[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the AMD FX-9590 obsolete? Newegg has them for $130 right now.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

File: download.jpg (8KB, 335x150px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 335x150px
Is the AMD FX-9590 obsolete? Newegg has them for $130 right now. Literally 5 GHz clock speed. 220W TDP though.

I'm building a machine to replace the temporary toaster that I bought after a power surge murdered the fuck out of my old laptop and I'm trying not to spend more than like $600. It's an old chip but all the benchmarks I can find put it pretty high up there. I don't really feel like spending $400 on a Ryzen 7, but I want something that I can keep and not have to fuck with for at least 5 years. I also don't really know what I'm doing, but I kind of know what I'm doing.

555 unrelated.
>>
>>59437991
That might sound really cheap but consider that you will also need a $100 water cooler
>>
>>59437991
They will almost always be outperformed by an i5 and you need to think about cooling with it as well. Is it for gaming? If so either get a cheap i5, the Pentium g4560 or wait for amd to release their r5 lineup processors, you can still use the 9590 but it's just not a very good option considering there is no upgrade path and the relitively poor performance.
>>
>>59437991
Oh, and also most AM3+ boards for normal people can't handle 220W so you'll need to pay the "gaming hardware" tax
>>
File: Photo Feb 07, 9 05 06 PM.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
Photo Feb 07, 9 05 06 PM.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
>>59438040
I do have that covered already.
>>59438044
Light gaming, yes. I predict that I'll eventually wander into VR. Looking a little harder, there don't seem to be many AM3+ boards out there with PCIe 3.0, which is kinda shit. At least not that I'm seeing. R5 is looking like a better and better option.

The main reason I need a decent machine is CAD work and modeling. I do a lot of 3D printing, and some of the meshes you have to work with get crazy huge, and slicing takes a good bit of computation to do with any expediency. That's my primary use. Honestly, gaming is just a bonus to me.

>>59438063
Yeah honestly fuck that. R5 it is.

The R7 1600 and 1700X are a little cheaper, but still expensive. Thoughts?
>>
>>59438258
The 1700 is probably your best bet since you say you work with Cad and such where more cores would be more beneficial (even though it's a bit pricey) so either get that or wait for the cheaper 6 core lineup when it's out
>>
>>59437991
All of AMD's old lineup, and about half of Intel's, just got obseleted. Thanks Ryzen.
>>
The entire FX series is fucking trash, proven over and over again
Get a 1700
>>
>>59437991
Probably not worth it, if R5 1600 is 219$. Unless you are a collector or have such reasons to have them as oddity.

The FX-9590 and FX-8370 have such a high leakage that they will have high power consumption even when you play with mild underclocking and undervolting.

At same voltage/clock, their power draw is higher than that of regular FX like 8300 or 8350.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.