[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>sudo apt-get remove dolphin-emu >this is still here why

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 2

File: Screenshot_2017-03-17_17-53-35.png (10KB, 535x364px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2017-03-17_17-53-35.png
10KB, 535x364px
>sudo apt-get remove dolphin-emu
>this is still here

why the fuck can't I just uninstall a program without it leaving behind heaps of shit???
>>
File: 1487425853197.gif (764KB, 385x381px) Image search: [Google]
1487425853197.gif
764KB, 385x381px
>>59449030
>playing emulators

this is an 18+ board anon
>>
>what is purge
>>
purge, autoremove or something

you wouldn't believe how much crap do windows appz leave behind if uninstalled
>>
>>59449076
You freetards just can't stop talking about Windows.
>>
>>59449030
>debian
i am lmao'ing
>>
>>59449051
i didn't even get to play it, writerest: op out of range every time i tried to load a game

only way to fix it was to manually recompile or something

fuck that shit
>>59449069
okay, reinstalled then purged... it's still fucking there
>>
autoremoved, seems to be gone now

why are there three different commands to uninstall?
>>
>>59449173
read the manual son
>>
>>59449173
>why can't i hold all these features
>>
>>59449030
OS X/macOS does not have this problem. Software is contained within ~/Applications/Foo/* instead of the Linux approach of splitting everything across /usr/share/foo, /usr/bin/foo, /usr/etc/foo, and a million other places.

95% of apps can be "uninstalled" just by dragging the .app package to the trash. This leaves config/data files (~/.foo et al) but scraps everything else. 4% of apps have a GUI uninstaller. Maybe 1% need any kind of manual cleanup. Homebrew software is just `brew uninstall foo`. Feels good not having to worry about this Gee Enn You Slash Linux bullshit.
>>
gentoo doesn't have this problem.
>>
>>59449173
remove just uninstalls the program, it leaves config files in case you want to reinstall again later
the --purge option removes the config files
autoremove removes unused dependencies, which often persist after you uninstall a program. most programs in general require multiple other programs in order to run, these are installed automatically unless you specify otherwise

to do a complete removal of a software package you simply remove --purge then autoremove the unused dependencies, it's not complicated.
>>
>>59449051
>Frogposter calling anyone else underage
>>
>>59449173
dpkg -L <packagename>
>>
>>59449245
>95% of apps can be "uninstalled" just by dragging the .app package to the trash. This leaves config/data files (~/.foo et al) but scraps everything else.

So exactly what OP doesn't want. Okay.
>>
>>59449069
>>59449118
>okay, reinstalled then purged... it's still fucking there
TOLD
>>59449098
GFTO you RedHat JIDF shill
>>
--purge
>>
>>59449438
No, leaving files in ~/.foo is not the same thing as leaving portions scattered across the root filesystem. You usually don't want your config files/savegames/whatever to be deleted when you uninstall an app. That behaviour is common on mobile devices but pretty much unheard of anywhere else.
>>
>>59449030
This is the power of lincucks. Hobbyist projects. Everything is half assed, every package manager in every distribution will leave shit like this. Install plan 9.
>>
>>59449532
OP doesn't care where the files are, he just wants them gone. You're missing the point.
>>
>>59449245
Actually good programs leave their configs/data in ~/Library/Application Support/App. So if you delete that and .app it's good enough.
also >not brew cask zap $program or using something like appcleaner
>>
>>59449348
To be fair, these files should have been removed with the purge option, they aren't dependencies or other packages, they're config files.

But that's the fault of the package maintainer not the packaging system itself.
>>
>>59449030
Just use Revo uninstaller
>>
>>59449569
>>59449030
OP, report this as a bug to whomever the package maintainer is for your distro.

I'm assuming you're using Ubanto, if so:
http://packages.ubuntu.com/xenial/dolphin-emu
It's the Ubuntu MOTU team.
Don't report bugs like this to upstream developers, it's the package maintainer that needs to fix the .deb package in ubuntu.
>Unless you're using a PPA, then contact the PPA owner.
>>
>>59449051
>frogposting
>calling out minors
Pot calling the kettle black.
>>
>>59449030
Just use sudo dnf remove instead.
>>
>>59449546
You're the one who is missing the point, anon. Removing all traces of of application software is not the same thing as removing the work files it created. If you uninstall a 20GiB game, you're probably doing it to clear space; you probably don't want your saves wiped.

>>59449564
Thanks, I had forgotten the exact path so I just went with ~/foo.
>>
>>59449546
The point is it's a bug in the package and OP needs to report it to the Ubuntu MOTU team.
These files should be removed with purge, they should not need autoremove.

As for anyone claiming they should be removed with just apt-get remove - NO.
This is a very deliberate design choice and will not be change - WONTFIX.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.