[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I disassembled an old laptop for fun and this is its motherboard.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: DSC_0077.jpg (2MB, 1944x2592px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0077.jpg
2MB, 1944x2592px
I disassembled an old laptop for fun and this is its motherboard. There are two chips close to the CPU socket, one of them says ATI Radeon Graphics so obviously that's the GPU, but what do you think the other chip might be? It's about the same size as the processor.

And what about that Intel chip at the bottom?
>>
File: DSC_0073.jpg (1MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0073.jpg
1MB, 2592x1944px
A somewhat closer look at the two chips

Also is it worth it to sell the components, assuming there are people who buy this shit? There's an Intel Centrino 2 cpu, a couple sticks of laptop DDR2 RAM, an intel WLAN adapter, a DVD drive, screen that looks like 15 inches (dunno about the resolution, probably 1366x768) and a motherboard full of chips and whatnot.
>>
>>59433071
Chipset SATA controller you fucking nigger
Just google the IC UUID,
It's an Intel 82801IBM/IEM (ICH9M/ICH9M-E) 4 port SATA Controller
>>
>>59433108
There is nothing there worth money, throw it in the trash
>>
>>59433071
The one close to CPU socket is northbridge, he one with Intel label is southbridge.

Here you see the historical reason why the "platform controller hubs" (H110 etc) are called "chipsets". It used to be 2 chips or more in distant past.
>>
>>59433071

There used to be a southbridge and a northbridge chip on motherboards. That was before memory controlers were integrated to the CPU.
>>
>>59433646
>>59433838
Cool

You learn something new every day I guess
>>
File: $_58.jpg (68KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
$_58.jpg
68KB, 640x480px
>>59434174
Also, there was a time when processor manufacturers and chipset manufacturers were separate
>>
>>59435064
Why did that change?
>>
File: Sep23-05.jpg (695KB, 1564x969px) Image search: [Google]
Sep23-05.jpg
695KB, 1564x969px
>>59437043
Chipset market got big enough during the P1/P2 era so CPU vendors stopped ignoring it. And since CPU interfaces got increasingly more complex and finicky, third-party companies couldn't make chipsets as polished and efficient as CPU vendors themselves.
>>
>>59437043
>>59437280
Also, around the time of VLB to PCI switchover, there were some horrible chipsets on the market. Any chipset with both VLB and PCI was inherently crap.

I think Intel & AMD started making their own chipsets out of self preservation because the chinks, I mean Taiwanese were doing a shit job.
>>
>>59437280
Another reason is that producing chipsets allowed CPU vendors to continue making use of older silicon manufacturing tech - chipsets can be several process nodes behind CPUs because chip size and energy efficiency are far less of an issue (though that does sometimes produce chimeras like some early Atom ITX boards with a 4W CPU and a 20W chipset)
>>
>>59437332
VLB was inherently crap just by itself
>Boards must be like 20" long even if they have 2 chips and 5 resistors
>Can't support more than 1-2 cards or becomes unstable
>Mildly fucked with non-Intel "486-compatible" CPUs
>Completely fucked with Pentiums
>>
>>59433122
How the fuck did you read that? This idiot can't be assed to take a clear picture
>>
>>59437582
It's readable when zoomed and there aren't many possible options anyway.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.