendering OOTB, native LLVM and GCC stack support, HUD, better TeX environment.
I could go on but I see you have some pretty hard bias towards Windows so you won't change your emotional based response.
Please stay on Windows if it fits your needs.
>>
>>59464442
>Sounds like your the neckbeard to me
I've been using linux since January after a life of windows, I don't program and installing linux was the second time I've installed an OS so I doubt I'm a neckbeard
>>
>>59455842
>gives a fair and reasonable response
>z0MG SHILL
I don't get it
>>
File: 1486133631368-pol.jpg (48KB, 700x520px) Image search: [Google]
1486133631368-pol.jpg
48KB, 700x520px
>>59455463
Games that's it. I have a msi gaming x gtx1060 and a 6700k with the asus sabertooth z170 s.
Does my pc support gpu passthrough?

PLEASE REPLY. I want to run Linux but be able to use my many windows 8.1 programs and games.
>>
>>59464362
I used to think this and tried using my W8 disc to upgrade to 10. Once I upgraded to 10, my computer kept crashing every time I logged in, not even giving me a chance at diagnostics. So I took the disc and installed it on my laptop, but then I couldn't validate the key because it was tied to the desktop. Called Microsoft, they sent me a link via text, I followed the steps, then it said:
>Whoops, you cannot use this license for more than one computer!
Then the window closed on me. I only wanted Windows on one computer, so I would've been fine if it gave me the option to deactivate the key on my desktop. The terms and usages of Microsoft's products are a huge pain in the ass, I'd rather spend the extra 10 minutes it takes me to figure out how to do something on Ubuntu that I'd normally do on Windows. Luckily for me, all the tools that are used for comp e stuff is supported by Linux anyways.
>>
Mr. Gates the Third
>>
>>59464558
I believe it's possible, in theory you need 2 GPUs, one for Linux and the other for the Windows VM, try to find if you can set the iGPU for Linux and your vidya card for Linux.
>>
File: 1489186724648.jpg (63KB, 817x857px) Image search: [Google]
1489186724648.jpg
63KB, 817x857px
>>59464560
>paying for windows
>>
>>59458811
I prefer ableton, but fl studio is pretty intuitive.
>>
Any of you faggots running 8.1 know how to fix the stupid windows update service eating CPU and taking hours to find updates?

Or should I just disable updates and be done with it?

ISO has updates up to January 2017 so should be fine I guess?
>>
>>59464580
Yeah I heard about people using the igpu and it working fine but I have a 75hz 1440p screen. I don't know if the Intel gpu can handle it. I have a spare GT240 sitting around but it lacks display port. Also how do I switch between the 2? Do I have to unplug the cable from the gpu to the motherboard?
>>
>>59464699
You can't fix it I've tried, disable the windows update service and windows installer module.
>>
>>59464699
Dude just disable it in the reg. I'm running 8.1 Enterprise due to getting free keys from work.
>>
>>59464731
Yes, many people who do this also run dual monitos setups, and Intel iGPUs have come a long way, I think they will be able to handle that res.
>>
>>59464629
>using botnet illegal download
>not using organization windows keys
>>
>>59464734
>>59464751
do you guys get updates from elsewhere after disabling or don't bother about it?
>>
>>59464899
Microsoft is more of an ads company now, I really don't bother updating since it might as well be more adware of forced changes.
But then again I only use Windows in a partition for vidya, also a VM in my laptop for Office work
>>
>>59464899
If I get a crash of some sort like a program asking for a .NET update I just google the code or whatever and find the update package on Microsoft's site. They provide update packages.

It's really a pain in the ass. I have the hardware to set up gpu passthrough from linux. I've been running Linux fully on my laptops for years now I'm planning on fully commiting to a Linux desktop with a windows vm + gpu passthrough.

Dear god I hope it works solidly.
>>
>>59464957
>>59464981
Good enough, I've been downloading updates manually on 10 since released, but I just can't stand that shit anymore, that's why I chose 8.1. Works fine and everything you don't want is easily disabled.
>>
>>59455463
games
>>
>>59464416
what anime?
>>
File: 1489536419539-pol.png (294KB, 573x273px) Image search: [Google]
1489536419539-pol.png
294KB, 573x273px
>>59465031
Yeah Windows 8/.1 is is hot trash without programs like classic shell. Running Windows lately is like pic related.

Windows 10 has me very concerned about the future of the pc desktop. Linus and Valve saw this coming.
>>
To spite little faggots like you
>>
>>59455463
I'm too dumb and lazy to learn how to use gnu/linux. I mean, I found it too complicated for me to use on daily basis. All I do is watch anime and play video games
>>
>>59465078
I believe that was ghost in the shell 3 according to the anon who first posted it
>>
>>59455463
It's my job to sell products that have windows on them as their primary operating system so I kinda need to know how to use it. I transition between w10 and debian depending on what I'm trying to do tho.
>>
>>59455494
>Office suite is objectively better
I've used both Microsoft Word and Libreoffice Writer and I don't see much of a difference between them anymore in terms of functionality. No two versions of Microsoft Word will display a docx file the same; there are always weird issues. LibreOffice doesn't open docx files particularly well, but you shouldn't be distributing docx files unless every one is using the same editor. You really should use Latex.

I don't see much of a difference between Excel and LibreOffice Calc either.

>Photoshop
GIMP is great. It's the EMACS of image editors.

>Nvidia drivers
What is the difference between Nvidia drivers on Windows and Linux?

>Gaming
A lot of games work on Linux now and Wine is actually pretty good now.

If you want to play new games, you're pretty fucked on Linux though.
>>
>>59466476
>Ms office
>Libre
Stop using memes and use wps office for linux.
>>
>>59455899
>I don't have to patch my system via termainal window
I prefer to open Windows 7 updater, wait 4 hours for it to search for updates, then click the download updates button.

>I don't want to spend any time compiling my code.
>Updates that stop dumb bugs.
Download a decent distro and these won't be problems

>Hardware just works out of the box on windows no need to do anything
I have never had a computer's LAN or Audio drivers work out of the box on Windows. Wireless drivers sometimes work out of the box on Windows. Graphics drivers always need to be downloaded.
>>
>>59466566
>nonfree trash
nah
>>
>>59455569
what
>>
>>59466476
Proprietary NVidia drivers on Linux are unstable, and nouveau uses the card less efficiently and doesn't support reclocking on all cards (so you are stuck at tiny power-saving clock frequency).
>>
>>59467271
>Proprietary NVidia drivers on Linux are unstable
I was not aware of this. They've run pretty well for me.

I don't get any more graphics driver based system crashes on Linux than Windows. Some part of my computer's hardware is dying, so this happens about once a week.

> nouveau uses the card less efficiently
Yeah that's unfortunate. They also only support up to OpenGL 4.1, which is annoying. Interestingly, OSX also only supports up to OpenGL 4.1 for some reason.
I looked at some benchmarks and kepler was only about 20% worse than Nvidia. Not good, but better than I was expecting.

>doesn't support reclocking on all cards (so you are stuck at tiny power-saving clock frequency)
Is that why the GTX 900 series performed so badly with nouveau drivers? Have they fixed that yet?
>>
>>59455463
>>59455476
It really is a great experience.
>>
>>59455463
Vidya, WINE sucks, motherboard is just slightly too old for PCI passthrough.
>>
>>59467602
I've had a pretty good experience with recent versions of Wine on older games.
>>
I'm too dumb to make Linux work as I'd want and am too poor for glorious Macintosh system.

That's the literal truth. I don't like using Windows but I have to.
>>
>>59455463
Every computer of mine which still has a parallel port has windows (ranging from 7 all the way back to a DOS floppy) on it.

>ancient programmers i still use work in DOS/win9k environments
>No good support for special parallel printers like novex 10x5 label printers
>All my Publisher documents are handled with Office 2003, and even if i could get it to work on linux, there's still that Wine <-> LPT communication thing to solve
>Can map virtual ports pretty easily
>All drivers are available
When i tried installing xubuntu on my old laptop i found out there was literally no wlan driver available ever, even using... what was it, NDISWrapper? didn't help me.
>Most of the issues i encounter may have already been found and a fix is available
There's no bigger rage than finding obscure issues and no known documentation of the error codes.
And, something very overlooked,
>User friendly

If i need linux software / demanding gaymes i use my linux laptop.
>>
>>59455463
3DS MAX
>>
adobe after effects, sony vegas, photoshop, premiere, and cinema 4d
>>
>>59464440
I don't know if you're still in this thread, but this has been useful, thanks for taking the time
>>
>>59455463
>Post legitimately good reasons why you still use Microsoft Windows
it's not linux is a good place to start
>>
>>59455463

No support for my shitty Razer Naga which Linux automatically detects as a keyboard. That's it.
>>
File: 1436501565262.jpg (45KB, 409x409px) Image search: [Google]
1436501565262.jpg
45KB, 409x409px
>>59470843
>mfw my Lolgitec G402 works OOTB and I use the extra buttons to control expose and workspaces.
>>
File: 1489705748554.jpg (36KB, 450x330px) Image search: [Google]
1489705748554.jpg
36KB, 450x330px
Video games. That it. Are AMD cards still complete ass on ubuntu? That and changing desktop environments seems like such a hassle. Gnome 3.0 sucks and open box + tint2 seems like a bitch to properly configure.
>>
>>59459586
I'm pretty much in this boat as well. I'm not interested in 10 or the inevitable Windows as a service bullshit.
>>
Because it's less distracting. Since I can't waste much time in it on ricing or admiring the "pweety", it makes me more productive.

I actually get shit done.

It has all the commercial-grade software I need for every task I need. And I don't have to worry about any issues with hardware or software compatibility, it works with anything on the market that hasn't just been released yesterday.

It's great that after work I can also play natively any game I want.
>>
>>59472826
>Since I can't waste much time in it on ricing or admiring the "pweety", it makes me more productive.
This is how I know you're new. The desktop ricing threads as late as 2011 had windows ricing all over them.
>>
Desktop & 2 Portables - Windows 7. Cause it just works well for me and my gf.

Server - Windows Home Server 2011. Backs up the client pcs, streams all my media to all dnla devices, remote access. Just works man.
>>
What the fuck is so bad about windows other than the botnet?

I got choco for windows based package management. apt-get for linux based package management with WSL. All major game engines (that's my field) are either PC first or have strong support for it. Windawesome if I need a window manager. Powershell for object based piping rather than text based piping. I can use vim in WSL or with neovim qt/gvim. Emacs same scenario.

I don't use VS though, currently trying out Rider. So far liking it but yeah, still Early Access Preview.

I don't even fucking game all that much anymore, but if I wanted to, I have proper drivers for my 980m GTX SLI
>>
>>59456863
You can use arandr and set a startup script to config your monitors automatically.
Mint has a friendly GUI for startup scripts.
>>
>>59455463
Because of compatibilities and workability of engineering software.
>>
>>59472175
The latest open source drivers are going head to head with AMD's proprietary ones.
The prop ones are easier to install though.
Generally AMD is much better on Linux.

You can get XFCE, wicked fast and comfy over time. Cinnamon for "I don't want to customize my shit just have it ready to go, look good, and make sense."
>>
>>59465086
>Valve saw this coming.
How so? What steps are they taking to avert the coming crisis?

>>59464981
It's flawless.
Windows 8 has horrendous performance issues under it.
7 is golden.
10 is for full support at the cost of not being able to use the OS for anything other than gaymen.
>>
>>59472855
There's no such thing as Windows ricing, let's get real. Changing your wallpaper is not ricing.
>>
File: 1484857772038.png (168KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1484857772038.png
168KB, 400x400px
>>59472989
You can rice anything you want you dumb twat.
>>
File: this is a linux desktop.webm (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
this is a linux desktop.webm
1MB, 1920x1200px
>>59472989
>Changing your wallpaper is not ricing.
You really don't know a thing about ricing, and before you say rainmeter, no, that is babby tier ricing. It barely scratches the surface.
Some people make their windows function in such a way that it doesn't feel like windows anymore, but a bastard child across all operating systems. Ricing isn't just about looks, it's about extending or creating user based functionality that wasn't there to begin with.
>>
>>59455463
AutoCAD and Photoshop.
>>
>>59472986
SteamOS, and that console thing they were apparently working on.
>>
>>59473558
SteamOS is a debian fork, it's nothing, even /g/ could do that if faggots got paid. Until Valve pulls in more than one real linux developer their attempt at counterattacking Microsoft is going to die in the vine.
>>
>>59455463

Linux is communist, I hate communism.
>>
Try playing obsolete +10 years old japanese games on anything that isn't Windows. Protip: you can't. Sure, some of them work, but most don't.
>but muh VM!
If you need to use Windows on a VM to play a single fucking tiny game, why not just run Windows itself?
>>
>>59455463
I don't
>>
>>59466476
Many college professors require that assignments are turned in using a docx extension because they get Microsoft 365 for free. Because of this, many of us need compatibility with docx.
>>
File: 1487761534111.png (104KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1487761534111.png
104KB, 450x300px
>>59455463
Because it quite literally "just werks".

>Be average anon that wants to program, engage in some hobbies and play video games
>I want to program
>OS I could use: Linux, MacOS, Windows
>Ok, I want to get into music production, drawing and 3D modeling as hobbies of interest
>OS I could use: Mac OS, Windows
>OS I could use if I want to jump through several hoops only to find myself using a mediocre freeware clone of a better product due to no support: Linux
>I want the full library of video games accessable to me on PC
>OS I could use: Windows
>OS I could use if I don't want the best performance possible and cut the amount of video games accessable to me by more then half just cause: MacOS, Linux
>I want to browse my anime and hentai collection without fear of botnet or backdoor exploits
>OS I could use: N/A

You get the picture.
>>
>>59475817
>N/A
TempleOS?
openBSD?
>>
>>59455480
>still on msn
y tho
>>
>>59475838
>implying Terry doesn't secretly have his own backdoor to make sure your not a nigger
>>
>muh operating system debate
kys
>>
>>59455463
I tried using Linux in university but the office suites weren't compatible enough with Microsoft's and I ended up looking retarded in front of everyone else, not to mention wasting their time. Also, I didn't have time to learn CLI tools so I had to use GUI stuff and it all feels like the ugliest fisher-price crap compared to Windows.

I'm trying to install Gentoo though, now that I've graduated and don't need a stable computer anymore. It's pretty fun stuff.
>>
>>59455463
I'm not doing anything on windows that i couldn't do on a *nix-like operating system.

I'm just to lazy to switch to GNU/Linux again.
>>
>>59455463
Because I prefer windows.
>>
> they are so literally mentally deficient that they can't protect themselves from windows 10
at least run antibeacon and ooshutup10 you stupid faggot.
>>
>>59455463
3ds max
>>
>>59455463
I use vista.
>>
>>59455494
>Office suite is objectively better
As a Windows user, I have to disagree. LibreOffice/OpenOffice is better.
>>
>>59455463

video games for my desktop, but i run Debian on my laptop and love it

>b-but linux has games

mostly older stuff and indie shit
>>
>>59455730
This is true. CAD on Linux is a joke.
>>
>>59464539
Calling him a shill is the joke. He's making fun of everyone calling Microsoft supporters shills
>>
I want to play Forza Horizon 3.
That's pretty much it.
>>
>>59455463
because my company still use it a lot. I have several VMs on microsoft just so I can emulate deploying to the actual server.
>>
>>59455558
>You are move
>>
File: 54.png (230KB, 480x456px) Image search: [Google]
54.png
230KB, 480x456px
>>59455463
gaymes and daws i guess? this piece of shit keeps updating by force and there's nothing i can do about it, it really does feel like a cuck os.
>>
File: 2017-03-12_21-30-24.png (2MB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-12_21-30-24.png
2MB, 1360x768px
>>59480707
i would play fh3 but holy shit if this isn't the shittiest port ever, my hardware should be able to run this game at mid-high, and it does. but it stutters like a bitch, i wish i was joking, in surfers paradise the game was literally unplayable. fucking hell.
>>
games and netflix
>>
>>59459726
here's your (You)
>>
>>59480669
>it was merely an act.
>>
>>59481120
If you want to use linux check bitwig. Also there's already +2000 games on Linux. Unless you actually have a hard dependency on a windows-only game don't fall for the people who uses the "if it's available for linux then is thrash" logic.
>>
>>59481173
The performance could be better, certainly. I've been playing since launch and a lot of the stuttering has been fixed since - I played it a couple days ago and didn't hit a single stutter on medium settings when it was barely playable at launch

a lot of it has to do with the encryption

970/i5
>>
>>59481366
I'm using Linux and watching Netflix on it right now. At the moment Netflix only allows to watch Netflix on xhome on Linux but any browser that can install or provide the widevine den module should allow you to watt Netflix, for example spoofing the firefox's user string.
>>
>>59475863
>>59455480

Messenger has been discontinued/shut down for years now.

0/10 old screenshot.
>>
adobe flash professional, better battery life than on linux (optimizing didnt work), i need to use dx7 on games because laptop is slow, and i like how it looks
if it makes you feel better OP, i use unupdated windows 7
>>
Games, Hyper-V, active directory. Still love Linux though
>>
File: renoise.png (108KB, 1054x876px) Image search: [Google]
renoise.png
108KB, 1054x876px
>>59458811
Renoise
>>
I need to get shit done

If i were a useless neet i guess i would've time to autistically rice my desktop while roleplaying tech support and struggling to find a worse software alternative for everything
>>
>specialty engineering and analysis software only for Windows (literally my entire work)

>No alternative to MS office especially with good integration for reference manager

>Adobe suit

>Drivers actually work like they should and aren't utterly broken
>>
>>59485124
This

I use Linux, I would even go as far as to say I like it better than windows. But come on your main OS is windows if you have a real job, or macOS if you have a "I do freelance part time web design from home" job. You cannot main any Linux distro unless you are in high school or unemployed
Thread posts: 257
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.