[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Got an unused heatsink with pre-applied thermal paste like pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

Got an unused heatsink with pre-applied thermal paste like pic related. The thing is 8 years old.. will the paste be fine to use as-is?

Also got a 5 year old tube of Arctic Silver 5. What about that?
>>
put the arctic silver 5 on the cpu and use the pre-applied paste just to be safe
>>
>>59454817

Won't that be too much >_>

>just to be safe

Safe from what exactly? Hardened/non-viscous pre-applied paste?
>>
>>59454708
I wouldn't risk it, what are you going to use it for?
>>
>>59455131
He's fucking with you. in my opinion I'd wipe the preapplied paste off the heatsink with something non abrasive but not paper, so an old cotton shirt or something, and just use a pea sized amount of the tube stuff. In all honesty though just get new fresh paste, it's never more than $12 or so man.
>>
>>59455140

If you want to know, this is the exact use case:

Have:
-1366 i7-920 (130 TDP) build with an Arctic Cooling Freezer Xtreme Rev 2 (160 TDP). This rig is not being used for anything remotely strenuous currently
-Unused i7-920 stock heatsink (unknown TDP)
-FM2+ A8-6600k (65 TDP) build with AMD stock APU cooler (unknown TDP). This rig is used for gaming currently.

The A8-6600k stock cooler as a goddamn 60mm fan and sounds like a Boeing at full load. I want to replace it with the underutilized Freezer Xtreme 2 so I can have some semblance of quiet, at load. Will then install the never-used i7-920 stock cooler on the 1366 rig.
>>
preapplied thermal paste often sucks dicks OP
>>
>>59455546
a8 6600k is 100W, trust me, I have one
the stock cooler is a 70mm one, yes it's loud as fuck on load

I deeply recommend you to use newer thermal paste on that, the a8 gets way too hot with old paste
>>
>>59455546

Paste expires in about 2 years so use some new paste. I only use the pre applied shit on intel coolers if its new and only going on top of an i3.
>>
You can use many things as thermal paste.
It's merely a malleable space-filling compound designed to improve thermal conductivity.
Try mayonnaise, toothpaste, or peanut butter.
It will all work.
So will a direct connection without any paste.

The difference you're looking at is that commercial thermal paste lasts longer and conducts better.
Dry thermal paste shrinks and causes gaps.
I've never heard of anyone applying dry thermal paste, but my assumption is that it will not spread properly.
>>
>>59454708
Wipe off that pre applied paste with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs, then apply the Arctic silver
>>
File: ictcg1[1].gif (16KB, 452x318px) Image search: [Google]
ictcg1[1].gif
16KB, 452x318px
>>59455552

not really though
>>
>>59455419
>just get new fresh paste, it's never more than $12 or so man.

>>59455786
>Wipe off that pre applied paste with isopropyl alcohol and cotton swabs, then apply the Arctic silver

Yeah, you guys are probably right. I'll do what you say.
I have the Arctic Silver 5. The pre-applied paste may work or not, by why bother risking it?

Just thought I could save myself the hassle of cleaning the stuff off the i7 heatsink.

>>59455622
>a8 6600k is 100W, trust me, I have one

Really? AMD seems to say it's 65:

http://products.amd.com/en-us/search/APU/AMD-A-Series-Processors/AMD-A8-Series-APU-for-Desktops/A8-6600K-with-Radeon™-HD-8570D/61

>>59455718
>I've never heard of anyone applying dry thermal paste, but my assumption is that it will not spread properly.

The question is, *is* the i7-920 stock cooler's pre applied thermal paste dry at this point though?
>>
>>59456416
literally everywhere else it says 100W
>>
>>59454708
lick heatsink
shove it up your ass
snort artic silver
jack off until cum
use cum instead of thermal paste
remove heatsink of butt
firmly secure heatsink to the motherboard
???
profit
>>
>>59456416
even in amds site
http://shop.amd.com/en-us/search/AD660KWOHLBOX?affiliateID=prcwtb
>>
>>59454708
>wipe off stock paste
>apply arctic silver
>put in pc
This should've been obvious, you fucking /v/tard.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.