[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I am about to finish my AA in cybersecurity and honestly I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: 1475697632559.png (7KB, 218x232px) Image search: [Google]
1475697632559.png
7KB, 218x232px
So I am about to finish my AA in cybersecurity and honestly I did not learn too much. No way I feel prepared for anything above help desk. Basically wondering if any infosec, networking or even IT guys can tell me what I should work on teaching myself such as skills and knowledge so I don't look like a jackass when I start applying.
>>
>>59437694
you should have a lab by now to practice, and if you already have not been doing interviews and getting job offers you picked the wrong school
>>
>>59437732
lol its just community college, and I tried and they only offered me some unpaid internships.
>>
Depends what you're looking for. Can you pick some moderately difficult CVE and write an exploit, perhaps finish some of the wargames out there? Then you do have a future.

If not, you're doomed to be a tardy monkey installing windows AVs at worst, running metasploit and printing nmap reports at best.

That said the segment is somewhat hyped recently, and general public is adequately clueless. It's a bit like making websites in the 90s. PHBs can't easily tell if you suck at it.

Try to avoid peers if you suck and socialize instead, steal their credit etc if you can. Generally try to avoid oldschool infosecfaggtory, which is a ruthless meritocracy.

>>59437762
If you manage to get a job, prepare for massive ripoff initially, you can't ask for much at this point, especially w/o CS degree. If you luck out, you can make it as a corporate rat on the ladder.
>>
>>59437694
Go for a Bs
>>
>>59437869
So are you saying I should learn more languages and write my own stuff?
>>
>>59438135
>more languages
For infosecfaggtory, many go with just C, Python/Ruby for a loong while (until they realize being religious about it is self-defeating).

At some point the concept of 'learning' a programming language becomes moot, as there are only 4 programming languages you need to be familiar with - assembly (and how cpus work in general), pure fp, ml and algol families - it's just an old hat over and over with same semantics.
>>
>>59438253
not op, few of my college professors have Offensive Security ceritificates above many other, are they any good ? i want to go for Wi-Fu 1st its only 450$ (cheapest one, well kind of expensive for my budget) aslo i have quite the experience in debuggin and wirting exploits but not like 0-day ones...
>>
If you don't know how to use a debugger like gdb then you've learned nothing and should ask for a god damn refund.
>>
What are the best ways to study cyber/info security?

What about at home if employed?
>>
Get a job at a network operation center. Absorb as much info as possible teaching yourself a generally useful programming language like python as well as networking fundamentals. Familiarize yourself with linux/gnu and the tools it provides. You need to understand what your protecting before you can protect it.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.